"Friday Night Tykes" Show About Youth Football in Texas

Options
atribecalledgabi
atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
edited January 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
Haven't seen a topic about it, but has anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFXpqZzFgy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipShq-hL8f0

What does the IC say about it, especially those with kids. Keep in mind these kids are under 10.

@MsSouthern

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Parents who pussed out in life and couldn't do it themselves so they put it on their kids.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Looks like a typical practice/ game to me

My son has been acting tackle football since age 6

The coaches are tough and loud and say some crazy things but my son has never wanted to quit cause of something said to him

In every league and even high school I have to sign a form saying I will behave and stay off the field at all practice and games ..... Parents can be ruthless lol

Only time it was hard yo not run put there was when my son was tackled/flipped during a game in 7 th grade .... He ended up just having the wind knocked out of him but no lie seeing him laying on the field and not getting up was one of the scariest times of my life.
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Friday Night ? >>>>>>>>
  • MsSouthern
    Options
    Why did you move this ?

Also have either of yall ever played sports ?
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seen the 1st episode the other night.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't allow my kid to play football at that young of an age, those kids go have their brains scrambled before they teens. That coach doing too much, all that make them bleed and not caring if his own player get up
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really want to see this. Forgot l about it.
  • MsSouthern
    Options
    So that's a no ?
  • atribecalledgabi
    edited January 2014
    Options
    i'm all for youth sports & teaching em not to be a ? ...i don't have any problems with the language & the yelling but i'm going to school to be an athletic trainer...i'm by no means an expert, but given what i know about head injuries & brain development..hell na.

i'd have to see an episode for myself but if they got em in full pads & helmets every practice & not stressing proper technique then that ? need to be shut down.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From those clips they getting taught to lead with the helmet. If NFL players having their career shortened because of head trauma these kids go be in worse shape
  • MsSouthern
    Options
    Of course safety is first

They play these kids hard but not past the point of danger ... At least in our experiences

The language is a lil overkill but even when I questioned it with my kid he never ever wanted me to approach the coaches.

Ever since he started in middle school there have been at least 2 trainers at all practices and games in case someone is injured.

I've always been a team mom too.... I'm pretty hands on with everything's kid does
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this is the opposite of that NFL safety commercial lol
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ill watch.. the cats are a lil to extreme in some cases you can foster toughness without some of the ? they are saying yelling and screaming doesnt make boys into men on any level
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the Broncos that ? crying and ? .
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    MsSouthern wrote: »

They play these kids hard but not past the point of danger ... At least in our experiences

The language is a lil overkill but even when I questioned it with my kid he never ever wanted me to approach the coaches.

Ever since he started in middle school there have been at least 2 trainers at all practices and games in case someone is injured.

I've always been a team mom too.... I'm pretty hands on with everything's kid does
    that's great.

not everybody has this luxury tho..that's my fear of youth football because you have the gung-? places like texas that have the support to get those kinda reinforcements. but then you have gung-? leagues in bumfuck nowhere with no trainers & coaches who aren't knowledgeable about injuries & just chalk it up to getting the bell rung & be like oh you'll be aiite. kids running around with 4-5 concussions by the time they hit middle school & ? .
  • MsSouthern
    Options

that's great.

not everybody has this luxury tho..that's my fear of youth football because you have the gung-? places like texas that have the support to get those kinda reinforcements. but then you have gung-? leagues in bumfuck nowhere with no trainers & coaches who aren't knowledgeable about injuries & just chalk it up to getting the bell rung & be like oh you'll be aiite. kids running around with 4-5 concussions by the time they hit middle school & ? .

You are right .... I specifically picked the schools I wanted my son to attend so he can be at a top level.

In youth leagues there is less professionalism and training.... It's usually dads who volunteer their time.

I learned that when he started playing in middle school and it's even better in high school

Our school bought these new special helmets to help prevent concussions and head injuries ... Also each player does a brain scan and testing to get a base on case of an injury.
  • Matt-
    Options
    it shouldn't even be that serious. its just football. and the whole excuse that its ok because its in texas is ? retarted and these kids and parents get taught that its ok to put them through this ? and to put a game on such a pedestal then when it doesn't work out for them they walking around without a life like tim riggins and boobie miles
  • Will Munny
    Options

Also have either of yall ever played sports ?

LMAO DID YOU?
  • Matt-
    Options
    mssouthern is a momager
  • MsSouthern
    Options
    Actually I did

Volleyball and Cheer
  • Will Munny
    Options
    LMAO DID YOU JUST CONSIDER CHEER A SPORT?
  • bignorm
    Options
    Playing football younger than 7th/8th grade is a waste of time
  • bignorm
    Options
    Its not worth the wear and tear on your body, and it all has to be retaught in high school anyway.
    As a coach, you'd rather a clean slate than un teaching bad habits.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    bignorm wrote: »
    Its not worth the wear and tear on your body, and it all has to be retaught in high school anyway.
    As a coach, you'd rather a clean slate than un teaching bad habits.

That's true. Football is all about raw athleticism. You either have it or you don't.
  • MsSouthern
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    LMAO DID YOU JUST CONSIDER CHEER A SPORT?

Just as much as you do wrestling ....