Michael Jordan went 6 for 6 in the finals...............ok!

Options

Comments

• ATTS
    ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it fair to compare players from different eras?
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ATTS wrote: »
    Is it fair to compare players from different eras?

No. just my opinion tho.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    T/S has no bias at all.

Jordan is my favorite player ever, but i'm honest enough to say Nike, globalization, cable television,etc (all the ? people like Kareem, Russell, Wilt never had) is why Jordan is viewed the way he is viewed. Kareem ? on him on pure stats and has the same titles, Russell ? on him on being a winner, Big O ? on him on being a all around player,etc.

• Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Because basketball fans of the 80's and 90's weren't crowning high school players "King" or comparing them to GOATS before they were drafted. Jordan wasn't chastised be caused shouldn't have been and Kobe/Lebron shouldn't have been either. It's just a sign of the times.

He was though.Jordan was gettin scrutinized(not to the extent that lebron was)before he won his 1st title for losing

Bird,Zeke and Magic had stacked squads in their primes.Mike didn't early in his career and couldn't beat boston and detroit until the bulls as a team got better from the coaching to his teammates

You say this like you were reading the papers then lmao...

Ain't you like 28 b.

You were 5 years old in 1990.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    T/S has no bias at all.

Jordan is my favorite player ever, but i'm honest enough to say Nike, globalization, cable television,etc (all the ? people like Kareem, Russell, Wilt never had) is why Jordan is viewed the way he is viewed. Kareem ? on him on pure stats and has the same titles, Russell ? on him on being a winner, Big O ? on him on being a all around player,etc.

I say this is true for the average person who doesn't know much about basketball but still calls MJ the greatest. It's not true for people who actually watched him play and dominate.

As far as stats, titles, and versatility on the court. That ? is kinda secondary. What determines whether a player is the greatest or not IMO is how good of a chance that player gives you to win. Kareem has better stock numbers and those come from how long he played. However, Jordan's averages show he was a much better pure scorer than Kareem. Russell won more, but he was consistently on great teams. Jordan was a beast when his team was garbage, and when he got a little help he won and never stopped winning. Even then, his teammates weren't as good relative to the competition as Russell's were. And the Big O all around stats were better, but I wouldn't say he was an all around better player. MJ did what was necessary to win and he could pretty much do whatever he wanted. The team primarily needed him to be a scorer so that was his focus. But I'd ask you tell me one area of the game of basketball that MJ didn't demonstrate he could do at a high level if needed.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Then why doesn't he get chastised for not making it or failing prior to those 6 finals. Is it better to win 6 for 6 after failing your first 6 years, or is it better to fail as a result of taking a untalented team to the finals (Sixers with AI or Cavs with Lebron).

This whole perfect in the finals ? is pure nonsense, isn't losing in any round in the playoffs or not making it to the playoffs just as bad as losing in the finals.

? ...
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jordan was a beast when his team was garbage, and when he got a little help he won and never stopped winning. Even then, his teammates weren't as good relative to the competition as Russell's were. And the Big O all around stats were better, but I wouldn't say he was an all around better player. MJ did what was necessary to win and he could pretty much do whatever he wanted. The team primarily needed him to be a scorer so that was his focus. But I'd ask you tell me one area of the game of basketball that MJ didn't demonstrate he could do at a high level if needed.

good job
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    Because basketball fans of the 80's and 90's weren't crowning high school players "King" or comparing them to GOATS before they were drafted. Jordan wasn't chastised be caused shouldn't have been and Kobe/Lebron shouldn't have been either. It's just a sign of the times.

He was though.Jordan was gettin scrutinized(not to the extent that lebron was)before he won his 1st title for losing

Bird,Zeke and Magic had stacked squads in their primes.Mike didn't early in his career and couldn't beat boston and detroit until the bulls as a team got better from the coaching to his teammates

Ain't you like 28 b.

It was documented in the Jordan rules and other books about Mikes career and I've been told this by older folks.You act like information can't be shared to other generations

Next time don't try so hard you conk head rocky from the mask lookin ?
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    thing with Michael is he knew/knows he was better than those before him, this generation now dont even think about being better than Mike they to busy wanting to be the next Mike instead of being better
  • ATTS
    ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kobe 5-2
    I am still heated at pistons winning that ship in 2004.....if lakeers were together. ..they should have taken that series
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ATTS wrote: »
    Kobe 5-2
    I am still heated at pistons winning that ship in 2004.....if lakeers were together. ..they should have taken that series

Malone was also injured
  • Maalik
    Options

Ain't you like 28 b.

It was documented in the Jordan rules and other books about Mikes career and I've been told this by older folks.You act like information can't be shared to other generations

Next time don't try so hard you conk head rocky from the mask lookin ?

