? in Rome

Options
bambu
bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in R & R (Religion and Race)
So when a section of Roma's supporters began to make monkey noises at Boateng and Balotelli on Sunday, both players knew that there was little they could do in response. As Blatter himself had reminded the club back in January, teams that abandon games will typically be made to forfeit them.

http://youtu.be/oaDmOZkJ6s0

http://youtu.be/FStzI8BTFAE

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i be trying to tell people.....its just as racist across seas as anywhere
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Look how they act towards their immigrants. Funny ? is, they bought it on themselves by invading other countries for cool points.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is why I trip out when people claim Europe is less racist than the US. Really, fans in the US might say some racist ? too, but this mass scale racism at sporting events has been dead for decades here.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    This is why I trip out when people claim Europe is less racist than the US. Really, fans in the US might say some racist ? too, but this mass scale racism at sporting events has been dead for decades here.
    honestly, that statement only gets thrown out there by people who want to bash the US and say the Europeans are more cosmopolitan or with-it or whatever. i think we all know it's bogus, right?

• Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only reason i cam i here is cuz, on the home page it looked like @Weezee made this thread
  • HYPER_VERBAL
    HYPER_VERBAL Members Posts: 31
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    Look how they act towards their immigrants. Funny ? is, they bought it on themselves by invading other countries for cool points.

Your Sig is Hilarious Bruh..

• bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WeeZee wrote: »
    Italian football fans are especially bad.

Probably doesn't help that ballotelli almost single handedly rescued AC's season, the man is incredibly talented, which probably adds to the hatred.

Word.....

I dont really follow soccer, but dude is nice......

http://youtu.be/W4emZZK1hfk

And he has been putting up with this ? for a while now............

http://youtu.be/adAUMIIhqCs
  • ChicagoBears
    ChicagoBears Members Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not surprised. I lived in Madrid for half a year and def suffered racial abuse. Went to a festival in Cadiz and people were dressed in blackface as monkeys. When I came there with my roommate, they chanted monkey noises. Since I'm in a foreign land, I can't ? these ? up, so I had to walk away. I hope to attain some type of wealth, imagine if there were BLACK owners of a premier league team.......or a European team that was champions league material for that matter.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Probably doesn't help that ballotelli almost single handedly rescued AC's season, the man is incredibly talented, which probably adds to the hatred.

I used to watch Italian league when I went back to college back in the early 90's. U.C. Sampdoria was my favorite team back then. They won the Italian Cup that year (93/94) led by Ruud Gullit back when he still had dreads. I don't remember any monkey noises or anything like that during any of the matches I watched, so this must really be a recent phenom.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options

I used to watch Italian league when I went back to college back in the early 90's. U.C. Sampdoria was my favorite team back then. They won the Italian Cup that year (93/94) led by Ruud Gullit back when he still had dreads. I don't remember any monkey noises or anything like that during any of the matches I watched, so this must really be a recent phenom.

Bro, 93 is 20 years ago.. A lot has happened since then..
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

Bro, 93 is 20 years ago.. A lot has happened since then..

Nah, they were doing it back then too. I'm guessing buddy didn't notice it because FIFA hasn't made a big deal about stopping it until recently.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crackers are racist? Shocker.

And thinking American racism is any "better" is ridiculous. White Americans came from EUROPE. THis is just the status quo. I think most whites dont even mind this type of ? . They're just embarrassed that the things they say behind closed doors is now unpopular in the media.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Racism by hooligans is a real problem in Europe. It isn't taken seriously by the FIFA and the footballfans. Officials pay lipservice to the problem, but by their inactivity to combat this they show where their priorities really lie.

Balotelli has been dealing with severe forms of racism since he was a child. That's probably why he acts the way he does. Italians are nationalist and xenofobe. They still reference the Romans' past, eventhough their empire fell 1500 years ago. I won't say all Italians are the same, but alot of them are not too fond of black people and are not afraid to let their racism show. A politician called a black minister from Congo a monkey among other things just a few weeks ago.

Crazy thing is AS Roma doesn't even have the most racist firm in Rome. Lazio Roma has a rep for having one of the most racist firms in western Europe. Leagues in England, Germany and Holland to a lesser extent have successfully combatted racism in the stadiums through media campaigns, fining of clubs and repression by police. Southern and eastern European leagues, especially in countries like Russia and Ukraine, are notorious for their racism. Didier Drogba was racially abused by Turkish hooligans. That kinda surprised me because I have some Turkish and Kurdish friends didn't know Turks were racist like that.

