Iraq crisis: Isis jihadists 'seize Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons stockpile'

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
edited June 2014 in The Social Lounge
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao this is unreal. i say ? em and let it play out, whatever happens will happen anyway
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the US Military will be over there again in no time. . .
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    16.32 Isis jihadists have seized a chemical weapons facility built by Saddam Hussein which contains a stockpile of old weapons, State Department officials have told the Wall Street Journal:

Quote U.S. officials don't believe the Sunni militants will be able to create a functional chemical weapon from the material. The weapons stockpiled at the Al Muthanna complex are old, contaminated and hard to move, officials said.

Nonetheless, the capture of the chemical-weapon stockpile by the forces of the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham, known as ISIS or ISIL, the militant group that is seizing territory in the country, has grabbed the attention of the U.S.

"We remain concerned about the seizure of any military site by the ISIL," Jen Psaki, the State Department spokeswoman, said in a written statement. "We do not believe that the complex contains CW materials of military value and it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to safely move the materials."
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't wait until they start using them.

The US will be in Iraq again before next year, more Bechtel and Lockheed Martin contracts....

More soldiers coming back with scrambled brains and a diminished national infrastructure.

Should be a fun news cycle.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now we have to send more troops back over there to fix a situation the American government facilitated. Terrible situation and i especially like how fox news was trying revise history saying that the reason Iraq was occupied to plant the seeds of democracy and the purpose of staying over there is to stabilize the government to prevent it from becoming a terrorist state....? is worse now than before cowboy Bush decided to live out Alexander the Great fantasy
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's over bruh.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • IgnorantSole
    IgnorantSole Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »
    ? man. Just split the country in 3 already. The ? are we doing? Forcing 3 peoples who clearly dont wanna be together to be together.

Split that ? up, create a sunni state, a shiite state, and a kurdish state, and call it a day.

that's the problem, they don't wanna divide ? , the sunni want all or nothing,same as the shia.

i can say being in the area is interesting as ? right now, watching it in real time and watching what gets to the news.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wait a minute.....I thought we supposedly destroyed all that ? when we were there

ain't that the WMDs we went over there for?

No. The US gave Saddam chemical weapons in the 80s to use against Iran, so they knew he has those. It was pretty clear that Bush & Co., went in looking for nuclear weapons...that he didn't have.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Russia don't want it. Chess. Not checkers.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the US Military will be over there again in no time. . .
    well it is kinda our fault

but on the other hand when does personal responsibility come into play
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let Israel use the Samson Option and turn it all to glass.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as good as it might sound to say just leave them alone and let them fight it out i don't think that would be a good idea because this could turn into a sunni vs shia religious war real quick. This group does not just want to take iraq they want syria also. Iran will back the shia and the arabia states will back the sunni.

this ? could get real ugly.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So I guess this means....

b0e.gif ....?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    as good as it might sound to say just leave them alone and let them fight it out i don't think that would be a good idea because this could turn into a sunni vs shia religious war real quick. This group does not just want to take iraq they want syria also. Iran will back the shia and the arabia states will back the sunni.

Sound like a win-win to me. Let them squab it out and whoever come out on top send them a gift basket and call it a day.

No because it's just going to spread to other places in the middle east and who ever comes out on top might be worse than the people we have to deal with now and not only that they will be much stronger. What the people who follow this islamic fundamentalist ideology want is basically a kaliphate which would be a another islamic super state like the ottoman empire used to be. The world does not need that ? now things are to unstable
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

Sound like a win-win to me. Let them squab it out and whoever come out on top send them a gift basket and call it a day.

No because it's just going to spread to other places in the middle east and who ever comes out on top might be worse than the people we have to deal with now and not only that they will be much stronger. What the people who follow this islamic fundamentalist ideology want is basically a kaliphate which would be a another islamic super state like the ottoman empire used to be. The world does not need that ? now things are to unstable

Whoever comes out on top would most likely be weaker because of years of warfare. I doubt any involved party would completely and definitively crush opposition and completely consolidate power. United States has the most powerful and well funded military in the world and we couldn't even do that. Western world should be more concerned about them uniting than them fighting if anything.