Black DC Student With 4.3 GPA Accepted Into 5 Ivy League Schools

Options

Comments

• 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Son looking across the street like i ain't even applying for Howard. I never knew Banneker was a high school of that caliber though.

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    u just arguing to argue. its silly as ? to argue against promoting this and similar stories on a regular basis.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    Some of y'all ? make no sense. Complain all day about negative and degrading images of black people especially black youth.Thread about a high school kid getting college scholarships "he ain't do ? special. What the ? he got to be proud about".

I'm saying....
    my point is that this should be celebrated in a non-condescending manner. stories like these should be dominant because they outnumber the bad. if ? don't get that, they lost.

Nah, if you dont understand how the utter shock for this story shines light on the low expectations WE have for ourselves, you're lost. But i will let yall have at it.

We have to start somewhere.

It'd be nice if stories like this were more prevalent but they aren't. But maybe if we give them more shine we'll get a few steps closer to making it so they are.

What's the downside?
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    It's only a win if whites don't get to him and gets ? on when he's in a position to fight the injustice of what white America is doing to blacks.

This is another problem too; the 'brain drain'.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Also don't make a big event if people don't know about getting above a 4.0 the private high school I went to it was normal for honors students to get above a 4.0. When I went switched to public school even honors classes stopped at 4.0 gpa. Not all schools have them. It's that simple
  • blackrain
    Options
    your reputation is everything.
    cats underestimate this ? .
    the higher up the chain i go, the more i see how the perception of blacks is being used to justify continued injustice.

That has diddly poo to do with this story. But to your other point about us 'needing to celebrate this to offset Chicago' (lls):

1) White people arent going to see this and say 'oh ? , let me change my view!'

But more importantly,

2) ? white people. I couldnt even imagine living my life on some 'we gots ta make deez white folk proud of us. Look at us ? we did it! We's readin!'

FOH

Its sad enough you morons are wondering how a 4.3 is possible. Lol smh

This ? is pathetic, the reaction that is. Bunch of nggas wide eyed n ? like its impossible for black kids to get into ivy league schools. And dont tell me u just happy for the lil ngga (I am!). Yall happy we got somethin to show ?

168u803.gif

Smh

This is a good look bruh

Against enormous odds a boy raised by a single mother in chicago has been accepted into 5 ivy league schools... 5 ivy league schools...an accomplishment most kids white, blk, asian could only dream of

And not only that, in the words of malcom x, the media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent appear guilty. They have the power to change, corrupt minds

This one story isnt going to necessarily change minds but with time more and more stories like these will do a lot to reverse the public perception that blks are lazy, violent, oversexed animals ...its simple as that

Why are u even in this thread anyways if you feel that this is essentially a non story...do your "? " shaming somewhere else

He's from DC
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sigh.
    how are other groups perceived? how does that effect their life chances?
    while folks attack conventional wisdom and miss out on important points, the world moves forward.
    ? really want to make arguments against good PR? ? really want to make arguments against improving the perception of blacks?
    u know why Asian aren't treated the same way that other minorities are treated by the CJ system? because they are perceived differently... not because they are "liked"...
    i dont understand how a black man can be against their own interests.

Break your damn question mark key bruh.

But my problem is not the story. The story itself is a local news story, which is fair game. I'd assume there's 100s of local news stories like this all over the country, many of which black.

My problem is with the reaction from US, on some 'damn, how he do that?!' Imagine if this was 'breaking news' on CNN, that a black child got a 4.3 and accepted to an Ivy league school. By your logic, Great! Good PR!...In actuality,thats patronizing af.

Perhaps the problem is yall really dont know how common gpa's above 4.0 are

Perhaps yall dont know how 'black' ivy league schools are becoming. A quick Google search will show that of the 2,029 students admitted to Harvard in 2013, 11.5% were black. Thats 233 kids. http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2013/03/college-admits-2029-5-8-percent-of-applicants/

This is not exactly a rare event. *shrug*. How bout we act like we been there b4.

Stop it

Not a lot of kids period have 5 ivy league schools competing for him or her to attend their institution

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    How can you say "we essentially go to college to make ourselves more marketable to employers" and in the same exact post say "I'm not a fan of all that, this college is better than that college kind of thing."

Obtaining X degree from an Ivy League school makes you fffffffaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr more marketable to employers than getting that same degree from not-Ivy League University or not-Harvard Community College.

Stop it.

I was referring to the skills learned and opportunity at hand. You can make ANY college work for you if you know what you're doing. College is an investment and should be treated as such.

While an Ivy League degree does look good on a resume, getting the job is a whole different animal, especially in this economy.

