*Spinoff from the BET awards* Where have all the female emcees gone?

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in The Reason
Now, like I posted in that thread, I didn't watch any of the show, with the exception of a 30 sec clip of Minaj getting her award for "Best Female Hip-Hop Artist". She then said she had won the award FIVE times.

From what I understand, she up against people who haven't put out anything in about a decade. Seriously...did Charli Baltimore really need to be on a list of nominees?

This bring me to ask: where ARE the female emcees? Seems like as Hip-Hip has gone down, the females in have crashed and burned. Honestly, who's left but Nikki, that no-talent Iggy chick, and some obscure white girl?

More importantly, how can this be fixed? Where will the next generation of "femcees" come from?

Comments

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? said EBT awards... gnite everybody.

But who were the nominees? Nicki bragging about winning that award is like a kid with Downs syndrome bragging about winning a spelling bee contest against a group of dyslexic kids.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Despite what most think on here, Nicki is dope imo. With that being said, the only potential comp she has currently is Iggy, and if they do "battle" on wax I think itll be good for female hiphop. Cuz they both have a big following and itlll bring more excitement to hiphop for the female fans.
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Females emcees are everywhere..
  • freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They shouldnt have a best female catergory.thats like havin a best white rapper catergory

Might as well make it best FOR a female catergory
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Dr.Evil wrote: »
    Despite what most think on here, Nicki is dope imo. With that being said, the only potential comp she has currently is Iggy.
    Stop. There.

That's the whole point.

Not too long ago, there was a decent number of female that we're putting out stuff, or at least on the scene: Trina, Jean Grae, Lady Luck, Remy (we all know she still got like half of her sentence to go), Shawna, and to a lesser extent, Foxy.

Where'd they go? And where's the next up-and-comers as far as the females who can rap and make a half-decent Hip-Hop cut?
  • ojos_negros
    ojos_negros Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nitty scott is supposed to be good but I still haven't listened to much from her

Other than that, f knows
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rah digga need to take advantage of this moment. She nice af.. AND with a good stylist, makeup ? , hair hoe, trainer, voice softener, ass injection & ? implants..she could look good under certain lighting. Busta fat ass still slacking though
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    I forgot about Trina, she's more like a female legend at this point. These award shows is all politics ,but she shouldve won one of those in the past 5 years.Almost er shorty I know ? with Trina heavy..

But yea, female rap has fallen df off.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's why I'm cheering for Katie Got Bandz this year. She's Nicki only true competition at this point. I would love to see her take the plastic filled ? down.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remy ma coming back
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rah digga need to take advantage of this moment. She nice af.. AND with a good stylist, makeup ? , hair hoe, trainer, voice softener, ass injection & ? implants..she could look good under certain lighting. Busta fat ass still slacking though

what? the bish is old now
  • EarPlug0128
    EarPlug0128 Members Posts: 282 ✭✭
    Options
    Gangsta Boo is still killing ? . I wanna hear that project with LaChat called Witch
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Love me some Nitty...peeped her mixtape earlier this year and it was solid
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nitty Scott MC, Snow Tha Product, Dreezy, Angel Haze etc. there are lot of females out, just because they are not on heard on a mainstream level, doesn't mean they are not out there
  • ojos_negros
    ojos_negros Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »

what? the bish is old now

Think you're missin the irony there
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You sipping the kool aid bruh ....... look at all the ? you want Digga to do and didn't mention anything about her bars ....... because she has lyrical skill .... but at the end of the day all you really want is eye candy ....... you killed your whole argument if you was up in here trying to rep for true female lyricist ..... smh
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nicki came at a perfect time where the youth are so impressionable and made it so she's the only thing that stands out and anything that tries to stand out with her is seen as a imitation of her so she's the only one that's gonna get that shine.....it use to be you could have more then one of a similar type of female mc but now ppl live through these artist and compete with one another over them these other females can't get any shine cuz as soon as they put heels on and spit a bar the "she tryna be Nicki Minaj" talk starts....
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    That's why I'm cheering for Katie Got Bandz this year. She's Nicki only true competition at this point. I would love to see her take the plastic filled ? down.

That btch sound lik she got down syndrome

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Worl'Boss wrote: »
    Turfaholic wrote: »

That btch sound lik she got down syndrome

Looks like it too.

I'm lowkey ? with the ?
  • keez.
    keez. Members Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw the list of nominees and thought "wtf", let's be honest, Folks, everyone has been brainwashed into thinking Minaj the ? is the best. If this was 88, she would get lost in the mix easily.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eternia is still the best Female MC I've Heard but she too lyrical.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kameron! wrote: »
    Love me some Nitty...peeped her mixtape earlier this year and it was solid

? dont hear you tho..
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gangsta Boo is still killing ? . I wanna hear that project with LaChat called Witch

Had to GOAT for that gif