BREAKING NEWS. NCAA DUMPS EA SPORTS! CONTRACT ENDS

Options
StoneColdMikey
StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 35s
NCAA football dumps EA Sports. Here's hoping the NFL eventually does the same thing.

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sad day joe really sad...man i been playing this game when this ? was called bill waslh football on sega genesis

i don't see how this is good b/c the game is now discontinued no more NCAA...but this ain't gonna affect madden...the NCAA doing this to avoid paying players money

The NCAA says it will no longer allow Electronic Arts Inc. to use its logo and name in video games.

The NCAA announced Wednesday it will not enter into a new contract with EA Sports and NCAA Football 2014 will be the last edition of the popular game.

The move comes as the NCAA fights a lawsuit that demands the NCAA find a way to cut players in on the billions of dollars earned by from live broadcasts, memorabilia sales, video games and in other areas.

The NCAA says in a statement it is confident in its legal position regarding the use of trademarks in video games, but "we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA."
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is great news. Hopefully the NFL is next and 2K can land them and put Visual Concepts on bringing NFL 2K back. ? I'll take NCAA 2K until then.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope the NFL does the same.
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hopefully we get some real competitors to make a ncaa college football game that we all want instead of this same rehashed ? every year.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2k bout to monopilize the game...
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    yall don't get it outside of Iamontbdc ? not goin to 2k sports they just dumping the last remaining ncaa video game for lawsuit purposes this don't mean madden goin to 2k and ncaa will even exist as a game past this year...welp good thing i got this years version before this ? no longer exists lol

madden and ea not about to end their partnership cause both the NFL and EA making guap off the madden game. while i preferred the 2k sports games for the NFL that ? didn't sell like madden and have groupies like madden does. John madden is the stronger brand money wise even tho its an roster update.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pay the players
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ive always thought that players should get payed as long as the colleges are makin money off the players tickets, jerseys, and any other merchandise that has their name off it. not alot, just a little bit. I don think however that players should be getting anything over a few thousand. enough to pay rent, buy some clothes and other necessities. that would also be an incentive for the players to stick around for years instead of one and done'n it...
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    RichPorterOfTheIC Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NCAA 2k15 finna be goat
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    Pay the players

Pretty much....
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    NCAA 2k15 finna be goat

lol see my post above they not finna have a 2k football game next year otherwise they would have another lawsuit george zimmerman will be in jail before another NCAA game comes out

• Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah I don't think there will be another NCAA football game taking its place...they're trying to avoid being sued by players for using their likenesses without compensation.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Yeah I don't think there will be another NCAA football game taking its place...they're trying to avoid being sued by players for using their likenesses without compensation.

yeah and if they waited like 15 years and tried to sneak out another NCAA sports game a lawsuit would be re submitted within 5 minutes of the new game being released. Lawsuits are costly and the NCAA not trina take the video game money in risk of losing millions like they already have defending their stance.

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There will be more NCAA games, ea already announced on their website. They just can't use some bowl logos and the NCAA name. However they will still have access to all teams. Y'all to young to remember NCAA 97 and 98.

However this opens the door for 2k and may be the return of 2k NCAA basketball
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited July 2013
    Options
    There will be more NCAA games, ea already announced on their website. They just can't use some bowl logos and the NCAA name. However they will still have access to all teams. Y'all to young to remember NCAA 97 and 98.

but that doesn't mean that they are going to sign a contract with 2K because again to have the NCAA name without the authentic bowl names wouldn't make sense from NCAA's perspective.

And from 2k's perspective it won't be profitable to make a college football game without having the authenticity of NBA 2k. The only thing i think 2k sports would bring back at this point is an NFL game if the NFL joined with 2k sports exclusively.

2k and EA are playing almost like a turf war with each other. 2k knows it owns the title of best basketball game and EA despite bringing nba live from the dead can't compete there. likewise EA proved they were the top dawg in the NHL series and because of having NFL rights the more popular football game.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    AP12 wrote: »
    none of this would be an issue if they just released a generic af game and let the community edit and share everything..

but tbh, as i've gotten older, i've started appreciating the gameplay over aesthetics. Give me gameplay everyday of the week. Who cares if you got Drew Brees's virtual representation if he dont actually play like Drew Brees? The only thing seperating a player like Adrian Peterson from say Reggie Bush is a different player skin and some bs ratings that EA gives players.

EA has ALWAYS struggled with properly assigning ratings to players. They are always either too overpowered (Bo Jackson tecmo style) or under powered.

APF2k8 while it may have not had the graphics that the EA games did, it sure played more true to football vs the EA games did. Im just made i got on the train too late.

