Black Atheists Question?

Options
ohhhla
ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you get offended when other blacks tell you that you act white when you tell them you're not a believer?

Thoughts or comments?

Me personally, I just laugh.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope. I don't really care
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never heard that one to be honest.

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been told that I'm white for various reasons but white folks would be a bit confused by those accusations. I just don't fit a mold, but I've never been called white for that. I try not to mention my lack of concern for their choice in life unless someone goes too hard on me with their religion. I think most people know because of the way i dismiss their rants with indifference..
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only heard it from zombie that you are acting white, but there are 12% of blacks who are reported atheist from the last census and more growing. Anyway, I'm more agnostic spirtual. The way I think of the universe and outside what we deem to be magical and supernatural really isn't, we just don't know the functions and haven't come across the capabilities yet. We thought lightening, fire, weather, and other forms of natural events were in fact supernatural, but as science progressed we learned how they operate and how they work. Hell we even know what in fact creates mass and gives a broader understanding of gravity and understand the universe and planets with two suns and such. In a thousand years they will know so much how our world and universe operates and we'll be probably on other planets living and in 10,000 years probably being able to create suns and planets. We'll might be able to teleport to other planets in seconds and go to work in many galaxies while living on a different planet, culture will become much more complicated and complex or maybe simpler but more harmonious with nature of other worlds.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On the list of reasons why i would disown my children or family members atheism does not appear. However their stature would be lowered in my eyes.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Atheist swine !!!!

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only time I've heard that is on the IC.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »

My parents and many of my family member told me this.
  • zombie
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »

Thank ? i am not related to you
    You cannot convince an atheist he's human swine if you disown him but i would have disowned you for other reasons.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    The craziest thing is that you can pretend you believe all day and still not give a ? about it lol. I really don't give a ? about religion and none of that ? , I do think the universe is conscious and all, but I can't give a ? .
  • ohhhla
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

You cannot convince an atheist he's human swine if you disown him but i would have disowned you for other reasons.

Really, zombie?

I don't understand why it's so bad to be an non-believer.

WE ARE STILL HUMAN.
  • zombie
    Options

Really, zombie?

I don't understand why it's so bad to be an non-believer.

WE ARE STILL HUMAN.

I know you are still human that is why i said i would not disown you. atheist really cannot be trusted your moral systems are too subjective. Religion bonds a family in community without it you've made yourself kind of an outsider. THINK ABOUT it when grandma dies will my atheist family member come to the church and pray with the rest of us? no and even if he comes we all know he won't believe anything that's said that day. so he's not really going to share that spiritual moment with us.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    He can still weep for her passing and comfort the family. I don't know what praying has to do with anything.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    May the Voodoo deities be with us tonight..
  • zombie
    Options
    He can still weep for her passing and comfort the family. I don't know what praying has to do with anything.

It has everything to do with it, when people who believe the same thing pray together there is a unity that exist there it is a special experience especially at very emotional times. I cannot have that feeling with someone i know is an atheist.

atheist and theist don't experience death in the same way for an atheist death is the end.

• Bodhi
    edited August 2013
    Options
    atheist really cannot be trusted your moral systems are too subjective.

Morality is subjective, period. You must have forgotten about this:

kkk_jesus_saves.gif

NaziPriestsSaluteHitler.jpg

From what I can tell, religious people cannot be trusted. I would rather deal with someone who I can at least make judgements based on what can be inferred from observation of words and actions than someone who believes they should do whatever a deity tells them to do.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    for an atheist death is the end.

You can be atheist and believe in an afterlife so what you're saying here is false. As always, you misunderstand something and attack it based off of what you can't comprehend.
  • Bodhi
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Religion bonds a family in community without it you've made yourself kind of an outsider. THINK ABOUT it when grandma dies will my atheist family member come to the church and pray with the rest of us? no and even if he comes we all know he won't believe anything that's said that day. so he's not really going to share that spiritual moment with us.

Religion only strengthens the bond between like-minded people. It's "preaching to the choir", pun intended. In the grand scheme of things, religion separates mankind and only adds to the list of ways someone can discriminate against their fellow man.

An atheist doesn't have to pray with you about grandma's passing to share a memory of any good time both of you may have experienced with her while she was living or to, generally speaking, grieve over her death. Just because an atheist doesn't pray to your ? doesn't make them devoid of any feeling, especially pain associated with loss of a loved one.

The atheist is only the "outsider" in your imaginative scenario because he is the minority. Imagine now that you, in your beliefs, are the minority in a community of atheists. Grandma dies, and you are the only person trying to pray about it. And for what?
  • Bodhi
    Options
    It has everything to do with it, when people who believe the same thing pray together there is a unity that exist there

But does it accomplish anything? My answer is no and even if you answer yes, you cannot honestly tell me the results are 100% effective.

And if you don't pray to accomplish something, necessarily, I'd have to ask you what then is the purpose of prayer? If it's to experience "unity", then prayer is not necessary because unity can be experienced a great number of ways other than prayer.. like team sports or family reunions for example. A group of people don't even have to pray to your ? to experience the same Unity they would if they did.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just when I thought I'd heard enough, they come with some more off the wall ? .

Best offense is a good defense must be.

So since this ? thinks being atheist is acting white, I wanna know what religion ? told him is acting black?
  • Bodhi
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »

So since this ? thinks being atheist is acting white, I wanna know what religion ? told him is acting black?

Protestantism
  • Ajackson17
    Options

It has everything to do with it, when people who believe the same thing pray together there is a unity that exist there it is a special experience especially at very emotional times. I cannot have that feeling with someone i know is an atheist.

atheist and theist don't experience death in the same way for an atheist death is the end.

So pretty much your not including them cause they don't share the same beliefs as you and you believe them to be immoral and unethical. That's discriminatory towards them and their feelings. The lack of belief towards a deity means we are not human and we failed at the human experience, that's a horrible look at it. What if they believe in hinduism or Islam or wiccan? They believe in other deities as well or what about a goddess?

• zombie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    @OCEANIC YOU ARE a buddhist i don't consider you are real atheist because you still believe in the mystical.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Atheism only deals with unbelief in ? ; nothin else. An atheist can believe in reincarnation, spirits, or whatever. Unbelief in ? makes you an atheist... nothing else.
  • zombie
    Options
    Religion bonds a family in community without it you've made yourself kind of an outsider. THINK ABOUT it when grandma dies will my atheist family member come to the church and pray with the rest of us? no and even if he comes we all know he won't believe anything that's said that day. so he's not really going to share that spiritual moment with us.

Religion only strengthens the bond between like-minded people. It's "preaching to the choir", pun intended. In the grand scheme of things, religion separates mankind and only adds to the list of ways someone can discriminate against their fellow man.

An atheist doesn't have to pray with you about grandma's passing to share a memory of any good time both of you may have experienced with her while she was living or to, generally speaking, grieve over her death. Just because an atheist doesn't pray to your ? doesn't make them devoid of any feeling, especially pain associated with loss of a loved one.

The atheist is only the "outsider" in your imaginative scenario because he is the minority. Imagine now that you, in your beliefs, are the minority in a community of atheists. Grandma dies, and you are the only person trying to pray about it. And for what?

I am not interested with the rest of mankind at my grandma's funeral, an atheist can share my pain but not in the same way a believer can. If my whole family is in the church praying and crying but taking solace in the belief that we are going to see our grandma in heaven. What are you going to be doing ? you can't really console us because you don't believe. If i am the only believer in a family of atheist i won't be the outsider to them because they don;t believe there is anything to be outside of. Atheism is not a shared thing but prayer can be in other words my prayers will be no loss for them because prayer is not a bonding experience for them.