Spinoff: For The 10 Thousandth Time...The "African American" vs "Black American" Thread...

Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bkkbully wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    ^^^ You are an immigrant...Americans are not...Do you see the difference...?

the man said the point of immigration was to become american
    don't just read my reply read what he said then read my reply

No...You came here for that specific reason...Ery black person that ever came here did not...Some did come to assimilate...Some came to marry...Some came to study...Some had no choice, like me...Point is, an immigrant is not the same as someone who has generations of family here on both sides...You usually won't have the same mentality or upbringing...

Most immigrants came here for a better life and nothing more i would have went to the uk if i thought it would have been better, there was nothing about america that made it more special other than they were the ones who took me. assimilation is the last thing in the back of an immigrants mind Lol you think a border jumper gives a rats ass about being american?

people marry ameicans to get citizenship so that they can have more opportunities or for love. being an american was not their focus. the problem with america is that it is not a real identity it's only a nationality and that is why there is hypenated america.

I can't stand when people say that, because Americans are a true identity and a true culture. I've only found this out in the last few years or so only because I've traveled. America has a culture (though a young one). You can see it everywhere in the world actually. There are millions of people around the globe who emulate how Americans dress, talk, walk, speak, the movies, the American slang, the music etc etc. Our greatest exports are weapons and entertainment. The influence spreads vastly

most of americas so called cultural creations cannot find there birth solely in america. american music is really african and european music. americans don't walk different, and entertainment by itself cannot be a culture. america is too young to have it's own culture. what you have in this nation is pockets of other peoples culture.

So your telling me Jazz, blues, rock, country & hip hop isn't American music/culture? Don't come at me on some 'drums started in Africa so the heart of music is in Africa' type ish.' Come on bruh. We created Hollywood, we created the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB where players from around the world are recruited to play. We created Google, we created Apple. With that said, entertainment is very much part of our culture, as is weapons (which is why I brought up our main exports). What other country in the world has 'Gun Culture' like America? It belongs to us.

? are you serious lol basketball was invented by a canadian and what you call football is rugby with pads baseball is a form of cricket and jazz is based on african music played on european instuments it was put together in america but the elements that made jazz were not invented in america.

google and apple have nothing to do with culture the first movie was not made in america and if you want to claim americas gun obsession as a real culture and not a misnomer okay.

Bruh...no one said anything about who invented basketball. This has nothing to do with the 'first' anything. I'm talking about now, in our lifetime. Why do you think the NFL is called American Football around the world ? ?! Thats our ? ! That's our culture. Don't front and act like the major league sports (besides soccer, cricket, & rugby) aren't based in the USA. Don't front and act like Google/Apple didn't change the world with American technology. It doesn't matter if the first movie wasn't made in America. Where are Hollywood blockbusters based? Where do actors around the world go to to make their dreams come true? Entertainment is so ingrained in American life you might not even realize it. Any instrument can be used to make jazz, duh. It's not the tools, its what you do with the tools. Hence, AMERICA

you said the sports were american, but they were not invented by americans.you need to educate yourself some more apple and google are international companies the fact that they are based in america is meaningless. and just because something is popular does not mean that it is a cultural creation of the society that popularizes it.

anime was created by japan and is big there if america starts making more popular anime does that mean that anime is part of american culture and america should claim it. and that it is no longer japanese. a culture is a way of seeing the world not just a ? sport or music or any art those things are creations of a culture.

but america has none that is uniquely american

Let my ? Webster define culture for you :

: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time

: a particular society that has its own beliefs, ways of life, art, etc.

: a way of thinking, behaving, or working that exists in a place or organization (such as a business)

I won't go any further. Enjoy America my fellow American

none of which originates in america and you won't go further becuase you can't

and i am not american not matter what my passport says

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_States

I don't really care if you feel like your 'not American'. Feel how you like, its a free country. If you have an American passport, your paying American taxes. So I'm sure your check feels pretty American.

? the government and the law does not define who a people are, a government cannot create a culture and that is what you don't seem to under stand.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just examining your opinion on different angles

how about two americans raising a child in a foreign country, child is american or nah?

My mom is Carolinian...My dad Nigerian...I was born in Nigeria...I moved here at 3...I'm an African American, by way of immigration...Since I was raised in America with mostly American ideals...My kids will be American if they're raised here, and so will their kids...They'd have no real ties to Africa unless I take them there ...
  • zombie
    Options

No...You came here for that specific reason...Ery black person that ever came here did not...Some did come to assimilate...Some came to marry...Some came to study...Some had no choice, like me...Point is, an immigrant is not the same as someone who has generations of family here on both sides...You usually won't have the same mentality or upbringing...

