Marcus Garvey and ?

Options

Comments

• bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »
    You told me about how you got ran out of yo spot by some young ? in one of these recent threads. When you said "young ? " I figured you have to be 30+

I just added 5 years to 30 for comedic effect..

No, I told you how I got into a fight with some young ? ....

For the record.....

Bambu's real life fight record....

16-1-2

Don't ? around and be #17.....

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

The concept of the repudiation of desire is deceptively evil, mankind needs desire and craving acceptance of the world as it is and the ability to deal with it in a positive way is what makes you a better person. in other words learn to deal with your nature so that you can change it and be reborn, pretending that you can escape life and attain buddhahood is simply another way of saying run away.

^^^ makes no sense. Care to try again?
    There is no buddhahood no enlightenment

Maybe it's just not for you
    you meditate in vain.

Mindfulness meditation has been proven successful and revered by medical professionals.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    And as expected, you can clearly see @bambu trying to avoid a debate topic..
    LOL @ "the ? is golden era biased". 35 and still posting on the IC? Ugghh

His age has nothing to do with it 35 year olds post here for the same reasons they watch tv.

^^^ feelings. You don't have to explain yourself to me.

Feelings for what?? it's the truth.

Because you're 30+ as well. You caught feelings over what I said.
  • bambu
    Options
    So what????

Is there an age posting limit????

What are you 12?????

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

His age has nothing to do with it 35 year olds post here for the same reasons they watch tv.

Nah, in discussions like this age is irrelevant. If bambu is right he is right, if he is wrong he is wrong and it make no difference how old he is he could be 10000.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    bambu wrote: »

..they kicked yo ass huh
  • bambu
    Options

..they kicked yo ass huh

Negative......
  • Bodhi
    Options

Nah, in discussions like this age is irrelevant. If bambu is right he is right, if he is wrong he is wrong and it make no difference how old he is he could be 10000.

Nobody can live to 10000 years of age.
  • Bodhi
    Options

..they kicked yo ass huh

Negative......

Uh huh
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options

The concept of the repudiation of desire is deceptively evil, mankind needs desire and craving acceptance of the world as it is and the ability to deal with it in a positive way is what makes you a better person. in other words learn to deal with your nature so that you can change it and be reborn, pretending that you can escape life and attain buddhahood is simply another way of saying run away.

^^^ makes no sense. Care to try again?
    There is no buddhahood no enlightenment

Maybe it's just not for you
    you meditate in vain.

Mindfulness meditation has been proven successful and revered by medical professionals.

Buddhist think that by rejecting desire they are freeing themselves, but this is a hidden evil because avoiding attachments includes personal relationships and duty, this is pure selfishness and is self defeating to the claimed goals of buddhism.

without the craving for abundance we would still be living like this was the 8th century. Medical professionals have proven meditation to be good but not for reaching buddhahood because it does not exist.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I had to wack you for that. It's possible ? , just eat more green vegetables bruh.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    I embarrassed the mods......
    whaaat

• Bodhi
    Options
    [
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

I had to wack you for that. It's possible ? , just eat more green vegetables bruh.

Lmao.. I already eat enough.
  • Bodhi
    Options

1.) Buddhist think that by rejecting desire they are freeing themselves, but this is a hidden evil because avoiding attachments includes personal relationships and duty, this is pure selfishness and is self defeating to the claimed goals of buddhism.

2.) without the craving for abundance we would still be living like this was the 8th century. Medical professionals have proven meditation to be good but not for reaching buddhahood because it does not exist.

1.) Rejecting desire is rejecting the idea that things exist permanently. Buddhism says that all things are impermanent. Therefore, to live in a way that suggests they are not will cause suffering. Buddhism says that at the root of human suffering is a desire for permanence in a changing world. The idea is that we let go of that desire to accept life as it is and live in the present moment, free from desire.

2.) Letting go of craving does not mean we cannot advance society. Craving is the human desire for superfluous things. The point is to avoid being a glutton. In Buddhism, greed is one of the three poisons, along with hatred and delusion.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Oh yeah, @zombie.. I almost forgot.

Letting go of desire does not mean we cannot love family or friends friends or spouses. But we must not gain an unhealthy attachment to them. Many people make demands out of life and attach themselves to people or things that they believe they absolutely NEED in order to be happy. When/if those demands are unfortunately not met, many people refuse to be happy and give up on their lives. They do not understand impermanence. That does not mean we cannot grieve, but we cannot let impermanence destroy our happiness in this very moment. It is like a rose. The value of a real rose is much more than an artificial one. Although the fake rose lasts a lot longer and does not wither, the true beauty is in its impermanence.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Ahhh ? . In my first post, point #1, I said "we let go of desire to accept life as it is". It might be more clear if you read it as "we let go of desire AND accept life as it is" or "IN ORDER TO accept life as it is"... sorry.. I can see how that could be misinterpreted.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    alissowack wrote: »
    Being a Christian is believing that Jesus (or whatever his proper name is) is the Christ; the Son of ? that through his life, death and ressurection he saved the world from sin.

