The Wolverine (2013)

Options
Carthaginian
Carthaginian Members Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
Excited about this one. Huge fan of Wolvie during his claremont days....still a fan now, though not as big. Like Jackman's portayal of him....you guys checking this out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbzZP-_Ssc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UltOV2gNQNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ppweInV5PY

I'm checkin this opening night!

Comments

• reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Silver Samurai was my favorite arc. I wish I still had the comics for it. I'll check it though, looks better than the other one.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ye i'm checking for this
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    does lady deathstrike tie into this story?
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    http://blog.midtowncomics.com/review-wolverine/6572/

wolv1.jpg

The Wolverine heads into theaters on July 26th, and will mark Hugh Jackman’s 5th appearance on screen as the character (6th if you count his brief cameo in X-Men: First Class), and with the films script based loosely on the beloved Wolverine mini series by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller, fans are expecting the best Wolverine their ticket price can buy. But does this tale of ninja and samurai warriors deliver? For the sake of ease in weighing the good with the bad, it behooves us to make a list. (Spoilers ahead.)

wolv7.jpg

The Bad:

1. Imagine Wolverine Losing His Healing Factor.

There’s something in the water in Hollywood that forces screenwriters to think in terms of coming up with a premise and then negating it. Imagine a world where no more babies are born…now imagine a baby being born in it! Imagine a world vampires can only come out at night…now imagine vampires by day! Imagine a world where mutants are cursed to live with their powers…now imagine if they could lose these powers! THIS IS SO BORING. Oh, but you’ll love this one! Imagine a super-hero whose healing factor always keeps him alive…

2. Overcomplication.

wolv2.jpg

I think when Hollywood producers look at a superhero comic, part of what they see is a bunch of ridiculous overcomplication, and they strive to emulate what they take to be an essential part of the genre. The worst offender recently was in Superman, where the skullifact gets coded in Supes’ DNA, but Viper in this movie was up there. This was the pitch: “Her name’s Viper, right? so probably she’s a snake ninja, and a super-scientist, and she is immune to poison, but she’s poisonous herself, and she has a long tongue, and her skin comes off, etc.” Why was that character even in there, except that fourteen drafts ago, some screenwriter who’d read a comic mentioned that Viper hangs out with Silver Samurai. It didn’t help that Viper acts like she’s in a TV movie, and her outfit is ridiculous. Also, she appears to have no motivation for anything she does. Viper is not the only character in this movie to get the overcomplication treatment, but she’s the most egregious.

3. Yukio is No Longer Punk Rock, but Rather a Manic Pixie Girl.

wolv3.jpg

4. We Now Have to Stop Pretending X-Men 3 Didn’t Happen?

5. You know how exciting it is in a movie (or a comic book) when there are several sides, all after the same goal, and they all converge on it at once? Well, you’d think it would be great, because ninja and yakuza and Wolverine are all chasing Mariko, and yet somehow it’s really boring, because all they do is pass her from one group to the next. It’s a wasted opportunity, and it makes the film seem more episodic that it had to.

6. Wolverine’s Not Really the Best at What He Does.

wolv4.jpg

This is a problem in the comics at times, too, especially when someone’s writing Wolverine for the first time, but the temptation to have Wolverine get mauled constantly is such that he ends up not being a very good fighter. In the movie, when he’s fighting people with guns, he keeps getting shot, which sounds reasonable enough, except Yukio also has to fight people with guns. And then Wolverine fights people with swords, and they are constantly stabbing him. He’s just not very good at this.

7. The plot doesn’t make any sense. E.g. If your whole plan is to ? someone, why do you make such an effort to take her alive? Actually, listing all the things that made no sense would just be listing all the things in the movie.

8. Showing your hero survive a nuclear bomb in the first five minutes does not help increase tension for the rest of the movie.

