Free Agency vs Family

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
So seeing Melo talk about taking his son into consideration and the well assumed influence LaLa has over his decision it made me think if you were an athlete heading into Free Agency would you turn down a chance at a title if your wife and kid/s didn't want to make the move?

Comments

• zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Of course..... my family first...... then everything else.
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if lebron opts out to take less that would make that kobe 24 mil he got coming to him this year seem i dont know whats the word but man

the options this off season could have been crazy with cap flex but i cant front on kobe though i dont know if a chance for a title would really be worth all the money you have to leave on the table to me either especially with him being out west

we are about to see the actual value of a championship to an nba star with how this plays out in miami though

i think thats the better question how much money would you be willing to give up for a chance at a title because if its family then obviously you have to put that over everything i would think

then again it would matter how old my kids were because that transferring them into different schools is real nevermind a different city
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Part of the problem is we look and hear these figures so often, we lose it's true value. We talkin about 24 million like its monopoly money.

I dnt care how much you got, straight up handing over 8 million dollars or whatever the amount Kobe would have had to, is absolutely insane.

Same as Wade. You askin Wade, who will not get another big contract, to hand over a helluva a lot of money...to help ANOTHER ngga's legacy. B/c whether Wade has 3 rings or 7, given his likely contributions going forward, it wont mean much on his standing in history...Meanwhile, he got 2 sons and a on-break-baby to feed for the next 18 years...

• ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nba owners created a salary structure that artificially limits the salary of players then expect (in pat riley case) for players to take pay cuts
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I can see them ? on my off days. Daddy gots to get that paper. If BabyMama/Wifey wanna earn her keep she better take care of them youngins while I am out here earnin'.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Melo on some ? ....? been from Bmore forever all of the sudden he from NY. LaLa run that ?

That was always funny to me Melo got West Baltimore tat clear as day but people keep saying he from NY because he was born there
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends how much the difference is between what I make and what my spouse makes. If she just home chilling and ? then she gotta get in line with my career and help me keep building. If she's holding her own weight financially then I gotta consider what she wanna do. Wouldn't really matter what my kid thinks to be honest.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if you as a player are still undecided on say two places. then you get your wifes opinion. other than that, they go where you go and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Melo on some ? ....? been from Bmore forever all of the sudden he from NY. LaLa run that ?

That was always funny to me Melo got West Baltimore tat clear as day but people keep saying he from NY because he was born there

Same thing with pac.....he was born in NY but repped LA.... then he hated NY ? ....still cant get around that
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zerocool wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »

Same thing with pac.....he was born in NY but repped LA.... then he hated NY ? ....still cant get around that

he never hated all of them, it was just certain ones
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I'm an upper echelon athlete I'm doing what's best for my career. The window that you have to be able to craft your legacy is rather short. It's plenty of time for family once you're done playing
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I'm an upper echelon athlete I'm doing what's best for my career. The window that you have to be able to craft your legacy financially secure your family for a generation or 2 is rather short. It's plenty of time for family once you're done playing

Fixed. Lets keep it 100.