"I Fear I May Have Integrated My People Into a Burning House" - Martin Luther King Jr.

Options

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    MLK had divergent religious views but to call the man an atheist is gross slander and highly disrespectful on a deep fundamental level

What I mean is that he had views that would be considered atheistic especially in his day and age. Atheos is to go against the state religion and bringing in new ideas that are foreign. That's what truly what they were accusing men of being.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Integration never really happened in this country, at least not totally. Blacks and Whites can get a cup of coffee together and work side by side, but everything else is totally different. It's 2015 and we still have black schools, black neighborhoods, a huge income disparity, and a large unemployment rate. Black people are still viewed as criminals as a whole, and black criminals commit crimes because they don't have access to quality education, jobs, & neighborhoods.

Integration/civil rights was a stupid fight to take on. All of the rights we wanted we already had. The 13th, 14th, 15th amendments already gave us the rights that we wanted, they just weren't being enforced. All of these issues were supposed to have been settled immediately after the Civil War. It's almost like the South won.
  • rodneyskinner
    rodneyskinner Members Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Options
    It is true that we were slowing transferring money into our community. Institutionally we were forced to behave the way many other cultures do naturally. If you think though that we are better off without segregation you are missing the parts of segregation that didn't follow a dollar.

Like being able to be a supervisor at a job.
    Being able to live in whatever community you wanted.

So just the removal of the glass ceiling helped African Americans way more than the dollars we were getting off of being maids and then buying stuff from Mr. Monroe's corner store in South Park Memphis. Mr. Monroe was still poor.
  • rodneyskinner
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ? a glad handing turn the other cheek for whitey to slap me again ass martin luther king

That ? wasnt ? but a puppet with a white man hand up his ass, what other race of people in the whole damn world have been encouraged to get slapped and turn the other ? cheek?

He went out like a ? , fighting for integration into a poisonous and cutthroat system designed to destroy a black man and ? his culture, which in 2015 is exactly what we have.

Yo fam what do you think Isis is. They are doing a Caliphate to keep the controlling influences of Western and Russian governments out of their countries. PLO. ETC. ETC. This isn't uncommon in history. The problem with pre aggression is it muddies the water of the cause.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is true that we were slowing transferring money into our community. Institutionally we were forced to behave the way many other cultures do naturally. If you think though that we are better off without segregation you are missing the parts of segregation that didn't follow a dollar.

So just the removal of the glass ceiling helped African Americans way more than the dollars we were getting off of being maids and then buying stuff from Mr. Monroe's corner store in South Park Memphis. Mr. Monroe was still poor.

The most important thing is the dollar all blacks got from integration was increased social acceptance. Which is useless.
  • rodneyskinner
    Options

The most important thing is the dollar all blacks got from integration was increased social acceptance. Which is useless.

Not true. You couldn't be foremans etc. They could openly write in the handbook that black people can only work cleaning floors and manual labor. They weren't allowed to be shift leaders in the plant. All of those jobs went to white people. Those middle class jobs gave opportunities for apprenticeship programs. My father was even in an apprenticeship program that's how he became a robotics engineer and the white people were mad served him racoon meat on black history month luncheon. I know about it cause I saw Memphis go from jewel of the south with all the plants to nothing. After they had to pay Black workers equal pay and give them opportunities they moved all of the manufacturing to the suburbs. If it wasn't for my dad having seniority he would have been stuck working in a battery factory. Instead he became a Robotics engineer and was one of a handful people that worked on honeywell Robots. Money isn't the most important thing. Opportunity is the most important thing. If I gave you 100k and you couldn't work for the next 5 years you would be stupid to take that money. With opportunity you get the chance to work hard and move up in the world. Difference between being a victim and being empowered.
  • rodneyskinner
    Options
    Ya'll gotta stop and read up for real. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_middle_class#History_of_black_middle_class_in_the_United_States

