Special Edition: Best hip-hop businessman who happens to "rap": P. Diddy, Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, 50, MP

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited July 2013 in The Reason
I'mma go with who has the most money right now between the 5... um ....

Special Edition: Best hip-hop businessman who happens to "rap": P. Diddy, Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, 50, MP 50 votes

P. Diddy
16%
mindrightDOPEdweebzlamontbdcCaintexasdaking88FyHunnitUndergroundraplegendKellmill 8 votes
Jay-Z
48%
mrrealone5th Letterragemrclassickinfamous114soul rattlerRichPorterOfTheICjoeyfkncrakkDarthRozayqtipp73CJGlockLesnar StoneColdMikey_Menace_TheRicanKingnj208932DaysOfInfinitiItsallrightSolitary Soldiercannonspike1994 24 votes
Dr. Dre
18%
georgia boiStewPILL_COSBYL.O.S.T.WeazeltrilladelicJFK5 GrandMr. Rich Pryor 9 votes
50 Cent
10%
veikurinillerthekidnohiphop1riddleraptwatgetta 5 votes
Master P
8%
NothingButTheTruthT. SanfordabgoTkjrain12 4 votes

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Dr. Dre
    Well you used the word "best businessman" not "favorite businessman". The best is the one with the most money. My favorite would be Dr Dre because he produced classic albums like Strait Outta Compton, Niggaz4life and ? . But that doesn't make him the best. The best has the most $$$.
  • DOPEdweebz
    edited July 2013
    Options
    P. Diddy
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Well you used the word "best businessman" not "favorite businessman". The best is the one with the most money. My favorite would be Dr Dre because he produced classic albums like Strait Outta Compton, Niggaz4life and ? . But that doesn't make him the best. The best has the most $$$.

From what i'm reading Diddy got jay Z by 25 mil networth right now. But I wonder how this changes from month to month, and year by year.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z

what does dre producing those albums have to do with his business skills?
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    P. Diddy
    The Richest Rappers In The World 2013:

1. Diddy – Net Worth: $580 million (up $80 million)
    2. Jay-Z – Net Worth: $500 million (up $25 million)
    3. Dr. Dre – Net Worth: $360 million (up $100 million)
    4. Master P – Net Worth: $350 million (no change)
    5. 50 Cent – Net Worth: $260 million (up $10 million)
    6. Birdman – Net Worth: $150 million (up $35 million)
    7. Eminem – Net Worth: $140 million (up $20 million)
    8. Snoop Dogg – Net Worth: $130 million (up $10 million)
    9. Ice Cube – Net Worth: $120 million (up $20 million)
    10. Lil Wayne – Net Worth: $110 million (up $15 million)
    11. Kanye West – Net Worth: $100 million (up $10 million)
    12. LL Cool J – Net Worth: $85 million (up $5 million)
    13. Timbaland – Net Worth: $80 million (up $5 million)
    14. Pharrell Williams – Net Worth: $80 million (up $2.5 million)
    15. Akon – Net Worth: $80 million (up $2.5 million)
    16. Beastie Boys - $75 million each (no change)
    17. Ludacris – Net Worth: $75 million (up $5 million)
    18. Busta Rhymes – Net Worth: $65 million (up $5 million)
    19. Nelly – Net Worth: $60 million (no change)
    20. T.I. – Net Worth: $40 million (up $10 million)
    21. Big Boi – Net Worth: $40 million (no change)
    22. T-Pain – Net Worth: $35 million (up $5 million)
    23. Ice-T – Net Worth: $35 million (up $5 million)
    24. Drake – Net Worth: $30 million (up $5 million)
    25. Rick Ross – Net Worth: $28 million (up $3 million)
    26. Nicki Minaj – Net Worth $25 million (up $5 million)

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/the-richest-rappers-2013/
  • DOPEdweebz
    edited July 2013
    Options
    P. Diddy
    I'mma say this... if Dr. dre comes out with better or equally exciting product as his headphones, he might single handley take over this ? and make me change my vote.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr. Dre

Nothing, that's why he's my favorite. But the best is whoever has the most money and I don't have their bank statements so I can just go by who I like the most. I like Dre's music the most out of all the people listed but he may or may not have the most money, which would make him the best businessman.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z
    No matter what the category as long as he's in that company, Jay wins this thread hands down
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Dr. Dre

Eeeh?, the music business is a business
    And since Dre is a producer, and a brand, it makes perfectly sense (and cents)
    His skill behind the board, combined with his ear for talent/sounds et etc, made him the businessman he is today

• nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    since jay z is married, does his net worth include Bay On Say's?
  • DOPEdweebz
    edited July 2013
    Options
    P. Diddy
    nyst8ofmin wrote: »
    since jay z is married, does his net worth include Bay On Say's?

No thats just jayz, together they are worth over a billion about.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Dr. Dre
    Dre made the best business decision in Hip Hop history by leaving DeathRow and starting Aftermath.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 Cent
    Master P is actually sitting on goldmine compared to the rest of them ? ...all his movies are funny and still making money, he made sure his son AND his daughter got into TV so they are set for life, which is also his money too. I still got some of that P MIller gear it was decent. All JayZ got is his clubs, because B ain't splitting her money with that ? unless she stupid, she make more than him. 50Cent might be heading to Mogul status soon if he sign a dope rapper or two, his water and earphones are making money and his movies are good.

