Steven Hawking says it's possible for life to come from nothing

Options

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Maybe it's possible there was a ? ,and it's now dead? I think about this sometimes
    seems inconsistent with the concept of a deity but i suppose it can't be PROVEN

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Maybe it's possible there was a ? ,and it's now dead? I think about this sometimes

Maybe we never had a ? but just some advanced life creator or force that's deceased or moved on. Who knows
  • dr funky resurrected
    dr funky resurrected Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    there is no such thing as nothing.

Not true, look at my bank account

Give me your ATM PIN and I will.

already gave it to the homeless guy who ? on my front door in the morning
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
    Who is Stephen Hawkins and what has he done to make me want to listen to his opinion?

he rolls on dubs
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options

Maybe we never had a ? but just some advanced life creator or force that's deceased or moved on. Who knows

aliens--31836.jpg
  • kingblaze84
    Options

aliens--31836.jpg

AHH now we're on to something here....
  • Big James
    Big James Members Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big James wrote: »
    Big James wrote: »
    Just because a ? ? can't move, it don't make him some sort of oracle. He isn't even the best in his field, he just gets the most notoriety because he is a ? .

And your occupation is...?

Why the ? would that matter to you? You ? FED!

Well, you're not a drug lord, so that's not an issue.

But how are you more qualified to speak on such things than Stephen Hawkings when you're probably an assistant manager at a Best Buy?

Chuckles at the manager from best buy line from the ? ? begging ? ? for their ATM pins online. Keep it pushing you ? parasite.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Life coming from "nothing" isn't even an accurate statement. Life is merely a collection of components, it's not hard to believe those components wouldn't at some point come together.

Besides what kind of life are we discussing here? Vegetation, aquatic creatures? We see creatures existing where we believe they shouldn't be able to all the time.

The theory that water came to this planet via a large icy comet smashing into it could explain where life came from. All the life we know on this planet needs liquids to exist, which is why we should be interested in planets that have bodies of liquids.
  • janklow
    Options
    seems somehow more plausible to me to say "go go deism" than some kind of "aliens made us in a test tube" thing

• dr funky resurrected
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Besides what kind of life are we discussing here?

Paying bills, getting laid ect
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
    Shopping at best buy...
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options
    seems somehow more plausible to me to say "go go deism" than some kind of "aliens made us in a test tube" thing

Perhaps both things are equally plausible? A "? " or "gods" that really were just advanced beings, that made aliens who later on helped engineer the progress of human beings, as all ancient cultures have stated in traditions. Aztecs, Dogon tribe of Africa, and others have basically said the same things. I tend to lean this direction but I'm open to all explanations. Even religious viewpoints may have a small basis in truth
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Shopping at best buy...

I laughed cuz I passed by Best Buy tonight, doubt I'll shop there again though. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone here....
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aliens are plausible as a ? in my opinion and even more so. Just the sheet amount of knowledge these civilizations had about planets far away we can just now see should spark some curiosity or be open minded about.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if aliens made man then who made the aliens?? it just shifts the ultimate question because if there is a ? ( there is) then who is to say that he did not simply use the aliens to create humanity as that was his plan all along,
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The idea that life needs a beginning is a bit flawed as it relies on an inductive assumption that because everything else has a starting point then life must too. But if everything has a cause for its existence then all you get at the end is an infinite chain of events causing other events. There is never any reason to think there is an actual starting point from whence everything else came.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    if aliens made man then who made the aliens?? it just shifts the ultimate question because if there is a ? ( there is) then who is to say that he did not simply use the aliens to create humanity as that was his plan all along,

The Aliens are eternal.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    All we have are theories.
  • dpresidential
    dpresidential Members Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    Options

This is a scary concept. Wow.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    And i mean theories in a philosophical meaning not scientific where they have to some sort of concrete and mathematical algorithm which we do not possess to say there are Gods or not so it's everyone guess work if we conclude they are higher than we can process their existence.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited September 2014
    Options

scientific theories are backed by actual facts rather then conjecture. It is a gestimation that can be scrutinized and expounded upon, but no one actually calls it the ultimate truth without challenge and further testing. There actually is no unified theory of everything presented as Scientific Laws unless you count such concepts that would fall more under sudo-Science.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

scientific theories are backed by actual facts rather then conjecture. It is a gestimation that can be scrutinized and expounded upon, but no one actually calls it the ultimate truth without challenge and further testing. There actually is no unified theory of everything presented as Scientific Laws unless you count such concepts that would fall more under sudo-Science.

I just wrote that, like literally lol @FuriousOne‌
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

I just wrote that, like literally lol @FuriousOne‌

Ok, and i just read it. Want a cookie?
  • janklow
    Options
    Perhaps both things are equally plausible?
    nope.
    of course, my standard position is to call aliens ? and watch people who rip religious beliefs get the MOST hurt feelings when their unprovable alien beliefs get disrespected.
    Aztecs, Dogon tribe of Africa, and others have basically said the same things.
    now did the Aztecs say this, or did people look back at X and Y tribe and theorize "well, what they're talking about is aliens!"

plus, zombie touched on this: the debate about the existence of a deity (or deities or whatever) is not the exact same thing as debating whether or not aliens seeded the earth or some other intricate scenario that seems primary based on the overly-detailed narratives of people who claim to have been probed.
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
    Watching "the unbelievers" right now. Our minds can't grasp that something can come from nothing. Yet, only a few minds in the world can.

Just like how minds couldn't grasp the world wasn't flat 1,000 years ago, people said it's impossible that the world is round. Then we were proved wrong.

These are facts.