Superman Cena is Killing WWE. "long read."

Options
TheBossman
TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
WWE BLOWS IT WITH SUPERMAN JOHN CENA
By Mike Johnson on 2013-05-20 12:00:49
WWE blew it last night.

At Extreme Rules, a show that was pretty much pedestrian (minus a few Singapore Cane shots) until the top matches, WWE made the mistake of booking a non-finish in a Last Man Standing match on what was hyped as their most extreme night of the year.

For those of you who didn't order the show, WWE champion John Cena and challenger Ryback had a pretty fun brawl that eventually led them to the entrance stage. Cena attempted to nail the Attitude Adjustment off the stage but Ryback slipped away and grabbed Cena, plowing him through the LED light boards to parts unknown.

There are sparks of electricity and referee Charles Robinson put on his best 'WTF' face as he scampered to find out what happened to these combatants and where they disappeared to. We eventually discover Cena laid out precariously over some metal piping with Ryback also out cold on the concrete floor.

Now, let's ignore the fact that as a Last Man Standing match goes, the rules should have been that should Ryback get to his feet first (he did), Cena would be counted down and Ryback would be the champion. None of this happened. Instead, for the sake of all that was moral and for the sake of everyone's health, the match was halted.

Ryback walked off, with help. The last time we saw John Cena, he was being stretchered off to a hospital to be checked out.

Even if you disliked the non-finish as much as I did or felt it didn't do anything for either man, at least WWE now had the drama of Cena going to the hospital, which could conceivably lead to a bigger grudge match, some angry promos, Ryback claiming he was the true champion - something!

Instead, we learned on the PPV post game show that just minutes after he was put on the stretcher, Cena demanded to be taken off and of course, he was and walked off, seemingly of his own power, with several trainers helping him.

So, tonight on Raw, we can predict that John Cena will basically walk out like nothing happened, smile and cut some goofy promo that a big part of the audience rejects. So, the big bump, the Last Man Standing match, all of it - WILL HAVE BEEN FOR NOTHING.

A complete waste of time and money and with nothing to show for it. There will be no injuries sold. There will be no greater grudge. It will just be another episode of Raw that drolls on for three hours and forces everyone's eyes to glaze over because it's far too long and the nucleus of the show, Cena, is once again presented as a wisecracking superman who would die if he ever had to tell jokes to save his own life.

Cena gets compared to a lot of the older super-hero characters of WWE lore, but there's a major difference. When Hulk Hogan or Ultimate Warrior needed to be laid out to sell a big match or a big angle, they were and WWE treated it like it a national tragedy. Of course, they eventually returned, conquered and saved the day, but the drama - for what pro wrestling was at the time - was there and there were certainly doubts in the eyes of some of the fans that these characters might be defeated.

Compare Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy, Andre the Giant, hell even Paul Orndorff, to any John Cena feud.

Compare Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage to any John Cena feud.

The major difference is not that fans boo Cena. It's not that Cena's smiling. It's not the lame verbiage. It's that when the time came for the super-hero to get his ass kicked, get serious, and somehow find a way to come back and fight the good fight and vanquish their enemies, they did. But, they had to be knocked down before they stepped back up and faced their rivals.

John Cena, in comparison, just went through the wrestling equivalent of a car wreck (and possibly a fall down several feet) and walked away. How can anyone ever take Ryback seriously as a threat going forward? He damn near murdered Cena and Cena bounced back up like it meant nothing. So, if the unstoppable Ryback (who, actually, you know, hasn't won a PPV match in over half a year) can't get the job done, how is anyone supposed to take any other challenger seriously?

Don't even say Brock Lesnar to me either - Cena already beat him!

There is a new Superman movie coming out this summer and one of the reasons that it took forever for this most recent film to come out was a simple one - when you have an unstoppable hero, it's impossible to create sympathy for him because he can careen through anything and it's too much of a stretch to expect the audience to accept that.

WWE has gone far beyond any stretch of the imagination with John Cena. Last night was just the latest example of how stupid it comes across.

To take a cue from another DC Comics storyline, we need a year without Superman.

WWE needs to book John Cena as the babyface in peril and if they can't do that, well, it's time for John Cena to disappear for awhile. Until things change or he goes away long enough for the company to build other assets, WWE will continue to book him in a way that enables this silliness and place him into a position where he's the only horse that can pull the company cart.

By refusing to book Cena as anything but the Superman character, the company is cutting down their other potential stars one by one - either because they don't have faith in them or that the company has become so clueless, they don't see the landscape. Everyone from the Shield to Antonio Cesaro to Brock has fallen to Cena and for what?

It's time someone dropped a big piece of Kryptonite on John Cena the character for the sake of the entire company. It's time for Cena to step off the grind (one that has beaten him hard, based on all the injuries Michael Cole recounted last night) and it's time for WWE to stop blowing it by booking Superman Cena.

It's beyond done. It's not working. The audience, and quite frankly, the company itself, deserves better.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder, does anyone remember what that Jake Roberts said he hated the Attitude Era because it destroyed basic wrestling psychology?

If anyone knows Roberts, they know match psych was his strongest suit as a performer but he went off a few years ago about the 'E letting guys be hit with sledgehammers and coming back the next week with little more than a band-aid.

I agreed then, I agree now. Basic wrestling psychology should return. I didn't see last nights match but just from how the finish was described it defied logic. Cena was supposed to be injured going into the match, so basic psych says that Ryback can't even beat an injured Cena...let alone one that took a huge bump during the match itself.

