Shane Douglas>Triple H

Options
genocidecutter
genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
I mean lets face it. Shane cuts better promos, was much better in the ring and he single handed put ECW on the map

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean lets face it. Shane cuts better promos, was much better in the ring and he single handed put ECW on the map
    he didn't "single handed" put ECW on the map guys like RVD, Sabu,Taz, Dudleyz, heyman etc was a huge part of that
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shane Douglas is a ?

And I don't even like HHH
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    On the low, "The Game" was stolen from Shane Douglas ECW gimmick. Esp Shane Douglas in 98.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, anybody is better than HHH at this point.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hhh bit him heavy
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    u can see how douglas influenced HHH, damn near every time i mention hhh i mention he just wwe's version of shane douglas with more backstage politics, ill say they bout even in the ring tho, good psychologists
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah. Shane doesn't heft enough credit.
  • jono
    Options
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Got damn free post
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Cliff Da Mont Members Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Options
    So triple H did what Shane couldn't do with his own gimmick aka be successful?

Seems like self ether

But shout out to Shane Douglas impressive 1991 royal rumble performance. #UAINTEVENKNOW
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options

Seems like self ether

But shout out to Shane Douglas impressive 1991 royal rumble performance. #UAINTEVENKNOW
    What are you talking about successful? Shane was already a world champion in ECW b4 HHH stole n ran with his gimmick n look in 99. Only difference is was one was in ECW n the other was in WWE. That's like saying Taz wasn't successful just cuz his reign was primarily or solely in ECW.
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Options

Seems like self ether

What are you talking about successful? Shane was already a world champion in ECW b4 HHH stole n ran with his gimmick n look in 99. Only difference is was one was in ECW n the other was in WWE. That's like saying Taz wasn't successful just cuz his reign was primarily or solely in ECW.

A world champion in ecw isn't much to brag about. He was the king of the bingo hall....you must not remember the only way you could even watch ecw was at 1am on the Spanish channel on Saturday nights. Ecw wasn't SUCCESFUL they were innovative. Merchandise and house shows made them their only money. Dean Douglas wasnt even the top reason to watch ecw, and I liked Shane but c'mon now. You must of forgot how little ecw really was, all these nostalgia look backs have kids thinking ecw was bigger than it was. WWF giving their guys air time is what made them known, unless you were nose deep every week in an issue of PWI.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    How is it self ether that Shane end up helping a small independent promotion rise to 3rd biggest and wasn't bout to kiss the cliques or ric flair's ass, while hhh plays the political game and gets his way cuz his ? is the bosses daughter and he ends up wrongly put in the same categories as scsa and the rock while becoming a somewhat boring many time transitional champion
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Options
    How is it self ether that Shane end up helping a small independent promotion rise to 3rd biggest and wasn't bout to kiss the cliques or ric flair's ass, while hhh plays the political game and gets his way cuz his ? is the bosses daughter and he ends up wrongly put in the same categories as scsa and the rock while becoming a somewhat boring many time transitional champion

You're giving dean Douglas too much credit...he tried to sell out and failed. That's pretty embarrassing. And save the "he got buried by the kliq" he had 2 shots in wwf and didn't do anything with them...BUT he gets a pass for his first stint as I believe he left to help his sick wife or family member, regardless though, he tried to sell out and failed.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options

Seems like self ether

A world champion in ecw isn't much to brag about. He was the king of the bingo hall....you must not remember the only way you could even watch ecw was at 1am on the Spanish channel on Saturday nights. Ecw wasn't SUCCESFUL they were innovative. Merchandise and house shows made them their only money. Dean Douglas wasnt even the top reason to watch ecw, and I liked Shane but c'mon now. You must of forgot how little ecw really was, all these nostalgia look backs have kids thinking ecw was bigger than it was. WWF giving their guys air time is what made them known, unless you were nose deep every week in an issue of PWI.

ECW at one point had shows outselling Nitros and Thunder tapings. I MEAN Ted Turner used to give Vince McMahon airtime too. Pro wrestling isn't about how many people are riding ya ? . That's the same mentality that destroys hip hop. I know the point is making money but thats not the only point. Thats 50 cent like mentality is why todays Americans wrestling fans are basically not wrestling fans but WWE brand name robots that know nothing else outside of it.

Like I said WWE wasnt always on top and being on top of todays business the way it is isnt saying much. Its like Nicki Minaj being the top female MC by default.
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Options

Seems like self ether

ECW at one point had shows outselling Nitros and Thunder tapings. I MEAN Ted Turner used to give Vince McMahon airtime too. Pro wrestling isn't about how many people are riding ya ? . That's the same mentality that destroys hip hop. I know the point is making money but thats not the only point. Thats 50 cent like mentality is why todays Americans wrestling fans are basically not wrestling fans but WWE brand name robots that know nothing else outside of it.