Getting a job is about NETWORKING with the right individuals and KNOWING the job. The Ivy League guy might get an interview, but if I know someone who works for the company I'm applying for and I know the job, I'll get the job over the Ivy League dude.

So there's more to it than, "my college is better than yours," thus why I said, it's about taking full advantage of the opportunity.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    IVY league degree get your foot in any door off top.

Do you know any recent grads with IVY leagues? Because I know a ton, and a lot of them struggled or are still struggling to find jobs. It's not the degree, it's about networking. Don't let these colleges fool you.

Also, IVY leagues aren't always the best colleges to go to depending on your major and of course your financial aid. Remember, college is an investment.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    Well the truth he needs to be told in this instance is getting accepted into an Ivy League school is a good accomplishment and will set him up to be better off than some others once he's done. The truth doesn't always have to be used to try to bring someone down

The truth is the truth, there's no other way to put it. I'm being realistic, not bringing someone down.

I'll congratulate him when he gets that job at a reputable firm or he starts his own successful business. We need to set the goal a lot higher than getting accepted into college.

Question: How many young people get into college and ? up?
    Answer: Too many.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    It's only a win if whites don't get to him and gets ? on when he's in a position to fight the injustice of what white America is doing to blacks.

Word, I wasn't even going to bring that up, but what you said is too true. A black person turned ? does nothing for the black community, so hopefully he has some understanding and knowledge of self.
  • blackrain
    Options
    Well the truth he needs to be told in this instance is getting accepted into an Ivy League school is a good accomplishment and will set him up to be better off than some others once he's done. The truth doesn't always have to be used to try to bring someone down

The truth is the truth, there's no other way to put it. I'm being realistic, not bringing someone down.

I'll congratulate him when he gets that job at a reputable firm or he starts his own successful business. We need to set the goal a lot higher than getting accepted into college.

Question: How many young people get into college and ? up?
    Answer: Too many.

Ain't nobody talking about having a parade but damn some of y'all act like telling him job well done so far is going to gas him up like he's a millionaire or make him think he's a graduate already. It's one thing not want to overhype but y'all in here trying to ? on him talking about its being realistic. That's just some negative ?
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    Bruh, an article might as well be a parade. If I saw dun in person, I would obviously congratulate him, but then I would explain to him that this is only the beginning.

Then I would give him the blueprint on how to move these next 4 years, and I would make sure he comes out with ample opportunity.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? in a bucket mentality. SMH
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    Came in to quote this

"Coffey attends Benjamin Banneker Academic High School, a D.C. public school with strict rules. None of the 439 students at Banneker is allowed to bring a cell phone into the building. They are also not allowed to go to their lockers during the school day. (That has spawned the peculiar tradition of piling up textbooks at the base of lockers, so kids can switch books between classes without violating the locker rule.)"

Let's play copy cat America.

can't copy that school..those students know what they sign up for when they apply to that school..even though its a public school you have to be accepted and maintain the gpa requirements
  • blackrain
    Options
    Bruh, an article might as well be a parade. If I saw dun in person, I would obviously congratulate him, but then I would explain to him that this is only the beginning.

Then I would give him the blueprint on how to move these next 4 years, and I would make sure he comes out with ample opportunity.

Nothing wrong with letting him know this is just a step in a longer process. To act as if acknowledging getting into 5 ivy league schools and offering him congrats for it is buttering him up for failure is false though. You can prepare him for the future grind and instill drive in him while still giving him props for what he's done so far. It's not impossible to do both
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    the higher up the chain i go, the more i see how the perception of blacks is being used to justify continued injustice.

That has diddly poo to do with this story. But to your other point about us 'needing to celebrate this to offset Chicago' (lls):

But more importantly,

2) ? white people. I couldnt even imagine living my life on some 'we gots ta make deez white folk proud of us. Look at us ? we did it! We's readin!'

FOH

This ? is pathetic, the reaction that is. Bunch of nggas wide eyed n ? like its impossible for black kids to get into ivy league schools. And dont tell me u just happy for the lil ngga (I am!). Yall happy we got somethin to show ?

168u803.gif

Smh

This is a good look bruh

Against enormous odds a boy raised by a single mother in chicago has been accepted into 5 ivy league schools... 5 ivy league schools...an accomplishment most kids white, blk, asian could only dream of

And not only that, in the words of malcom x, the media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent appear guilty. They have the power to change, corrupt minds

This one story isnt going to necessarily change minds but with time more and more stories like these will do a lot to reverse the public perception that blks are lazy, violent, oversexed animals ...its simple as that

Why are u even in this thread anyways if you feel that this is essentially a non story...do your "? " shaming somewhere else

@ bolded, sorry I dont subcribe to the logic that we as blacks need/deserve a handicap. It enrages me, honestly.

