When did Hip Hop lose its direction?: A Social Lounge discussion/debate

Options
twatgetta
twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in The Social Lounge
Some people say Hip Hop broke the rules, but never had rules, which is a lie. Hip Hop ALWAYS had rules. If not, how would we identify the citizens of our culture? for example, Kangol hats and Warm ups suits denoted YOU were a part of the Hip Hop culutre. it spoke to the type of crowd you hung around, etc...Also, Hip Hop had character rules too...Male and Female. both carried themselves in unique ways but with Hip Hop swagger and code of conduct.

Which brings me to the issue I have with all the DL rappers in the game. ? hella disturbing to me, a avid Hip Hop listener for decades. but now, I'm questioning my allegiance to this culture that has devolved into blantant homosexuality in front and behind the scenes of Hip Hop. It's disgusting. And TBT, somma of YOURs and mine favorite rappers are straight up sissified punks...and just one problem that deterred HipHop's direction...

I grew up on X-Clan, P.E. , Ice T and etc...and I cannot BELIEVE how far this culture has fallen and devolved instead of evolve.

So I have to ask you people as Hip Hop fans, When did Hip Hop lose it's direction? And how can we get back to some sense of Respect and Morality for ourselves?
...The World is watchin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbPEhuvSw8I

Comments

• cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options

"I'm convinced now that more than the truth is at stake
    Where people create language that pretends to communicate.
    Euphemisms are misunderstood as mistakes
    But it's a by-product of the ghetto music we make.
    From an extroverted point of view, I think it's too late.
    Hip-hop has never been the same since '88,
    Since it became a lucrative profession, there's a misconception that a movement in any direction is progression.
    Even though the potency of it lessens,
    Big money industries writing checks to suppress the question, and nobody gives a ? no more.
    No one goes to the book store
    Ever since the confluence of Moore's Law."
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hip-Hop is definitely not in its glory days but they are some great music and art coming out. I think the main problem is the lack of passion and lack of deep songs coming out from most of the mainstream artists these days. In the 90s, artists like 2pac (my fave rapper ever) and Queen Latifah spoke out against apartheid, injustices around the world and ways to improve our communities. Now its all about consumerism, how much money you got and how many ? can be ? and how good a chick's head game is. I can rock with songs like that but it's really disappointing that this is the main things artists talk about now, and why I find myself listening to a lot of old stuff compared to new ? . Best thing to do is support the artists you like and hope they keep making good music
  • kingblaze84
    edited March 2014
    Options
    As far as the ? ? , it was inevitable. Society is much more accepting of ? now and hip-hop is more or less a reflection of society, so it's only a matter of time before a transexual rapper comes out and goes double platinum. Nothing can be done about this......
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We had to change our tone to progress . You can't diss white people on the own ? and expect to progress
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip hop truly died when Sister Soulja embarassed Bill Clinton and all those intellectuals while discussing our problems in America. If the world leader couldn't compete intelligently to the supposed lowest people then how can they stop a intellectual and African eembrace of cultural change. And hip hop was starting to pierce through white youth. Now it became a fad
  • twatgetta
    Options
    As far as the ? ? , it was inevitable. Society is much more accepting of ? now and hip-hop is more or less a reflection of society, so it's only a matter of time before a transexual rapper comes out and goes double platinum. Nothing can be done about this......

Then you would have to question those that spent the money to make this transeuxal rapper platinum. I wouldn't support that ? .

what can a ? tell me? or any real ? out here? if it's that many Hip Hop ? fans out there, there's a problem
  • twatgetta
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    We had to change our tone to progress . You can't diss white people on the own ? and expect to progress

Hip Hop was never white people ? to begin with tho'. It's always been a Black culture. but not a Homosexual culture. that's some NEW ? white folks brought to the table in support of and stupid nigs like Lil B fell in line like the ? they are.
  • YC11
    YC11 Members Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hiphop became pop, I would say it widespread in terms of breaking genres and rappers aren't really rappers anymore either. It's all just mixing up with other genres I would say.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »

Hip Hop was never white people ? to begin with tho'. It's always been a Black culture. but not a Homosexual culture. that's some NEW ? white folks brought to the table in support of and stupid nigs like Lil B fell in line like the ? they are.

Hip Hop roots come from the grirots who rhymed while they told stories over a beat. They bore the ancient history and culture and sciences/philosophies
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lol I didn't read I just really assume. .anyway yea I don't like this ? ?
  • kingblaze84
    Options

Then you would have to question those that spent the money to make this transeuxal rapper platinum. I wouldn't support that ? .

what can a ? tell me? or any real ? out here? if it's that many Hip Hop ? fans out there, there's a problem

I hear you bro, I'm no fan of the ? movement LOL but look at Lil Wayne and Baby. Lil Wayne kissed Baby on the lips, wears skin tight leggings and has been caught on camera wearing pink and yellow tights. And he's one of the best selling rappers of this generation so yeah, there are a lot of hip hop ? fans out there. It creeps me out knowing this but the sooner we look reality in the face, the better. Nicki Minaj has concerts in which transexual homos walk the stage (according to my homegirl whose been to some of her shows) so it's only a matter of time bruh. It sickens me too but all we can do is not buy the music from the people that disgust us
  • kingblaze84
    Options

I agree overall but MC Lyte is bisexual, I think Queen Latifah is the same
  • twatgetta
    Options

and they both broke my heart when I found out becuz I wanted to ? Lyte since her first album...lol...screamin' cha' cha' cha....lol
  • kingblaze84
    Options

and they both broke my heart when I found out becuz I wanted to ? Lyte since her first album...lol...screamin' cha' cha' cha....lol

Mc Lyte??? LOL aight to each his own but I always thought she was kinda rough looking. I'd ? Rah Digga and even Nicki's clown ass....Lauryn Hill when her 9 kids aren't around
  • twatgetta
    Options
    Do Hip Hop fans even think Hip Hop has floated off course at all?

does this have to be in the reason to get some run?

• onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The problem is too many people idolize musicians and look to them to be role models. I could give a ? who' s ? and who's straight. As long as the lyrics aren't talkin about suckin a ? then a hot song is a hot song to me and these ? can live their life however they choose to live it.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Late 90s.... when it became all about money, cars, hoes, and studio gangstas.

• MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    When did Hip Hop lose its direction?

When rappers started to equate sells and money to success and the fans started to believe them.
    That thinking changed the course of Hip-Hop, by putting less worth on the product and the message, and more concern on a monetary value.

When people in the culture stopped looking at the art as priceless and started putting a value on what we created, Hip-Hop became disposable and less organic. Because now there's a formula in place to make money... You gotta do XY&Z to get airplay, or you gotta make all the clothing lines follow a certain fad...Hip-Hop used to be about individual expression, but now it's about a hustlas ability to stay in the pocket and just stand next to whatever is hot until it flames out, and then catch the next trend before your time is up.

soapbox.gif

As far as they ? ish, I think fatherless women are largely responsible.. If they came up around a MAN... they wouldn't condone that ? just because a muthafuka got money.
  • MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Do Hip Hop fans even think Hip Hop has floated off course at all?

1) I think it depends on the age group you ask.
    2) I think it did "float off course", but it's slowly coming back around from a music perspective. Seems like more new artist are creating their own sound (Cole, K.Dot, Danny Brown, TDE as a whole, and some others), but there's still a steady influx of artist that maintain the status quo. They'll weed themselves out tho.. 3-4 years and they'll be gone.
    (strictly on the basis of creative content^^^)
  • twatgetta
    Options