Don't get aggravated Tommy. I just asked you a question.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Winning the championship every time you went(I mean several finals appearances) is remarkable regardless.Russell,Bird,Magic,Kareem,Wilt,Kobe,Lebron,Shaq,Duncan,Zeke,West and several other great players and legends can't say they never lost a finals.7-8 hall of famers were denied the chance to win another ring or A ring in that span.That's dominance no matter how you see it
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I was born in 85 so I'm definitely an MJ fan. But Jordan's day is coming, and what I mean when I say that is he will be recognized as an all time great but the generation of fans coming up now will look at him like people in they mid to late 20's look at players like Bill Russell, Jerry West and etc. His greatness will live on in highlights but nobody will be comparing him to whoever are the current top players and looking for the next MJ.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »
    _DUB_ wrote: »
    mj 6/6
    duncan 4/5
    lbj 2/4
    russell 10/10

fixed and added for real ball knowledge

Kareem 6/10
    Kobe 5/7
    Russell 11/12

Fixed and added for real bball knowwledge
  • Crimson11
    Crimson11 Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
    Like its ? seriously saying KOBE aint got ? on MJ even though he only has 1 less ring. (Even though he will likely finish with more points in his career than Mike)

I don't think its like that, I think that because people and your very comment aims to act like kobe got 3 rings without the most dominant center ever IMO, and 2 with two other all-star 7 footers people think that kobe doesn't hold a candle to MJ, and it's also the fact that even though he may pass MJ in points Kobe fans will conveniently forget the fact that that's due to the fact kobe has played longer (MJ retired 3 times and was injured for a season effecting those numbers) and even though people will get upset for me saying this, and this is where I respect LBJ even though I don't like him, is that kobe has spent his whole career obsessively following/copying MJ to the point of weirdness, from his mannerisms, to his game, whatever you name it, like it or not, LBJ has patterned his own path and game, and even though kobe is a great player, kobe fans and stans seem to always forget about this and fans of MJ, LBJ, etc. always have to remind them of this, its like they want to forget or pretend that it's not there for kobe and it is, it's so glaring how can fans and stans not see this, even though kobe is a great, most of the NBA greats have made their own paths and patterned their own game, kobe has always wanted to take over/copy the path MJ made instead of create his own which is very unorthodox, and the fact that sometimes kobe plays it off as if he's not doing that makes it even more strange, but I could be wrong...
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's a dumb argument.
    That's a great feat don't matter who did it.
  • blu197
    Options
    Crimson11 wrote: »
    Like its ? seriously saying KOBE aint got ? on MJ even though he only has 1 less ring. (Even though he will likely finish with more points in his career than Mike)

I don't think its like that, I think that because people and your very comment aims to act like kobe got 3 rings without the most dominant center ever IMO, and 2 with two other all-star 7 footers people think that kobe doesn't hold a candle to MJ, and it's also the fact that even though he may pass MJ in points Kobe fans will conveniently forget the fact that that's due to the fact kobe has played longer (MJ retired 3 times and was injured for a season effecting those numbers) and even though people will get upset for me saying this, and this is where I respect LBJ even though I don't like him, is that kobe has spent his whole career obsessively following/copying MJ to the point of weirdness, from his mannerisms, to his game, whatever you name it, like it or not, LBJ has patterned his own path and game..

You say Kobe hasn't patterned his own path but his career is extremely different than MJs and Lbj's.. Yes kobe played with a legit HOF big man in Shaq (Pau isn't legit HOF talent b/c he probly wouldn't get in if it wasn't for Kobe, kinda like Bosh will be with Bron) But he also NEVER played with a HOF perimeter player like Lbj did with Wade and Jordan did with Scottie... Basically Kobe may have patterned his game after Mj but not his formula to win like Lbj had to, those Heat teams that won the last two titles are kinda like a mirror to those early 90s Bulls squad....

And Lbj's style of play is not some new revolutionary ? bruh his game is based off Magics just with athleticism added to it, basically a Point Forward and he's not the 1st one the NBAs ever had but he is hands down the best....
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL at Pau wouldn't get into the HOF without Kobe, what kind of stupid ? is that. He was an allstar in Memphis and won with his national team, that alone would of gotten him in the HOF based on his stats too.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    That's a dumb argument.
    That's a great feat don't matter who did it.

Bruh you make a valid point and Ima let you finish but my niggaaa yo sig doe!

#YesLawwwwddd

• Maalik
    edited October 2013
    Options
    LOL at Pau wouldn't get into the HOF without Kobe, what kind of stupid ? is that. He was an allstar in Memphis and won with his national team, that alone would of gotten him in the HOF based on his stats too.

You a ? liar lmao. Nobody was watching that boy down in Memphis.

Chris Webber ? all over Pau Gasol's career pre-Kobe and his ass not in the HOF.
  • blu197
    Options

Gasol only made ONE all star game pre-Kobe and never avg over 20ppg and 10reb if you think that's enough to get in the HOF then your ? and need to never come back to CS

You a ? liar lmao. Nobody was watching that boy down in Memphis.

Chris Webber ? all over Pau Gasol's career pre-Kobe and his ass not in the HOF.

C/s i bet his ? didn't even kno who Pau was b4 he went to Lakers
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not just the NBA HOF, combine that with his over seas career he is a HOF'er
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya'll heard Jalen Rose saying that MJ is going to come back for one game this season? Would you watch this?