Could You Ever Be A Public School Teacher? (I Couldn't Do It)

Options
GorillaWitAttitude
GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
Man it must suck to be a teacher bro. I know the ones in my area hardly make bank. I'm in the metro area too. Some teachers even told us they had second jobs. This was at my highschool I went to last year before starting college. Plus some teachers work overtime and still hardly make anything to live a great middle-class lifestyle. So, do you think teachers should make a lot more? Why or why not.

schoolteacher_thumb1.jpg11523040-large.jpgSecSciEd_teaching_group.jpg

Comments

• Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I don't think teachers - for the most part - are in the teaching game for the money, B. But no, as a whole I don't think teachers should make more money. I think Michelle Rhee's format should be instituted, remove tenure and pay the REALLY GOOD, ENGAGED teachers very well and pay the others who do the bare minimum the same they are getting paid now or a little more.

Yeah, I could be a teacher.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nope, i would want to fight my bad students....

Well I would if i could put my hand on them
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Part of the reason why I switched majors - teaching is not what I wanna go to school for

49284143.jpg
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    alg_fire_stuyvesant_high.jpgstuyvesant-hs.jpg

If I was teaching here, yeah.

alg-brooklyn-academy-of-gb-jpg.jpg?enlarged

The Brooklyn Academy of Global Finance at 125 Stuyvesant Avenue in Brooklyn is considered the most dangerous school in New York City.

At one of this ole ratchet ? schools, HELL-TO-THE-NAW. I'd ? one of those youngsters up.

A Brooklyn high school co-founded by Borough President Marty Markowitz is one of the most dangerous places to learn, a new Education Department survey shows.

Students at the Brooklyn Academy of Global Finance in Bedford-Stuyvesant face routine bullying, gang activity and a generally unsafe campus, according to the city's 2011 School Survey.

"The kids run wild, and the teachers are scared," said an administrator at the high school who asked to remain anonymous.

"It's like there are no rules here at all," she added.

At a glance: NYC's most dangerous schools:

At the Bronx Charter School for the Arts, 95% of pupils said, "students threaten or bully other students at school."

At the Globe School for Environmental Research in the Bronx, 46% of students said they stayed home because, "I don't feel safe at school."

At Brooklyn Academy of Global Finance, 92% of teachers said," crime and violence are a problem in my school."

At Andries Hudde junior high in Brooklyn, only 38% of students feel "safe in the hallways, bathrooms and locker rooms."

At the Automative High School in Brooklyn, 80% of students said, "there is gang activity in my school."
    Only half of parents of students at the school feel their child is safe, and 41% said bullying happens "often," the survey said.

Just 8% of teachers said they feel safe in the building, and 92% said that students are "frequently threatened or bullied."

Officials said safety incidents at the school - which opened in 2009, offering students courses in financial trading and Mandarin Chinese - increased last year, but administrators are working to address the issue.

More than 960,000 students, parents and teachers at city schools filled out the annual survey, in which they rate their perception of safety on their campus.

Another Brooklyn school, Andries Hudde junior high in Midwood, earned some of the survey's lowest marks for safety.

More than 90% of those students said they were bullied or threatened at least "some of the time" - and less than half said they feel safe in the hallways.

Luanise Jack, whose son Fred-Roy will be a seventh-grader this fall, said discipline is sorely lacking at the 1,091-student school.

"You go to that school and the children are running helter-skelter. They're not supervised," said Jack, whose daughter Fabiola graduated from Hudde in the spring.

School officials said administrators are working to improve teacher training and increase student involvement to improve discipline.

Education Department spokeswoman Margie Feinberg said the school survey is just one tool the city uses to work with school communities and the police to boost safety.

"The school survey provides us with important perspective on how individuals view issues such as the safety of their schools," said Feinberg.

Markowitz said he expects the school he helped co-found will get better this year with a new assistant principal for safety and a dean of students.

"I am excited with the progress and plans for next year at the Academy of Global Finance," he said.

"I think the leadership and their partners, New Visions for Public Schools, are clearly working to ensure this school will fulfill its mission - to make a career in finance a very real and exciting option for all of their students."

Source: Department of Education 2011 School Survey

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell no, I'd ? a kid up.

I already know I'd be that crazy teacher that scared the students and ? some of the female faculty members on the low.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont the patience to teach.
    i only have it with my kids and even then sometimes i need to check myself.

but if i did have the patience...i dont think i would want to.

its just not my thing.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope but plan to be a professor teach at a university.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Public sector baby sitters
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    I just couldn't do it because I feel teachers should get better pay for dealing with bad-ass kids. Youth Motivational Speakers make more just talking on a stage for 35 minutes. Sometimes I feel some teachers get the ? end of the stick.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    nope, i would want to fight my bad students....

Well I would if i could put my hand on them

I don't blame you
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »

lol you didnt do well in school huh

• LUClEN
    Options
    lordhonka2 wrote: »

The current curricula at the secondary level is incredibly dumbed down relative to what it used to be
    Seeing how useless a high school degree alone is it really is just baby sitting in a lot of ways for a lot of kids
  • lordhonka2
    Options
    been teaching for 10 years in one of the worst states to be a teacher, NC, and after 11 years i am ready to move on
    I can't raise a family on this money. If you are teacher in this state and you don't have a side hustle then you married money or came from it.

I love what i do however, this job gives you a chance to win everyday. you just garunteed a loss once a month when you get paid
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont got the patience for that ? .
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options

Oh ?
  • lordhonka2
    edited July 2014
    Options

The current curricula at the secondary level is incredibly dumbed down relative to what it used to be
    Seeing how useless a high school degree alone is it really is just baby sitting in a lot of ways for a lot of kids

thats only partly true. the curriculum for maths and sciences is not dumbed down there is a particular effort in STEM courses. also i high school degree was always useless if all you wanted to do was work. If, however you choose to go in to management or business it would be helpful (not always neccesary) to have higher learning. Not to mention medicine and science fields
  • lordhonka2
    Options

Oh ?

hypeman
  • LUClEN
    edited July 2014
    Options

thats only partly true. the curriculum for maths and sciences is not dumbed down there is a particular effort in STEM courses. also i high school degree was always useless if all you wanted to do was work. If, however you choose to go in to management or business it would be helpful (not always neccesary) to have higher learning. Not to mention medicine and science fields

Math has been dumbed down in some districts relative to what my teachers were doing and what kids who immigrate study before arriving

You mention higher learning but nowadays one does not even need a diploma to get into a lot of programs as they can apply as a mature student
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options

Oh ?

hypeman

Well you got me lol. Also, what you said was true about the highschool degree and higher learning.
  • twinzmom
    twinzmom Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I don't think teachers - for the most part - are in the teaching game for the money, B. But no, as a whole I don't think teachers should make more money. I think Michelle Rhee's format should be instituted, remove tenure and pay the REALLY GOOD, ENGAGED teachers very well and pay the others who do the bare minimum the same they are getting paid now or a little more.

How do you gauge that tho? Some kids and parents just done care. Teacher could go above and beyond and students still fail.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was. I quickly bounced but it kept money in my pockets
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    twinzmom wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »

How do you gauge that tho? Some kids and parents just done care. Teacher could go above and beyond and students still fail.

However, most teachers that i've seen haven't went above and beyond.