strong offense and weak defense

and why?

one cant stop scoring but cant stop no one from scoring,

the other can stop people from scoring but cant score

or you can punch but can defend or can defend but cant punch

what would you rather have? 26 votes

Strong offense, weak defense
30%
GlockLesnar BDBIIDits....JOHN BMister B.Young_ChitlinYoung GunnerTrillfatebignorm 8 votes
Strong defense, weak offense
69%
white7155th Letterthe ghostChef_Taylor themadlionsfanhueygman82KINGECSo ILLgoldenjanumbaz...80's babyBuilt 4 cuban linxIgot5onitTheIraqsilverfoxxblu197O.G.Ghost313 18 votes

Comments

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You can't win a Super Bowl without scoring. As high on D as I am, I've seen team win titles with high-powered Offenses and ? defenses, namely when the Packers won the Bowl with Gawdgers against the Steelers.

And as good as some defenses are, most run into that one offense in the playoffs that bests them for that one game (2006 Bears losing to P. Diddy and the Colts in SB)

I don't count Seattle - as All-World as that D is - in this category cause their offense is potent.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships. (ask Dan Fouts or last years Broncos)
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    You can't win a Super Bowl without scoring. As high on D as I am, I've seen team win titles with high-powered Offenses and ? defenses, namely when the Packers won the Bowl with Gawdgers against the Steelers.

And as good as some defenses are, most run into that one offense in the playoffs that bests them for that one game (2006 Bears losing to P. Diddy and the Colts in SB)

I don't count Seattle - as All-World as that D is - in this category cause their offense is potent.

The Packers led the league in takeaways that year.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Being a fan of the Bears I've been through the good defense and wack offense and now good offense and wack defense. They both suck
  • O.G.
    Options

and that Super Bowl was decided by turnovers.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options

They were also ranked #32 in total defensive yards. And they beat the team that was ranked #1.

defensive rankings in 2011.
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    Takeaways that lead to points >>>>> any ranking in total defense

defense isn't just about preventing yardage.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »

Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships. (ask Dan Fouts or last years Broncos)

floyd mayweather
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    pralims wrote: »

floyd mayweather

Floyd isn't strictly a defensive fighter though. He never gets enough credit for his offense.
  • O.G.
    Options
    pralims wrote: »

floyd mayweather

Floyd isn't strictly a defensive fighter though. He never gets enough credit for his offense.

imo his great defense allows his offense to be so good. (counter punching & footwork)
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ravens and Bucs showed us that you can have a mediocre offense but if that defense is lights out you could beat ANYBODY.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? outscoring a ? . Keep them from scoring more than you.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Offense, and that's not to say its more important, the thing is you can have a great de but if they are always on the field because the offense is so putrid then they are going to get worn down and their not going to be able to keep stopping the opposing team, if you have an unstoppable offense then you can at least out score most teams and keep the defense off the field and hope they can make at least one critical stop, but if you got a little more into detail I might take the defense, if I have a game manager as a qb who doesn't light it up but doesn't turn it over and the team has at least a decent running game and a good kicker, but if I have Rex Grossmam then nah
  • O.G.
    Options
    A lot of good offensive teams have come from teams that play in domes and warm weather. When December and the playoffs roll around them offenses get slowed down.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ravens win with a average defense

Giants win two with a average defense with a great pass rush.

Saints won with a average defense and lights out offense. We ran the ball a lot that year.

Packers defense was trash.

The tide is turning. Offense is needed more then defense these days.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lights out offense that can run the rock >
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You take the strong offense due to the low number of franchise QB's. A lot of these Geno Smith ? cant match you score for score, even against air.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A solid defense that can keep offenses in check and score on occasion off of turnovers >>>>>>>>>>>>
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Easy answer, all you need to do is look at last years SuperBowl... Historically great offense against an above average defense, look what happened... Also the same story with the 07 Pats (best offense i've seen in my life) vs Giants...

Great Offense can beat great Defense on occasion but you need more luck on your side (flags,perfect accurate throws for over 90% of the game,extremely hard catches being caught ect.) the odds are just more in favor of Defense getting the W especially when the great O has a D that can't stop ? ...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    I'd take a team that's 70% offense to 30% defense over a team that's 70% defense to 30% offense if that makes sense.

it actually does....

but i was waiting for someone to ask....how strong is the weakness.

when you think about it....the pluses dont matter....what matters is how strong the weakness is.
  • blu197
    edited October 2014
    Options

The choice this poster chose and the poster himself is exactly why "Strong Defense,weak Offense" is the better option...

Dude is an Eagles fan and believes Great O is superior to Great D, the Eagles for majority of their franchise history has been a Great O sub-par D team, look how many superbowls that franchise won..

• blu197
    Options
    Didn't i say "MAJORITY" of their franchise history? So unless the Eagles got established in 2002 what exactly was the point of your post other than to make a useless point...