SHOTS FIRED - "I Love Hot 97 Because They're About To Die Out"

Options
illedout
illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
buckshot-2014-06-26-300x300.png

[After getting into a publicized dispute with former Hot 97 program director Ebro,
Duck Down Records co-founder Buckshot gives SOHH readers his take on the iconic radio station.]

I love Hot 97 because they're about to die out.

They're like a broke cookie. You know what Hot 97 is like? They're like a sock with a hole in the back.
If you're struggling, you're going to wear it but at some point you gotta throw it out because the bottom of your feet are going to get ashy and ? up.

It's people leaving Hot 97 by the second.
Hot 97 is going to be like a dusty factory that was popping years ago like a relic.
You're going to take your kids past the building like, 'I remember when this place was bumping, honey.'

Everybody is going to Power 105 and I'm not pro-105 because I'm not fully aware of what they've got going on.
I know they support hip-hop.

But look, man, the only line is online. I told them, 'Y'all done!' Radio stations are done.
Radio station is like saying the word 'TV.' You got flat screens that they call 'flat screens' because the word 'TV' is so old that it reminds you of knobs.

In a minute, cable is going to be done. All the places that are not digital are going to be done.
We told people this 15 years ago when we created DuckDown.com.
We told them this was going to happen.

They would say, 'Get out of here. You're angry because you're not selling millions of copies,
what are you doing with that technology ? ? This is hip-hop.' Next thing you know, that's where we're at.
I always told them that underground was going to be here. The tunnels don't change but the trains do..

Comments

• qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tho they be on they bs I would hate to see hot 97 die out. If I was a intern I would try to step up and save the station.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its actually still amazing that hot 97 still has listeners in this day and age. Its also even more shocking that people fill up a football stadium for summer jam. When nearly every kid regardless of upbringing has access to a smartphone or laptop whats the point of listening to the radio for the same 3 edited songs. And in an era where summer jam shows are mere 30 second commercial performances and the same recycled acts why would people pay $200 and be stuck leaving and entering 95 for 2 hours in and out the place for such a lame show?
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    "They're about to die out". I wouldnt count on it. I think some people on the internet live a kind of shut in different kind of life for whatever reasons. People mostly listen to the radio in their cars to and from work. Like me and millions of others. Also when they go out to hear whats goin on. Sometimes people listen to it at home and other settings. There is a big world out there internet sticks in the mud have no pull. Not hatin or nothin but i be out and about...
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^Move That Dope
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    its actually still amazing that hot 97 still has listeners in this day and age. Its also even more shocking that people fill up a football stadium for summer jam. When nearly every kid regardless of upbringing has access to a smartphone or laptop whats the point of listening to the radio for the same 3 edited songs. And in an era where summer jam shows are mere 30 second commercial performances and the same recycled acts why would people pay $200 and be stuck leaving and entering 95 for 2 hours in and out the place for such a lame show?

The ?
  • Iceberg Slick
    Iceberg Slick Members Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i aint een from ny, but everytime i touchdown there power 105 be the station errybody including me prefer. errybody ? on ebro and the bald cracka jew. they out of touch and hot 97 bout to fold.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well. Buckshot makes better music than hot 97 does. So im taking buckshots side in this fiasco.

DUCK DOOOOOOWN
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Hot 97 been fell off
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even freestyles on Hot 97 fell off.
    I heard Troy Ave's Hot 97 freestyle & was ashamed that he's from NY
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Angie taking a lot of listeners with her too....who they get for that slot?
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i aint een from ny, but everytime i touchdown there power 105 be the station errybody including me prefer. errybody ? on ebro and the bald cracka jew. they out of touch and hot 97 bout to fold.

I don't believe that.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I grew up on Hot97. So I still listen out of habit. But the station just isn't the same anymore.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People say this like Power 105 is better both prime time set list are virtually the same only difference is the on air personalities... Also Unlike Hot 97, Power 105 don't play any local artist or any underground ? period.

Oh and when the Governor of NY and the State investigated Payola.. at both Stations guess which one was found to do it.. Wasn't Hot 97.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hot97>Power105 as far as music played, guys like Mister Cee, Flex and who ever spins after 10pm play good stuff sometimes

Power105>Hot97 as far as interviews
  • LouboutinGawd
    LouboutinGawd Members Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hot 97 still better than power 105
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maaan, as a marketing grad, this specific point is fascinating to me. Thats how entities die is not thru their core product, but lack of attention to detail for the minor inconveniences when everything is seemingly going great.

B/c once a competitor mirrors you AND eliminates what is your weakness, you die quick.

See Myspace, see Circuit City, see Blockbuster....i actually did a research paper on Blockbuster in 2004 about their 'upcoming' competitors. Blockbuster was runnin ? and underestimated how much people hated their lil return policies. Im goin on a tangent but yea Hot 97 is dying, lol
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If yall debatin hot 97 vs power 105, hes goin over your head. Radio period is dead. Satellite radio is good but the traditional radio station is done. Thats why these hosts are getting more and more radical and outspoken bc they wanna stand out for satellite.

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both stations suck
  • King Lee
    King Lee Members, Writer Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both stations play the same garbage only difference is Hot97 got some of the worst personalities. Their starting five is Ebro, Funk Flex, Cipha, Rosenberg, & Laura Styles. Lord Help them. Hot 97s morning show is called Ebro in the AM smh
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Satelite Radio is the spot to listen to all the music you need
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Two horrible identical stations. Power 105 has better interviews, but that's it. They play the same terrible songs and sometime they play the same terrible songs at the same time. It's a shame Hip Hop and R&B only have two major radio stations for the ENTIRE state to listen.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

believe it or not but the radio is still more accessible to a kid than internet .... it cost $$ to get online .... the radio still controls and is still what establishes some of the most biggest artist accross the country ...
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »

Maaan, as a marketing grad, this specific point is fascinating to me. Thats how entities die is not thru their core product, but lack of attention to detail for the minor inconveniences when everything is seemingly going great.

B/c once a competitor mirrors you AND eliminates what is your weakness, you die quick.

See Myspace, see Circuit City, see Blockbuster....i actually did a research paper on Blockbuster in 2004 about their 'upcoming' competitors. Blockbuster was runnin ? and underestimated how much people hated their lil return policies. Im goin on a tangent but yea Hot 97 is dying, lol

lol at the bolded blockbuster caught a big L by not adapting. Thats whats up i was a communication's major and business minor from 2008-12 so blee dat we have hella examples of businesses not adapting and getting clapped. But its so true.

And for ? who saying they going to these shows for the ? ...cmon bruh. For $200 you could rent a nice car and take your girl or a girl out to a nice resturant down the street and then smash at the end of the night. You going to summer jam for the ? paying $150 pert ticket $40 for parking and you bag her by the time oyu are able to leave the parking lot and get home its 5 a.m. cause of all the damn traffic leaving the meadowlands/95 traffic and that ? got work the next morning cause the damn show is on a Sunday night lol.

• rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Power 105 is winning because they have a bigger platform than Hot 97. Angie Martinezis going to mess around and have her show syndicated and on tv like The Breakfast Club. I often wonder where that show would be without Charlamagne(don't like him) People listen to see what he will say.. I feel like if XM offered him some sort of deal for good money he's on the first thing smoking lol