In their prime who gon win this fight: Ali or Tyson

Options

Comments

• Lustchyld
    Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    Ali would've had a better strategy/gameplan and would've been able to circumvent Tyson's brute force
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This again???

And Tyson beat a lot of bums....

I bet everybody that says Tyson probably hardly ever watched boxing back in the day.

Tyson got beat to sleep by Douglas. Dodged Holyfield for the longest then when he finally got in the ring with him Holyfield beat him like he stole some.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    Yeah Tyson was popping when the heavyweight division dry. Ali was fighting other greats. When he fought Holyfield he was on a mental decline. Lord knows I beat Ali silly on the fight nights tho.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    They gave Ali no hands on fight night, ? stay gettin dropped
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    The heavyweight division wasn't exactly dry when Tyson fought, but it is true that he didn't have any true tests until Holyfield and Lewis, both of which came well after his prime. Again though, criticizing his competition isn't all that convincing. Even if you believe everyone he fought was a ? , he absolutely destroyed them. That's still a testament to his ability. However, anyone that actually watched him fight should still know that Tyson was the truth. Lack of competition doesn't change the fact that he pretty much had perfect punching form, better head head movement and footwork than pretty much every heavyweight since Ali, and aggressiveness that a lot of fighters couldn't counter.

I still think Ali would win, but people downplaying Tyson because of his competition or lack thereof must only be looking at names on a stat sheet and not actual matches.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tyson beat Douglass

Can't tell me different
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ali
    R.D. wrote: »
    Tyson beat Douglass

Can't tell me different

There was this documentary about that fight. They said it was amazing Tyson lasted as long as he did in that fight. They said he came in out of shape, and none of the people working his corner had any experience doing that. They didn't even have ice packs. They basically ? rigged some by dumping some ice in condoms.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thought it was latex gloves they dumped the ice in
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    Tyson aint have the wind to dance wit that boy for no 8 rounds....at the same time all it would take was one of them cold ass uppercuts from Mike....but Ali was too slippery for all that...i guarantee Mike woula been ? off and tired by round 5 and just tackled that ? or sumn lol
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    T.Taylor wrote: »

George Foreman man...ali fought him in his prime and it was said by boxers who faced him that he(foreman) was the hardest puncher they ever fought....ali ko'd him, knocked him out! Tyson had strong hands i just never recall him beating anybody, he made alot of regular boxers look bad.

I hate when people say the bold. It's not like Tyson was out there fighting a bunch of bums. Sure they threw some cans in there to build his rep, but that's done with every boxer. Go check out the records of the people he beat though. Most of them were pretty cleanly on the winning side with decent amounts of pro fights under their belts. In pretty much all of his fights up til he became champion, he was the inexperienced and untested fighter in the ring.

And even if they were cans, he made them look like cans. There are a lot of great fighters out there who have been seriously tested by "regular boxers." Hell, Prime Ali got put on his ass by a ? . That was the inspiration for Rocky.

Lennox lewis and buster gave tyson hell cause they both had reach and could jab......Ali would've worked tyson bruh.

Come on son. The fight is about Tyson in his prime. How you going to bring up Lennox Lewis. Tyson wasn't even a tenth of the fighter he was by that time. Hell even with Buster, he was far from his prime. Dude wasn't even training. He basically freestyled that fight.

This is hard to say. I guess I'd give it to Ali though. Ali fought Frazier and Foreman so he'd at least have some idea of how to beat Tyson. James Tillis was the closest thing to Ali that Tyson ever fought, and he was one of the few people that Tyson couldn't KO.

Huh!?.....This makes no ? sense.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HafBayked wrote: »
    Tyson aint have the wind to dance wit that boy for no 8 rounds....at the same time all it would take was one of them cold ass uppercuts from Mike....but Ali was too slippery for all that...i guarantee Mike woula been ? off and tired by round 5 and just tackled that ? or sumn lol
    Word tell that to Joe Frazier.. about that slippery ?

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HafBayked wrote: »
    Word tell that to Joe Frazier.. about that slippery ?

The same guy he beat until he couldn't see?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tyson
    Ali's defense is pregnable
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The build up to a tyson vs ali fight would have been GOAT
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali, no doubt about it.

The first question I always ask people when they bring this is up, name even ONE heavyweight of Ali's caliber that Tyson beat.

No one has given me an answer yet.

I don't doubt Tyson's power or skill, especially when he was at the top of his gane, but let's face it, he beat a lot of jobbers.

Against a guy like Ali, especially Ali in his prime, Tyson would get worked.

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^boxing don't work that way sir
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ali

George Foreman man...ali fought him in his prime and it was said by boxers who faced him that he(foreman) was the hardest puncher they ever fought....ali ko'd him, knocked him out! Tyson had strong hands i just never recall him beating anybody, he made alot of regular boxers look bad.

I hate when people say the bold. It's not like Tyson was out there fighting a bunch of bums. Sure they threw some cans in there to build his rep, but that's done with every boxer. Go check out the records of the people he beat though. Most of them were pretty cleanly on the winning side with decent amounts of pro fights under their belts. In pretty much all of his fights up til he became champion, he was the inexperienced and untested fighter in the ring.

And even if they were cans, he made them look like cans. There are a lot of great fighters out there who have been seriously tested by "regular boxers." Hell, Prime Ali got put on his ass by a ? . That was the inspiration for Rocky.

Lennox lewis and buster gave tyson hell cause they both had reach and could jab......Ali would've worked tyson bruh.