The Good:

wolv5.jpg

1. People Fight.

That sounds ridiculous, but it’s actually kind of unusual nowadays, when fights are cobbled together in post with a bunch of blur effects and some second-unit shots of darkness. If your idea of a superhero movie is Batman lumbering around and trying vainly to swing his arms while encased in a rubber snowsuit, or a cartoon Iron Man punching a cartoon, this will be an eye opener. I’m not claiming this is the next Raid Redemption, but I don’t think even diehard fight fans will go away completely dissatisfied.

2. The Healing Factor Thing I Complained About Wasn’t as Bad as I Thought It Would Be.

The movie manages to make it seem more like a villain’s gambit then a central ontological crisis.

3. It felt like an adventure! You know, like a comic book

wolv6.jpg

I have to imagine that my superheroes have lots of adventures all the time, but this is precisely what Hollywood does not want me to imagine. Superhero movies are always the ONE BIG THING, even though superheroes were born and nurtured in a medium that only allows really big things to happen occasionally. Between the Phoenix Saga and the Brood we’re going to spend some time fighting Arcade, OK? Superman gets to Superman for thirty seconds before he’s committing Kryptonian genocide and blowing up Metropolis. Sure, The Wolverine builds to something that is important in Wolverine’s life, but it starts slow. It just feels right, to have an annoyed Wolverine flown to Japan to visit a dying friend; and once he’s there, he realizes he’s in over his head…blah blah blah, this is an old story, but it’s one that works, and it has me immediately. Wolverine has lots of adventures, see? Sometimes he goes someplace new, and it should be normal, but then there’s danger all around him, you know, like in an ADVENTURE STORY.

The fact that The Wolverine can be so dumb and yet work so well indicates to me that it’s not really that hard to make a good superhero film. It’s just that people are going about it in the wrong way. I’d so much rather watch a pulpy action/adventure yarn than a pretentious, self-important failure-to-grapple-with-the-issues-it-thinks-it’s-grappling-with Christopher Nolan film.

And did you really want to see a smart Wolverine film?

( Editors note: Yes, there is a scene after the credits.)

The Wolverine opens in theaters everywhere July 26th.

So basically Bryan Singer's ? ass has done it again. He's taken another classic X-Men story arch and bastardized it to the point where it's barely ? recognizable except for the characters and the protagonist doing obligatory things. This ? gobbler needs to get ? off the X-Men franchise as quickly as ? possible. The mutants don't need to be under the Marvel's supervision to get an accurate portrayal of the characters, just get somebody in there who gives a damn about the source material instead of some pillow bitin' muthafucka who's using our beloved franchise as a vehicle to who his own wackass ideas that otherwise wouldn't be greenlit, and to think this muthafucka gave us Usual Suspects.
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The last one was so trash that I'm really not even hyped for this movie in any way....I'll probably d/l it when it hits the net other than that though....meh
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wolverine 5: The Road Trip.
  • Carthaginian
    Carthaginian Members Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The thing I'm interested about in is the action
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FOX just sucks wolverine, blade 3 , spiderman 3, daredevil, elektra, fantastic 4, the last punisher

Marvel ? themselves dealing with FOX
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? with Wolverine but after that first movie I have no desire to see it.
    That movie was just so bad and they ? over my ? Gambit.
    He been one of my favorite characters since I was little so I know somebody will get the axe in this.
    If somebody told me it was great and that I need to go see it I probably wouldn't even care honestly.
    this is partially why I don't have high expectations for Days of Future Past. Fool me once shame on you, y'all know the rest.
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody remember the workprint?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    X Force is coming next Wolverine gonna be in that too
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

lol of course he is. Hugh Jackman has gotta love the fact that no matter what the x-men movies are about, he's in it.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

lol of course he is. Hugh Jackman has gotta love the fact that no matter what the x-men movies are about, he's in it.

First class

And no I don't count that 5 second bar scene as him being in it
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scarred by the last Wolverine. The problem I had with that one I can see happening in this one. Substance will be lacking. They are just riding your expectation high of seeing Wolverine on screen. And from what I heard, it doesn't even follow the comic story line. The only thing thats the same is the location.

