So Johnny Depp is basically going Red Faced in the Lone Ranger?

Options
The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
Really? They couldn't find a Native or at least a Mexican to play that role? How you just going to have Johnny Depp dressing up like an Native and trying to use his best Native voice?

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Daniel Day-Lewis was a Mohican.

Tom Cruise was the last samurai.

Leo DiCaprio was an Irishman.

There others I can't remember but this ? has been going on for years.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »

I'll give you Daniel Day but the others don't fit.

Tom Cruise played a white man taken in and trained by Samurai ala Dances with Wolves, Avatar, etc...

Leo DiCaprio may not be Irish but he's still white. They didn't have him playing a completely different race.

? is just unnecessary are enough actors in Hollywood with Native ancestry that they could have got one to play this role. They would just rather have Depp pretend to be Native so that they could use his name. ? is stupid.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    He gets a pass from most natives because he's always been sympathetic to their struggle. Since the days of when he was still a struggling actor in smaller films and not an A-lister. He's worked with a lot of charities for Native causes, he co-wrote and directed a movie where he starred as a struggling Native in modern stolen from the natives America trying to make ends meet which is something that is a reality in America everyday.

He was adopted as an honorary son by a member of the Comanche Nation sometime last year. He feels in tune with Native Americans and has spent a lot of time with them over the years also has gone on the record saying

"I guess I have some Native American (in me) somewhere down the line. My great grandmother was quite a bit of Native American, she grew up Cherokee or maybe Creek Indian. Makes sense in terms of coming from Kentucky, which is rife with Cherokee and Creek."

"The interesting thing, if you find out you've got Native American blood, which a lot of people do, is you think about where it comes from and go back and read the great books (on the subject)... you have to think, somewhere along the line, 'I'm the product of some horrific ? '. You just have that little sliver in your chemical make-up."

He associates with them and respects their plight too much for him to just mock it. So even though I have no interest in this movie I don't think he's going to play a caricature running around in circles and tapping his open mouth with his palm as he howls. It will probably end up being one of the more authentic Native American portrayals in mainstream hollywood history.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    He gets a pass from most natives because he's always been sympathetic to their struggle. Since the days of when he was still a struggling actor in smaller films and not an A-lister. He's worked with a lot of charities for Native causes, he co-wrote and directed a movie where he starred as a struggling Native in modern stolen from the natives America trying to make ends meet which is something that is a reality in America everyday. He feels in tune with them and has spent a lot of time with them over the years also has gone on the record saying

"I guess I have some Native American (in me) somewhere down the line. My great grandmother was quite a bit of Native American, she grew up Cherokee or maybe Creek Indian. Makes sense in terms of coming from Kentucky, which is rife with Cherokee and Creek."

"The interesting thing, if you find out you've got Native American blood, which a lot of people do, is you think about where it comes from and go back and read the great books (on the subject)... you have to think, somewhere along the line, 'I'm the product of some horrific ? '. You just have that little sliver in your chemical make-up."

He associates with them and respects their plight too much for him to just mock it. So even though I have no interest in this movie I don't think he's going to play a caricature running around in circles and tapping his open mouth with his palm as he howls. It will probably end up being one of the more authentic Native American portrayals in mainstream hollywood history.

That kinda gives him a pass, but not Hollywood. It's a Native American character. It's stupid to use a non Native actor, even if that actor is cool with Natives. And it is going to be somewhat of a charicature. You can already tell that just by the dialog given in the trailer. Not to say it's horrible, but it is definitely representative of the standard Native American stereotype portrayed in movies.

• Broddie
    edited May 2013
    Options

That kinda gives him a pass, but not Hollywood. It's a Native American character. It's stupid to use a non Native actor, even if that actor is cool with Natives. And it is going to be somewhat of a charicature. You can already tell that just by the dialog given in the trailer. Not to say it's horrible, but it is definitely representative of the standard Native American stereotype portrayed in movies.

The bold may be so from a moral standpoint but it's just a studio protecting their investment and Hollywood is immoral central. Are there any notable Native American actors in Hollywood right now? no. That's how they look at it.

Even if you cast an unknown Native in the role the lead actor is an unknown himself. Last couple of times Walt Disney Pictures invested in a live action movie that cost this much to make & went with unknowns in the key roles it didn't really work out how they had hoped (John Carter, TRON Legacy). Despite the latter being a minor enough success that they're slowly working on a followup had it performed up to their expectations we would've been seen TRON 3 by now.

The truth is they went with a guy who helped them get one of their most successful franchises off the ground [the franchise which finally made him an A-lister at that] because it was safe. Reason being that like those previous 2 movies I mentioned this movie is a risky investment because it's a premise that may fail with general audiences as it is. So a familiar A-lister in a key role to entice general audience could help it's cause. Again; investment protection. I think Depp is even getting top billing in the marketing.

