Is JOHN STOCKTON the greatest point guard of all time??

Options

Comments

• PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't make me choose
    He had the numbers, just not the rings. He's the assist and steal king. I dont wanna hear no system PG ? . He made Malone more than Malone made him.

His biggest problem was the GOAT. Jordan stayed ruining legacies in the 90's. Stockton, Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Payton, etc. Thank ? he retired long enough to let Dream get his.

usmarin3 wrote: »
    I can't even think of one epic Stockton moment. Magic had that game 6 when he played center, Isiah had that 40+ point playoff game, etc. What was Stockton's epic moment?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDi0Ce_Z5w

Be quiet
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nahhhh....
    1.Magic
    2.Zeke
    3/4.Kidd
    3/4.Nash
    5.Big O
    Are my top 5

If Nash or Kidd was playin on the Jazz with a prime Malone they getting atleast two rings
  • blu197
    edited May 2014
    Options
    nahhhh....
    He had the numbers, just not the rings. He's the assist and steal king. I dont wanna hear no system PG ? . HE MADE MALONE MORE THAN MALONE MADE HIM.

You do know Malone is 2nd all time in Defensive Rebounds (7th in total rebounds) a two time MVP, 2nd in Field Goals made and points scored plus 1st in win shares ALLTIME...

Malone could have won without Stockton because his tremendous post skills only required that he got the touches. It's not as if Stockton was throwing him lobs on a regular basis on some Payton/Kemp ? ...
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 sho
    People hating on Stockton just because he was a 6'1'' white boy. SMH, no he might not be the GOAT but he's damn sure top 5 PG's of all-time.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 sho
    blu197 wrote: »
    Kidd>>>Stockton

In his prime could give you a triple double any night, a better defender and carried the NEW JERSEY NETS to the finals twice, with Kenyon Martin as his 2nd best player

But they also had Richard Jefferson who was just as good as Martin so in effect they had two 2nd best players.
  • blu197
    Options
    nahhhh....
    Rampage12 wrote: »
    Kidd>>>Stockton

In his prime could give you a triple double any night, a better defender and carried the NEW JERSEY NETS to the finals twice, with Kenyon Martin as his 2nd best player

But they also had Richard Jefferson who was just as good as Martin so in effect they had two 2nd best players.

During the Nets first run to the finals Richard Jefferson was puttin up 7ppg/4reb/1ast as good as KMart, really bruh? (Kmart put up 16/5/3) By Nets second run he did jump up to 14/6/4 but Kmart gave em 19ppg/9reb/3ast/1blk/1stl, that's jus as good (if not better) than anything Pau gave Kobe from 08-10.. Kmart was clearly the 2nd best player on those Nets runs
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nahhhh....
    Def top 6-7. I can't in good conscience even consider him to be better than Magic, Isaiah, or Oscar for GOAT. Even typing that ? just now felt ridiculous.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ ? sayn its the system

How many dimes that cracka have??? Stockton was a great pg
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    nahhhh....
    LOL @ this mfer got Nash over Stockton.
    bush_dodges_shoes.gif
    1.Magic
    2.Zeke
    3/4.Kidd
    3/4.Nash
    5.Big O
    Are my top 5

If Nash or Kidd was playin on the Jazz with a prime Malone they getting atleast two rings

That SOB was a defensive liability. The glove would have mugged that bastard on the court. Put Stockton in Nash place and you have a list.

Nash is a better Pistol Pete.
  • caddo man
    Options
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nahhhh....
    But he's in the discussion.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 sho
    My top 5
    Stockton
    Magic
    Oscar
    Kidd
    Payton
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I can't even think of one epic Stockton moment. Magic had that game 6 when he played center, Isiah had that 40+ point playoff game, etc. What was Stockton's epic moment?

Please shut the ? up.
  • fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Def not but ...

Gotta take umbrage with duke comparing Stockton to Nash. Oter than bein crackers. Stockton was a good defensive player and much tougher than Nash. Stockton would take charges from big men and wouldn't hesitate set screens - Nash isn't about that life. Nash ain't even top 20 to me.

Plus I remember Stockt
  • fightforolddc
    Options
    plus I remember Stockton being the guy who'd hit the big shots for Utah, even though he wasn't a volume scorer. Malone was great but i seem to remember Stockton hitting some coldblooded shots in the playoffs -- I don't remember Mailman doing that.
  • blu197
    edited May 2014
    Options
    nahhhh....
    Def not but ...

Gotta take umbrage with duke comparing Stockton to Nash. Oter than bein crackers. Stockton was a good defensive player and much tougher than Nash. Stockton would take charges from big men and wouldn't hesitate set screens - Nash isn't about that life. Nash ain't even top 20 to me.

