How much damage has the media done to the concept of beauty

Options
BigBallsNoWorries
BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
Backstory:

So there I was right, a young megatron don adonis, chillin in Communications class, and the topic of do you think that people should live with each other before getting married, and whoever was for it stood on the right side of the room and the ppl against stood on the left

well a majoritiy of ppl were on the right, which was expected though a few were on the left, and then the teacher asked why on both sides, so when it came to the right side I spoke up and spit that real, I said I need to live with a girl before getting married cause I want to know how she really looks without make up every morning

and a little over half of the class are all the girls and they were like wow, damn you shallow as ? , im like you weren't born with that on your face, I want to see the truth, show ya face ? !

and it had me thinking the media is responsible for this alot, showing women these magazines where there is pictures of alot of women with tons of make up on, and they think thats what beauty is about, when to me at least it just shows alot of insecurity and no faith in themselves

theres alot of unfaithful ? son

women, ? , feel free to comment

lets speak on it

Comments

• goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't need to live with her to find out what her face looks like first thing in the morning.. I know what you mean tho lol
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You really need to move in with a girl just to see what she looks like without make-up on?
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    We all different but I'd assume that wasn't the only reason to shack up before you clack up, but it's still a valid point.

I mean, I ain't buying a car with a car cover over it just cause I hear the engine rev up and you tell me it's a Porsche.

Other than that...the thought that many women feel the need (some rightfully so) to use makeup and feel good behind it (depending on it as a crutch) to feel sexy exposes the insecurities that come along with removing that crutch before they know they "have" the guy they want. It's a self imposed physical lie of perfection that only naturally beautiful (physically) women don't need to run with. Most ain't, so the ones in your class probably felt bad about it so they wanted you to feel bad about making them feel bad. Nothing new there.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Will Munny
    Options
    I'll never move in with a girl before I get married. I want my freedoms right up until the very last second before I say "I do"
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The whole concept of beauty ? .. is on both sides of the coin men and women have a skewed/biased/view of what beauty is.. its truely in the eye of the beholder.. Negros have learned to embrace the european standard of beauty on many levels in words.. but not in practice.. ole fat white whale wifin ass ? .. ol she got an ass though ass ? ..
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ts

Everything nowadays is made up to hide the reality : photoshop left, panties that hide the true form of ? and ? , magazines that retouch nearly perfect women and men.

hiding from the reality is like lying to yourselfand also a drugg. Its hard to get back to normalty.
    And guess what the bigger the lie the bigger the disapointement.

Im not anti make up though in special occasions but 20 hours /24 nope
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options
    Thats why i like @angryroscoe @haute and @khaleesi . That there true faces no camouflage
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah media and advertising has destroyed human self esteem. Now people are unhappy with everything: they too fat, too short, their hair is not luxurious enough, their skin is not clear enough, teeth aren't white enough, nose is too big, lips aren't big enough, eyes too wide, forehead too big, it just never ends.

It's primarily aimed at women but seriously who hasn't seen these "Just for men" and "Hair club for men" commercials? Who hasn't seen where some white ken doll ? is considered the world "sexiest"/"most beautiful" man?

It's gotten outrageous, advertising is the ? devil.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stop hiding.. stop hiding.. stop hiding your faaaaaaaace
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Yeah media and advertising has destroyed human self esteem. Now people are unhappy with everything: they too fat, too short, their hair is not luxurious enough, their skin is not clear enough, teeth aren't white enough, nose is too big, lips aren't big enough, eyes too wide, forehead too big, it just never ends.

It's primarily aimed at women but seriously who hasn't seen these "Just for men" and "Hair club for men" commercials? Who hasn't seen where some white ken doll ? is considered the world "sexiest"/"most beautiful" man?

And a bigg business

The moto : cut the leggs and sell some non lasting ones.
    They chose people that are unique metaboolysm wise, body wise and hammering us with that nights and days. The ignorant will gradually fall into the trapp and spend them dollars.
  • Will Munny
    Options

The amount of insecurity men have about their hair and ? size NH is rampant the way these ? companies be making money. Like there absolutely no logical way ? pills could make ur ? bigger, but dudes are so desperate they throw their money away on that ? and people are getting rich off it.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been like that way before the media.
  • DafuqYo
    DafuqYo Members Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Options
    So the media invented make up?
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DafuqYo wrote: »

Nope, Ancient Egyptians invented make up
  • jono
    Options

I don't think anyone said this
  • DafuqYo
    Options

He implied that women wear make up because of the media's influence did he not?

Women wear makeup because through out history men have found it attractive
  • jono
    Options

Do you deny the influence?
  • BrazilianHairMoney
    BrazilianHairMoney Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I use to be a activist to wake people out the coma, but now I only live to appease self... The misconceptions and judgments are not going anywhere, because it's amount of people that will never see true light. Eventho I'm not against wearing make up or even weaves, there is a true brainwashing amongst women that these things value the person the woman is. So therefore if you believe it or not, you will be still looked upon superficially no matter what your values are. The majority of the world have a feeling of feeling not good enough. & they do not want true healthy esteem they want to patch it up with material things and superficial images..

I know that men think all women who wear weaves or make up are superficial beings but it's not true, but just because you enjoy the art of design, you will be looked upon this way. Some women just like creativity and like the art of it... but majority of women are in superficial ? and value their self worth by it. Men can not tell the difference so we all will be treated as "superficial." You suppose to judge people by their character, but alot of people do not have the eyes to see "character"
  • DafuqYo
    Options

They influence what people like. If it doesn't sell them it doesn't get advertised (like clear Pepsi).
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we created the monster...
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »

The amount of insecurity men have about their hair and ? size NH is rampant the way these ? companies be making money. Like there absolutely no logical way ? pills could make ur ? bigger, but dudes are so desperate they throw their money away on that ? and people are getting rich off it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgI2dsJN-Ng
  • jono
    Options

They influence what people like. If it doesn't sell them it doesn't get advertised (like clear Pepsi).

People still bought clear Pepsi, it didn't sell enough to stay around but don't miss the point it sold because it was advertised but let's also not confuse the issue because Pepsi never implied that if you use that product you will be beautiful or more desirable.

• DafuqYo
    Options

People still bought clear Pepsi, it didn't sell enough to stay around but don't miss the point it sold because it was advertised but let's also not confuse the issue because Pepsi never implied that if you use that product you will be beautiful or more desirable.

Are you sure?