Marvin Gaye Family Wins First Legal Battle Against Robin Thicke, Pharrell, & T.I.

Options

Comments

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    He sampled/interpolated without giving credit its that simple

Pharrell did not sample anything

It's an original song inspired by the groove of Marvin's
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    listen to the beat piece by piece and you can tell they lifted this song its hard at first to tell

Only to the untrained ear.

More than one musicologist has stated the actually notes don't match

But there's no question the 2 songs have the same "vibe" and groove

(which WAS the intent of "Blurred Lines")

What does that even mean though?

If the composition is not the same it would seem they have no case
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Its an interpolation and there have been similar cases to this before
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can see the similarities... i can see differences.. imo it's REALLY CLOSE to a sample... but it's not...
  • LUClEN
    Options
    However, he said the jury would have to limit the analysis to how the compositions appear on sheet music, not how the two songs sound to listeners.

Thicke and Pharrell will win if this is the case
  • a.mann
    Options

Its an interpolation and there have been similar cases to this before

Damn near every musicologists that looked into this case have agreed that the compositional elements of the 2 songs at DO NOT match.

Again Pharrell undoubtedly borrowed production elements from Marvin's song: The "feel",vibe and groove

These ARE NOT aren't copyrighted - only the sheet music material is copyrighted.

That's all that will be compared at the trial. And the sheet music for the 2 songs DO NOT match up.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    However, he said the jury would have to limit the analysis to how the compositions appear on sheet music, not how the two songs sound to listeners.

Not necessarily, for example take Slow Jamz by Kanye and A House is Not a Home by Luther Vandross. Clearly a sample by the sheet music would be vastly different
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    listen to the beat piece by piece and you can tell they lifted this song its hard at first to tell

They stole it
    zombie wrote: »
    Looking at this case and people reactions...
    the only real problem here is it was a white boy that sung this song

Had it been D'Angelo or a Usher......

You wouldn't hear cries to burn damn the whole damn house just to spite "blue eyed soul"

you are correct and that's how it should be no more stealing our ?

And then they had the nerve to not only pay or try to work out a deal but to sue the Great Marvin Gayes estate? Bo more samples for you T.I. you either pharell.

Pay your fare!
  • a.mann
    Options

Not necessarily, for example take Slow Jamz by Kanye and A House is Not a Home by Luther Vandross. Clearly a sample by the sheet music would be vastly different

bruh...... :-<
  • a.mann
    edited October 2014
    Options

What does that even mean though?

If the composition is not the same it would seem they have no case

Technically and objectively speaking, they shouldn't have a case.....at all

The Gayes main augment bores down to "Blurred Lines" sounds like a song Marvin WOULD/COULD have made......

• a.mann
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Pharrell Opens Up About “Blurred Lines” Lawsuit

http://krnb.com/antoine-davis/2013/09/15/pharrell-opens-up-about-blurred-lines-lawsuit/
    If you believe it or, not that Pharrell Williams sampled Marvin Gaye’s “Got To Give It Up” He’s speaking out about it. They’ve already offered Gaye’s family a six figured settlement that they turned down….Nonetheless, this is what Pharrell had to say about it.

“All you have to do is read the sheet music,” he told the Associated Press. “It’s completely different.”
    “[Marvin Gaye] is the king of all kings, so let’s be clear about that,” Pharrell said, before insisting that, “anybody that plays music and reads music, just simply go to the piano and play the two. One’s minor and one’s major — and not even in the same key.”

Pharrell produced the song, which also features T.I., and provided vocals. All three men have writing credit for it.

“Got to Give It Up,” which topped the Hot 100 in the ’70s, was written by Gaye, who also performed the lead vocals, background vocals and instrumentation, alongside several other musicians and members of his family.

Motown producer and engineer Art Stewart oversaw the production of “Got to Give It Up"

• goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if this song is this complicated to tell the difference from marvin gayes version.. its defiantly a sample lol
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    you know what @amann you're right, under the letter of the law they should be able to dismiss the Gaye family's allegations. But i still believe its an interpolation and credit should be given to Marvin Gaye . and i hope Pharrell has a better defense than its in a minor key lmao
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    hopefully the Gaye family takes a few bucks and fixes up Marvin Gaye Park....got to be the shittest park in the world & DC ain't fixing that ? up
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I could tell from the jump it was Marvin, and I hated that damn song. Every old head spot in Chicago was playing that ? ass song
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The excuse didnt work for vanilla ice when he sampled under pressure and it shouldnt work now.

? outta here.
    I seem to remember hammer getting slammed for ruining superfreak.

vanilla ice said the beat was different because "ice ice baby" had cymbals in the beat while "under pressure" didn't... *shrugs*
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you know what @amann you're right, under the letter of the law they should be able to dismiss the Gaye family's allegations. But i still believe its an interpolation and credit should be given to Marvin Gaye . and i hope Pharrell has a better defense than its in a minor key lmao

If that's the case every rapper should have to give credit when they "borrow" a style or line from one of their predecessors. It's not copyright violation to be influenced.Whole genres are built off that. I'm sure this will be thrown out.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so was it in fact sampled? or is it an interpolation?
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    good... just cause i thought the song was terrible
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The excuse didnt work for vanilla ice when he sampled under pressure and it shouldnt work now.

? outta here.
    I seem to remember hammer getting slammed for ruining superfreak.

vanilla ice said the beat was different because "ice ice baby" had cymbals in the beat while "under pressure" didn't... *shrugs*

Yeah he did then but now he can even admit it.