Plus I remember Stockt

Stockton was arguably the best at delivering the ball, feeding the post, basically getting the ball exactly where it needed to be in a set but he was not a better playmaker, he was not better at breaking down defenses, or as creative/dynamic. If you want to give a PG the ball and ask him to create something (ie. make guys like Channing Frye and Hakim Warrick threats) you'd give the ball to Nash, not Stockton. And obviously as scorers, there's a clear gap as well. Stockton's offense/scoring was consistent, Nash on offense had Stockton's consistency but on top of that also possessed a gear that made him go beyond what Stockton was capable of giving you (again Stockton has never scored over 35 in a 19 year career)

And Nash is one of the toughest players the league has seen, dude has played with a broken nose and a busted eye on multiple occasions... Stockton was a good defender but ppl overrate how good he was as if he were a defensive monster on GP/Pippen status jus locking ? up.(he jus always cheated the passing lanes) and overreact to Nash on defense, if you watch Nash play he's always were he needs to be on D, even now on the Lakers...
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't make me choose
    ? is so subjective, so many candidates it's hard to go wrong. Unless you ? around and say Eric Snow or somebody. But who would say that.
  • caddo man
    Options
    nahhhh....
    Def not but ...

Plus I remember Stockt

Stockton was arguably the best at delivering the ball, feeding the post, basically getting the ball exactly where it needed to be in a set but he was not a better playmaker, he was not better at breaking down defenses, or as creative/dynamic. If you want to give a PG the ball and ask him to create something (ie. make guys like Channing Frye and Hakim Warrick threats) you'd give the ball to Nash, not Stockton. And obviously as scorers, there's a clear gap as well. Stockton's offense/scoring was consistent, Nash on offense had Stockton's consistency but on top of that also possessed a gear that made him go beyond what Stockton was capable of giving you (again Stockton has never scored over 35 in a 19 year career)

And Nash is one of the toughest players the league has seen, dude has played with a broken nose and a busted eye on multiple occasions... Stockton was a good defender but ppl overrate how good he was as if he were a defensive monster on GP/Pippen status jus locking ? up.(he jus always cheated the passing lanes) and overreact to Nash on defense, if you watch Nash play he's always were he needs to be on D, even now on the Lakers...

The bolded is what you call an assist and Stockton had the most ever in the NBA.

If Nash was where he needed to be, then where would you say the NBA steals leader was? Oh cheating in the passing lanes.

Stockton only missed 22 games in his 19 year career.

bruh Stockton is a better PG and did it consistently for his whole career.
  • blu197
    Options
    nahhhh....
    No what i mean by the bolded is make bums look like borderline all stars...
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 sho
    http://espn.go.com/nba/history/leaders/_/stat/steals

http://espn.go.com/nba/history/leaders/_/stat/assists

what the ? is wrong with some of ya'll ? ?
    thats offense and defense, him being the all time nba leader in 2 statistical categories is impressive.
    any ? that has kidd in their top 5 should by default have stockton 1 slot higher.
    also, name another point guard with 1 other scoring option that could still make his team win (defenses are geared around first options)
    the ? had hornacek as his best 3rd option career.
    maybe not your favorite, but respect the ? as no lower than top 3
  • blu197
    Options
    nahhhh....
    Kidd didn't have the luxury of playing with the second best scorer of all time, he carried a decent roster at best to the finals twice in his prime, was a better rebounder by miles and a more versatile defender b/c he can guard the 1-3, has over 100 career triple doubles... Kidd is better than Stockton bruh
  • fightforolddc
    Options
    Just from the eye test I gotta take Stockton. Nash was a very good playmaker but with his defensive deficiencies and finesse style the suns weren't ever gonna win deep in the playoffs.

I remember magic said Stockton gave the lakers headaches because he could play fast or slow depending on what they needed, and would strip their scoters of the ball. And Payton called him or ougher to guard than the GOAT.

I'm not sayin that makes it true but I don't think anyone feared Nash like that. He couldn't affect the game on both ends. Matter fact I remember all good point guards dropping career highs on him.
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kidd didn't have the luxury of playing with the second best scorer of all time, he carried a decent roster at best to the finals twice in his prime, was a better rebounder by miles and a more versatile defender b/c he can guard the 1-3, has over 100 career triple doubles... Kidd is better than Stockton bruh

Youre down playing the role Stockton played in all of those points. All those assists and most of them went to Malone
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nahhhh....
    One PG is routinely mentioned in the top 5 of all time. Wouldn't it make sense that he'd be the greatest PG of all time?
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nahhhh....
    He had the numbers, just not the rings. He's the assist and steal king. I dont wanna hear no system PG ? . HE MADE MALONE MORE THAN MALONE MADE HIM.

You do know Malone is 2nd all time in Defensive Rebounds (7th in total rebounds) a two time MVP, 2nd in Field Goals made and points scored plus 1st in win shares ALLTIME...

Malone could have won without Stockton because his tremendous post skills only required that he got the touches. It's not as if Stockton was throwing him lobs on a regular basis on some Payton/Kemp ? ...

Malone is 3rd all time in win shares