But gameplay >>> what kinda socks a dude wearing or having Alabama have the "A" on their gloves

but putting gameplay over presentation ins't something that equates into dollars and its excatly why 2k sports doesn't even have a knock off college game like EA will do next year. to the majority of comsumers yes gameplay is a big issue. But the aesthetics of seeing the espn brand and the nike shoes and the exact demensions and logos of stadiums is part of why people buy the game.

That's why like you said 2k stopped allowing a community to update and mod games like the did with football in i think 2k5 for years. at the end of the day video games popularity wise on a console have peaked out but the companies want to continue to increase profits or not loose as much $$ to low sales. So everything that might come out or keeps coming out needs to make $$$ its why there isn't even a ncaa basketball game anymore. It wasn't worth the payout of spending a year on making a game for consumers.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

but that doesn't mean that they are going to sign a contract with 2K because again to have the NCAA name without the authentic bowl names wouldn't make sense from NCAA's perspective.

And from 2k's perspective it won't be profitable to make a college football game without having the authenticity of NBA 2k. The only thing i think 2k sports would bring back at this point is an NFL game if the NFL joined with 2k sports exclusively.

2k and EA are playing almost like a turf war with each other. 2k knows it owns the title of best basketball game and EA despite bringing nba live from the dead can't compete there. likewise EA proved they were the top dawg in the NHL series and because of having NFL rights the more popular football game.

Do you know why EA when for exclusivity for the NCAA licenses? It was Because 2k College Basketball game, that game single handedly destroyed EA ncaa basketball franchise, so EA when for the jugular.

Again the series will be the same for football except a FEW bowl games and NCAA name. All the teams and stadiums and all the other ? will still be there. It will Be like NCAA 97 and 98. They had all the NCAA teams but not all the bowl games and some stadiums.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

Do you know why EA when for exclusivity for the NCAA licenses? It was Because 2k College Basketball game, that game single handedly destroyed EA ncaa basketball franchise, so EA when for the jugular.

Again the series will be the same for football except a FEW bowl games and NCAA name. All the teams and stadiums and all the other ? will still be there. It will Be like NCAA 97 and 98. They had all the NCAA teams but not all the bowl games and some stadiums.

did you read the post you just quoted i never was disagreeing that the NCAA EA game would be just like 97 or 98 i was just disagreeing that this opens the door for a 2k version of a college football game

• jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so basically we're gonna get the same game next year with the ncaa removed from it. smh. at this rate we'll never get that true gameplay and presentation at the same time any time soon.
    the best way to get the gameplay you're looking for is playing with the sliders over and over again. they're some good ones out there but you gotta do a bunch of trial and error with them.
    like for instance if i play on heisman, i ain't scoring ? . lol. i'd probably get blown out. but if i play on all-american i'll win most of my games by a blow out. where is that medium when i'ma get tested every game and be fair at the same time. and i'm not this football guru but i practice a lot to see different offensive packages and to see how players react on defense and where they're supposed to be. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
    all ea sees is dollar signs though. it'll always be like that until they get someone in there for that true hard core gamer. but lets be real ea is going strictly for that casual crowd because hard core gamers just want a football game and they're gonna play it regardless.
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    College Hoops was the GOAT Bball game. As Long as that comes back Its a must Cop. College Hoops 2k8 still going for likr 80 bucks smh
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    MrWise wrote: »
    College Hoops was the GOAT Bball game. As Long as that comes back Its a must Cop. College Hoops 2k8 still going for likr 80 bucks smh

college hoops doesn't look like its coming back anytime soon. Its costly to have a team work on both an NBA game an college games which is why no more college games remain outside of EA's college football.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »
    so basically we're gonna get the same game next year with the ncaa removed from it. smh. at this rate we'll never get that true gameplay and presentation at the same time any time soon.
    the best way to get the gameplay you're looking for is playing with the sliders over and over again. they're some good ones out there but you gotta do a bunch of trial and error with them.
    like for instance if i play on heisman, i ain't scoring ? . lol. i'd probably get blown out. but if i play on all-american i'll win most of my games by a blow out. where is that medium when i'ma get tested every game and be fair at the same time. and i'm not this football guru but i practice a lot to see different offensive packages and to see how players react on defense and where they're supposed to be. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
    all ea sees is dollar signs though. it'll always be like that until they get someone in there for that true hard core gamer. but lets be real ea is going strictly for that casual crowd because hard core gamers just want a football game and they're gonna play it regardless.

Yeah this true...difference between All American and Heisman is insane.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    lol nfl will never leave EA they make too much money ncaa football isnt poppin like it used to
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    RichPorterOfTheIC Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EA signs new college football deal
    m.gamespot.com/news/ea-signs-new-college-football-deal-6411751