Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in IllGaming
Xbox One will soon be Twitchier than the PlayStation 4
LOS ANGELES February 25, 2014 (AP)
By DERRIK J. LANG AP Entertainment Writer

Associated Press

The popular video game broadcasting service Twitch is bringing a slew of fresh features to Microsoft's newest console. An update next month will add the ability to live stream video games, join in on games with broadcasters, initiate game broadcasts with voice commands, archive game clips and watch Twitch streams broadcast from any device, including the PS4.

Previously, Xbox One users could only spectate Twitch streams and record game clips with the system's Upload app.

"It's complete integration," said Emmett Shear, co-founder and CEO of Twitch. "It's exciting because we've never had the ability to broadcast from a console like this with such a deep level of integration. The concept of being able to join a broadcasters' party is really cool, and it's another step in the direction of interacting more closely with broadcasters. Over the last two years, we have seen the broadcasting and spectating of video games go from a niche activity to a pastime shared by millions. As the experience grows in popularity, it’s important to provide as broad a feature set as possible for the community. Microsoft has done just that by rolling out the most robust console integration of Twitch to date and setting a new bar for others to strive for.”

The updated Twitch app will also include Twitch's chat features and the ability for users to broadcast from their living rooms with Xbox One's camera-based Kinect system. It's scheduled to launch alongside the March 11 debut of "Titanfall," the much-anticipated man-versus-machine shooter being released exclusively for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC.

It's good news for Xbox One players, but what took so long?

The update is coming months after Microsoft Corp. rival Sony Corp. included Twitch streaming capabilities when it launched its PlayStation 4 ahead of the Xbox One last November. However, the PS4 version of Twitch — which Shear noted was crafted by Sony, not Twitch — only permits PS4 users to spectate other PS4s and doesn't allow them to easily connect.

"That's a very certain type of experience," said Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft's vice president of marketing and strategy for Xbox. "For us, we thought that was too limiting for what our fans would want. Our fans really want the full next-gen service, so that's why we decided to take our time, do it right and have it come out in this fashion."

Twitch, which features one million live broadcasters and 45 million viewers a month, has become an ESPN for gamers. The service's live and recorded broadcasts include such content as comically narrated clips of games, matches from seasoned e-sports athletes, "speed runs" — clips of players plowing through games — and streams of everyday gamers playing online.

"This will open up the social aspect of Xbox One in a new way," Mehdi said. "The community of Twitch is huge, and this allows us to type into that, and frankly do something that's never been done before on consoles. You'll be able to broadcast to any device and consume anyone's broadcast from any device. It's a console experience unique to the Xbox One."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/twitch-live-game-broadcasting-coming-xbox-22660524

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZDWfax3u80

Comments

• focus
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I read that last week the top streamed channel on PS4's twitch was some guy who had his PlayStation Camera pointing at another TV playing Titanfall on XO. I guess that's one way to get Titanfall on the PS4.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think im selling KZS this week man so ill have all indie titles for my ? until Infamous
  • focus
    edited February 2014
    Options
    More details on some of the exclusive XBOX One features. I'm glad Microsoft took their time to deliver a really thought out, truly integrated version of Twitch for XBOX One instead of just rushing anything out to be first.
    Introducing a Truly Next-Gen Twitch Experience on Xbox One
    By Xbox Wire Staff posted February 25, 2014 at 6:00 AM

1. Only with Twitch on Xbox One can you broadcast and watch your favorite games live by simply saying “Xbox, Broadcast.” Once you’re done broadcasting, you can use Twitch to watch the games you love, chat with the players you follow, or even join a broadcaster’s game. Xbox One is the only next-gen console that allows you to archive your Twitch broadcasts and view live Twitch streams regardless of their original source.

2. Thanks to Kinect, Xbox One owners that have completed a one-time setup of their Twitch account can begin live streaming their game of choice simply by saying "Xbox, Broadcast" at any point during their time playing it. Kinect also allows you to easily include your picture-in-picture video feed and audio commentary along with the game broadcast, making it the perfect way to connect with your friends and followers. Xbox One's Twitch app is a great way to meet new friends, too, as you'll be able to view the gamer card of anyone streaming from Xbox One and begin following them.

