Kevin Hart Tussles With CNN's Don Lemon Over ‘Redskins’ Controversy: Don't Compare It to the N-Word

Options
StoneColdMikey
StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
edited June 2014 in The Social Lounge

Kevin Hart Tussles With CNN's Don Lemon Over ‘Redskins’ Controversy: Don't Compare It to the N-Word (Audio)
The Wrap
James Crugnale 10 hours ago
CNN's Don Lemon and Kevin Hart, had a spirited back-and-forth on Thursday's “Tom Joyner Morning Show,” over the Washington Redskins name controversy.

“Well, I ain't never call no one no Redskin. I've never been mad like ‘get out of this restaurant, you Redskin.” Hart, who's starring in new release “Think Like a Man Too,” said.

Data Breaches Are A New Norm. Are You At Risk?
Sponsored by Identity Guard 
Also read: Washington Redskins Trademark Canceled, Ruled ‘Disparaging’ by Patent Board

“We've been called the n-word,” Joyner said.” Who has ever been called a Redskin other than the team? Is it fair to compare being called the N-word?”

“I'm not comparing the N-word,” Lemon said.

They two traded semantics over the terms of their debate, then got into the heavy stuff.

See video: Fred Willard Offended by Jimmy Kimmel's Proposed Washington Redskins Name Change

“It's not in the same bar,” Hart said. “We don't know how (Native Americans) feel personally because we're not them, but this has existed for twenty years.”

“You mean Redskins?” Lemon said. “Yeah, they've been using it since the 1930s.”

“Now — to say it's a problem, it's a team name,” Hart said. “Nobody uses that word in a way to where it's insulting, it's celebrated, you have fans who celebrate the Washington Redskins, they rejoice, whether it's win or lose, we love the Redskins.”

See video: John Oliver Tackles the Washington Redskins’ Incredibly Racist Team Name (Video)

“What if they were called the Washington Blackfaces, Washington N-words?” Lemon asked.

“You can't say it's the same,” Hart said. “It's not the same, Don.”

Lemon said he was only talking about the origin of the word over time.

Listen to the exchange:

The post Kevin Hart Tussles With CNN's Don Lemon Over ‘Redskins’ Controversy: Don't Compare It to the N-Word (Audio) appeared first on TheWrap.

Related stories from TheWrap:
Josh Gad Pays Kevin Hart to Be His Best Man in 'The Wedding Ringer' Trailer (Video)

'Think Like a Man Too' WrapOff Review: 'It's This Long Commercial for The Convention and Visitors Authority (Video)

Yahoo Celebrity

Comments

• Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don Lemon makes me sick
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Kevin Hart just promote your movies. This is why you admitted you shouldn't talk about certain ?
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    “Now — to say it's a problem, it's a team name,” Hart said. “Nobody uses that word in a way to where it's insulting, it's celebrated, you have fans who celebrate the Washington Redskins, they rejoice, whether it's win or lose, we love the Redskins.”

smh-rock-o.gif

The more he talks the less I like him
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?????

Why are they discussing the name of a football team?
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The native americans are really the only people that should get to speak on this...if collectively they feel some typa way then let them fight it out like they've been doing.

The name doesn't mean anything to me personally
    Agree with this, why did they get hart to participate in this anyway.?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The dude that came up with the name was a known big time racist.
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The native americans are really the only people that should get to speak on this...if collectively they feel some typa way then let them fight it out like they've been doing.

The name doesn't mean anything to me personally
    Agree with this, why did they get hart to participate in this anyway.?

He's promoting his movie so he's taking any promotional bookings offered. He was on WWE Raw for ? sake, he'd have turned up to your kids birthday party if it had been this week and you agreed to buy a ticket to go see it.
    Yep my moms watches the view and I saw him and some of the cast from the movie on their
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    kevin is a ? its not about comparisons. im pretty sure there are some GED having ass ? that agree.. like yeah he has a point

? wouldnt be to eager to hear what others feel we as Negros should feel about certain things.. stay in ya lane
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kevin Hart has a point, "redskin" isn't in the same league as ?

But he was way off by saying it's not offensive. Natives have been trying to get "redskin" removed for years now, from what I understand they also want to get rid of the Florida St. "Seminoles" name too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It doesnt have to be in the same league..

its not in a league.. Redskin is in the NFL though
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a Skins fan and due to the tradition and history associated with the name, I'm biased and have a visceral reaction of wanting to keep it. However, I completely understand why people want to change it and it would be refreshing if they did since it's the correct thing to do. It's undeniably offensive and problematic for a business entity to have a racial slur attached to it.

Kevin Hart (and anyone that isn't Native American) shouldn't speak for Native Americans, and proclaim it isn't offensive or tell them how they should feel about it.

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blackskins or Darkskins is what should be compared.Neither would fly today.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Us commenting on this is like white people commenting on the use of ? . We're not qualified to speak on another race's feelings. If we are, then when they go on TV and say who can, and can't say ? , we can't say ? . Can't have it both ways.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    All the people that are running around asking "Why is this a problem now?" are idiots. Natives didn't just start complaining about this. They've been doing it. People just started listening.

And I wouldn't say the term "Redskin" is comparable to "? ," but that doesn't change the fact that it is offensive to a lot of Natives. ? isn't comparable to the N-word either, but ya'll know damn well there would be hell to pay if that became the mascot of a new team.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    How can you tell a native American what not be offended by?

Same way white people tell black folks it's no big deal when they say ?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    any black person defending the name is a ? bootlicking ? .
    especially any ? talking about tradition of a football team. like ? , grow the ? up.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    any black person defending the name is a ? bootlicking ? .
    especially any ? talking about tradition of a football team. like ? , grow the ? up.

And a hypocrite. How the ? can you cosign white people doing the same ? to another group that they do to us. It's crazy how people think.

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    That ? is hella disrespectful though

That's like having a team called the black skins w/ a slave or just a regular black man as the logo

or how about the yellowskins w/ a buck toothed Asian with a bowl cut as the logo

Native Americans are the one race who has the right to have a chip on their shoulder as much if not more than blacks

I'll admit I'm kinda insensitive because I'm not Native American and Redskins just flows as a team name because we're conditioned to think of it as normal,It's not

And just like "? " you got these ppl telling Native Americans what they should find offensive and saying ? them and their feelings.
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    What I would find offensive if I were Native American is how all those white muhfuckas wearing "war paint" and headdresses
    redskinsfan7.jpg

redskinsfan3.jpg

index?id=clunHsvBeVBJDRbC-wdV8Uop7kvpmKxusOOmpAhZYf76WdEHOq_tOcyrlPSCghi_66cFLScnMvEUBSl-Ryv75A0D9qeyNsdOQJIhJr-vPmEWx1JIv_IkdUx8iBMN4Ry5Ro4wxMmWWeV4NVMvzJ6eBRPiGfXTPH8czI2USaGN1737hdzHA-4ft1Z7CpOpmHutUggRVtFzYWMGgyO3

At first I didnt get it
    But after seeing these goofy ass white ppl. It all makes sense now smmfh