edited April 2014 in The Social Lounge

Comments

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ain't even have to watch to know it's all about Money .

"Break the Law, become a Slave ." basically
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Read the Michelle Alexander book on the subject
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, the prison–industrial complex is at work here. It's such a pervasive and dehumanizing construct. It's the underlying reason our justice system cares so little about recidivism rates compared to other countries.

Just another institution purposely design to marginalize and cultivate social stratification. Then they wonder why some of our communities have a hard time breaking the cycle of poverty smh.
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    More rehabs less prisons.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    liberal propaganda
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is what happens when you privatize prisons.
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its clearly a result of the war on drugs aka the black an brown round up
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »
    liberal propaganda
    O really?
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »

It's a red herring to simply blame privatization/capitalism.

It's collusion from the state to the federal level.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    old news is old.
  • mryounggun
    Options

My issue with that statement is that it implies that it's always a higher-level thing. It's not. Sometimes it's just ? like this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/11/mark-ciavarella-jr_n_924324.html

But I know what you mean.
  • jono
    Options
    liberal propaganda

I hope you are being sarcastic.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    liberal propaganda

He's not.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    liberal propaganda

You just hate democracy
  • High Revolutionary
    edited April 2014
    Options

My issue with that statement is that it implies that it's always a higher-level thing. It's not. Sometimes it's just ? like this...

That's my point though; collusion. The real culprit is the greedy judge who is in a much higher position of power and is able to rule verdicts and directly affect peoples lives. The prison owners aren't ? either but the onus is ultimately on the judge to sign off on things.

And who knows people in that circle may have known about the ? judge for years and didn't act on it until some kid's family or families with money finally put the screws to him and he had to be a sacrificial lamb of sorts.
  • mryounggun
    Options

That's my point though; collusion. The real culprit is the greedy judge who is in a much higher position of power and is able to rule verdicts and directly affect peoples lives. The prison owners aren't ? either but the onus is ultimately on the judge to sign off on things.

And who knows people in that circle may have known about the ? judge for years and didn't act on it until some kid's family or families with money finally put the screws to him and he had to be a sacrificial lamb of sorts.

Eh, I can't agree with that. I'd say that the fact that an environment and system in place are very susceptible of this sort of thing is just as problematic - if not more - than the poor moral fiber of the judge.
  • jono
    Options

Eh, I can't agree with that. I'd say that the fact that an environment and system in place are very susceptible of this sort of thing is just as problematic - if not more - than the poor moral fiber of the judge.

Yep. It's a simple supply & demand model. He supplied because there was a demand.

Take the profit motive out and this becomes purely an issue of states and other localities and their budgets.

Prisons and everything that come with it are huge public burdens, this is how private prisons rationalize their existence in the first place, if you leave the govt with no choice but to shrink or close them then they will have to. Private prisons are saving in a sense the prison-industrial complex, because it promised to make incarceration cheaper...even though that had also proven false.

In any event private prisons aren't solely to blame but they are a reason why this system exists.

• High Revolutionary
    edited April 2014
    Options
    So the judge is simply supplying a demand? That doesn't speak very highly of our government officials.

And there are profit motives within the public sector as well via things like misappropriation of tax dollars which has far less stigma than it should.

Taking out private industry isn't going to eliminate people's greed and propensity to get over.
  • High Revolutionary
    Options
    Also take into mind how people get into these prisons in the first place whether they're public or private, 3 strike laws, non-violent offenses, drug charges (especially) this is all legislation and has nothing to do with private industry.

Portugal legalizes drugs and drug use actually goes down yet we still got cats out here in America getting busted for dime bags.

Like I said a red herring.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    You're clearly missing the point.
  • High Revolutionary
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I got the point. Private prisons often gives judges/government officials incentives to give out harsher sentences thus driving up incarceration. It's a popular liberal talking point.

I'm saying ultimately private prisons are not a big reason as to why America's incarceration rates is so high. But it fits into the anti-capitalism rhetoric that's so popular now.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Lol.... The mechanism driving incarceration rates is complex, but privatization is in there...
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word to Michael Jordan
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got the point. Private prisons often gives judges/government officials incentives to give out harsher sentences thus driving up incarceration. It's a popular liberal talking point.

fixed that for ya

i have nothing against contracting some services to certain private organizations and this isn't just some liberal assault on capitalism, it's just common sense...

if a prison is run for profit then it will be in the best interest of the business to keep prisoners in the system for as long as possible. this will always be at odds with the traditional goals of the criminal justice system, which is to rehabilitate prisoners

and considering it's human nature to place self interest above all other concern, privatizing prisons fosters an environment where human greed can be exploited for the gain of a select few at the expense of many, especially the poor and blks

bad policy, the war on drugs, racism, criminalization of poverty, etc has imprisoned many but let's not act like the lobbyists from the private prison industry aren't using their money and influence to curtail prison reform efforts as well as lobbying to keep/put even more people behind bars

don't be disingenuous