Most immigrants came here for a better life and nothing more i would have went to the uk if i thought it would have been better, there was nothing about america that made it more special other than they were the ones who took me. assimilation is the last thing in the back of an immigrants mind Lol you think a border jumper gives a rats ass about being american?

people marry ameicans to get citizenship so that they can have more opportunities or for love. being an american was not their focus. the problem with america is that it is not a real identity it's only a nationality and that is why there is hypenated america.

I can't stand when people say that, because Americans are a true identity and a true culture. I've only found this out in the last few years or so only because I've traveled. America has a culture (though a young one). You can see it everywhere in the world actually. There are millions of people around the globe who emulate how Americans dress, talk, walk, speak, the movies, the American slang, the music etc etc. Our greatest exports are weapons and entertainment. The influence spreads vastly

most of americas so called cultural creations cannot find there birth solely in america. american music is really african and european music. americans don't walk different, and entertainment by itself cannot be a culture. america is too young to have it's own culture. what you have in this nation is pockets of other peoples culture.

So your telling me Jazz, blues, rock, country & hip hop isn't American music/culture? Don't come at me on some 'drums started in Africa so the heart of music is in Africa' type ish.' Come on bruh. We created Hollywood, we created the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB where players from around the world are recruited to play. We created Google, we created Apple. With that said, entertainment is very much part of our culture, as is weapons (which is why I brought up our main exports). What other country in the world has 'Gun Culture' like America? It belongs to us.

? are you serious lol basketball was invented by a canadian and what you call football is rugby with pads baseball is a form of cricket and jazz is based on african music played on european instuments it was put together in america but the elements that made jazz were not invented in america.

google and apple have nothing to do with culture the first movie was not made in america and if you want to claim americas gun obsession as a real culture and not a misnomer okay.

Bruh...no one said anything about who invented basketball. This has nothing to do with the 'first' anything. I'm talking about now, in our lifetime. Why do you think the NFL is called American Football around the world ? ?! Thats our ? ! That's our culture. Don't front and act like the major league sports (besides soccer, cricket, & rugby) aren't based in the USA. Don't front and act like Google/Apple didn't change the world with American technology. It doesn't matter if the first movie wasn't made in America. Where are Hollywood blockbusters based? Where do actors around the world go to to make their dreams come true? Entertainment is so ingrained in American life you might not even realize it. Any instrument can be used to make jazz, duh. It's not the tools, its what you do with the tools. Hence, AMERICA

you said the sports were american, but they were not invented by americans.you need to educate yourself some more apple and google are international companies the fact that they are based in america is meaningless. and just because something is popular does not mean that it is a cultural creation of the society that popularizes it.

anime was created by japan and is big there if america starts making more popular anime does that mean that anime is part of american culture and america should claim it. and that it is no longer japanese. a culture is a way of seeing the world not just a ? sport or music or any art those things are creations of a culture.

: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time

: a way of thinking, behaving, or working that exists in a place or organization (such as a business)

Of course you're not American...You might be a citizen but you're not from here...You are Jamaican American...However, if you stay here...Your kids' kids, or their kids. will undoubtedly be American...Not Jamaican American, not African American...American.

if i am not american my kids cannot be american either there is no such things as an american the term american is nothing more than a political creation it does not tell you anything about the person other than where they were born.

What's your point here?...Mine is that a person should be classified based on where they were born and/or raised....Not where their great great great great great great great great great ancestors that they kniw nothing about came from...

My point is nationality is not ethnicity and we should be classified by our race/ethnic groups and american is not an ethnic group it's a nationality a nationality described where you were born and sometimes raised but that is irreleveant to your ethnicity. If i tell you i am african/black american that tells you much more about me than just calling myself american . calling myself american does not tell you much and is a poor description of myself.

Under african you have a whole lot of ethic groups some in africa some not physically in africa but they are all african.

the term "black" unites everything the whole race.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just examining your opinion on different angles

how about two americans raising a child in a foreign country, child is american or nah?

My mom is Carolinian...My dad Nigerian...I was born in Nigeria...I moved here at 3...I'm an African American, by way of immigration...Since I was raised in America with mostly American ideals...My kids will be American if they're raised here, and so will their kids...They'd have no real ties to Africa unless I take them there ...

thats cool
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't really care if you feel like your 'not American'. Feel how you like, its a free country. If you have an American passport, your paying American taxes. So I'm sure your check feels pretty American.

? the government and the law does not define who a people are, a government cannot create a culture and that is what you don't seem to under stand.

