Does Jay Z Have A "One Hot Album Every 10 Year Average"?

Options

Comments

• The Nuisance
    The Nuisance Members Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    Options
    American Gangster is a slept on underrated classic. Seems like when he's lyrically in-depth ala RD & AG he gets discredited
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Yea that ? stannin for Jay reaches new heights yet again. Em and Wayne arent 90s rappers? But I bet you think X and Pun are 90s rappers lol All them ? were puttin in work in the mid 90s before they blew up in the late 90s
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No but neither did Nas.
  • mrclassick
    mrclassick Members Posts: 86
    Options
    Good thing I know music, That way I could listen to it myself, And then I can make my own mind up on whether or not an album is hot to me, I don't need anybody else to tell me whats hot, Carry On"
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, it's hov so you know the grading scale is higher
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All his albums were #1 and his lady album broke the Damn internet.

Every album ppl are repeating ? he said in some song.

Also AG, MCHG and WTT were all hot. AG being the best.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HE'S GETTING THERE...I HAVEN'T LIKED AN ALBUM SINCE AMERICAN GANGSTER IN '07
    BEFORE THAT WAS THE BLUEPRINT IN 2001 (I DIDN'T CARE FOR THE WACK ALBUM)
  • TrillRussell
    TrillRussell Members Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What He got...like 12 Solo releases?You can only consider like 3 or 4 of them classic..So that's 8 albums of hit or miss music...So Idk about the 1 hot album every 10 year average thing..but Jayz discography aint as great as people make it out to be..that's for sure
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ok i cant...i just cant...the ? said u can ONLY consider like 3 or 4 of them classics like thats a bad thing lmao like ? phuckas is dropping classics every other week. smh
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What He got...like 12 Solo releases?You can only consider like 3 or 4 of them classic..So that's 8 albums of hit or miss music...So Idk about the 1 hot album every 10 year average thing..but Jayz discography aint as great as people make it out to be..that's for sure

since when did jayz get 3 or 4 classics? i count 2

• THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    since when did jayz get 3 or 4 classics? i count 2

C/S...THERE'S REASONABLE DOUBT & THE BLUEPRINT
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    What's your definition of hot. Hot by backpackers standard nope, hot by relevance standard then yeah. He's been more successful the last 10years than he was when he was praised underground wise. He is the only rapper from the 90s that's relevant and no I dont consider Em nor Wayne 90s

they both dropped multiple albums in the 90's...explain your logic sir?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    What's your definition of hot. Hot by backpackers standard nope, hot by relevance standard then yeah. He's been more successful the last 10years than he was when he was praised underground wise. He is the only rapper from the 90s that's relevant and no I dont consider Em nor Wayne 90s

they both dropped multiple albums in the 90's...explain your logic sir?
    Both debut in 1999, how is that multiple albums.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kingdom Come and BP3 were trash. The rest of his albums are decent. Only 2-3 deserve to be called a classic.
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ok i cant...i just cant...the ? said u can ONLY consider like 3 or 4 of them classics like thats a bad thing lmao like ? phuckas is dropping classics every other week. smh
    Lol.. ? expect 12 classic.. Crazy as that sounds, that's alot of the ? on here expectations..
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol.. ? expect 12 classic.. Crazy as that sounds, that's alot of the ? on here expectations..

It's probably because nigguhs expect Jay to have this illustrious catalog given his longevity and success in the game. Truth is, his catalog is average. Most of his albums don't stay in my rotation more than a week or two. There are some exceptions (RD, BP1, BA, AG).
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall fella's keep counting albums. Suns style is Whack.
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »

It's probably because nigguhs expect Jay to have this illustrious catalog given his longevity and success in the game. Truth is, his catalog is average. Most of his albums don't stay in my rotation more than a week or two. There are some exceptions (RD, BP1, BA, AG).
    That's u... I normally listen to an album for about a month or 2 then give it a rest.. Come back to it a while back and give it a run again...what's wrong with that?? That includes "classics".. It's rare that I just rock an album none stop for months.. It has to be something else that reminds me of the time when that album came out.. I find what I love /like about the album and that's what I listen to.. U really expecting every album to not have some songs u don't ? with EVERY time out???
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »

Lmao what??? His catalog is average??? So it's just an average thing for rappers to be in the 3 classic range.... If that's average I would hate to see where you place ppls catalog who have "only" dropped a classic or two smh....boy oh boy
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah bruh, the word "hot" pretty much describes Jay Zs marketing strategy for every album and the media frenzy they always creates
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay been active for 18 years. I'll be be conservative on the hot albums, and name the ones that most think were pretty good at least. I would put 2 more in there if it were up to me, but i'll be objective.

(96 - 06) RD, Vol. 1, BP, BA,(06 - Present) AG, WTT

(96 - 06) 4 (06 - Present) 2

2 Ten year periods to speak of.

4 + 2 = 6

6/2

3 Hot albums per ten year average.

The answer is No.

Gentlemen, I present to you. Math. Carry on
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Would he have dropped AG if the movie wasn't made
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He don't care about making good music anymore he happy being beyonce husband and kanye hypeman
  • TrillRussell
    TrillRussell Members Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options

Just like Nas got 3 classics..But the average knock against his legacy is how inconsistent his discography is..Right?..but oh when it's Jay that logic is off limits and inaccurate ?