The CM Punk Situation: Was He Right to Walk Out on WWE?

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited February 2014 in Off The Turn Buckle

The CM Punk Situation: Was He Right to Walk Out on WWE? 28 votes

Yes
67%
Dupacsobek  Colin$mackabi$hherbalism101qtipp73VIBEiron man1TheEyeronic1its....JOHN BMister B.Mally_GTheBoyRoiChuy83Sour-CreamKing Lee genocidecutterMarkus GarveyOl' Fredonthafly 19 votes
No
7%
dneez0228DOPEdweebz 2 votes
Maybe So
25%
ocelotjonoillestni99ainneIdiopathic JokerTheRicanKingTonyDubbzKnowReasonForPeace 7 votes

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    If real, yes.
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    DB, Ziggler and Kofi should also walk, all of them take the 90 days and show up on TNA.......Vince would have an aneurysm

NWO.......The better sequel!!
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Punk is a smart dude. If this situation is actually real as it seems to be, Punk will be back for a match at WM with more perks/money to his contract along with being even more over with the fans then he was before.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe So
    Only thing stopping me from saying a definite yes is that people expected to see him for the next few weeks and he vamped on his fans.

Other than that I'm good with him walking away from ? creative decisions..assuming of course this is real.

I do believe that even if this is real they will talk him into doing WM. I just don't see him missing that event or wwe letting him miss that event.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I'm looking at this situation from the perspective that anyone who is a "contracted worker" has their own say-so on whether to work for a particular company or not based on their beliefs in that company.

If Punk believes that the company he currently works for is not doing right by him, he has the right to leave. Granted, in the real world, he has to give a 2-weeks notice, but it's still his right to leave and find employment elsewhere or sit at home.

I don't know about pro wrestling contracts, but I'm sure that there are clauses preventing "contracted workers" to leave whenever they feel the need to do so. If that's the case, which it probably is, I find it unlawful to hold an individual to the contract just because of the language put in it to prevent said "contracted worker" from leaving. It's like a legal hostage situation. But as the audio said, if he didn't like the situation, do the job until the contract expires, even if they make you look bad, and then leave.

If Punk did the latter, I'd do jobs, but I wouldn't tolerate the creative team putting me in dresses like WCW did Perry Saturn, and the WWF did Vito. I'd knock out the producer who came to me with that idea.

But as @Sobek said, he'll work something out to have more perks and etc upon a return, then he'll be ghost on some Y2J type schedule.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    If this is real, then Punk is in the right.

Anyone is in the right if they truly are being mistreated, held back, ignored etc...

Punk had a 434 day run. Now, it's not even that memorable, the booking and storylines were very mediocre for him. But he was ? over afterwards. Losing to Taker isn't even apart of this. It's all the ? he's gone through that he feels was wrong.

The company obviously caters to the Hollywood image and buddies of the bosses.

Punk sees the future of the company in that young and promising locker room, not in old heads who are part timers.

I'll bet Vince inflated Punks head w that ? and Punk thought he was gonna be big. He was shot down after all that.

Punk is already a highly opinionated individual, he's very vocal and it's seen as crybabyish.

Call it whatever, but is Punk right? Of course.

He's one of the very few who don't take the ? .

If this is all real, then bravo. Apparently, he is ignoring all calls from everyone. He isn't tweeting. He isn't ? with that WWE brand.

I think that's smart.

He's letting the crowd tell Vince what they want and Punk gets to say, " I told you so".

Punks playing a mind game.

"I don't need you, Vince, YOU need me"

Punk will be back and he will be a top heel who will face off w the top face, DB.

Of course, I think this is real but also being turned into a work. Punks smarter than to just walk out without knowing what will happen.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Punk, DB and AJ Styles need to get promoted to another independent wrestling federation and be broadcasted at the same time as Raw.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    No
    Punk, DB and AJ Styles need to get promoted to another independent wrestling federation and be broadcasted at the same time as Raw.
    I remembered when TNA had both Punk and Styles...
  • Mally_G
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Yes
    VIBE wrote: »
    If this is real, then Punk is in the right.

Anyone is in the right if they truly are being mistreated, held back, ignored etc...

Punk had a 434 day run. Now, it's not even that memorable, the booking and storylines were very mediocre for him. But he was ? over afterwards. Losing to Taker isn't even apart of this. It's all the ? he's gone through that he feels was wrong.

The company obviously caters to the Hollywood image and buddies of the bosses.

Punk sees the future of the company in that young and promising locker room, not in old heads who are part timers.

I'll bet Vince inflated Punks head w that ? and Punk thought he was gonna be big. He was shot down after all that.

Punk is already a highly opinionated individual, he's very vocal and it's seen as crybabyish.

Call it whatever, but is Punk right? Of course.

He's one of the very few who don't take the ? .

If this is all real, then bravo. Apparently, he is ignoring all calls from everyone. He isn't tweeting. He isn't ? with that WWE brand.

I think that's smart.

He's letting the crowd tell Vince what they want and Punk gets to say, " I told you so".

Punks playing a mind game.

"I don't need you, Vince, YOU need me"

Punk will be back and he will be a top heel who will face off w the top face, DB.

Of course, I think this is real but also being turned into a work. Punks smarter than to just walk out without knowing what will happen.

I agree with the first bolded because Vince and the WWE are sellers of dreams. When they're scouting you, of course they're going to pump that head up and make you believe you can carry the company for the next 5-10 years if you sign. They sold Christian a dream for his return from TNA, and look at where he's been since he's been back, the gutter. They told him he'll get a main event spot and more money upon a return, and it didn't happen. They sold him that to get him away from TNA. Once you believe the hype, and sign that contract, that smile on Vince's and the agent's faces turns into this.....

doink-the-clown-o.gif

....and you belong to them, and have to do whatever they say. If they tell you put this dress on, you put the dress on, if they tell you to cut your hair, you cut your hair, and etc. You have to make these "sacrifices" to be the star you dreamed of being.