This is my thing, I want a grown folks Wolverine. I know that won't happen but I would like to see that. This PG-13, let's reel in the kids ? is really annoying. For a Wolverine movie to be dope, they need it to be mature for Wolverine is a very mature character. The man is a raging alcoholic who is immortal with ? up thoughts, often selfish and violent as ? . You take that and turn it into a PG-13 flick? Pure cream puff.

Can't trust the fans because the fans be high off that expectation factor. Just like Avengers. I'm not going to lie, I was high off the expectation but truth be told that movie was pure ass too. Watching on Blu Ray reveals that. I was just enamored with the realization of seeing The Avengers finally on screen that I gave mad passes on it.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Heard it's good, not that everyone shouldn't know already but wait through the credits.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    stay after the credits
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gonna watch it tonight, expectations arent as high as previous blockbusters so far this year.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I might go see it tonight. I dont wanna go if im too tired though, i aint tryna fall asleep and waste my money.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Just came back from seeing this. They made up for the first one. A good movie, but you can wait for the rental. Be sure to watch the credits.

I hated Viper in this movie.

X-Men Days Of Future's Past is up next.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    Scarred by the last Wolverine. The problem I had with that one I can see happening in this one. Substance will be lacking. They are just riding your expectation high of seeing Wolverine on screen. And from what I heard, it doesn't even follow the comic story line. The only thing thats the same is the location.

This is my thing, I want a grown folks Wolverine. I know that won't happen but I would like to see that. This PG-13, let's reel in the kids ? is really annoying. For a Wolverine movie to be dope, they need it to be mature for Wolverine is a very mature character. The man is a raging alcoholic who is immortal with ? up thoughts, often selfish and violent as ? . You take that and turn it into a PG-13 flick? Pure cream puff.

Can't trust the fans because the fans be high off that expectation factor. Just like Avengers. I'm not going to lie, I was high off the expectation but truth be told that movie was pure ass too. Watching on Blu Ray reveals that. I was just enamored with the realization of seeing The Avengers finally on screen that I gave mad passes on it.

If you want a grown folks Wolverine, check out Wolverine: Max comics. There are 9 issues so far, and it doesn't follow any of the Wolverine stories of the past. You won't regret it.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good look on that intel bruh
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My girl wanna see it because she is a fan of superhero movies.
    I was just going to say ? it and watch it online one day but I hope this ? is worth it.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think if you already like these movies watching this one won't hurt. Since I don't this is an easy pass. I read the review from one of the regular comic book bloggers I follow on the net (he's also a comic book writer) and this was the most telling point of his review for those of you who are comic book fans and still hope this will be anything like Claremont's classic mini-series
    while the framework of Claremont and Miller’s miniseries is used, that’s about it in terms of story. In the miniseries, Wolverine is returning to Japan after Jean and Scott get married. In fact the story opens with him looking at their wedding picture. Obviously he’s hurt, but it seems more like Wolverine is traveling to a land where he is comfortable and fleeing something that made him feel uncomfortable.

He already knows the land and the ways of the samurai. In fact, if I’m remembering correctly, he already knows Mariko. You have to remember the context of this miniseries at the time. Wolverine was a man of mystery in the comics with nothing about his origin coming to light yet. To suggest that Logan had ties to Japan only added more intrigue to the character.

Telling this story out of order and making this Logan’s first time in meeting most of these characters lessens the depth this story could have gone. Sure, Logan had been on Nagasaki when the bomb dropped, saving a young soldier named Yashida, giving him some history with the land, but for the most part, Logan seems to be learning about the Japanese warrior culture through this film for the first time, whereas he was a respected warrior and samurai in his own right in the miniseries.

Making Logan a newb in this land definitely declaws the movie version of Wolvie quite a bit more (as if pining for his lost love Jean Grey every five minutes didn’t neuter the character to the point of no return already).

Go with that in mind and you'll probably enjoy it more than walking in with false hopes.