Kanye West is a Modern Day Michelangelo

Options

Comments

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    @Lab Baby ? aint reading that young novel you just published. Word of the day for you brethren is Concision.

That's them. ? wanna talk Michelangelo and Kanye being a genius, but can't take the time to read some ? , even if the opinion is way off. No shots intended, just pointing out the irony.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Dog you ? really need to get out of this little bubble ... Kanye album is one of the best selling records of the year without a real marketing push (which shouldnt be ignored) and he's on tour right now performing all of the songs that people you claim "arnt feeling" the market is bigger than just the ? your exposed to ..his audience is bigger than that to ..this whole narrative about people not feeling his ? is intellectually dishonest and inaccurate

So is this ? about him being humble and respectful when he first came out?!? Why y'all ? keep typing ? like this? That ? was never on some humble respectful ? lol .. Other than that you had some good general points about the industry tho here and there but overall that ? is full of innacurate blah blah blah ... You need to get some facts straight bruh

The marketing push is in front of your face. Kanye talking about it constantly, him proposing to Kim Kardashian on TV, the rants, the controversy... it's all to keep Kanye's name in the people's conscious. I'm not saying Yeezus is unanimously bad, I'm just saying I'm hearing and seeing more negative than good, from more than just my "little bubble". And I know about Kanye. This the same man that said he was gonna be Michael Jackson before his first album dropped. But got damn if I don't think CD is the Thriller of hip hop, and I stand behind that. The difference is, he made it his business to back up his word. He put out product that people liked, and genuinely ? with the people. His arrogance was against the media that doubted him. But now, you see that he's losing himself. And not even becoming someone different, which would've been fine. Nothing wrong with change. But he's becoming the same people that don't even want him to succeed, and then not even using their tactics correctly. Then on top of that, he's not even 100% in his work. 5 mufuckas writing one song?... scust. I don't know what he's doing in the fashion world, but he's obviously not satisfied with the results. All I'm saying is if he wants to do that, he's gotta show up with the same tenacity he had initially in the rap game, which even you gotta admit he's not doing 100% in. And I say humility, cuz humility shows in the work... cuz it proves that you stopped talking about being great and actually started BEING great.

None of that stuff you mentioned came pre album drop .. The album was announced then dropped a month later he had one TV appearance no radio rounds no real interviews no exposure with a hit single and still sold well ..if your not going to acknowledge that these descions were concious and had an obvious effect on the sales of the cd then hey..it is what it is .. But it seems pretty obvious this wasn't that type of album designed to sell a million first week ..they didnt put the machine around it to produce that kind of success ..but like I said all that ? is really moot anyways as the album is one of the highest selling rap records of the year .. You can't be sitting here telling me about albums sales are a problem when the ? is gold and still pushing ...lol that fundamentally makes no sense

Again tho like I said you have your personal gripes against him and his current product but the fact of the matter is people outside of your bubble are ? with this ? in droves .. That's just the facts bruh..people don't care that he used 5peole to write a song .. Why does that even matter anyways? Lol some of your points of contention seem rather petty and inconsequential as well as contradictory so im not gonna touch on everything but honestly your whole point is that he's loosing people because he's loosing himself right? But can you honestly say that he's any less relevant in music today than he ever was?

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Lol Kanye being humble when it's been said he was screaming he gonna be the best ever when labels turned him down gtfoh lol
  • Lab Baby
    Options

None of that stuff you mentioned came pre album drop .. The album was announced then dropped a month later he had one TV appearance no radio rounds no real interviews no exposure with a hit single and still sold well ..if your not going to acknowledge that these descions were concious and had an obvious effect on the sales of the cd then hey..it is what it is .. But it seems pretty obvious this wasn't that type of album designed to sell a million first week ..they didnt put the machine around it to produce that kind of success ..but like I said all that ? is really moot anyways as the album is one of the highest selling rap records of the year .. You can't be sitting here telling me about albums sales are a problem when the ? is gold and still pushing ...lol that fundamentally makes no sense

Again tho like I said you have your personal gripes against him and his current product but the fact of the matter is people outside of your bubble are ? with this ? in droves .. That's just the facts bruh..people don't care that he used 5peole to write a song .. Why does that even matter anyways? Lol some of your points of contention seem rather petty and inconsequential as well as contradictory so im not gonna touch on everything but honestly your whole point is that he's loosing people because he's loosing himself right? But can you honestly say that he's any less relevant in music today than he ever was?

