Detroit "Bad Boys" Pistons -- ESPN 30 for 30 official thread .... 4/17/14

Options

Comments

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    next time a black player in any sport gets called a thug his response should be..

"call me Bill Lambeer"
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Brandon Jennings, Josh Smith take notes
    lmao
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Kame wrote: »
    Crazy comparing how everyone hated the Bad Boys vs that 04 Pistons team which is pretty much universally respected (besides Laker fans)

? hated our 03 04 team too, League changed the rules to the ? handchecking fouls we have today because their defense was too good and people were complaining.

I still remember when they had that streak of like 19 games of holding teams under 70 points and Darko Milicic let some ? ? on the Nets score in garbage time to break the streak
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Good documentary that was a fun watch.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rose and webber still got beef
  • MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^Always wondered if that was still the case since the Fab 5 30 for 30
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

What did Rose say about CWebb bc I missed it

• DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    313 wayz wrote: »
    Copper wrote: »

What did Rose say about CWebb bc I missed it

I think he was referring to the Grantland "Bad Boys Remix" roundtable (Zeke, Rose, Doug Collins, and Simmons) that aired after the doc movie. Zeke said something about Bad Boys being a family and some ? , and Rose was saying subtle stuff that one would say to a teammate...and also Zeke referred to having your teammates back regardless if they were right or wrong (over the whole ? about Rodman talking about Bird and Zeke backing Rodman up)...Rose said something right after that ..it was a slick dig at CWebb for the Ed Martin stuff that happen @ Michigan.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm watching it now. ? is dope, they talking bout Chuck Dailey now. He was clean. Lol
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man the fights back in the day was on hockey status in the 80's. I remember Ralph Sampson dropping beads on Jerry Sichting. Everybody used to knuckle up back then, these cats now, naah
  • A$AP_A$TON
    Options
    That ? was so dope. So much ether and comedy thrown in there.

Mark Aguirre and Dantley beefing.
    The broadcaster clowning Mahorne, saying he's the avg size of a freeway overpass.
    Lol@ Zeke tryna tank the pre draft interview.

Def one of my fav 30 for 30's
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bill was his own dude respect was definitely comfortable in his own skin... those mahorn picks...woooo

Rodman gave no ? about his body

Its funny how ? looked older then ? was on the bench lookin like 40
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To be a flat footed non athletic white boy, Lambeer used to get a lot of rebounds and he had a nice outside jumper
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That was a stand up thing Aguirre did to say Rodman should be starting in his place. We all know AD would have not done that.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya that was some real ? Aguirre did .. you gotta be selfless but before that you have to be visionary to see how ? gels to even approach a move like that
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Saw the documentary last night. I know it's just edited footage, but damn if Bill Laimbeer wasn't a flopping ass player lol. I mean he played tough defense, but damn near all the footage they showed from that Portland series was him getting fouls by flopping like ? . And folks act like it's brand new lol
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Man the fights back in the day was on hockey status in the 80's. I remember Ralph Sampson dropping beads on Jerry Sichting. Everybody used to knuckle up back then, these cats now, naah

David Stern wasn't about having players, especially star players, fighting in the middle of games lol. Like plenty older players have said ? they would simply get a normal foul or small fine for players get hit with techs and 10k fines now. Players can't play the same as they did
  • A$AP_A$TON
    Options
    It was funny when they showed the most fined teams and Det was number one but the total was like 34k lol
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »
    It was funny when they showed the most fined teams and Det was number one but the total was like 34k lol

Now that fine would be well over 100k.
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great Doc, I knew it was going to be good because of the interesting personalities on that team.

As much as I'm a fan of mj I wouldn't have shook them ? hands either for pretty much ? on them in the media. Even though I know that wasn't the main reason, you can tell the Pistons felt some kind of way by being calling out on their integrity for the sport. The look on mj face when Isiah walked by was priceless.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Former Piston Adrian Dantley: Isiah Thomas is a ‘con man’

Former Detroit Pistons forward Adrian Dantley was traded from the Detroit Pistons to the Dallas Mavericks in 1989 — just before the team won back-to-back championships in 1989 and 1990. Any move the Pistons made that year will be viewed as genius in hindsight, but Dantley believes he was shipped out of town only because Isiah Thomas wanted him gone.

And yes, he holds a grudge. During a recent interview with Matt Dery on 105.1 FM in Detroit, Dantley ripped Thomas and said he refuses to watch ESPN’s new “30 for 30″ documentary on the Bad Boys, despite the fact that he was interviewed for it.

“I’m not gonna watch that; you think I’m gonna listen to Isiah talk?” Dantley said, via The Detroit News.

It’s clear that Dantley has a personal issue with Thomas, and he said it stems from his belief that the Pistons traded him midway through the 1989 season because Thomas wanted him gone.

“I’ll bet you one thing: If I was running around there kissing Isiah’s (expletive), I’d still be there,” Dantley continued.

With that in mind, we know to take anything Dantley says about Thomas with a grain of salt. Still, he had a pretty strong opinion when asked if he thinks Thomas would do well as the general manager of the Pistons.

“Con man,” Dantley said. “He has a way of tricking people, and he tricked a lot of people.”

Rumors surfaced last month that the Pistons may be interested in hiring Thomas as GM with current GM Joe Dumars’ contract set to expire. Considering Thomas made some of the worst decisions in Knicks’ franchise history when he was hired as president of basketball operations in 2003, the move would surprise a lot of people. If Thomas is as good a “con man” as Dantley says he is, I guess we shouldn’t be shocked.
  • Bcotton5
    Options