Come on son. The fight is about Tyson in his prime. How you going to bring up Lennox Lewis. Tyson wasn't even a tenth of the fighter he was by that time. Hell even with Buster, he was far from his prime. Dude wasn't even training. He basically freestyled that fight.

This is hard to say. I guess I'd give it to Ali though. Ali fought Frazier and Foreman so he'd at least have some idea of how to beat Tyson. James Tillis was the closest thing to Ali that Tyson ever fought, and he was one of the few people that Tyson couldn't KO.

Huh!?.....This makes no ? sense.

What doesn't make sense about it? People like to say Tyson fought cans. Well he crushed most of those cans in under 5 rounds. So if they were cans he certainly handled them like an elite fighter is supposed to handle cans. Now look at other champions who have also fought cans and fighters who were believed to be well below their capabilities and still wound up being pushed to decisions. Like I said before, Ali fought a can and got put on his ass. That was a substantial enough feat that it lead to a blockbuster movie series. So using the "he didn't fight anyone" argument is pointless, because his performances in the ring were still exceptional.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tyson
    how many times we gonna do this thread?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tyson
    there are two major things people needs consider when talking about this fight..

mike's "prime" was when he was a kevin rooney fighter. from 85-88 MIke was the most dominant force boxing ever had, and it happened so quickly, people were scrambling with ways to maximize off of him.....and being that don king was his promoter, he needed constant 24/7 access to mike.....when rooney was in his corner, he could't get that.....so after the spinks fight...king had mike fire his entire corner......most boxing historians will tell you that right at that moment, mike's performance in the ring immediately started to decline....he didn't train the same, he didn't fight the same, he didn't protect himself anymore, his stamina took a huge hit...everything that made mike....mike.....took a major hit once his corner was replaced.....by the time he fought buster douglas he was a shell of his former self......the mike that rooney trained woulda easily coasted through douglas, holyfield, lennox, and pretty much anyone u put in front of him up into his 40's...he was that damn good....

but as it stands...mike's prime ended when he was only 21 when they took the corner that made him into a champion away from him.....

mike at 21.....with rooney in his corner would have been far too much for ali....

and i'll tell you why in my second point

joe fraizer anyone who knows anything about boxing will tell you styles make fights...and the fighter who gave ali the most fits out of any fighter int he world was joe fraizer...he was like ali's kryptonite.....he was fast, shorter,compact,strong, aggressive, unrelenting......and mike was everything fraizer was only intensified..and he also had ridiculous defense....

granted ali fought fraizer after his suspension (which is extremely significant) fraizer was just too much for him....

you can argue that ali's prime was before the suspension.....and you could also argue that had it not been for the suspension, ali might have fared better against fraiser....but i honestly beleive the style speed and raw power of fraizer is what did it...and a guy like mike who executed all that so much more efficently..and add in the fearlessness of the young....

i don't see an outcome where ali weathers a primed 21 year old rooney trained tyson
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tyson
    uncleruckus.jpg

What, what what, what? Oh, oh, oh, oh you wanna pull Ali out yo' ass? That what you thinkin' 'bout? Muhammad Ali? Well, if that ? so tough, then why he didn't go to Vietnam? I'll tell you why. 'Cause he was scared, that's why. Shoot. "No Vietnamese ever called me ? ." I call him a ? eight times before I have breakfast, now what he gon' do? Hold on, I'll make it nine... ? !
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ali
    DWO wrote: »
    there are two major things people needs consider when talking about this fight..

mike's "prime" was when he was a kevin rooney fighter. from 85-88 MIke was the most dominant force boxing ever had, and it happened so quickly, people were scrambling with ways to maximize off of him.....and being that don king was his promoter, he needed constant 24/7 access to mike.....when rooney was in his corner, he could't get that.....so after the spinks fight...king had mike fire his entire corner......most boxing historians will tell you that right at that moment, mike's performance in the ring immediately started to decline....he didn't train the same, he didn't fight the same, he didn't protect himself anymore, his stamina took a huge hit...everything that made mike....mike.....took a major hit once his corner was replaced.....by the time he fought buster douglas he was a shell of his former self......the mike that rooney trained woulda easily coasted through douglas, holyfield, lennox, and pretty much anyone u put in front of him up into his 40's...he was that damn good....

but as it stands...mike's prime ended when he was only 21 when they took the corner that made him into a champion away from him.....

mike at 21.....with rooney in his corner would have been far too much for ali....

and i'll tell you why in my second point

joe fraizer anyone who knows anything about boxing will tell you styles make fights...and the fighter who gave ali the most fits out of any fighter int he world was joe fraizer...he was like ali's kryptonite.....he was fast, shorter,compact,strong, aggressive, unrelenting......and mike was everything fraizer was only intensified..and he also had ridiculous defense....

granted ali fought fraizer after his suspension (which is extremely significant) fraizer was just too much for him....

you can argue that ali's prime was before the suspension.....and you could also argue that had it not been for the suspension, ali might have fared better against fraiser....but i honestly beleive the style speed and raw power of fraizer is what did it...and a guy like mike who executed all that so much more efficently..and add in the fearlessness of the young....

i don't see an outcome where ali weathers a primed 21 year old rooney trained tyson

Can't forget ? ' influence either. Don King would never have been able to get in between Tyson and Rooney if ? hadn't died.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ali
    Ali's more technical so yea.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    some_? ! wrote: »
    Ali's more technical so yea.

Wrong.
  • MR.CJ