Regardless of what I think, you think, or the media thinks... people hate more Kanye more than ever, and he was pretty hated before. He stated it himself, and he continues to carry on tradition. Plus teamed up with the most hated celebrity in America? If you can't see that, I don't know what else to show you. Yeah, Yeezus is one of the highest selling albums, and prolly the most critically acclaimed. BTW, droves is an exaggeration. It's not like he's doing Thriller numbers, even with an album like this. Speaking of Em, Relapse was the same album... that ? shouldn't have sold what it did. It was filled with psychopathic ? , it had two singles that charted and disappeared, and aside from his late night rounds, received very little promo from the machine. That ? sold off Em's name and word of mouth. Kanye has the same pull in the industry... so why hasn't this album sold?

All I'm saying is, his arrogance doesn't back up his work. Yes, at a point he was a genius. But leaning on other creators (credit given or not), then expecting to gain respect in the same industry that doesn't respect you, all the while losing your footing in the industry that bred you (who was the last person aside from his affiliates that requested a Kanye beat?)... I just think this is a delusional dude with ? up priorities. He said it himself in an interview... "I'm not 100% into music". So it's not even my opinion anymore... it shows he himself isn't as dedicated to his music as we are of it, but he is waaaaaaay more dedicated to himself than we are.

But opinions are irrelevant in this case. The only factor that can be proven is... do the people stand behind Kanye? Yes, he's relevant as ever, but for the wrong reasons. Every Kanye album he has backed up his arrogance (LMAO @ people thinking I said he was always humble). The same Kanye fresh off ? off white America by interrupting Taylor Swift can sell a mill and a half with little promo, in a worse climate (only one new rapper cracked gold/platinum in '10). What's different now? Jay can go plat in a day, and Ye has been selling more than him since 07. Mackelmore can go plat on an indie label, so there's no race card to even play. Even dudes like Ross, who have no appeal outside of their core base, can sell in this climate. Ye is none of those people. "No promo" is no excuse for Kanye. WTT went plat with no real single til NIP like a month or so later. He can and should be able to go platinum from word of mouth. But the machine, the same people that he's turning to for that creative freedom, paint him as a white washed, self hating, racist, misogynistic, anti-Christian lunatic (NOT MY OPINION), and take emphasis away from the message in his music. And some people buy into that, a lot more people than you think. He definitely alienated a lot of Christians with that Yeezus ? . My problem is, he doesn't correctly put such controversial topics in its proper perspective. He just expects people to get it and give him respect just cuz he's Kanye and he needs it. I'm not gonna sit here and explain how Yeezus dropped the ball in delivering that message, I'd be typing all day. But how can Kanye carry out his mission if he can't get the public behind it?

I'm not saying NOBODY checks for Kanye, saying so would be stupid. But, he's slowly alienating himself from people, which he needs for his cause. And as much as some people don't care about Kanye as a person, the machine cares about him even less. They don't care about any of us. Kanye needs to stop chasing them and accomplish those dreams by other means. He has to get the people behind his MUSIC, because people respect him as a musician, and the Kanye I know can get the people behind him if he was on his CD ? . Regardless if they buy it or not, they have to get the message in its entirety. He can't have zombies following him, no progress will happen. Wu and RZA had the same problem. They had an entire plan with spreading universal knowledge, but people just blindly followed the music without any real perspective. Once the jiggy era came, the Wu never obtained that same success again. The difference was, then the people weren't ready. Now I think the people are waking up. I'm not saying Kanye COMPLETELY fell off, nor am I saying everyone hates Kanye. If I did at any point, my bad. But he's gotta stay in touch with the people, and stay dedicated to his true craft, cuz both are the reason he's here in the first place, and will be the reason he takes pop culture to the next level like he wants to.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »

All I'm saying is, his arrogance doesn't back up his work. Yes, at a point he was a genius. But leaning on other creators (credit given or not), then expecting to gain respect in the same industry that doesn't respect you, all the while losing your footing in the industry that bred you (who was the last person aside from his affiliates that requested a Kanye beat?)... I just think this is a delusional dude with ? up priorities. He said it himself in an interview... "I'm not 100% into music". So it's not even my opinion anymore... it shows he himself isn't as dedicated to his music as we are of it, but he is waaaaaaay more dedicated to himself than we are.

But opinions are irrelevant in this case. The only factor that can be proven is... do the people stand behind Kanye? Yes, he's relevant as ever, but for the wrong reasons. Every Kanye album he has backed up his arrogance (LMAO @ people thinking I said he was always humble). The same Kanye fresh off ? off white America by interrupting Taylor Swift can sell a mill and a half with little promo, in a worse climate (only one new rapper cracked gold/platinum in '10). What's different now? Jay can go plat in a day, and Ye has been selling more than him since 07. Mackelmore can go plat on an indie label, so there's no race card to even play. Even dudes like Ross, who have no appeal outside of their core base, can sell in this climate. Ye is none of those people. "No promo" is no excuse for Kanye. WTT went plat with no real single til NIP like a month or so later. He can and should be able to go platinum from word of mouth. But the machine, the same people that he's turning to for that creative freedom, paint him as a white washed, self hating, racist, misogynistic, anti-Christian lunatic (NOT MY OPINION), and take emphasis away from the message in his music. And some people buy into that, a lot more people than you think. He definitely alienated a lot of Christians with that Yeezus ? . My problem is, he doesn't correctly put such controversial topics in its proper perspective. He just expects people to get it and give him respect just cuz he's Kanye and he needs it. I'm not gonna sit here and explain how Yeezus dropped the ball in delivering that message, I'd be typing all day. But how can Kanye carry out his mission if he can't get the public behind it?

I'm not saying NOBODY checks for Kanye, saying so would be stupid. But, he's slowly alienating himself from people, which he needs for his cause. And as much as some people don't care about Kanye as a person, the machine cares about him even less. They don't care about any of us. Kanye needs to stop chasing them and accomplish those dreams by other means. He has to get the people behind his MUSIC, because people respect him as a musician, and the Kanye I know can get the people behind him if he was on his CD ? . Regardless if they buy it or not, they have to get the message in its entirety. He can't have zombies following him, no progress will happen. Wu and RZA had the same problem. They had an entire plan with spreading universal knowledge, but people just blindly followed the music without any real perspective. Once the jiggy era came, the Wu never obtained that same success again. The difference was, then the people weren't ready. Now I think the people are waking up. I'm not saying Kanye COMPLETELY fell off, nor am I saying everyone hates Kanye. If I did at any point, my bad. But he's gotta stay in touch with the people, and stay dedicated to his true craft, cuz both are the reason he's here in the first place, and will be the reason he takes pop culture to the next level like he wants to.

Kanye at his peak was never anywhere near being comparable to Em's peak in regards to sales .. I mean you can compare them if you want for entertainment purposes but bro we all know Em's numbers are inflated due to his race so like I said I don't get your point in brining him into this conversation you know.. Also I think your being a little dramatic yes people don't like kanye yes people don't "like" Kim buuuuttt they also have people who do invest time into them and into their outputs regardless of how they feel about them personally ..all those people watching that TV show don't hate the kardashians bruh their popular because like it or not there's lots of folks that mess with them ..their polorizing figures ...that's all it is ..

Like I said tho reading your stuff its really jumbled and convoluted like ..what kind of question is "how many people asked for a kanye beat" ??? Lol ? who knows...I know you don't ..more than likely the logical answer is he dosent want to occupy his time producing for other ? anymore ..he dosent have to ..he's a star in his own right what's the point of trying to get your beats out to others when you've reached a status where you can put out your own ? out yourself at will or hand pick who you give your product to..