Crazy stuff that is but the 'E made its millions off defying logic and building "larger than life" superheroes like SuperCena. I'm not surprised at all, that its still going on or that the older fans get the more offended they are that their intelligence is assaulted.
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cena getting thrown into LED light boards and searchlights is like a minor inconvience to him. That'd be like if anyone of us steps in gum. He's been fired and still shows up to RAW. Knowing his history, he'll be on RAW tonight like nothing ever happened and the merry-go-? -yourself of WWE storytelling will keep on spinning that ? .

Cena can't really do anything about it cause this is how WWE is portraying him. It's like a lose-lose/catch 22 like situation. You wanna build new stars? Sure go ahead but at some point, they're gonna have to meet up with Cena and we know how that will go. You wanna keep him out of the limelight? Risky but this company would be nothing without that. Let's see what we g.....Oh they all lost to Cena........? . He basically buried Alberto Del Rio and since that, I have not found the ? to give to Al.

I read that Cena doesnt have a Joker to his batman (or a luthor to his superman if you will) and that couldnt be more right. I cannot remember a match with Cena that the outcome was in doubt.
  • TheBossman
    Options
    Cena getting thrown into LED light boards and searchlights is like a minor inconvience to him. That'd be like if anyone of us steps in gum. He's been fired and still shows up to RAW. Knowing his history, he'll be on RAW tonight like nothing ever happened and the merry-go-? -yourself of WWE storytelling will keep on spinning that ? .

Cena can't really do anything about it cause this is how WWE is portraying him. It's like a lose-lose/catch 22 like situation. You wanna build new stars? Sure go ahead but at some point, they're gonna have to meet up with Cena and we know how that will go. You wanna keep him out of the limelight? Risky but this company would be nothing without that. Let's see what we g.....Oh they all lost to Cena........? . He basically buried Alberto Del Rio and since that, I have not found the ? to give to Al.

I read that Cena doesnt have a Joker to his batman (or a luthor to his superman if you will) and that couldnt be more right. I cannot remember a match with Cena that the outcome was in doubt.

edge was his joker, but he got injured and retired....
  • lookdude
    lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The day cena's character changes will be the start of a new era in WWE; but until then.........
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Man there's a great pic of super cena I can't find right now
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    super cena=whats wrong with wrestling
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Its not really Super Cena thats wrong its the Writers Cena is just following orders
  • ex-soldier
    ex-soldier Members Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://youtu.be/DSbpNJDR81U

I can't even eat my favorite cereal anymore.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hes been killing WWE for the last 8 yrs (can u believe its been that long??) thats how long hes been the top guy, he wasnt on RAW tonight, but him getting off the stretcher was so wack and made ryback look mad weak, i dunno what else they can do with him, only other option is to make him go away for months and i mean MONTHS, but u know thats never gonna happen
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Six years too late.. I woulda wrote this after Cena beat the Great Khali and Umaga in a handicap match by himself on Saturday Night main event... clean.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no, CM Punk is his Joker...
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    John Cena has only lost one clean match in 2012 and that was against the rock at wrestlemania 28 all his other matches he lost was by interference or distractions.

Now you got this current situation with Ryback,John Cena had an Achilles injury still wrestles he gets his ankle bashed in to with a steel chair by Ryback a week before extreme rules.Then a last man standing match is made for the wwe championship john gets thrown into LED lights knocked out cold but still leaves as wwe champ even though ryback was standing lol.Its like it is unfathomable at this point that anybody on the WWE Roster can beat John Cena cleanly.

cena_display_image.jpg?1290230422
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    His superpowers even defied the last man standing rules....
  • jono
    Options
    Hulkamania ran wild for 10 years. Cena will be matching that soon.
  • TheBossman
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Hulkamania ran wild for 10 years. Cena will be matching that soon.

he debuted n 2002, got a wwe title shot in 2003. it's been 10 years.
  • jono
    Options
    He hasn't been on top 10yrs though, he didn't win his first title until 05. Its only been 8, in two more years the C-Nation will be 10yrs strong...its coming. Nothing will happen to his spot before then, then he will probably be phased out.

Bruno was champ for 7-8 years straight, Bob Backlund for 5 years straight and backlund was only cut short because Hogan was on the horizon.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    And yet he's nowhere near as big as Hulk was
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cena is the reason i want to fight white people from boston
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And yet he's nowhere near as big as Hulk was

hogan allowed for his character to evolve...he took losses, he cheated to win, he was beaten and embarassed...cena is written as perfection
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Bring back Stone Cold to defeat Cena
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm currently training to get into the WWE so that I can really ? him up and put him out permanently, don't worry guys.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm taking a break from WWE. Wake me up when HHH takes over and Cena eventually gets shot by a a IWC psychopath ....but Cena may rise over that too.

Will I may quit wrestling altogether then.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? imagine if cena beat taker at mania for the wwe title and ended the streak?? I could see fans storming the ring with knives and machetes, cena wouldn't make it out alive, it would be as worse as one night stand 06, cena lost but he still had to run into a car and get the hell outta Hammerstein ballroom
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheBoyRo wrote: »
    ? imagine if cena beat taker at mania for the wwe title and ended the streak?? I could see fans storming the ring with knives and machetes, cena wouldn't make it out alive, it would be as worse as one night stand 06, cena lost but he still had to run into a car and get the hell outta Hammerstein ballroom

It would be a riot at wrestlemania.