Yeah they had a great team with Gullit, Mancini, Lombardo etc. back then. Racism was actually worse back then.
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what else would you expect from these ravioli, spaghetti eating greasy ? ............................? act like italians aint never been racist
  • ChicagoBears
    ChicagoBears Members Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    Racism by hooligans is a real problem in Europe. It isn't taken seriously by the FIFA and the footballfans. Officials pay lipservice to the problem, but by their inactivity to combat this they show where their priorities really lie.

Balotelli has been dealing with severe forms of racism since he was a child. That's probably why he acts the way he does. Italians are nationalist and xenofobe. They still reference the Romans' past, eventhough their empire fell 1500 years ago. I won't say all Italians are the same, but alot of them are not too fond of black people and are not afraid to let their racism show. A politician called a black minister from Congo a monkey among other things just a few weeks ago.

Crazy thing is AS Roma doesn't even have the most racist firm in Rome. Lazio Roma has a rep for having one of the most racist firms in western Europe. Leagues in England, Germany and Holland to a lesser extent have successfully combatted racism in the stadiums through media campaigns, fining of clubs and repression by police. Southern and eastern European leagues, especially in countries like Russia and Ukraine, are notorious for their racism. Didier Drogba was racially abused by Turkish hooligans. That kinda surprised me because I have some Turkish and Kurdish friends didn't know Turks were racist like that.

Yeah they had a great team with Gullit, Mancini, Lombardo etc. back then. Racism was actually worse back then.

Bro, I have traveled all over the world and I can tell you, this one country (Russia) is one place I have absolutely NO desire to go to. I feel if I stepped foot in Moscow on some tourist ? , I would not come out of there un-scathed. Those neo-? /nationalist groups over there are NO joke. You are probably aware of this, but over the past few years they have been randomly attacking immigrants who live over there. Imagine you are just walking to the store to get eggs or something and all of a sudden you are jumped by 10-15 people, possibly to the point of death. Its ridiculous. I would love to be a team owner just to ? those racists ? off..
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bro, I have traveled all over the world and I can tell you, this one country (Russia) is one place I have absolutely NO desire to go to. I feel if I stepped foot in Moscow on some tourist ? , I would not come out of there un-scathed. Those neo-? /nationalist groups over there are NO joke. You are probably aware of this, but over the past few years they have been randomly attacking immigrants who live over there. Imagine you are just walking to the store to get eggs or something and all of a sudden you are jumped by 10-15 people, possibly to the point of death. Its ridiculous. I would love to be a team owner just to ? those racists ? off..
    Yeah Russia is real bad. An Angolan guy told me these black foreign exchange students can't leave their compound. Russian society condones those attacks and police is real lax. These skinheads even film their attacks and nothing happens to 'em. I've seen documentaries. They don't just attack blacks, but also Russian minorities like people from the caucasus region, people from central Asian republics like Kazakhstan and Russian Jews. I've been to alot of eastern European countries like Czech republic, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungaria and Greece, but I'd never set foot in Russia. ? these racist animals...

• edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is crazy, I didnt know it was like that...at all, shouldve suspected it tho
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Yeah Russia is real bad. An Angolan guy told me these black foreign exchange students can't leave their compound. Russian society condones those attacks and police is real lax. These skinheads even film their attacks and nothing happens to 'em. I've seen documentaries. They don't just attack blacks, but also Russian minorities like people from the caucasus region, people from central Asian republics like Kazakhstan and Russian Jews. I've been to alot of eastern European countries like Czech republic, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungaria and Greece, but I'd never set foot in Russia. ? these racist animals...

? ain't just in Russia though. I went to grad school with a dude from Austria, and he was telling me how badly they treat the African immigrants there. He basically said that the government created a setup that pretty much guaranteed those people would be treated badly. The government allowed a bunch of African refugees to come into the country, but forbade them from getting a job. So as a result, the only thing they could do to make money is criminal ? like selling drugs. As a result all the "good" Austrian citizens associated blacks with drug dealers and now hate them.