The second bolded, I don't believe is true. The WWE is the stage everyone wants to be on. The issue is, that the machine that runs the stage is so convoluted, once you're in the machine you just become a replaceable cog. The fans may like you, but the machine can easily remove and replace you and it keeps running. Wrestlers need the WWE more than the WWE need wrestlers (doesn't make sense, but their current business model proves so). Wrestlers need THAT stage to feel validated and a sense of fulfillment. If the WWE took away that stage, where would the wrestlers go?

Everything real in this world, the WWE will turn it into a work. It's just the business they are involved in. Just like Punk's first pipebomb, which was a shoot, it got turned into a work, for the sake of business. The pipebomb became part of Punk's character, and the WWE benefited from his shared feelings with the rest of the IWC. Punk expressed what many (smarks)/fans from the internet have been saying for years, and the WWE turned it around, bent over what the IWC and Punk had been saying, and ? it dry. It's like, now that you got that off your chest, lets get back to WWE business, and you'll love it.

But he's valid in leaving because he's tired of his work environment. It's like he doesn't want to work for a company that clubs baby seals anymore. The problem is, he feels that he's the baby seal. ? that contract. A labor contract shouldn't hold an individual to continue to work under the conditions they deem unsuitable to them. But the WWE won't balk at getting at him legally because he draws money for them; but remember, he's a replaceable cog, and eventually, he'll be removed and forgotten about.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Ain't no different than an average joe quitting his job for whatever reason.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    No
    ? arent gonna stop watching WWE if Punk leaves WWE. In fact if Punk did go back to TNA, WWE fans would start tunrning on him and or treat him as irrevelant.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah that might actually help tna's credibility, until he leaves because of tna's ? booking
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    No
    nah that might actually help tna's credibility, until he leaves because of tna's ? booking
    Talent wont help tna. TNAs problem has never been talent. TNA has enough talent and variety and production. Its problem is just about everything else, even though Ive been enjoying it more than WWE for the last month or so.
  • Mally_G
    Options
    Yes
    GodGivBiz wrote: »
    ? arent gonna stop watching WWE if Punk leaves WWE. In fact if Punk did go back to TNA, WWE fans would start tunrning on him and or treat him as irrevelant.

The issue is that WWE fans won't follow Punk to TNA. Just like fans didn't follow Sting, Hall, Nash, Christian, Kurt Angle, Val Venis, Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, Sabu, Tommy Dreamer, Dudley's, Rob Van Dam, etc. The ratings NEVER improved when all these top brand names were in TNA. That says SOMETHING about TNA as a product. If these names were so big in the industry, how come the ratings for TNA didn't increase by at least a 1 point or a little more?

Punk going to TNA will do nothing for their product. In the eyes of today's wrestling fans, he'll just be gone from WWE, not knowing where he went, until his TNA deal is up, or they seduce him into coming back by offering a top spot, perks, and more money. In which, once he signs the deal, they renege, and he's stuck, sad, and mad once more.

? booking will be the reason why he won't go there in the first place. TNA can get whomever they want from the independent circuit or free agency, but it's what they do with them in the long run that'll be the problem. It's not even the current roster that's the problem, it's the creativity and the booking that's abysmal and will deter folks with personalities like Punk from signing.

Everyone knows TNA has NO CREDIBILITY. It's just a safe haven for in-between and independent wrestlers, until the WWE needs to fill a couple spots on NXT or the low card of the main roster.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe So
    GodGivBiz wrote: »

To be fair the WWE has always been the draw. Individual talents may be more or less in the area of star power but Vince has always made sure that the individual talent never outshines his brand. You don't want talents that have the ability to hurt business by leaving or walking out.

This means Vince sells tickets based of the strength of the product at the time, not off the strength of any individual talent. Of course the big outliers are Hogan, Austin and Rock, everybody else was replaceable for the most part.

I'm sure this is something he learned when he killed the territories, specifically the AWA in Minnesota where Hogan had become a hot commodity and he saw AWA die a slow and painful death once he removed Hogan from the picture.

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Maybe So
    I don't know. I kinda want to believe it's a work. I wouldn't put it past Vince to tell Punk to walk away as a desperation move in reaction to the rumble. We'll see.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    son a crybaby he getting paid go out do your job leave when your contract is up.

just as if u were the boss you would want your workers to do
  • King Lee
    King Lee Members, Writer Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Yes
    Yeah the product is terrible, feels like Punks 2011 rant didn't change much for long
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    son a crybaby he getting paid go out do your job leave when your contract is up.

just as if u were the boss you would want your workers to do

A man's integrity should be more important than a paycheque......
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe So
    I think dude is injured and is taking time off
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And this is why I think maybe they should've tried to keep WCW running.. Or maybe something needs to happen to make TNA stronger. It's to the point now where it's WWE or nothing. At least when WCW was popular you had stars from two companies and you knew who the stars were. I don't think guys like Samoa Joe or even Kurt Angle are touching WWE in terms of stardom and marketing or whatever. There's way too many guys in WWE to try and get over when half of those guys would be in the top
    Spot in another company.. Oh well I hope something happens and I'm pretty sure Punk will be back.... Oh yeah these old guys need to go!
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    No
    Theres about 2000 other wrestlers currently active who would love to be in Punks position right now. Work your current contract and then dont resign. At the end of the day it might get his stock n value up.
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't wait til Raw on March 3rd in Chicago...I'ma DVR that ?
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    This should be the start of heel punk again.