who would be the best new owner for the Clippers?

Options

Comments

• iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't think majic was a owner for LAL...He was on the staff as an advisor tho

He was part owner of the team for nearly a decade.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »
    Trillfate wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Diddy, Ross and Floyd are tying to pool their money with a few other investors and buy the team. I'd say that it really doesn't matter, since I don't think any of the people listed would the MAJORITY owner. That's what really counts. Of the people listed though, I'd say Diddy and 'em.
    i think its understood that these will be figureheads and not majority owners

Jay only owns like 1% of the nets but is/was the face of the team

Uh, thats pretty sad that you aimin low. i wasnt thinkin of 'figureheads'. Im talkin straight ownership.

The bidding war is gon be a billy, so of that list only Magic and Oprah and MAYBE Diddy are in the running.

You need another type of money to buy a team as a majority owner. Floyd still fightin, thats new money relatively speakin.

Ross aitn even in the equation.

Diddy, maybe.

You need enterprise money. Stock ownership. Oprah has it. Magic w/ his types of investments probly has it.

Quite as kept, Dre w/ Beats is probably closer than diddy

Once Dre with Beats by Dre hits the stock market he will be a billionaire

@Sion‌

How can I buy their stock now before this happens.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Magic Johnson
    Diddy, Ross and Floyd are tying to pool their money with a few other investors and buy the team. I'd say that it really doesn't matter, since I don't think any of the people listed would the MAJORITY owner. That's what really counts. Of the people listed though, I'd say Diddy and 'em.

Uh, thats pretty sad that you aimin low. i wasnt thinkin of 'figureheads'. Im talkin straight ownership.

The bidding war is gon be a billy, so of that list only Magic and Oprah and MAYBE Diddy are in the running.

You need another type of money to buy a team as a majority owner. Floyd still fightin, thats new money relatively speakin.

Diddy, maybe.

You need enterprise money. Stock ownership. Oprah has it. Magic w/ his types of investments probly has it.

Exactly. Thats what im sayin.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Magic Johnson
    p-tavern wrote: »
    The NBPA

Slept on post tho.

• In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    somebody white (? vote)
    George Bush
  • S2J
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Magic Johnson
    None of the people mentioned have the money to logically purchase the team outright. MAYBE Oprah. But that'd be a terrible financial move on her part.

Also, I don't think Magic would be as good a choice as everyone thinks. He used to be a part owner of the Lakers and is VERY engrained in that franchise still. That alone gives me cause for pause.

Truth. This is a helluva lesson in not only the dffernce between rich and wealthy...but even the diff between wealthy and ____... ? i dont even know a word. @sion whats a word lol

There's WEALTHY mfers who couldnt afford this outright.

The Milwaukee Bucks....THE MILWAUKEE BUCKS....Just sold for 500 mill. The Clips are estimated to sell for 1 Billion dollars.

Crazy.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wingstop arena
  • S2J
    Options
    Magic Johnson
    Regarding Magic's ties to the Lakers, apparently all that has gone out the window with Dr. Buss' son who's now owner. The entire Laker nation old heads hate dude.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    magic-caught-creepin.jpg?w=635&h=952

Let a bruh get it who knows the game

Damn she bad
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Options
    Sion wrote: »

Diddy, maybe.

@Sion‌

When the company goes public you'll be able to buy stock in it.

Becareful with IPOs tho, typically you should wait until the mania is over, the price recedes and then go buy. In an IPO CEOs always sell their stock for something like 7-20x what it's actually worth. This is why Dr.Dre and Jimmy Iovine will become billionaires the day their company goes public. They sell to you so they can profit largely.

So if you had to guess, at what price do you think the stock would be?

And why not buy now, and sell once they go public? Wouldn't you get a better return rather than waitin til after that mania dies down?
  • mryounggun
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Real ? though, if i had to bet money on someone, I'd say Larry Ellison would get them. Dude got long money, ain't afraid to throw it around and is eccentric in the mold of Mark Cuban. That'd be attractive to the league because it's the polar opposite of Sterling.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Let all them ? link up so they can own it together
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Options
    Real ? though, if i had to bet money on someone, I'd say Larry Ellison would get them. Dude got long money, ain't afraid to throw it around and is eccentric in the mold of Mark Cuban. That'd be attractive to the league because it's the polar opposite of Sterling.

Yeah but Magic is L.A. I agree wit Sion. Magic ain't about to let this slip thru his fingers.
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    other celeb (name names)
    DWO wrote: »
    Dr Dre or Snoop

@DWO‌
    Although slim with his words,
    the Doc admitted he has already considered making a bid for the team if it is up for grabs.

dr-dre-2013-12-12-300x300.png

Dr. Dre tells TMZ Sports ...
    he's "absolutely" interested in buying the L.A. Clippers when the NBA forces Donald Sterling to sell the team...
    and he seems very serious about it. "I'm thinking about it ... yes,"
    Dre told us on his way in to Boa Steakhouse in L.A. last night.

It's not like he couldn't afford it ...
    Forbes just released its list of wealthiest hip hop moguls and Dre clocked in at #2,
    with a reported net worth of $550 million. (TMZ)
  • mryounggun
    Options

Yeah but Magic is L.A. I agree wit Sion. Magic ain't about to let this slip thru his fingers.

Yeah, but Magic is LA because Magic is the LAKERS. Plus, I'm not so sure it's about him 'letting' it slip through his fingers. If Magic wants the team, he'd have to mob up with more people, probably his homie he sold his share of the Lakers to. Meaning the high bid amount ain't up to just him.

