Spinoff: For The 10 Thousandth Time...The "African American" vs "Black American" Thread...

Options

Comments

• bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd rather just be called American. ? the 'African American' part. 'Cause when you go to Africa you will realize how American you really are. So unless your a fresh African immigrating to America, I don't see the sense in calling us 'African American' anymore. The same with any racial group in America. The whole point is to immigrate to become American.
  • bkkbully
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I'll feel better about dropping 'African-American' when this country affords everybody the same rights and privileges. And why is it that I've never heard anyone call for any other ethnic group to let go of their heritage like that? My mom spent most of her young adult life in NY so I used to spend summers there with Granny. Never heard anyone tell the Italian-American cats, 'Fam, you ain't never been to Italy. Your great, great grandparents came over here 80 years ago. Cut it out. You're American.

And they don't even identify as 'Italian-American'. If you ask, they'll tell you 'I'm Italian'.

Until they go to Italy and Italians say to them, 'Your not Italian, your AMERICAN. Your mannerisms are American, you walk American, etc etc.' I think when we all realize that we are all Americans and we drop the 'pre ethnicity' role call, ? will make much more sense
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not een about knowing about Africa...It's about, ? , you aren't from Africa...I was born there, have family there and am still ignorant to a lotta the history/current events on the continent...My room mate is from Spain and has been to northern Africa hella times, like every year of his life...Told me the whole history of Algeria one day...He don't call himself an African-Spaniard...He's just a Spaniard...
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    If you're black you're African. Call yiurself what you want to.

That's simply not true on a relative scale...That's like saying if you're human you're African....If you have no ties to Africa, how are you claiming the country?....You false flaggin...And you allowing someone else to dictate to you the idea that you aren't simply an American...Why do you have to be something else on top of that?...Regular white people here are just American, so why aren't regular black people just American?

Can't lay claim to any of the countries bruh. But the continent....yes...and that is African.

Just like if you have slanted eyes you're Asian, no matter what your family history is you are Asian no matter what. Same with black skin/nappy hair.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bkkbully wrote: »
    I'll feel better about dropping 'African-American' when this country affords everybody the same rights and privileges. And why is it that I've never heard anyone call for any other ethnic group to let go of their heritage like that? My mom spent most of her young adult life in NY so I used to spend summers there with Granny. Never heard anyone tell the Italian-American cats, 'Fam, you ain't never been to Italy. Your great, great grandparents came over here 80 years ago. Cut it out. You're American.

And they don't even identify as 'Italian-American'. If you ask, they'll tell you 'I'm Italian'.

Until they go to Italy and Italians say to them, 'Your not Italian, your AMERICAN. Your mannerisms are American, you walk American, etc etc.' I think when we all realize that we are all Americans and we drop the 'pre ethnicity' role call, ? will make much more sense

italian is a defined culture and comes from one particular group of people african is not so your comparison is faulty
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, we're all American. But this country was founded on certain principals that don't usually apply to people of color. I'm so not one of the Al Sharpton ? who always looking for a mountain top to scream 'Black power' from. But should I identify myself as American first, if the very principals that this country was founded on don't apply to people who look like me? Should forget that my lineage goes back to West Africa and pledge myself fully to a place where I can't walk down the street without being stopped, handcuffed and searched?

Nah, I'm good.

African American works fine for me. Black, as well. 'Black American'? Lol. Nah.
  • bkkbully
    Options

That's simply not true on a relative scale...That's like saying if you're human you're African....If you have no ties to Africa, how are you claiming the country?....You false flaggin...And you allowing someone else to dictate to you the idea that you aren't simply an American...Why do you have to be something else on top of that?...Regular white people here are just American, so why aren't regular black people just American?

Can't lay claim to any of the countries bruh. But the continent....yes...and that is African.

Just like if you have slanted eyes you're Asian, no matter what your family history is you are Asian no matter what. Same with black skin/nappy hair.

But you weren't raised in Africa. You don't celebrate African holidays (or your African country's holidays). When people talk about American heroes such as Martin Luther King Jr, JFK, Neil Armstrong, blah blah that is our American history. Regardless if you were born in America or if you got your American citizenship yesterday. Thats the beauty of the USA.
  • zombie
    Options
    It's not een about knowing about Africa...It's about, ? , you aren't from Africa...I was born there, have family there and am still ignorant to a lotta the history/current events on the continent...My room mate is from Spain and has been to northern Africa hella times, like every year of his life...Told me the whole history of Algeria one day...He don't call himself an African-Spaniard...He's just a Spaniard...

what he calls himself is not enough to define what he really is he could call himself japanes but that would not make him one.
  • A1000MILES
    Options

I mis-spoke on the country ? , wasnt payin attention...But that too, is wrong...All Asians don't have slanted eyes....And all people with slanted eyes aren't Asian...