According to these readings, Garvey does not acknowledge this.

Garvey deep belief in christ and every thing you just said can clearly be seen in his poems

The call of heaven

I've come to learn the story
    Of Jesus in His bright glory;
    That home for sinners set so free
    By love for you and -love for me.

I bow to Thee, Son most Holy;
    In truth Thou art King of Glory.
    So save my soul and make me good
    That I may be where Eli stood.

Thy journey through grim Bethany
    Led to the Cross' sad agony;
    But now Thou art the Lord of Host,
    The Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Now send to me, Light of Glory,
    The message good, true and holy;
    For I am ready now for home,
    No longer in this vale to roam.

His poems do not reflect his "other" writings. If Oceanic's posts about Garvey are correct, he has this "I can save myself" mentality; that he has ? figured out and suggests that others should do the same. He treats Jesus's ministry as a mere example on how to live instead of Jesus being "the Life". Now, this is just based on the findings on this thread and could be a misrepresentation of where his life was when he wrote these things. He could just be a believer. I just don't see how he could be from my skimmings through the thread.

No. You need to read more of his writings oceanic's post and the conculsions he reaches about garvey and his teachings a erroneous and are based on one paragraph. garvey was a protestant christian and became a catholic shortly before he died. Garvey wrote this:

Let others in their sin, in their wickedness seek after the infant Life that Thou gaveist to all
    mankind. We in our simplicity shall find refuge for Thee even in the land of Egypt. Yes, the
    world of sinful, wicked men cried out "Crucify Him! Crucify Him! But Lord because Thou art
    our Master, because Thou art our Prince of peace, because Thou art our Redeemer, we shall
    render unto Thee all help possible, even in bearing the Cross up the heights of Calvary, for in life
    Thou hast been our friend; in death we know Thou shalt remember us, and now that Thou art
    sitting at the right hand of ? , the Father, now that Thou hast conquered death, the grave and
    hell, surely in Thy mercy Thou shalt remember us. So today even though hundreds of years have
    rolled by since Thy crucifixion, we know that there is in Thine heart, there is in Thy soul a warm
    spot for the Sons and Daughters of Africa whose forebears bore the cross for Thee up the heights
    of Calvary to thy crucifixion.
    We sing and shout with the angels; we ring our joy bells; we blow our horns in praise because
    Thou art indeed the Jesus, the Christ, the Emanuel to us, the Son of Righteousness, the Prince of
    Peace.
    As sons and daughters of Africa, may not four hundred millions of us the world over on this
    Christmas morn pray for the redemption of that Motherland which sheltered our Blessed
    Redeemer when the wild, wicked men of the world sought His life; in the same manner wild,
    wicked men seek the lives of Negroes today, and burn, lynch and ? them because they have not
    the strength that makes man mighty. But with the Almighty Power of ? and with the guidance
    and mercy of our Blessed Lord we feel that one day Ethiopia shall stretch forth her hand, and
    whether it be at the second coming or before, we shall all sing our Hosannas, shout our praises to
    ? for freedom, for liberty, for life.

And also :

As with the angels let us sing, "Hail the New Born King, the Prince of Peace, Hail to the Son of
    Righteousness, for with Thee there is life, without Thee there is death"
    . For as thou died upon
    Calvary's mount to make us better, to redeem us from our sins, may we not hope for a
    continuance of that love even for today? and knowing Thee in Thy bountiful love for all
    mankind, may we not further ask that Thy Spirit lighten up our hearts and bring to us by the
    touch of Thy grace, the knowledge of the Everlasting Brotherhood of Man, and the Eternal
    Fatherhood of ? ?

All this is from the philosophies and opinions of marcus garvey a book of his various speeches and writings

Ok, that sounds a little better. I was wrong Zombie.
  • bambu
    Options
    Ahhh ? . In my first post, point #1, I said "we let go of desire to accept life as it is". It might be more clear if you read it as "we let go of desire AND accept life as it is" or "IN ORDER TO accept life as it is"... sorry.. I can see how that could be misinterpreted.

Ol' "what I had meant to say was" head ass ? ......

• bambu
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    I embarrassed the mods......
    whaaat

Mod arms are too short to box with ? ................

• Ajackson17
    Options
  • Bodhi
    Options
  • bambu
    Options
    Troll ? ...........

• Ajackson17
    Options
    No one is trolling. @bambu
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Troll ? ...........

Stop crying.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Mod arms are too short to box with ? ................
    looks like time to start massacring threads