Larry Ellison is worth 50 Billion. If dude wants to bit 300mil over asking price, there's no meetings to hold with 'partners' and none of that ? . He just does it.

We'll see though. This ? is all very interesting.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    illedout wrote: »
    Dr Dre or Snoop

@DWO‌
    the Doc admitted he has already considered making a bid for the team if it is up for grabs.

he's "absolutely" interested in buying the L.A. Clippers when the NBA forces Donald Sterling to sell the team...

Forbes just released its list of wealthiest hip hop moguls and Dre clocked in at #2,

550 ain't nearly enough, fam. If we're talking purchasing outright, he ain't even in the conversation.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Options
    illedout wrote: »
    Dr Dre or Snoop

@DWO‌

Welp, Detox is never coming out

Diddy, maybe.

@Sion‌

When the company goes public you'll be able to buy stock in it.

Becareful with IPOs tho, typically you should wait until the mania is over, the price recedes and then go buy. In an IPO CEOs always sell their stock for something like 7-20x what it's actually worth. This is why Dr.Dre and Jimmy Iovine will become billionaires the day their company goes public. They sell to you so they can profit largely.

So if you had to guess, at what price do you think the stock would be?

And why not buy now, and sell once they go public? Wouldn't you get a better return rather than waitin til after that mania dies down?

Not sure what the price will be.

The company is still private so you can't buy shares unless you know Dre and them personally.

Nah in an IPO the goal is to raise money. If my company is worth $1000 why would I sell 10 of my shares for $100 when I would need at least $500 to do w/e it is I'd need ? Why not sell the shares of 10 for $50 a share, take my profit off the top since it's my company and use the rest to reinvest and grow my business ? That's the idea of most CEOs who take a company public.

When IPOs occur you have huge run ups for maybe a few days or a week ? And then the price often drops as much as 50% of more. That's what happened to Facebook when it went public. A lot of people lost a lot of money.

We often joke that the acronym for IPO is "It's Probably Overpriced", "Insider's Private Opportunity" and stuff like that LOLOL. Ideally you should stay away from them and wait for the price to fall. If company A is a FANTASTIC business would you pay 100x the price ? How would you profit and pay yourself back unless you find a bigger fool who will pay more. It's smarter to let the price plummet and then invest.

Another thing with IPOs is that financial statements and reports don't actually come out in full until a year later. Personally I like to know what I'm getting into before I get into it. Most new companies are often not profitable. At the end of the day it is your money fam, make the best decision you feel will benefit your wallets.

GOAT my ? . Appreciate the advice.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    other celeb (name names)
    i'm team dre all the way... dude hasn't lost yet.....

dude schooled snoop, 50, em....

those are his protege's......protege's bruh.....those 3 are worth over a billion easy...and dre schooled them in their moves....

and the ? is a franchise in and of himself bruh....

kinda like how band-aids is a brand name....not the product....

kool-aid, xerox these are brands....but their brand is so dominant that people associate them directly with the product....

you see wireless headphones.....first thing you think of is....beats by dre

this ? a winner

i think dre can handle this ? bruh
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Diddy, maybe.

wait, they are still a private company?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    other celeb (name names)

Diddy, maybe.

wait, they are still a private company?

ha, dre might go public to acquire the clippers
  • mryounggun
    Options

Larry has lost out to something like 3 or 4 teams already, but the thing with Larry is that he wants a team he knows is going to win championships that's why he broke the bank for the Lakers, Heat, and Dallas. He might buy the Clippers but iuno. It is true tho, no one has a bigger treasure chest than Larry. Maybe he might.

Magic already has the connections, the experience and the money. He's well connected with private equity and one of his best friends is worth $10 billion dollars. No matter how this plays if Sterling is forced to give up the team Magic is going to set it up in such a way that they HAVE to deal with or through him.

Shiiiiiid, he was 2nd in the bidding in 2010 to buy the Warriors. I'd say the Clips are closer to a chip right now than the Warriors are now or were back then.

But yeah, in terms of connections in Southern Cal and in the basketball community, Magic has more. Just not sure that's gonna matter to a ? like Ellision.

But we'll see. Either way it'll be better than Sterling.
  • S2J
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Magic Johnson
    You guys should all do yourselfs a favor and take a look at the Forbes Hip Hop's richest list...Then look at the Forbes richest people list.

Its like JV vs Varsity.

Jay-Z said it best:

TIME's most influential, was impressive
    'Specially since I wasn't in the artist section
    Had me with the
    builders and the titans
    Had me right with Rupert Murdoch
    Billionaire boys and some dudes you never heard of

And even tho Jay was there he aint in them boys league either (1/15 of 1%)...'dudes you never heard of'.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    You guys should all do yourselfs a favor and take a look at the Forbes Hip Hop's richest list...Then look at the Forbes richest people list.

Its like JV vs Varsity.

Jay-Z said it best:

TIME's most influential, was impressive
    'Specially since I wasn't in the artist section
    Had me with the
    builders and the titans
    Had me right with Rupert Murdoch
    Billionaire boys and some dudes you never heard of

And even tho Jay was there he aint in them boys league either (1/15 of 1%)...'dudes you never heard of'.

Word. That ? was evident when Jay had that sit down with Warren Buffet. That's why any Rapper or entertainer trying to by ANY NBA team outright is either not possible or really stupid, depending on the person.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    Also, I'm thinking some ? might not really know what 'net worth' means. Lol.