Sting officially signs to WWE

Options
nujerz84
nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2024976-report-sting-officially-signs-with-wwe
Report: Sting Officially Signs with WWE
By Sharon Glencross , Featured Columnist

Apr 10, 2013

After months of speculation and buzz, WCW legend Sting has officially signed with Vince McMahon and WWE, per a recent report.

In this week's (subscribers-only) Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer notes that the star is finally under contract, although what his exact role in the company will be going forward has yet to be determined:

Sting has signed his deal with WWE. Not sure of the details regarding what role he will play but he is scheduled to be on television at some point, but not right away...he deal described to me as being close for a while, but now it’s signed. Sting’s assumption was he would work with Undertaker, which many expected. With Undertaker losing, and his future being in question, that would be up in the air.

Of course, the recent launch of the WWE Network practically gives the performer a ready-made role.

Due to the new channel, wrestling legends are now in higher demand than ever.

Thanks to his importance in wrestling history, Sting can obviously be of great use to the fledgling network. He can participate in various WCW documentaries, round table interviews and other nostalgia-style programming.

Who knows? He could even be a cast member in the next season of Legends' House, as crazy as it sounds. (Ideally, he would also keep the face paint on throughout filming.)

No doubt the star will also end up in next year's Hall of Fame class, too. And could maybe serve as a goodwill ambassador for the product, like ? Foley and Hulk Hogan before him.

As for using him as a wrestler? That's a bit more tricky.

It's not just The Undertaker's shocking loss to Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania ? that presents a big problem. There's also Sting's physical condition to think about.

He is 54 years old, after all.

And he's been hindered by various shoulder problems and injuries in recent years. Towards the end of this TNA run you could really tell the physical wear and tear was catching up with him.

Some of his last matches were truly awful. Sadly, he's just not the performer that he used to be.

Even if WWE is willing to let him get in the ring and wrestle, would he be any good

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll believe it when I see him on TV.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    No need for him now. Undertaker streak is done and he might be retiring. But it is good that they can now release a DVD for him
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $$$$ for the WWE

They're gonna do a Sting DVD and it will be golden.

But, I think this is the Undertakers send off.

WM31, Sting vs Undertaker, in his last match.

Don't care to see it but it's $$$
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im happy fo' him but dam he shouldve signed from dis point
    43.jpg
  • jono
    Options
    I don't think he will wrestle if he does sign. I think he probably do some appearances, do the DVD, get put on some games as action figures.

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    im happy fo' him but dam he shouldve signed from dis point
    43.jpg

would be dope if he wore this type of face paint at least one more time in honor of Warrior and for fans that rocked with him since day1 not just from the Crow version till now
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    I don't think he will wrestle if he does sign. I think he probably do some appearances, do the DVD, get put on some games as action figures.

Def gonna snatch up the figure
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My absolute favorite wrestler as a kid

But he's too old to be wrestling now

He's still my dude though
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sting and ultimate warrior 1985
    sting-warrior.jpg
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He'll be made to look weak in some way or another. Vince ain't letting the last relic of WCW get away without a proper sonning
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No need for him now. Undertaker streak is done and he might be retiring. But it is good that they can now release a DVD for him

Someone said the reason why taker lost was that they knew they were gonna sign Sting and Taker did say candidly in a few interviews that he would love to have a match with Sting. And if you think about it, it kinda does setup perfectly for Wrestlemania 31, cause a few reasons....

1. Had Taker won, that match with Sting (possibly) would be more about the streak than the match between two icons.

2. Just like what I said with #1 if it was about the streak and Sting lost, fans would seriously riot, Sting is loved by everybody including folks who don't watch wrestling anymore.

3. Vince is not gonna ? on Sting. Vince has disrespected every wrestler that's had a run in other organizations, Sting is one of those wrestlers you can't do that to.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol...nobody's gonna riot. Half the WWE fans dont even know who Sting is.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vince will try to find a way to ? on sting..
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You'd think he'd have to work a couple of matches before facing Taker. I'd be curious to see how'd he hold up against the younger guys
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I might start watching this ? again if there is a Sting vs Taker match. Sting was my favorite as a kid and Taker was my favorite after WCW went down.
  • 1CK1S
    Options
    You'd think he'd have to work a couple of matches before facing Taker. I'd be curious to see how'd he hold up against the younger guys

They already said he was only gonna do one match.

vince will try to find a way to ? on sting..

Like I said earlier, Vince could try but the backlash will be enormous if he does go through with it.

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Sting hasn't signed anything yet
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    how big was colorful Sting? (i truly dont remember since i wasnt a WCW/NWA guy)

cause it seems like most folks overlook that part of his career now days like whenever Sting is brought up its always the dark Crow version
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jono
    Options
    I didn't watch WCW much at the time but I was well aware of who Sting, Flair and Vader were.

Looking back at "surfer" Sting he was getting HUGE pops. Dude was a good worker too, his ring work actually fell off as the crow Sting.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited April 2014
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 1CK1S
    Options
    how big was colorful Sting? (i truly dont remember since i wasnt a WCW/NWA guy)

cause it seems like most folks overlook that part of his career now days like whenever Sting is brought up its always the dark Crow version

bigger than the crow version.

Colorful Sting had some WARS.
    that is what cemented his legacy, not some angst ridden clone from a comic book who had zero wars.

But Crow Sting was more over with fans.