XBOX One Sales Figures

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in IllGaming
Xbox One Sells More Than 2 Million Units in the First 18 days; Sold Out at Most Major Retailers
By Xbox Wire Staff posted December 11, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Since its launch 18 days ago, Xbox One is proving to be the must-have gift this holiday season with more than 2 million consoles sold through to consumers worldwide, averaging over 111,111 units sold per day – a record-setting pace for Xbox. Millions of fans around the world who have purchased Xbox One have shown incredible engagement with the all-in-one games and entertainment system, spending over 83 million hours in games, TV, and apps on Xbox One since the system launched on Nov. 22.

“We continue to be humbled and overwhelmed by the positive response from our fans. We are thrilled to see sales of Xbox One on a record-setting pace, with over 2 million Xbox One consoles in homes around the world. Demand is exceeding supply in our 13 launch markets and Xbox One is sold out at most retailers. We’re also particularly excited to see consumers engaging in a wide range of games and entertainment experiences on the platform, with more than 1 million paid transactions* on Xbox Live to date,” said Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president of strategy and marketing, Xbox.

Xbox One is also proving to be the most popular online multiplayer community for gamers with over 39 million Xbox One achievements unlocked and 595 million total Gamerscore achieved.

“Demand for next generation gaming continues to be very strong,” said John Love, director of video games at Amazon. “At peak demand, customers were ordering the Xbox One console at over 1000 units per minute on Amazon.com.”

“The Xbox One entertainment system is one of our hottest selling products this holiday season,” said Bob Puzon, senior vice president of Merchandising at GameStop. “GameStop is experiencing high demand from our customers for this innovative console and we are working closely with Microsoft to receive more units to fulfill our customers’ holiday shopping lists.”

“Xbox One is one of the hottest Christmas gifts this holiday season and was a top seller this Black Friday,” said Chris Nagelson, vice president of entertainment for Walmart U.S. “We are refreshing our inventory as fast as we can to ensure customers can give and receive the new console for Christmas.”

Xbox One brings the best games, live TV, Skype, sports, fitness, movies, music and more to one system at the center of the living room, all available at the command of your voice. With 22 hotly anticipated games, including 10 exclusive titles, and entertainment apps, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, and many more – Xbox One fans have the best entertainment and games available on one console this holiday season.

So, the same amount as the PS4 in the same amount of time...except that the PS4 has been out longer, is available in 19 more countries, and is $100 cheaper.

Interesting.

Comments

• The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Way to completely misrepresent data and facts.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/11/whos-really-ahead-ps4-or-xbox-one
    What we’re comparing, then, is one global launch in 19 countries with a staggered launch in 32 countries (and it’s rumoured that the Xbox One launch in the remaining European countries may be pushed further back into 2014). It’s in no way a direct comparison. Looking at individual countries, the PS4 is ahead in the UK (where it became the country’s fastest-selling console ever, selling 250,000 to the Xbox One’s estimated 160,000), but the situation may well be more even in the US –one analyst claims that the PS4 might have sold 66% more during November than the Xbox One, which would put the gap in line with the UK, but based on the overall numbers (especially this new 2 million figure from Microsoft) I find that difficult to believe.

The facts say that the PS4 is unquestionably ahead at this moment – the question is how far ahead.

Interestingly, Microsoft's messaging around its launch figures is all about other numbers: 60 million zombies killed, 39 million achievements unlocked, 83 million hours played (or watched, or fiddled with). These numbers sound good and they're a nice way to contextualise a console launch, but they also perhaps draw attention from the number that will count to Microsoft's shareholders: units sold. It's significant that the PS4 has outperformed the Xbox One in the UK, previously the only European country that favoured the Xbox 360. If Sony turns out to have the upper hand in the US, too, Xbox's home turf, it will be a significant coup. One analyst, Colin Sebastian of Robert W. Baird & Co., expects that tomorrow's NPD November US sales data will show sales of 1.3-1.4 million versus 800-900,000 Xbox Ones.

The facts say that the PS4 is unquestionably ahead at this moment – the question is how far ahead. 2 million versus 2.1 million is barely a difference, but If the PS4 has continued to sell at roughly the same pace since last week’s announcement of 2.1 million, it could have sold another 750,000 by now, which would put it at 2.85 million. The waters are muddied by the console’s staggered launch; are US sales slowing down whilst UK and European sales are spiking thanks to the delayed release, or is the PS4 maintaining momentum in all territories in the run-up to Christmas?