Secondly you think MBDTF had no promo? You mean the album he did a movie for? The album he took over MTV with after closing down the VMAs? The album that introduced us to Good Fridays? Really bro bro? That album got promoted for like 8-9 months hard before it dropped again I don't know what your talking about ..

Jayz had a national campaign for his album bro ..tied into the sale of a new commodity in the market

You don't see how these things tie into album sales bruh?

Anyways tho ..good chat bruh I see where your coming from I just think your being a little dramatic with what your saying I think people mess with him in enough of a way to where he can get te things done that he wants to get done ... He's an entertainer a passoniate one at that and an artist .. I don't know exactly what you mean by he needs the people behind him to "do what he wants" ..it sounds like your expecting something a little more out of him than need be ..he's not a social activist in a strict sense ..he's a creator that's were I leave it at
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    How you white washed and racist at the same time
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »

It’s almost difficult to write anything about Kanye. He just says it all himself. Like he did yesterday morning on L.A.’s Power 106 when he said this:

Everybody got some advice for me, you know what I mean, like, ‘I don’t like the way you goin’ about doin’ it’ and ‘Michael Jackson never did this.’ I said, ‘I ain’t Michael Jackson.’ I’m not just a musician — I’m a Christian revolutionary visionary products person. I ain’t here to dance for y’all. I ain’t here to do a two-step. That’s just a piece, that was just my end. And now I wanna create, I wanna create content. I mean, eventually, ten years from now, I just wanna create for the church, period. I’m Christian, I’mma design the new Sistine Chapel(s).

mj-laughing.gif
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Michelangelo was an homosexual tho.

Maybe kanye is trying to tell us something
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does Kanye even play any instruments to call him self a musician? If not he just a music artist/songwriter which different than a musician.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe you tryin to tell us something
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And a cross-dresser...
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you stop responding he will stop.
  • Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The yeezus impact already being felt

He performed in that outfit too lol
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    Options
    A few things are missing on this dialogue so i'll just add my piece. What the naysayers is failing to realize is that every great artist is made from internal struggle. That is what makes them great. Their imperfections and being a conscious human being is what connects,reasonates the human psyche to that imperfection because we all have or have had to deal with that struggle at some point in life. Ye lost his moms in the public eye. MJ dealt with some foul ? as a child growing up in the industry, and Michealangelo was viewed as odd by the way he carried himself looking dissheveled and homeless and seemed to be struggling with his sexuality,homophobia and never having a real relationship with women. Things not directly presented but their artwork is all a reflection of that. That is what connects, the spirit of the individual,that unspoken understanding. All this other stuff on pointing out flaws in character is irrelevant.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh c'mon!!@##$%%%%^^!!!!!!@#
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Lab Baby .. Yeah nice analogy with RZA . ..
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And the titanographs are doing my head in .. It ain't that deep ?

KanYe wants to be the opposite of what goes as the norm in showbiz kinda like Ali in his prime. He wants to wind people up with an in-built arrogance.

It doesn't bother me 'cos that's who he's always come accross as right from the start. I find most of his rants hilarious and entertaining . ..
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options

Post makes no sense
  • BamBamMr7Gram
    BamBamMr7Gram Members Posts: 329 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? be writing titangraphs about this ?
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Kanye influence in hiphop >>>>>>>any rapper right now
  • Lab Baby
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    And the titanographs are doing my head in .. It ain't that deep ?

KanYe wants to be the opposite of what goes as the norm in showbiz kinda like Ali in his prime. He wants to wind people up with an in-built arrogance.

It doesn't bother me 'cos that's who he's always come accross as right from the start. I find most of his rants hilarious and entertaining . ..

I was high as ? yesterday, so I had a lot to say. To sum all that up in one sentence: Kanye's dope, but his arrogance is gonna be his downfall.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Post makes no sense

ok i will think of something better next time