Anyone plan on getting any of the Google Watches or the iWatch when it drops?

Options
The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm considering it. The Moto 360 looks nice, and the pricing isn't much worse than a nice standard watch.

Moto-369-pic8.jpg
Moto 360

samsung-gear-live-wm_2-640x426.jpg
Samsung Gear Live

ipod_nano_watchface_wrist.jpg
iWatch (speculation)

Comments

• whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    naw I cant see myself, for everyday rugged use I like casio and for other dressier stuff im a citizen man, simple citizen, just old school analog with the illuminated numbers none of that aviator ? .

I don't see the point in having a computer on your arm if that is what these watches do....first there were pcs, then laptops and smartphones, now tablets and phablets ? is ridiculous.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah...this is in the same category as tablets to me. Cool tech but unnecessary since I have gadgets that already serve the same purpose (laptop & iPhone)
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2014
    Options
    naw I cant see myself, for everyday rugged use I like casio and for other dressier stuff im a citizen man, simple citizen, just old school analog with the illuminated numbers none of that aviator ? .

I don't see the point in having a computer on your arm if that is what these watches do....first there were pcs, then laptops and smartphones, now tablets and phablets ? is ridiculous.

Yeah, I felt the same way too. Still do to some degree, but after watching the Google event I've changed my mind a little. They intend for their watches to be a compliment to your phone. For example, if you lock your phone, they are adding an option into Android to make it so that if your phone is in the vicinity of your watch, it will be automatically unlocked so you don't have to worry about entering the code.

They don't run full Android. They have a special OS. The point is that you use the watch to do little quick things so you don't have to pull out your phone. For me it would come in handy for work, because phones aren't allowed in a lot of the meetings and facilities I go. Since the watches don't have cams or recording capabilities, I should be able to keep them and at least stay somewhat connected.

Apple's approach is a little different though. It seems like the iWatch is supposed to run full iOS8. To me that seems to be a bit overkill. Like you guys said, I already got a phone with a bigger screen, I'm not looking to do smartphone ? on a little ass watch screen.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk it seems pointless but because I love new tech I'll probably end up copping.

If I were to get one it would be the moto 360 that ? clean af.

Won't cop one until I see what apple has in store tho. Also I'm not sure if android wear is compatible with iPhone so it really depends on what I decide to do with my upgrade in 2 months.
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chrome Moto 360 please.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems kinda like gimmick technology.

Basically a watch that does most of the things that can be done on your phone with a smaller screen.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    CJ wrote: »
    Idk it seems pointless but because I love new tech I'll probably end up copping.

If I were to get one it would be the moto 360 that ? clean af.

Won't cop one until I see what apple has in store tho. Also I'm not sure if android wear is compatible with iPhone so it really depends on what I decide to do with my upgrade in 2 months.

The Android watches don't work with iPhones, so yeah, you should wait til you figure out what you want to do with your upgrade.
    Crude_ wrote: »
    Seems kinda like gimmick technology.

Basically a watch that does most of the things that can be done on your phone with a smaller screen.

That's somewhat true, but not totally. I think it really depends on what you use your phone for, but some things would be better served on a watch than a phone. The Android watches aren't full Android. They are a stripped down version that was designed specifically to be a companion to your smart phone, not just another useless piece of tech.

For me, I was thinking of getting a new watch anyway. $200 isn't a lot to spend on a good one. Why not get one with a little extra functionality if it looks good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH1tkcD22Go
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I pray that ? aint too high.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I pray that ? aint too high.

I don't know about the iWatch but the LG and Samsung joints are on sale now for $200. The motorola one will be $250, and they just announce Asus will have one coming out this fall for $100.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^that's whats up.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, I felt the same way too. Still do to some degree, but after watching the Google event I've changed my mind a little. They intend for their watches to be a compliment to your phone. For example, if you lock your phone, they are adding an option into Android to make it so that if your phone is in the vicinity of your watch, it will be automatically unlocked so you don't have to worry about entering the code.

