Black DC Student With 4.3 GPA Accepted Into 5 Ivy League Schools

Options
Trillfate
Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
WASHINGTON -

This is the college acceptance season -- frequently a nervous time for high school seniors. But D.C.'s Avery Coffey can relax. He applied to five Ivy League universities and all five accepted him.

Coffey attends Benjamin Banneker Academic High School, a D.C. public school with strict rules. None of the 439 students at Banneker is allowed to bring a cell phone into the building. They are also not allowed to go to their lockers during the school day. (That has spawned the peculiar tradition of piling up textbooks at the base of lockers, so kids can switch books between classes without violating the locker rule.)

The strict rules at Banneker have fostered a rather serious academic environment. Principal Anita Berger says year after year after year, 100 percent of Banneker graduates are accepted into post-secondary institutions.

Among these brainy and motivated public school students is 17-year-old Coffey who, like a lot of kids, enjoys sports. What does he play?

"Baseball, basketball, tennis, soccer," Coffey told us.

He also enjoys academics, and he has a 4.3 high school report card average, adjusted for the demanding International Baccalaureate courses he takes. Coffey scored very high on standardized tests also. He calls himself a "determined" student.

Coffey applied to five Ivy League universities, and, amazingly, has been accepted at all of them: Harvard, Princeton, Yale, the University of Pennsylvania, and Brown.

And four of the five universities have already offered very generous financial aid packages. (Harvard is still formulating its offer.)

Avery Coffey wants to major in finance. What's the perfect job?

"I guess probably the CEO of an investment (or management consulting) firm. I guess pretty much overseeing acquisitions or transactions between large companies. Hopefully, Fortune 500 companies," Coffey told us with a grin.

Coffey grew up in a single-parent household in D.C.'s Ward 8, the poorest part of the city. His mom works as a technician at Children's Hospital.

Avery's advice to younger kids?

"You can go anywhere you want to, pursue any career that you want to, and you shouldn't let anybody hinder you from trying to reach your goals,” he said.

Coffee hasn't yet made up his mind as to which college to attend. But he says he's leaning toward Penn or Harvard.

school.jpg?w=635&h=354

Comments

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    can this school be used as a model for other minority schools?
  • Trillfate
    Options
    I dont get not letting kids go to their lockers, but their way clearly works so..
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn this is awesome!
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thats great..

Those first few years are very important..
    Im talking about K-5

As far as being a model for minority schools.. i mean if the quality of teaching sucks and you dont have a dedicated student it cosmetic
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Dc, we in here!!
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can dig it. CPS needs this immediately
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That picture has meme written all over it.

But good ? homie. Don't chill bruh, keep on pushing...
  • Bazz-B
    Bazz-B Members Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    wish I was that smart and determined
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's quite exceptional, I never even heard of a 4.3...
  • Trillfate
    Options
    wish I was that smart and determined?

? .. im gonna apply to work for his investment firm!
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Getting into college is one thing, graduating and taking full advantage of the college experience is another. Too many people get hyped over being accepted.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    That's quite exceptional, I never even heard of a 4.3...

Some schools base AP classes on a 5.0 scale and IB courses on a 6.0 scale, so it inflates the GPA a bit. Impressive nonetheless though
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Congrats but this shouldn't be news
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    Applying to 5 Ivy league schools and getting accepted into 5 Ivy League schools is DEFINITELY something to be hyped about..........

I'm not a fan of all that, this college is better than that college kind of thing. That notion is a huge problem with education and corporate america that needs to be addressed and changed, but back on topic, it's the end result that matters. We essentially go to college to make ourselves more marketable to employers.

When he gets that associate job at a reputable company, I'll be happy for him. When he creates a successful startup, I'll be happy for him.

Getting accepted is only the first of many steps.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How do you get better than perfect?
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    Damn you're a buzz-? , I feel sorry for the celebration you show up to

Nah, just realistic. The world needs people like me to tell these young kids the truth, instead of buttering them up for not even finishing the race.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »
    How do you get better than perfect?

If you go to a good high school, they offer classes that boost your grade by a certain amount of points, due to increased difficulty.

Regents (I think that's what they called them), Honors, and AP classes (which are the equivalent to college level courses) all boost your grade by at least 5 points on your average.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • WhoisDonG???
    Options
    Wish I worked harder in school. Looking back I just did enough to get by smh.
  • WhoisDonG???
    Options
    IVY league degree get your foot in any door off top.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    WASHINGTON -

This is the college acceptance season -- frequently a nervous time for high school seniors. But D.C.'s Avery Coffey can relax. He applied to five Ivy League universities and all five accepted him.

Coffey attends Benjamin Banneker Academic High School, a D.C. public school with strict rules. None of the 439 students at Banneker is allowed to bring a cell phone into the building. They are also not allowed to go to their lockers during the school day. (That has spawned the peculiar tradition of piling up textbooks at the base of lockers, so kids can switch books between classes without violating the locker rule.)

The strict rules at Banneker have fostered a rather serious academic environment. Principal Anita Berger says year after year after year, 100 percent of Banneker graduates are accepted into post-secondary institutions.

Among these brainy and motivated public school students is 17-year-old Coffey who, like a lot of kids, enjoys sports. What does he play?

"Baseball, basketball, tennis, soccer," Coffey told us.

He also enjoys academics, and he has a 4.3 high school report card average, adjusted for the demanding International Baccalaureate courses he takes. Coffey scored very high on standardized tests also. He calls himself a "determined" student.

Coffey applied to five Ivy League universities, and, amazingly, has been accepted at all of them: Harvard, Princeton, Yale, the University of Pennsylvania, and Brown.

And four of the five universities have already offered very generous financial aid packages. (Harvard is still formulating its offer.)

Avery Coffey wants to major in finance. What's the perfect job?

"I guess probably the CEO of an investment (or management consulting) firm. I guess pretty much overseeing acquisitions or transactions between large companies. Hopefully, Fortune 500 companies," Coffey told us with a grin.

Coffey grew up in a single-parent household in D.C.'s Ward 8, the poorest part of the city. His mom works as a technician at Children's Hospital.

Avery's advice to younger kids?

"You can go anywhere you want to, pursue any career that you want to, and you shouldn't let anybody hinder you from trying to reach your goals,” he said.

Coffee hasn't yet made up his mind as to which college to attend. But he says he's leaning toward Penn or Harvard.

school.jpg?w=635&h=354

Clap for him. Good ? .
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry but this happens enough that it shouldnt exactly be news. You all dont see how sad it is that a black kid making it into the Ivy leagues is somehow cause for celebration?

I dunno. I just see it differently.