Without the civil rights movement directly influenced by the ACTS of Martin Luther King, Not Malcolm X or NOI you see the middle class would have been no where. We need to get back not black pride but appreciation of the opportunities we have available. Its 5.5 million jobs open in America we need to be working with our communities on how to get access to the 5.5 million jobs. I got 2 paying near 90 and the other paying over 90. THAT'S CHUUUUCH. I just got another job offer in my email for remote work from home work that pays about the same amount.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not true. You couldn't be foremans etc. They could openly write in the handbook that black people can only work cleaning floors and manual labor. They weren't allowed to be shift leaders in the plant. All of those jobs went to white people. Those middle class jobs gave opportunities for apprenticeship programs. My father was even in an apprenticeship program that's how he became a robotics engineer and the white people were mad served him racoon meat on black history month luncheon. I know about it cause I saw Memphis go from jewel of the south with all the plants to nothing. After they had to pay Black workers equal pay and give them opportunities they moved all of the manufacturing to the suburbs. If it wasn't for my dad having seniority he would have been stuck working in a battery factory. Instead he became a Robotics engineer and was one of a handful people that worked on honeywell Robots. Money isn't the most important thing. Opportunity is the most important thing. If I gave you 100k and you couldn't work for the next 5 years you would be stupid to take that money. With opportunity you get the chance to work hard and move up in the world. Difference between being a victim and being empowered.

On an individual level you may be correct but on a larger scale opportunities to make white people rich do not empower black people. Which is what integration gave blacks. African-Americans have 1 trillion dollars of spending power we are still poor.

We should not be wanting to move up in the white world we should be making our own

Now should we have continued with the Jim crow system ??? No but what we currently have now does nothing to empower black people.
  • rodneyskinner
    Options

On an individual level you may be correct but on a larger scale opportunities to make white people rich do not empower black people. Which is what integration gave blacks. African-Americans have 1 trillion dollars of spending power we are still poor.

We should not be wanting to move up in the white world we should be making our own

Now should we have continued with the Jim crow system ??? No but what we currently have now does nothing to empower black people.

We absolutely have a system that empowers anyone who can read and have willingness to try to get a sustainable lively hood. You can be anything if you work hard. The poorer you are the easier it is to get grants to help you. Our community needs to change the thought process of what is empowerment.

Java certifications, Database Certifications all of the software is free and can generally run on a cheap computer. Could you imagine if black inventors had access to that what they would have created.

The precedence for this is George Washington Carver. Pooling together poor resources regardless of color and turning around figuring out ways to take that talent into profitability. LIke he did for share croppers. If you truly want to help the black poor then you need to cast a net and help all the poor. My family being from Mississippi ended up with their own land handed because my grandmas dad applied those techniques.

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    KingJamal wrote: »
    Integration was a terrible idea smh

We shoulda went with Black Nationalism and became self sufficient and support ourselves

? ain't ready for that. Too much sacrifice, hard work, and bloodshed. Easier to chill and watch ESPN.

When they finally try to round us up into camps and mass graves, ? style, then maybe we'll learn.

man i said this 2 years ago. Fast forward; race relations are at a new nadir and America is on the brink of electing ? for real.

We may not have much time left.

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    America is on the brink of electing ? for real.
    i think there are some additional post-WWI-Germany issues we're not dealing with, though

• blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »
    Integration was a terrible idea smh

We shoulda went with Black Nationalism and became self sufficient and support ourselves

? ain't ready for that. Too much sacrifice, hard work, and bloodshed. Easier to chill and watch ESPN.

When they finally try to round us up into camps and mass graves, ? style, then maybe we'll learn.

man i said this 2 years ago. Fast forward; race relations are at a new nadir and America is on the brink of electing ? for real.

We may not have much time left.

SMH....but don't u support gun control tho???

• NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marrell mccullough
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Economically (income and most importantly wealth gaps) - playing catch up in the race, and we Flo-Joe running against Usain Bolt. The median black wealth is pathetic
  • CEOFABRIC
    CEOFABRIC Members Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Options
    Integration was harmful to our communities. Had we not integrated you would see a Black Wall-Street in every Black city. We basically integrated our monies and still get the shaft.
  • esoderic
    esoderic Members Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options
    All these people talking noise about MLKJR have taken a white-washed - no pun intended - version of history for their truth. Rather than actually listening, reading and learning about what MLKJR actually said or stood for, they'll take someone else's word for it. "Cooning?" Really? Most white people hated MLKJR during his lifetime. Hoover called him the "most dangerous ? in America." It wasn't Malcolm it wasn't Elijah Muhammad - it was MLKJR. If he was so safe, why did COINTELPRO go to great lengths to discredit him? A "? " would placate the black community and tell them to wait for rights. MLKJR demanded rights immediately - but in a non-violent way. He understood that violence would be met with violence and the stronger party always wins. A few black radicals would be no match for the US Govt and the states. What happened to all of the groups that advocated for violent overthrow? The government destroyed them and whatever small strides they had made. Further, ya'll are operating from a 21st century view point of MLKJR's accomplishments. What he was up against was segregation - the law of the land. There was no Civil Rights Act or any protections under the law. Before you speak and degrade the man who literally sacrificed his life, you need to do your homework. Lastly, MLKJR, wasn't talking from the safety of Harlem to black people about white people. He was talking from the lion's den in the deep south about America and what was wrong with it. Final thought - MLKJR spoke what he felt was right. He was one of the first people to speak out against the Vietnam War which made him largely unpopular even among black people. By the time he died, he was not well liked, because of his stance on the war. History has proven that Vietnam was a huge mistake and human rights violation, and MLKJR being a man more concerned with being right than being popular spoke out.
  • esoderic
    esoderic Members Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options
    CEOFABRIC wrote: »
    Integration was harmful to our communities. Had we not integrated you would see a Black Wall-Street in every Black city. We basically integrated our monies and still get the shaft.

Integration did not prevent Black Wall Streets - racism did. Historically, Black business centers have been destroyed by violence, unfair lending practices and government land seizures through eminent domain. Further, the in the speech before MLKJR died, he called for black people to not spend money where they couldn't be hired. He called for boycotts of Coke, Wonderbread and some other large corporations at that time. He told blacks to patronize black businesses.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    esoderic wrote: »
    All these people talking noise about MLKJR have taken a white-washed - no pun intended - version of history for their truth. Rather than actually listening, reading and learning about what MLKJR actually said or stood for, they'll take someone else's word for it. "Cooning?" Really? Most white people hated MLKJR during his lifetime. Hoover called him the "most dangerous ? in America." It wasn't Malcolm it wasn't Elijah Muhammad - it was MLKJR. If he was so safe, why did COINTELPRO go to great lengths to discredit him? A "? " would placate the black community and tell them to wait for rights. MLKJR demanded rights immediately - but in a non-violent way. He understood that violence would be met with violence and the stronger party always wins. A few black radicals would be no match for the US Govt and the states. What happened to all of the groups that advocated for violent overthrow? The government destroyed them and whatever small strides they had made. Further, ya'll are operating from a 21st century view point of MLKJR's accomplishments. What he was up against was segregation - the law of the land. There was no Civil Rights Act or any protections under the law. Before you speak and degrade the man who literally sacrificed his life, you need to do your homework. Lastly, MLKJR, wasn't talking from the safety of Harlem to black people about white people. He was talking from the lion's den in the deep south about America and what was wrong with it. Final thought - MLKJR spoke what he felt was right. He was one of the first people to speak out against the Vietnam War which made him largely unpopular even among black people. By the time he died, he was not well liked, because of his stance on the war. History has proven that Vietnam was a huge mistake and human rights violation, and MLKJR being a man more concerned with being right than being popular spoke out.

I don't get this either, they did not do any research on what the man actually said and actually did and how he actually operated. Funny fact, that MLK Jr. actually carried a gun more so than Malcolm X did and had more guns than Malcolm.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    The end may be near, but a new beginning is already here...
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we been in a burning house since they brought our ancestors here over 400 years ago you idiots.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    we been in a burning house since they brought our ancestors here over 400 years ago you idiots.

Slow your roll homie, we all know this.

The point is MLK said it about the movement he was fighting so hard for. He was a leader and in many ways still is, and he admitted that integrating in this system was the wrong move.