...did you even read the link? this has nothing to do with government. this has to do with American culture. I used the passport reference as an example.
  • zombie
    edited November 2013
    Options

...did you even read the link? this has nothing to do with government. this has to do with American culture. I used the passport reference as an example.

that wiki is basically saying that america is composed of different cultures which only supports what i have been trying to say, nothing here is original and came from someplace else. educate yourself. there is no native american culture except for the so called american indian.

pointing to sports and music that don't find there genesis in america is not helping your point nor is claiming apple and google. american is not an ethnic group and the so called culture of "americans" come from someplace else.
  • zombie
    edited November 2013
    Options
    america is like a bag of marbles with each marble being a different race, culture or creed and the bag itself is european culture. American music art lanuage political structure all came from other nations and peoples.

IN ANOTHER 400 YEARS we might have an american culture but as of today it does not really exist unless you want to call consumerism and gun obsession culture. the germans have a german way of seeing life america does not the so called american way of life is really just consumerism. Which is the elevation and ? of an economic system and english common law.
  • bkkbully
    Options
    So right now as I'm overseas and people from outside of America talk to me about 'American Culture' which obviously exists, I should tell them that this 'culture' they speak of doesn't exist? You need to educate yourself. There is an American culture whether you'd like to acknowledge it or not. You can't possibly be that ignorant
  • bkkbully
    Options

that wiki is basically saying that america is composed of different cultures which only supports what i have been trying to say, nothing here is original and came from someplace else. educate yourself. there is no native american culture except for the so called american indian.

pointing to sports and music that don't find there genesis in america is not helping your point nor is claiming apple and google. american is not an ethnic group and the so called culture of "americans" come from someplace else.

Go travel my ? . You will be able to pick out an American a mile away due to mannerisms, the way they dress, our accent, etc etc. No matter what type of color you are, you will know instantly. ? I smoked a L last night with some folks and they were putting tobacco in the joint. They said to me, "We know Americans don't like to use tobacco in the joint, but just try it out. Un-American style for once". Something so small like that is a direct example of American culture

• bkkbully
    Options
    Also another great example of American culture is The Southern culture of America. The South. That in itsself is it's own sub-culture of American culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_Southern_United_States
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you're a "Black American" and go to any Sub-Saharan country within the continent (specifically East or West Africa), the only feature or characteristic that would differ between you and the natives is your accent (how you speak) and (slave) name .. .

I urge anyone interested to read the (auto)biography of Stokley Carmichael one of the founders of the Black Panthers, who moved over to Africa and changed his name to Kwame Toure .. That book was a massive inspiration to me
  • zombie
    edited November 2013
    Options
    @BKKBULLY maybe your do not understand what i am trying to tell you those cultural things that you think are american are really not native to america.
  • zombie
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Also another great example of American culture is The Southern culture of America. The South. That in itsself is it's own sub-culture of American culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_Southern_United_States

the culture of the south was made by people from europe that's what the wiki says america is part of the continuum of western european culture and has none of it's own. you keep posting wiki's but they do not support you. american culture if you want to call it that is nothing more than rip offs of other peoples ?
  • zombie
    Options
    patriotism is a pernicious pernicious psychopathic form of idiocy- bernard shaw
    and black people in america sure do love to be showing patriotism.
  • zombie
    Options
    So right now as I'm overseas and people from outside of America talk to me about 'American Culture' which obviously exists, I should tell them that this 'culture' they speak of doesn't exist? You need to educate yourself. There is an American culture whether you'd like to acknowledge it or not. You can't possibly be that ignorant

it's not my fault you associate with unlearned people on an international scale.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doesn't matter, I use black when speaking about me or our people
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whenever I write a soc paper on race I refer to black Americans as afro-americans. Makes more sense.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »
    Whenever I write a soc paper on race I refer to black Americans as afro-americans. Makes more sense.

Why does that make more sense to you?...And do black Canadians call themselves Afro-Canadian...?
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What country is called afro?
  • zombie
    Options
    huey wrote: »
    What country is called afro?

none. but the "afro" is meant to denotate an ethnicity/racial group that has it's genesis in black africa the american part is supposed to tell you this person nationality. The term black or african american is a superior term because it encompasses more of a persons identity race, history, nationality, genetics, and so much more can be wrapped up in the term african-american.
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why do people keep saying "just call them Americans" when they know AA is just another name for black.

Whats next? Why we still got monkeys?
  • bkkbully
    Options
    Lol aiight bruh. Obviously your mind is set on this so its no point in any more back and forth. Enjoy the perks of being an American fam
  • zombie
    Options
    i am intelligent so i gives no ? about being an american nationalism is for sheep
  • bkkbully
    Options
    i am intelligent so i gives no ? about being an american nationalism is for sheep

cool bro
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Americans ancestors who were slaves are African-Americans.
    Blacks from every where else Caribbean, Europe, Africa, South America - who came through immigration are Black Americans.
    No where they mix and have kids then...? it who cares don't know