We need to be passed gettin compliments for overcomin obstacles. The obstcales are there. We are aware of them. We've been dealt a ? card. Now lets get over them with no excuses. There's plenty of us doing it. A least thats the rhetoric i'll pass down. *shrug*

At the end of the day there is no real way to get my point across w/out seeming to downplay the lil ngga. I understand that. I just feel true progress is when something doesnt stand out b/c we EXPECT it. I cant be the only one that cringes when i think of the implications of the title 'black kid has a 4.3'.

@desertrain10 @ThirdEyeFive‌

Just curious, what would your reaction be if a white person came up to you w/ this topic, and they were absolutely shocked and couldnt believe it.

• NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    Nothing wrong with letting him know this is just a step in a longer process. To act as if acknowledging getting into 5 ivy league schools and offering him congrats for it is buttering him up for failure is false though. You can prepare him for the future grind and instill drive in him while still giving him props for what he's done so far. It's not impossible to do both

Like I said earlier, IMO an article IS too much praise for something so little. We need to set a much higher benchmark for this kind of thing.

Do you write an article every time a kid gets straight A's? an A in class? How about an A on a paper? Where does it stop and where does it start?

I'm saying it should start when the individual gets a great job or is successful in creating a profitable start up. A lot of people in this thread seem to think it should start with a simple acceptance letter.

That's where we differ. The praise is okay, but don't send the wrong signals to the youth, so they think getting into college is the end all be all.
  • blackrain
    Options
    The story in DC news isn't being reported as "black kid" though. Just as a kid who got a great gpa and managed to do something most people don't. Get accepted into 5 ivy league schools
  • blackrain
    Options

Like I said earlier, IMO an article IS too much praise for something so little. We need to set a much higher benchmark for this kind of thing.

Do you write an article every time a kid gets straight A's? an A in class? How about an A on a paper? Where does it stop and where does it start?

I'm saying it should start when the individual gets a great job or is successful in creating a profitable start up. A lot of people in this thread seem to think it should start with a simple acceptance letter.

That's where we differ. The praise is okay, but don't send the wrong signals to the youth, so they think getting into college is the end all be all.

Any kid with the drive to do what he's already done has already clearly shown they're a lot less likely to think of simply being accepted as the end all be all. That's pretty obvious.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    Any kid with the drive to do what he's already done has already clearly shown they're a lot less likely to think of simply being accepted as the end all be all. That's pretty obvious.

Okay, but what about all the kids reading this article. What message does it send to them?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But more importantly,

FOH

168u803.gif

Smh

This is a good look bruh

@ bolded, sorry I dont subcribe to the logic that we as blacks need/deserve a handicap. It enrages me, honestly.

We need to be passed gettin compliments for overcomin obstacles. The obstcales are there. We are aware of them. We've been dealt a ? card. Now lets get over them with no excuses. There's plenty of us doing it. A least thats the rhetoric i'll pass down. *shrug*

At the end of the day there is no real way to get my point across w/out seeming to downplay the lil ngga. I understand that. I just feel true progress is when something doesnt stand out b/c we EXPECT it. I cant be the only one that cringes when i think of the implications of the title 'black kid has a 4.3'.

Just curious, what would your reaction be if a white person came up to you w/ this topic, and they were absolutely shocked and couldnt believe it.

You're adding the shock element to make a point.
    I say shock them until they expect this type of excellence from blacks...
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    u just arguing to argue. its silly as ? to argue against promoting this and similar stories on a regular basis.

You've been shedding too much light, Lu (Dumb it down!)
    You make'em wanna do right, Lu (Dumb it down!)
    They're gettin self-esteem, Lu (Dumb it down!)
    These girls are trying to be queens, Lu (Dumb it down!)
    They're trying to graduate from school, Lu (Dumb it down!)
    They're startin to think that smart is cool, Lu (Dumb it down!)
    They're trying to get up out the hood, Lu (Dumb it down!)
    I'll tell you what you should do (Dumb it down!)
  • blackrain
    Options

Okay, but what about all the kids reading this article. What message does it send to them?

He already covered that
    Avery's advice to younger kids?

"You can go anywhere you want to, pursue any career that you want to, and you shouldn't let anybody hinder you from trying to reach your goals,” he said.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [qoute="blackrain;6913163"]
    your repuintoation is everything.

But more importantly,

FOH

168u803.gif

Smh

This is a good look bruh

He's from DC[/quote]

Oh

But more importantly,

FOH

168u803.gif

Smh

This is a good look bruh

I'd smile, make mention of my own accomplishments and keep it moving lol