Basically, in truth there isn't enough data to say how the sales compare yet, but the facts suggest that the PS4 is doing better.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fanboy semantics aside the fact that 2 platforms are both pushing these type of numbers out the gate is not only unprecedented but it's a great look for the future of the industry.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn these ? are selling like hot cakes
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope MS stops bull ? and really listens to the ? folks are complaining about .
  • focus
    Options
    It's just funny since so many, including a lot of people on this board, claimed this could never happen and that XBO was just doomed.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? that report

this will be the last generation of x box
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Interesting.

only to you and the 'Xbox wire staff' lol.
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know what's funny? Every time there's a news report about Sonys console someone from Microsoft comes out and says they sold the same amount but.... I never here from a source outside Microsoft that this is one of the most fast selling consoles. Microsoft is known for PR spins and bullshitting ppl.
  • focus
    Options
    I don't understand how Sony let it get this close? Between all the bad publicity XBO had leading up to launch and a $100 price advantage and having a headstart and being available in more countries, you'd think the PS4 would've been able to easily outsell it. Maybe its the lack of any games on PS4 and people seeing TitanFall that are driving XBO sales...
  • Broddie
    Options
    Or it could just be that Xbox has become as strong a brand as Playstation in light of this previous gen. Especially in the US.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I could give 2 ? about sales.. I got l mines. U got urs. All I know is titanfall is gonna set the world on fire.. and its exclusive. ? Now thats gone be the game changing ether
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand how Sony let it get this close? Between all the bad publicity XBO had leading up to launch and a $100 price advantage and having a headstart and being available in more countries, you'd think the PS4 would've been able to easily outsell it. Maybe its the lack of any games on PS4 and people seeing TitanFall that are driving XBO sales...

basically the reverse of what happened with PS3 and 360?
  • focus
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

basically the reverse of what happened with PS3 and 360?

I don't understand?

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    XBox has always been a strong brand in the U.S. Why are you acting like they've done something novel now? They have managed to bounce back from the bad publicity, but that should have been expected given how much money they've sunk into marketing. I think both the PS4 and the XB1 have sold well given the problems both have and the weak catalogs on both sides.

The one thing I am curious about is if a lot of their sales are coming from people buying the system more as a media box than a gaming system. That could be bad for M$ in the long run because the company makes its money off of the software. If a lot of the people are buying it without plans to buy many games, it could cost in the long run.
  • Broddie
    Options
    The people who buy one right now are gamers not casuals. They're going to buy games. I doubt they're buying it only for the media options.
  • focus
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Or it could just be that Xbox has become as strong a brand as Playstation in light of this previous gen. Especially in the US.

Yea. Or people can see the innovation and true next gen features that come with the XBO and Kinect that don't necessarily translate as easily to the average consumer with the PS4 since Sony played it more safe by simply improving the graphics and not really getting behind their camera.
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's be real here, they are both great consoles. I want both, but i am getting ps4 first and then xbox one in a year on sale.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People are really buying into this "4 the gamers" thing.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just wait till project spark drop tho...
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Yea. Or people can see the innovation and true next gen features that come with the XBO and Kinect that don't necessarily translate as easily to the average consumer with the PS4 since Sony played it more safe by simply improving the graphics and not really getting behind their camera.
    Or maybe Microsoft is lying like they've done before

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/surface-rt-lawsuit-class-action-shareholders-misleading,23875.html
    This evening iGR covered Best Buy‘s Ultimate Gamers Showdown, Madden 25 tournament. I had the opportunity to speak to Sony, Xbox, and more importantly, Best Buy PR while spectating the tourney. While company policy prohibits stating exact sales figures of any product, I was given a general statement as to which next-gen console is currently selling better at Best Buy. On-site members of Best Buy’s Senior PR team stated, “We’ve sold many more PS4s than Xbox One’s.” The staff also noted, “Both products are selling extremely well.” This being Best Buy’s flagship store in Richfield, MN, less than a mile from corporate headquarters; I take these numbers as a general trend of nationwide sales thus far.

That fact was driven home by the sheer amount of next-gen stock that Best Buy had on-hand. The retailer had nine PS4 units (two of which purchased moments later) and over thirty Xbox One consoles in-stock. Another surprising revelation was that the Madden 25 tournament was being played exclusively on PS4 hardware. And yes, before another “There’s PS4′s in-stock” article is printed; PS4s and Xbox One’s were both available at Best Buy.

The fact remains that both consoles have sold over two million units since they launched. But Best Buy was just one stop I made tonight. I also visited my local GameStop before heading home. The CSR working when I arrived pretty much mirrored the statements from Best Buy saying, “We don’t have any PS4′s for sale right now, but we have about 25 Xbox One’s.” The rep added, “I get calls everyday from customers looking for PS4′s.”

In the end both Sony and Microsoft have enjoyed stellar console launches. How things stack up long-term remains to be seen.

• BlackxChild
    Options
    NPD numbers just came out and mocrosoft is a bunch of liars and is in lawsuit for lying about numbers lol.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    Just wait till project spark drop tho...

Yeah, that's what people are waiting for to cop Xbox One...Project Spark. Not saying if it will be good or bad and it has the potential to be amazing, but this ? has NO buzz whatsoever; ? 's not even top 5 most anticipated, but you're talking like this is THE game to start moving units on Xbox One. It could pick up buzz but I'm speaking on it's status as of now. ? 's coming out on 360 too, so......