3. Your Twitch activity will appear right in the friends app and activity feed of your followers, giving everyone a real-time update on what you're broadcasting or watching. You can even set up notifications for a heads-up when one of your favorites begins broadcasting. During the broadcast, broadcasters and viewers will be able to interact (viewers can post comments in the chat stream, while the broadcaster verbally responds or assigns a moderator to keep chat running smoothly while they're busy playing). Xbox One is the only next-gen console offering a complete Twitch chat experience, offering 10 lines in the chat stream and allowing viewers to choose their name color and post emoticons. As an added bonus, broadcasters can invite friends into a private party from the chat stream, allowing them to voice chat outside of the broadcast.

4. On Xbox One, you'll have access to the all of the live broadcasts, as well as exclusive content. Unlike other Twitch console experiences, you can also broadcast a full-screen view of the game you're playing or use an on-screen viewer indicator to keep an eye on how popular your live broadcast is. You can even earn Media Achievements just by spectating as you normally would or, we hope, by checking out any of the Xbox One games you haven't seen before.

5. The best part of the first truly next-gen Twitch experience coming to Xbox One is that it will be here in time for the release of "Titanfall" on March 11. It's fitting that the first truly next-gen multiplayer game will be making a Titan-sized splash on the first truly next-gen Twitch experience. The “Titanfall” beta peaked at No. 1 on Twitch across all platforms with more than 65,000 concurrent views.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-one-twitch-broadcasting
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I stopped getting on that lame twitch ? .... ? show me your ? or I'm out.
  • zoomzoomp5
    zoomzoomp5 Members Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This is the lamest ? i've ever heard of. I see none of you ? using this. It would be cool if i can drop into the broadcast and talk ? but i cant since MS will get at me. Still waiting on a next gen game that aint a FPS.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just another way for focus to communicate with his ? male facebook friends.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • John_Blazini
    Options
    Lmao *cam voice*I'm getting money ?
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want the ability to snap skype.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Karl.
    Options
    Look at all the Sony dicksuckers.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    Look at all the Sony dicksuckers.
    Xbox dicksuckers are cool with you though lol

@Blazini why don't you criticize this thread?

Streaming is a cool feature though Xbox fanboys will enjoy streaming Halo all night.
  • Karl.
    Options
    That sounds like a backhanded Cosign.
  • John_Blazini
    Options
    Why i dont think its a dumb features it was cool when Ps4 did and and Xbox couldn't
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The hate is so strong.. its only lame when ur system doesn't do it better.. smh yall ? need some ?
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    Why i dont think its a dumb features it was cool when Ps4 did and and Xbox couldn't
    It's cool when u want to checkout a game and see how it plays. I just don't think anyone cares. It's a cool feature good for xbox I stopped getting on it awhile back.
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    It's cool when u want to checkout a game and see how it plays. I just don't think anyone cares. It's a cool feature good for xbox I stopped getting on it awhile back.
  • focus
    Options
    "Better with Kinect".
  • zoomzoomp5
    zoomzoomp5 Members Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    Options

Thats an actual GOOD reason why I'd use it now. I can see myself browsing games live before buying them.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope. Waits for who wants that ? .
  • focus
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Xbox One offers higher quality Twitch broadcasting than PS4
    By James Orry (@VGJames) On 4th Mar, 2014 at 10:20am

twitch111.jpg

Major Nelson's Xbox One broadcast of PvZ Garden Warfare displayed stream specifications of 1280x720 30 fps, at approximately 2.5 Mbps. This compares very favourably to the PS4's broadcast stream of 960x540 30 fps, at approximately 1.7 Mbps.

Beyond the resolution increase Xbox One Twitch also features broadcast archives, among other features, PS4 users are without.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_offers_higher_quality_twitch_broadcasting_than_ps4.html
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    Definitely looks better than the ps4 version from that screenshot.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah it really does. Dont understand why they had to Photoshop a conversation from a completely different game though.