Spike Lee goes in about Gentrification in Brooklyn drops Real ish...Long Read

Options
12346»

Comments

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Needs to be a study between the connection of Gentrification and White Flight... I know that there have been instances that showed whenever Educated Black Families (in which the Parents are Doctors, Lawyers, Executives) move to the burbs many white folks eventually leave the neighborhood and incorrectly sight ? reasons as to why they left (ie crime gone up, schools under performed) when crime actually went down and the schools still perform at high levels.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black people couldn't afford it and literally destroyed their neighborhoods in the city, now they get the boot by those who want to make it look nice and neat and enjoyable place for visitors from around the world can look at. You messed it up, so you lost. Better luck next time.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Needs to be a study between the connection of Gentrification and White Flight... I know that there have been instances that showed whenever Educated Black Families (in which the Parents are Doctors, Lawyers, Executives) move to the burbs many white folks eventually leave the neighborhood and incorrectly sight ? reasons as to why they left (ie crime gone up, schools under performed) when crime actually went down and the schools still perform at high levels.

well this could work in our favor. let them build it up an the better of blacks move in an let the white run away with there ? reasoning
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    nujerz84 wrote: »

well this could work in our favor. let them build it up an the better of blacks move in an let the white run away with there ? reasoning

We not supposed to talk about that part of it. Everyone is focused on the 'oh LAWD, what is we gon do' aspect of it.

I hate to be insensitive, and this situation is far from a black and white issue (metaphoric i mean, not racial), but the bigger issue is people livin in homes that they can barely afford.

If your taxes go up by $100/month and all of a sudden you ass out, thats a PROBLEM.

B/c if you ask me would i spend an extra 100-200/month in taxes in exchange for 200k in equity...I'm takin that.
  • theBlackbeard
    theBlackbeard Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I live in Chicago so.....yeah
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee killing it...as usual.
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    spike1n-2-web.jpg?w=635&h=463
    An angry vandal struck Spike Lee’s former Fort Greene home on Friday, three days after he caused controversy by saying his old neighborhood looked like the “m—–f—–g Westminster dog show.”

An at-large tagger hit the 165 Washington Park family home that Lee referenced during his tirade on the changing demographics of Brooklyn, neighbors said.

The anemic aerosol artist only wrote half of his famous film title “Do The Right Thing” on the side of the stoop.

“I think that Spike needs to stop mentioning the house in his comments,” Lee’s half-brother Arnold, who lives at the home, told the Daily News. “He can say whatever he wants, but don’t mention that.”

Meanwhile, a neighbor at 164 Washington Park bore the brunt of the angry vandal’s rage.

Dianne Mackenzie woke up to find her front door window broken and full film title scrawled on the front of her brownstone.

“I’m sure its directly connected with the remarks he made,” vandal victim Dionne Mackenzie said Friday. “I was p—–d as hell.”
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Folks always trying to silence truth and any person who speaks it. Bunch of fake maphukas. Keep spitting that knowledge Spike...that ? can be painted over...and what?
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike talking that real ?
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MzKB wrote: »
    spike1n-2-web.jpg?w=635&h=463
    An angry vandal struck Spike Lee’s former Fort Greene home on Friday, three days after he caused controversy by saying his old neighborhood looked like the “m—–f—–g Westminster dog show.”

An at-large tagger hit the 165 Washington Park family home that Lee referenced during his tirade on the changing demographics of Brooklyn, neighbors said.

The anemic aerosol artist only wrote half of his famous film title “Do The Right Thing” on the side of the stoop.

“I think that Spike needs to stop mentioning the house in his comments,” Lee’s half-brother Arnold, who lives at the home, told the Daily News. “He can say whatever he wants, but don’t mention that.”

Meanwhile, a neighbor at 164 Washington Park bore the brunt of the angry vandal’s rage.

Dianne Mackenzie woke up to find her front door window broken and full film title scrawled on the front of her brownstone.

“I’m sure its directly connected with the remarks he made,” vandal victim Dionne Mackenzie said Friday. “I was p—–d as hell.”

Ironic that this vandalism was probably done by the same "hipsters" who were supposed to be making the community a better place.