• zombie
    Options
    I'd rather just be called American. ? the 'African American' part. 'Cause when you go to Africa you will realize how American you really are. So unless your a fresh African immigrating to America, I don't see the sense in calling us 'African American' anymore. The same with any racial group in America. The whole point is to immigrate to become American.

i did not come to this country to become american i came here to get money, americans got this ? confused people do not come here to be american we come here to get money.
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    ^^^ You are an immigrant...Americans are not...Do you see the difference...?
  • bkkbully
    Options

Yeah, we're all American. But this country was founded on certain principals that don't usually apply to people of color. I'm so not one of the Al Sharpton ? who always looking for a mountain top to scream 'Black power' from. But should I identify myself as American first, if the very principals that this country was founded on don't apply to people who look like me? Should forget that my lineage goes back to West Africa and pledge myself fully to a place where I can't walk down the street without being stopped, handcuffed and searched?

Nah, I'm good.

Bruh I understand what your saying. I never said forget your lineage. Plus in most countries around the world you can walk around without being stopped, handcuffed, and searched. All I'm saying is, your American. If you get a passport, it says American not African American and I think more Americans should realize that we're all one regardless of our ? up backgrounds. Every country has its downfalls. I'm typing this from China right now. I went out to a bar with a few Kenyans and even Chinese people knew right away that I was American. I'm just saying bruh, America is ours to claim just like everyone else's
  • bkkbully
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

i did not come to this country to become american i came here to get money, americans got this ? confused people do not come here to be american we come here to get money.

It doesn't matter though. America = MONEY. Why you think people spend their lives trying to get to the US? Because of the $$$ and opportunities. You ain't different from no one my ? . We all know this ? . Once you immigrate, you become AMERICAN. Unless your company sponsored you a work permit and you have the same passport as your mother country
  • No_Way_Jose
    No_Way_Jose Members Posts: 71
    Options
    I'm a ? . Straight up. ? a whitewash.
  • zombie
    Options

the man said the point of immigration was to become american
    don't just read my reply read what he said then read my reply
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah, I'm good.

Bruh I understand what your saying. I never said forget your lineage. Plus in most countries around the world you can walk around without being stopped, handcuffed, and searched. All I'm saying is, your American. If you get a passport, it says American not African American and I think more Americans should realize that we're all one regardless of our ? up backgrounds. Every country has its downfalls. I'm typing this from China right now. I went out to a bar with a few Kenyans and even Chinese people knew right away that I was American. I'm just saying bruh, America is ours to claim just like everyone else's

And I get what you're saying. I just don't agree with you. That's ok, son. We ain't gotta agree. What part of China you in? I was there a couple years back hanging with a bunch of cats from around the world. ? was like the United Nations at the bar and ? . Lol.
  • A1000MILES
    Options

No...You came here for that specific reason...Ery black person that ever came here did not...Some did come to assimilate...Some came to marry...Some came to study...Some had no choice, like me...Point is, an immigrant is not the same as someone who has generations of family here on both sides...You usually won't have the same mentality or upbringing...
  • bkkbully
    Options

Yes, exactly. There are several benefits to holding an American passport. I'm sure you know already. But I'm confused as if your a US citizen or just a non-US citizen working in America. Obviously there are drastically different viewpoints
  • bkkbully
    Options

Nah, I'm good.

And I get what you're saying. I just don't agree with you. That's ok, son. We ain't gotta agree. What part of China you in? I was there a couple years back hanging with a bunch of cats from around the world. ? was like the United Nations at the bar and ? . Lol.

lol real ? ! All good fam. Right now I'm in Shanghai. Was in Hangzhou for a few days and was in Hong Kong a week before.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol this ? said Blacks should be "proud" to be American
    33m7ksz.gif
  • zombie
    edited November 2013
    Options

It doesn't matter though. America = MONEY. Why you think people spend their lives trying to get to the US? Because of the $$$ and opportunities. You ain't different from no one my ? . We all know this ? . Once you immigrate, you become AMERICAN. Unless your company sponsored you a work permit and you have the same passport as your mother country

I am not american no matter what my passport says, passports and documents do not define what a person is. If i lost those documents what would i be? a black male. if i immigrate to china and get a passport would i be chinese ? your identify is more than just your nationality. NATIONALITY is the least part of what you are.

and loyalty to the nation state is an out dated concept
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    Why the ? not?...Blacks damn built this country...You should take pride in the fact that your ancestors' made you equal to the British/French/etc white people who brought them here...It's not like America is just paradise for blacks but if you from here why should you have to feel any less than American?...Why do you need to be classified a step further?

lol this ? said Blacks should be "proud" to be American

• BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is it. Goated.

• BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall telling me we have 'black" folks not wanting to be called African-American, but will call each other ? all day and night?

lol, come on son....
  • bkkbully
    Options

I am not american no matter what my passport says, passports and documents do not define what a person is. If i lost those documents what would i be? a black male. if i immigrate to china and get a passport would i be chinese ? your identify is more than just your nationality. NATIONALITY is the least part of what you are.

and loyalty to the nation state is an out dated concept

Lol, yes ? thats exactly what I'm saying. If you lost those documents you just go to an Embassy/Consulate and get another set of documents. Your still American. If you immigrate to China and you get a Chinese passport your ass would be CHINESE. I actually know a lot of people who are (were) Western and immigrated to Asian countries and now they are 'name your Asian nationality'. This isn't about loyalty to the state, its just about international law fam...