Fact or Not vol.1 :Athletes are allot softer now than back in the day

Options
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
So now it seems like allot of former players talk about "back in my day.....". Which is understandable its always happened. But i think that the notion players are "softer" might not be true.

I was watching the elway to marino documentary and John Elway was acting like a ? not wanting to play in cold weather. Lets not turn this into a jordan vs lebron debate of skill but Jordan cried when he got cut from high school. Hid dad died and he quit the sport.

Also allot of players who are strong and powerful aren't soft they just can't get away with as much. In football you can't hit the QB not the players fault its the rules comitte. In the nba you cant handcheck and get away with as much foul wise. And then you have the politically correct ? . You can't fight a player cause youll be fined and loose sponsorships. you can talk ? negative or the media hops on your back. So what do you think are players in sports softer or is it just the rules and being politically correct has made them curb how they act?

Fact or Not vol.1 :Athletes are allot softer now than back in the day 35 votes

Fact (Athletes are softer noadays)
34%
GlockLesnar The Lonious MonkIbexits....JOHN BMister B._Menace_WhoisDonG???purpngoldSupremeXXVHyenaKillaSleepwalkingInJapanvince_vince 12 votes
Not (the rules have changed/you have to be politically correct)
65%
goodlookinoutplaymaker88marc123almighty breezeKNiGHTSthemadlionsfanking hassandamobb2deepunspoken_respectCoolJoeMr.LVCallMeWelvinBDBIIDNothingButTheTruthnumbaz...80's babyMR.CJAristo_V300nj2089MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14CashmoneyDux 23 votes
Undecided/Other (explain)
0%

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being soft and flopping didn't win games 20 years ago, but it does now.

Having a top flopper on your team in the NBA has replaced the need for a "Goon".
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    naw....athletes aren't softer...it has more to do with the rule changes than anything....look at the NFL....everytime the NFL changes a rule the players raise hell....they don't want these soft ass rules....they want to be able to hit...same thing with the NHL........NBA is another conversation though.....the physicality was slowly being taken out of the game due to the flagrant foul rule.....you all have your hero Michael Jeffrey Jordan to blame for that one.....
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Athletes in football are bigger and faster than even 15 years ago so no, you have to protect the players to account for the new age athletes.

For basketball yea your thread premise works
  • Sage Wonder
    Sage Wonder Members Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's more right to say current athletes are more spoiled. There is no real evidence that suggests they would be any softer if playing under old rules.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Athletes in football are bigger and faster than even 15 years ago so no, you have to protect the players to account for the new age athletes.

For basketball yea your thread premise works

completely agree about football but the same could be said about basketball. While size has only changed slightly many of the big men for example would not be able to handle a forward or center who can shoot a midrange 2 and force them to guard outside the paint. Same with the explosive point guards compaired to guards back in the 80s or 70s who were not as explosive.

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea but those big men are more euro finesse than gritty 90's 80s ball. Big men were enforcers back in the day, now all they are asked to do is rebound
  • keez.
    keez. Members Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Players nowadays will say whatever the respective commissioners tell them to and are "soft" for not truly sticking to their guns on certain issues and how they feel about them. Look at the "coming out" of NBA and NFL players being ? . Some guy will Tweet how he feels about it, only to turn around the next day and offer some apology at a press conference for his comments. Physically, the players are still prime physical specimens, yet rely to much on crying about the tiniest bit of contact they feel. "Oh, Ref, Ricky Rubio breathed in my direction...isn't that a tech ???". I actually liked it better when you had villainous headliners on NFL teams and "Goons" like Charles Oakley and Bill Laimbeer on the court. :D
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I don't see the problem with ? becoming less physical to an extent.

I'm tired of hearing about athletes either dying early due to injuries they received during their careers, going crazy and killing themselves or others, or ending up with diseases.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quite the broad generalization
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I don't see the problem with ? becoming less physical to an extent.

I'm tired of hearing about athletes either dying early due to injuries they received during their careers, going crazy and killing themselves or others, or ending up with diseases.

you right tho the same ? talmbout back in the day blah blah. Then 5 mins later they filing a lawsuit against the nfl like "i didn't know it was gunna be this hurt!"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • goodlookinout
    goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No way in hell cats can play like they did 30 yrs ago ? stronger more athletic cats be dead out here if the rules from years ago was in effect
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    don't hate the player, hate the game
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No way in hell cats can play like they did 30 yrs ago ? stronger more athletic cats be dead out here if the rules from years ago was in effect

naaaa b, the stronger more athletic players your talking about are playing against stronger more athletic players so that cancels itself out.

some of y'all missing the point though, what's happening is with every year that goes by, more and more corporations get involved in sports, and more corporations start making more money, and so, star players are becoming increasingly more profitable and so, corporations and insurance companies are forcing the leagues to do more to protect players which of course leads to softer rules, cause at the end of the day, the more money the corporations make the more money the league ends up making.

this doesn't mean players themselves are getting soft. I'm sure if the same rules for 20 years ago existed, the majority of current players would be playing that way. so it seems the game itself is getting soft.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    voting no and not for the reason listed
  • SupremeXXV
    SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL, no. Rules changed the game. NBA yes. The fact that every dude in the league screams "AYYYE!" when they get to the rim annoys the hell out of me. I can't be mad when stars do it, but guys like Jeremy Lin? Really? They even added that sound effect in 2K13, smh.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    TC should have limited this to the NBA. That's really the only sport that's debatable. And in that case it's true. When you got the best player in the league whining about a dude pulling him down after he tried to run through that guy, you can see softness goes from the top on down.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, times change and the game had evolved. They are only as tough as the game requires. Those older players would have reformed too or payed the fines and ultimately ended up suspended.

Them old ? need to sit down.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    TC should have limited this to the NBA. That's really the only sport that's debatable. And in that case it's true. When you got the best player in the league whining about a dude pulling him down after he tried to run through that guy, you can see softness goes from the top on down.

Part of the "whinning" is political tho. Like mark jackson ? as a coach and players ? is to change the refs minds and many key players and coaches can mentally alter the refs by complaining. And even if physical ball was the norm lebron would body most of the old school forwards because he is built by a linebacker.

Him and many players play within whats only allowed now but with how build and fast these forwards are if they were conditioned with a tougher brand of ball in a different era they would ? ? up. Even ? like durant who look like they have never seen a gym are stronger than you think.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya'll are kinda arguing against yourselves. You're basically admitting these dudes are softer, but it's because that's how the game is nowadays. I can agree with that.
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The rules have become stricter. You can't do anything that's too physical or you will get fined. You can't touch these wide receivers or quarterbacks now. You can't knock somebody whose driving down the lane on their ass. No handchecking, etc.

If you do, your pockets will lighten.