Having said all that ? , yall ? dickriding JayZ way too much. He ain't dominating this category by a long shot. Diddy got more money than him. He still eatin off Biggie's old records. Sean Jean clothing is player and his restaurants are making money.
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    RichPorterOfTheIC Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z
    Put me anywhere on gods green earth I'll triple my worth
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z
    Dre loses this poll because he walked away from Deathrow Records without demanding a dime. From a business aspect, it was a terrible choice.

Master P loses this poll because although he had great ideas, his execution was mediocre and you can almost tell that he wasn't thinking about lasting investments.

50 and Diddy are opportunists who were fortunate to land the connections that they did (Dre/Em, Biggie, etc) but that doesn't take away from the extraordinarily hard work that they put in. It would be a tie for first place if it wasn't for Jay-Z.

Say what you want about Jay "betraying friends", being a snake, etc. The reality is that with minimal connections, he built his own brand and almost every move he makes is with finesse. He's like Master P and Diddy combined, on top of being his own most profitable artist.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr. Dre
    From the list, I'd say Dr. Dre if this is just limited to the music business. He was one of the founders of Death Row and pretty much brought in a lot of that roster. Then he left and started Aftermath. Then there's the Beats By Dre headphones which has had very lucrative deals with Chrysler, HP, and HTC. Major artists have their own signature Beats. They are also featured in a lot of music videos.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr. Dre
    I would've voted for Master P, but he doesn't have the longevity. He had one of the best business models in Hip Hop at one point. Regardless of what people thought of the music. No Limit was set up so that the music basically marketed itself. He also kept most of it in-house. Not to mention that most of the artists were New Orleans based.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    The Richest Rappers In The World 2013:

1. Diddy – Net Worth: $580 million (up $80 million)
    2. Jay-Z – Net Worth: $500 million (up $25 million)
    3. Dr. Dre – Net Worth: $360 million (up $100 million)
    4. Master P – Net Worth: $350 million (no change)
    5. 50 Cent – Net Worth: $260 million (up $10 million)
    6. Birdman – Net Worth: $150 million (up $35 million)
    7. Eminem – Net Worth: $140 million (up $20 million)
    8. Snoop Dogg – Net Worth: $130 million (up $10 million)
    9. Ice Cube – Net Worth: $120 million (up $20 million)
    10. Lil Wayne – Net Worth: $110 million (up $15 million)
    11. Kanye West – Net Worth: $100 million (up $10 million)
    12. LL Cool J – Net Worth: $85 million (up $5 million)
    13. Timbaland – Net Worth: $80 million (up $5 million)
    14. Pharrell Williams – Net Worth: $80 million (up $2.5 million)
    15. Akon – Net Worth: $80 million (up $2.5 million)
    16. Beastie Boys - $75 million each (no change)
    17. Ludacris – Net Worth: $75 million (up $5 million)
    18. Busta Rhymes – Net Worth: $65 million (up $5 million)
    19. Nelly – Net Worth: $60 million (no change)
    20. T.I. – Net Worth: $40 million (up $10 million)
    21. Big Boi – Net Worth: $40 million (no change)
    22. T-Pain – Net Worth: $35 million (up $5 million)
    23. Ice-T – Net Worth: $35 million (up $5 million)
    24. Drake – Net Worth: $30 million (up $5 million)
    25. Rick Ross – Net Worth: $28 million (up $3 million)
    26. Nicki Minaj – Net Worth $25 million (up $5 million)

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/the-richest-rappers-2013/

Still not convinced by those numbers. They never seem to change much and the same people are usually in the top5/top10. Diddy is worth 580 mil? From what exactly? French Montana sales, Ciroc, and an outdated Justins? Red Cafes unreleased material? Biggie publishing?
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z
    I really dont consider Diddy the best business man he just financially rapes his artists and lives off Biggies legacy.

Jay made 20 just for signing with Samsung.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Jay-Z
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    I really dont consider Diddy the best business man he just financially rapes his artists and lives off Biggies legacy.

Jay made 20 just for signing with Samsung.

Word even though he has Ciroc...I doubt living off Big's legacy helps him in regard to that.
  • mindright
    mindright Members Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P. Diddy
    gotta be diddy, he's got his hand in everything

liquor
    water
    clothes
    music
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »
    Master P is actually sitting on goldmine compared to the rest of them ? ...all his movies are funny and still making money, he made sure his son AND his daughter got into TV so they are set for life, which is also his money too. I still got some of that P MIller gear it was decent.

bruh...

• tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P still got Baby by $200 milli

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 Cent
    this is a thread about perception of who is the best. no mokeys know whats really up, nor what really talking about.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z
    lol how is 50 cent the best businessman? He got lucky with Vitamin Water and that's about it.
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 has been in hollywood movies and in straight to gas station movies he produces books the whole gunit prolly still eats off game until a few months ago video games he had the sneakers clothes and a tv show

He is one of the most sought after rappers overseas..

And nowaydays he has sms audio for his headphones and sms boxing plus he own street king energy shot.

Shiiit if he was running g unit properly these last few years he would probably be higher on the list.

Plus fifty and jay the only ones at the 200 milly mark that keep it somewhat it street and hiphop still imo.