Is Triple H an all time great in your eyes?

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
I've always liked HHH even through the hate he always got by the smarks. However when I watched him over the years I never felt that I was watching an all time great. He's not a transcending star like Bruno Samartino, Andre The Giant, Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock. As far as 2nd tier stars he's not Bob Backlund, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ultimate Warrior, Jake Roberts, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, or ? Foley. IMO they are force feeding that diatribe.

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    See when he was Hunter Hearst Helmsley I couldn't ? stand the guy. He was just a WCW reject that carried Shawn Michaels' bag. He was a tolerable sidekick (key word) in DX. He proved to be a great heel post-original DX. He was called HHH by then and adopted that Game gimmick. He was the Luthor to Austin and The Rock as well as Undertaker and Foley's "supermen" but like Cornette said he's the guy who works with the guy who draws money.

Due to that latter work he made it to my all time top 25 cause the work is undeniable; still he is number 25 & never higher and sometimes I think even I rank him too high. I always give him points for bagging Vince's daughter. That ? was the greatest chess move in pro wrestling history but at the end of the day that will be his real legacy. Everything he got is cause Steph loved that ? . He hit the lotto. I think if that wouldn't have happened he would've been just another nostalgia pop tbh.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh. He not on the level he thinks hes on but an argument can be made for him as an all time great I suppose. He was one of the top names in the business for over 10 years, outlasting everybody else except maybe 3-4 guys from his era and he does have some great matches and memorable moments, he also is/was a really great heel.

However HHH, like Kevin Nash, got everything he has due to his associations and not necessarily his talent. First it was the Kliq, then it was Stephanie, it just never seemed to be HHH standing on his own and being in a position because he deserves to be there. He has the talent to maintain the position and to make you believe he would have gotten there anyway but it's tainted...probably permanently tainted by him marrying into the McMahon family.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he might be an all time good, but they are forcing his greatness and have been for the longest, he was nice in the heel role and solid in ring, but like others have said, its who he's working with that really makes him look good
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he will never be as loved and revered as the rock, austin, hbk, hogan, taker, jericho, foley, etc. but i respect dude. i think he gets an unfair rep sometimes for marrying steph. fact is that dude is a damn good wrestler and brawler. he has great matches. one of the best heels we ever seen honestly. he's as "accomplished" and technically sound if not more than the wrestling fanbase's favorites but they never got behind him like that. i think it irks him. their favorite wrestlers careers probably arent the same without feuding with a heel like hhh

rock left for hollywood, austin quit in 2002 because he didnt want to lose to lesnar. the biggest stars were gone and hhh was one of the vets that held the company down until new stars broke through. yet he gets treated like he was the only top star that buried wrestlers, refused to put certain wrestlers over, and used his power to his advantage
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I think he was a pretty good villain during the attitude era but at the end of the day as everyone else has alluded to, he's just a really good back stage politician and the only reason he outlasted anyone from his era is because he has creative control now and can force his way onto your TV screen. Guys like CM Punk had to get in through pure talent and triple h even said himself that he didn't think John Cena would ever be anything in the WWE. That just goes to show you that he's not even fit for the backstage talent relations job he has right now.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    He might be in the 20-30 range

Bruno
    Hulk
    Savage
    Austin
    Rock
    Bret
    Taker
    Hbk
    Y2J
    Kurt
    Benoit
    Flair
    Sting
    Eddie
    Booker
    etc

? the list goes on
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    hell no .. lets be real if shawn never got injured he would never got as big as he did. or if he didn't ? with steph. he a good wrestler top 50 maybe but not an all time great.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    hell no .. lets be real if shawn never got injured he would never got as big as he did. or if he didn't ? with steph. he a good wrestler top 50 maybe but not an all time great.

This.

After Wrestlemania 14, Steve Austin and Rock were running WWE. Hell, if Owen would have been alive, he would have been a bigger star. HHH was a great heel, but that's it. If HBK would never been injured, HHH and his role would have diminished greatly.

Vince put him on
    Shawn made him hot
    Now he running around like he some big shot
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i will give him credit for nxt, and he actually did put a few guys over in some ways
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 20-15 for me
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no doubt that he is a great worker, but that's about it when it comes to all time greats.....
  • Markus Garvey
    Markus Garvey Members Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Options
    As the main draw no. As the villain he is one of the best with Roddy Piper.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not top 5 or even top 10 but hes definitely a legend in my eyes
  • RobCoLife
    RobCoLife Members Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great with an asterisk.....
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While it is true he only got his big pushes because he was able to wife Steph, you still can't deny him his right to be a top superstar.

Dude had ? on lock and in a bad ass, ? you kind of way. ? was never corny. His matches were awesome. His gimmick is ? top 5. His theme song, "My Time", is top 5. His title reigns were memorable. He made the EC.

Yeah, he buried talent. Yeah, he rode the wave. But who the ? wouldn't? You can't tell me no one else would've done that.

There's a ? load of "he wouldn't be where he's at today if..."

Same can be said for Stone Cold. If he didn't drop that 3:16 ? , he wouldn't be as big. If his wife wouldn't have said "stone cold", he would've never been Stone Cold.

Dude is definitely a top superstar, an all time great, no doubt. He was able to take hold and properly do it, without ? it up.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    H was awesome from 1997-2001 for sure. I think he earned being champion an main event during that time.

It's from 2002-present that I take umbrage with. Especially 2002-2006 when there was at least half a dozen times he should have been pulled from the top: he was outta shape, injury prone, having some of the worst matches of his career, and just general blowing hot air every week. The only bright spot was Evolution.

I won't say he didnt have some decent runs in there somewhere like his late 2005 run vs Flair was good, his 2008-2009 matches with Jeff Hardy but nowhere near what he was doing prior.

He should have retired or at least moved into part time work after the second quad tear in 2007 to be honest.
  • Trollio
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    While it is true he only got his big pushes because he was able to wife Steph, you still can't deny him his right to be a top superstar.

Dude had ? on lock and in a bad ass, ? you kind of way. ? was never corny. His matches were awesome. His gimmick is ? top 5. His theme song, "My Time", is top 5. His title reigns were memorable. He made the EC.

Yeah, he buried talent. Yeah, he rode the wave. But who the ? wouldn't? You can't tell me no one else would've done that.

Same can be said for Stone Cold. If he didn't drop that 3:16 ? , he wouldn't be as big. If his wife wouldn't have said "stone cold", he would've never been Stone Cold.

Dude is definitely a top superstar, an all time great, no doubt. He was able to take hold and properly do it, without ? it up.
    you luv that ? huh
  • VIBE
    Options
    DUB wrote: »
    VIBE wrote: »

you luv that ? huh

2qs9i15.jpg
  • Markus Garvey
    Markus Garvey Members Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I will respect HHH much more if he jobs to Bryan. HHH will always be known for burying talent, but I will look past that if he jobs to Bryan. He jobbed to Shelton Benjamin because he saw potential in him. He just lacked the mic skills. HHH also jobbed to Jeff Hardy who in my opinion did not deserve the push, but he was a fan favorite and drew. For me this is the turning point. He is old and can only wrestle part time. How the matches in Mania 30 get booked will determine whether HHH will be remembered as a former wrestler with an ego burying talent or a smart corporate suit and legend who knows "what is best for business".
  • VIBE
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    Lol @ "top 5 intro song... All time great."

Every aspect plays into a character.
  • Trollio
    Options
    vibe is a triple h groupie. he go die about hunter
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