They don't run full Android. They have a special OS. The point is that you use the watch to do little quick things so you don't have to pull out your phone. For me it would come in handy for work, because phones aren't allowed in a lot of the meetings and facilities I go. Since the watches don't have cams or recording capabilities, I should be able to keep them and at least stay somewhat connected.

Apple's approach is a little different though. It seems like the iWatch is supposed to run full iOS8. To me that seems to be a bit overkill. Like you guys said, I already got a phone with a bigger screen, I'm not looking to do smartphone ? on a little ass watch screen.

okay for professional such as yourself I can kinda understand but for a factory 9-5er like myself it serves no purpose.
  • CJ
    Options
    Hmm I like asus might hold out longer to see theirs
  • CJ
    Options
    iwatch will be atleast $250
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i wasn't a fan of tabs until i actually had a need for it. we'll see if the same happens with these thangs...
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    add microsoft to the smartwatch race as well.

Surprise: Microsoft's working on a smartwatch of its own

Apple's reportedly working on one, Google's developing an entire ecosystem and hundreds of smaller companies either have products already on the market, or currently under development. The question isn't who's building a smartwatch, it's who isn't building one. And as expected, you can count Microsoft out of that latter camp. The software giant turned computer manufacturer is working on its own wearable concoction (not pictured above), according to a Forbes report, with Kinect engineers even pitching in with the project.

The unannounced device will reportedly collect health data day and night, such as your heart rate, and will work with Android, iOS and Windows Phones alike. It's also said to sport a design similar to Samsung's Gear Fit, a color touchscreen facing a wearer's wrist and a two-day battery. Opening the device up to multiple platforms would be a key selling point, and continuous monitoring could make the Microsoft wearable a fit for casual users and fitness buffs alike.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    add microsoft to the smartwatch race as well.

Surprise: Microsoft's working on a smartwatch of its own

Apple's reportedly working on one, Google's developing an entire ecosystem and hundreds of smaller companies either have products already on the market, or currently under development. The question isn't who's building a smartwatch, it's who isn't building one. And as expected, you can count Microsoft out of that latter camp. The software giant turned computer manufacturer is working on its own wearable concoction (not pictured above), according to a Forbes report, with Kinect engineers even pitching in with the project.

The unannounced device will reportedly collect health data day and night, such as your heart rate, and will work with Android, iOS and Windows Phones alike. It's also said to sport a design similar to Samsung's Gear Fit, a color touchscreen facing a wearer's wrist and a two-day battery. Opening the device up to multiple platforms would be a key selling point, and continuous monitoring could make the Microsoft wearable a fit for casual users and fitness buffs alike.

The fact that it works with all the major platforms could be a big plus.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah dont need it and im sure battery life is gonna suck
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »
    nah dont need it and im sure battery life is gonna suck

Reports are that you get a full day. That should be good enough for most.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man i was in the sprint store they got these watches advertised all over the store, trying to bundle it with a new phone purchase.

I think they realized the demand for it isnt as high as they thought it'd be. Doesnt seem like anybody is gettin em. You gotta be a certin level of ? to do the watch-phone thng.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Man i was in the sprint store they got these watches advertised all over the store, trying to bundle it with a new phone purchase.

I think they realized the demand for it isnt as high as they thought it'd be. Doesnt seem like anybody is gettin em. You gotta be a certin level of ? to do the watch-phone thng.

You've got it wrong. They are packaging them with phones because they are supposed to be companions to your phone and that's their whole marketing strategy. I don't think you have to be a ? to own one though. If ? can spend thousands on a wack with some shiny rocks, why not a couple hundred on one with functionality.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I consider watches to either be a fashion items or an investment, The iwatch seems tacky and disposable to I won't be buying one besides I already have a cellphone
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got the gear2 is cool, gives me something to play with. Makes using the phone in the car easier I just scroll through the contacts on my wrist and place the call
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw a couple of these at Best Buy. They have Cameras & Everything now. Pretty cool actually I might end up getting one
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    MrWise wrote: »
    Saw a couple of these at Best Buy. They have Cameras & Everything now. Pretty cool actually I might end up getting one

The ones with the cameras are the Samsung Galaxy Gear. They are a little different. They still run a version of Android, but it's not the version Google is really pushing.