Especially since it reteams him with the director with whom he made them billions of dollars with in the past. They already have an established chemistry as far as being creative collaborators is concerned and Disney feels that is a good omen considering how lightning struck last time they gave both these guys a lot of money to make them big money back.

I can't comment on the trailer because I haven't seen it since I have 0 interest in The Lone Ranger but that's just the way politics in the entertainment industry work. Capitalism trumps morals every single time.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options

They established the fact that his character was a white kid who was adopted by his Mohican dad after his biological parents were murdered.

• theBlackbeard
    theBlackbeard Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He is part Native American though technically

Word. Everybody got Indian in they family huh?

But what is the Native American community saying about this? Black people like to ? about race, even when it's not our race with the issue. Can't turn a good bitchfest down.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Word. Everybody got Indian in they family huh?

But what is the Native American community saying about this? Black people like to ? about race, even when it's not our race with the issue. Can't turn a good bitchfest down.

its not ? ....white people threw a hissy fit when edris played hemdal in thor, when fishburne got to play perry in the new superman, when the creator of ? Of War said if a film was ever played he would like djimoun to play kratos and when spiderman in an alternate universe was killed and a half black half hispanic kid took up the mantel in the comic....

how is this ? ...just pointing out the hypocrisy of hollywood...

we dont think a film about a independent african nation will play out good but hey lets make film where a kraka plays a classic indian character
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can see how people would get upset, but how is the studio supposed to pass up on a name like johnny depp.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    good info... I figured he had some type of pass...
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

LOL

If you ask them, most Americans are part Native American.

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    from what I've read
    seems they actually went thru extension lengths
    to not offend or make a mockery of the character

even had the Tribe leaders view the film (they were on set for the entire shoot)
    and "edit" out ? if it wasn't historically accurate to their customs
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    from what I've read
    seems they actually went thru extension lengths
    to not offend or make a mockery of the character

even had the Tribe leaders view the film (they were on set for the entire shoot)
    and "edit" out ? if it wasn't historically accurate to their customs

It's still stupid. At the end of the day, they are making a ? movie that requires them to basically bend the race of a character just so they can hire a famous actor in hopes of salvaging the movie. Heaven forbid they actually make the movie good enough to stand on its own and then hire an actor based on how well they fit the character rather than how much money they can bring in off his name alone.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Money >>>>>>>>> values

It's the movie business not the movie charity & consciousness association. You guys all accept garbage from hollywood that's already false anyway (Transformers movies with all their racist ? , Fast & Furious with their racial stereotypes for blacks and latinos etc.) so I don't see why get so bent out of shape over something even Native Americans ain't really sweating.
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's with white people claiming Native heritage? Because it gives them more of a right to be here? ? disgusting.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    next thing you know they'll have a blackman tryna play Jesus.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    s

I'll give you Daniel Day but the others don't fit.

Tom Cruise played a white man taken in and trained by Samurai ala Dances with Wolves, Avatar, etc...

Leo DiCaprio may not be Irish but he's still white. They didn't have him playing a completely different race.

? is just unnecessary are enough actors in Hollywood with Native ancestry that they could have got one to play this role. They would just rather have Depp pretend to be Native so that they could use his name. ? is stupid.

Day-Lewis was actually a white man taken in by the Mohicans too I believe...

Cameron Diaz is also a spaniard trying to play an Irishwoman. My last name is O'Neill B... I pay attention to these things.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    What's with white people claiming Native heritage? Because it gives them more of a right to be here? ? disgusting.

They don't in Minnesota. People who live near reservations generally don't want that association.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    But yes... Depp is playing an Indian... he isn't an Indian... I can think critically enough to see the difference in the movies I pointed out. I'm just trying to point out that this kind of preposterousness in Hollywood isn't anything new.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

They don't in Minnesota. People who live near reservations generally don't want that association.

That's cool but everywhere else in the United States they do... I cant count how many white people be like, I'm 1/8 Blackfoot or my grandmother is 3/4 Cherokee... ? is ? ...
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options

That's cool but everywhere else in the United States they do... I cant count how many white people be like, I'm 1/8 Blackfoot or my grandmother is 3/4 Cherokee... ? is ? ...

Black people, too:

"Really, my great, great grandfather was from [insert tribe here]"

• Will Munny
    Options

I agree. Everytime somebody comes out and says something like I was just wanna say "nobody gives a ? ."
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't see how ? are still shocked by this sorta thing. Its Hollywood. They don't give a ? about values or morals.