Like I said WWE wasnt always on top and being on top of todays business the way it is isnt saying much. Its like Nicki Minaj being the top female MC by default.

Thunder and nitro and that company were down by then, but whatever agree to disagree....in regards to ring work triple H at his prime was far better. Look at his matches with the rock, even bret when he was Helmsley. I loved Shane don't get it twisted, but there's a reason triple H ended up where he did and Shane did where he did. And I stopped watch rasslin' in early 2000's. Shane was great, and I'm not much of a tripe h fan overall but to >>> dean Douglas over him is kinda absurd
  • jono
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Douglas in ECW, he was one of the few actual wrestlers in the company that was a natural fit for his role. He had been kicked around by both the major promotions and was ? off so he built a character around his frustrations.

HHH did the same thing just on a larger scale. "The Game" was built from his frustrations over being buried for two years.

To be honest they bruh needed it. Sometimes you have to let guys blow off steam and it changes fan perception...whether it should change or not.

I remembered Dean Douglas, as I was pretty much a WWF fan, and if it wasn't for Shane going hard on the Fed and WCW I wouldn't have taken him seriously as a main event guy. Him throwing the NWA title down to me was the first major pipebomb promo, you got to give him credit for that. His character peeled back the curtain a bit and gave fans a peek into the devious and overly political world of professional wrestling, it's the stuff dirtsheets are made of these days.

It was refreshing then, so you got to give Douglas more credit for that, HHH did the same thing but because it was after Douglas, it was after the damn near shoot promos HBK and Bret were doing on each other it wasn't as original but there it was an equally great move.
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Being from Philly, I sort of have a bias for ECW, watched it whenever I could, and it had a nice following here. A lot of their talent filled the seats in the big federations and brought them to the prominence that they were at during the 90's.

In any case, The Franchise was over big time, and was a great heel with how he worked the crowd. His match with Al Snow at the first PPV is a favorite, but I hated him in WCW.

I find it hilarious though that Triple H stole his image, and is a huge Flair follower, while the Franchise despises Flair with a passion.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Douglas in ECW, he was one of the few actual wrestlers in the company that was a natural fit for his role. He had been kicked around by both the major promotions and was ? off so he built a character around his frustrations.

HHH did the same thing just on a larger scale. "The Game" was built from his frustrations over being buried for two years.

To be honest they bruh needed it. Sometimes you have to let guys blow off steam and it changes fan perception...whether it should change or not.

I remembered Dean Douglas, as I was pretty much a WWF fan, and if it wasn't for Shane going hard on the Fed and WCW I wouldn't have taken him seriously as a main event guy. Him throwing the NWA title down to me was the first major pipebomb promo, you got to give him credit for that. His character peeled back the curtain a bit and gave fans a peek into the devious and overly political world of professional wrestling, it's the stuff dirtsheets are made of these days.

It was refreshing then, so you got to give Douglas more credit for that, HHH did the same thing but because it was after Douglas, it was after the damn near shoot promos HBK and Bret were doing on each other it wasn't as original but there it was an equally great move.

Well said. Hey you new WWE CM Punk fans, on 8.27.94 almost 20 years ago..
    Shane Douglas sends a message: ECW, Aug. 27, 1994: http://youtu.be/_kpEjrKqf3s
  • jono
    Options
    I thought that promo was funny as ? when I was younger, then I learned more about the history of the title and the company..doing that took the promo to the next level. It makes my soul burn. He ethered all those cats.

I wonder what Ricky Steamboat thought about this, he and Douglas were partners for years in WCW.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shane did more for ecw then HHH did for wwe. These are issues that newer wrestling fans won't understand.
  • jono
    Options
    Shane did more for ecw then HHH did for wwe. These are issues that newer wrestling fans won't understand.

You have to look at that in context though. What exactly was ECW before Shane Douglas? What was the WWE before HHH?

Douglas did a lot for a small, independent company that stayed small and independent. HHH helped keep the machine running another 15-20 years.

• DOPEdweebz
    Options
    ECW grew alot more from where it was when Shane Douglas was champ. Not his fault Heyman sucked with financial and he already left by mid to late 98.

Anyone remember Eastern Championship Wrestling in 93? It makes TNA impact look like the World Cup.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Well said. Hey you new WWE CM Punk fans, on 8.27.94 almost 20 years ago..
    Shane Douglas sends a message: ECW, Aug. 27, 1994: http://youtu.be/_kpEjrKqf3s

when i watch his "pipe bomb" at roh exercpt from his dvd, its almost as if he did it to pay homage to shane, even had the shane douglas colors on