Derrick Rose Speaks On Being Soft About Playing

Options
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
This is excatly why i would never build a team around this frail ass ? .

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/derrick-rose-on-why-he-sits-out-of-games-when-he-s-injured---i-m-thinking-about-after-i-m-done-with-basketball-224637968.html

Derrick Rose didn’t do himself any favors by honestly speaking on the record with ESPN’s Nick Friedell on Tuesday, but it’s exactly that sort of perspective that leads to the comments from Derrick Rose that you’re about to read. He doesn’t care what you think about him, and he’s going to be honest about how he goes about his job, even if it leaves him prone to criticism from the sorts of people that think constantly playing through injuries is the right way to run a season, a career, or a life.

From Friedell’s talk, following a light practice for Rose’s Chicago Bulls on Tuesday:

Rose: "I know a lot of people get mad when they see me sit out or whatever, but I think a lot of people don't understand that ..."

Rose: "When I sit out it's not because of this year. I'm thinking about long term. I'm thinking about after I'm done with basketball."

Rose: "Having graduations to go to, having meetings to go to, I don't want to be in my meetings all sore."

Rose: "Or be at my son's graduation all sore just because of something I did in the past. (I'm) just learning and being smart."

Rose, you’ll recall, was shamed into returning way too early from dual ankle sprains earlier in the season, working in a needless November game against Milwaukee at, in his estimation, 50 percent. Rose then sat the next two contests against Philadelphia and Boston – two of the East’s worst teams – before returning for a very Derrick Rose-like performance against the Detroit Pistons on Monday.

It doesn't matter that the games in question involved missed contests against the lowly Orlando Magic, Celtics and 76ers. It doesn't matter that the two games Rose returned for were against rebuilding franchises in Detroit and Milwaukee. Chicago has enjoyed a cupcake schedule of late, but even if the heavy-hitters were in town … this doesn’t matter.

Derrick Rose needs to be at his absolute best in April, May and hopefully June. Ankle sprains can nag for an entire NBA season if not treated and rested properly, and it’s not to Rose’s discredit as an unlucky, technically injury-prone player that he came down on someone’s foot in a game on Halloween night, and then exacerbated the problem by overcompensating and spraining the other ankle. Derrick Rose shouldn’t have returned for that Milwaukee game, and he shouldn’t have been shamed for not playing on two sprained ankles against the Orlando Magic last week.

What he should have done was rested. And what he should CONTINUE to do is be open and honest about not wanting to risk further injury (and, likely, hurting his team with subpar play along the way) by suiting up while injured. If you’ll recall, Rose played just about the entirety of the compressed 2011-12 NBA schedule with various injuries, and that run ended with an ACL tear during the first game of that season’s playoffs.

There’s no direct link between working through those injuries, or the fatigue from that lockout-inspired schedule, and the freak move that led to Derrick’s ACL tear. There is no direct correlation between that ACL tear and the freak stop and start that led to Derrick’s meniscus tear from last season. And there is no direct link between those massive injuries and the unfortunate incident that saw Rose come down on an opponent’s foot a week and a half ago.

These are frustrating plays, but they are basketball plays. They are par for Derrick Rose (and any other player’s) particular course.

Those players, including Rose, have to sit games out. Rose’s injuries in 2012 and 2013 were unfortunately timed for a number of reasons, knocking Derrick in essence out of games for two full seasons. This adds to the nervy feeling Bulls fans have in regards to their hometown superstar, and it’s understandable.

That doesn’t mean Derrick Rose should have to apologize one bit for sitting out a game against the Philadelphia 76ers in November because of two sprained ankles as he looks to the rest of this season – or the rest of his life.

Comments

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At least learn how to spell first
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • RiGGA
    RiGGA Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Misspelling the name of the most valuable player 3 years ago of the league YOU claim to be a fan of only makes you look like an idiot..

Ain't like his name is Makhbar Asheem-Alakufi or some ? ... it's Derrick Rose b
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Lol thread backfire
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    it's funny how nobody has actual points to defend rose. I will spell his name correct when he actually steps up and puts 100% to leading his team.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was already posted and discussed

Get off Derrick Rose's ? . Isn't there some hockey thread somewhere
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Chi ? in here mad lol

if this was about lebron or harden or kd they would be going in. But these chi ? giving d-rose hella passes for being soft. tiny wes welker got more stones then this clown and wes will have long term implications from his cocussions.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Naw ? , that's some ? ? that only you do when a ? gets injured and you run in threads celebrating
  • RiGGA
    RiGGA Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    Beta wrote: »
    Chi ? in here mad lol

if this was about lebron or harden or kd they would be going in. But these chi ? giving d-rose hella passes for being soft. tiny wes welker got more stones then this clown and wes will have long term implications from his cocussions.
    RiGGA wrote: »
    Aight what the ? Rose. ? need to talk to an advisor before he ever speaks publicly. Even if that is how he feels, why the ? would he think saying that ? would make people be like "oh okay that's understandable" FOH. ? getting paid 8 digits to play the game and he knew that ? comes with risks. I don't wanna be sore bruh ? yo self. I've had enough. Give a damn if I knew that ? since grammar school or not dude is acting like a ? ? & at this point id take Westbrook's gunning ass over this ? . I don't give a ? what Bulls fan gets mad ? im not a player -fan I care about my organization and this dude here is being ridicoulous.

And whoever reads this post and tries to interpret it as I think he shouldn't care about his health can eat a ? , nh considering my avi

You'd know if you were an actual fan of the sport and read the official nba thread, instead of hopping on the next man's ? . My avatar probably turns you on, ?
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I keep tellin y'all Derrick Rose is a ? mental midget. But y'all keep thinkin these ? don't talk because they're "humble"
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I love Rose but just dont talk.....anything you say and do will be used against you....It would have been better talking long term for April not 20 years from now
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I keep tellin y'all Derrick Rose is a ? mental midget. But y'all keep thinkin these ? don't talk because they're "humble"

Mentally challenged.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    all i still see are personal attacks about me. oh look a hockey joke a joke about not being a "real fan" a joke about being on rose ? (when yall the cats on his ? defending him). I wish no injury on no player but enough is enough. This guy took time off recovered and still is not stepping up to the plate to help his team the best he can. And as an alleged leader of the team his confidence is mia. I was a fan of dude early in his career. But now this guy has shown too many flaws to be the guy to build around.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Derrick rose been playing 7 years...that ? flew
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So do you go out and play on sprained ankles because I sure don't so I won't say nothing when somebody else don't. Nobody in Chicago thinks Rose is the leader of the team, that title goes to Noah.

My only problem with dude was not returning from that ACL when he clearly could have did so before the playoffs started other than that the ? just had some ? up luck
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rose is a ? . nuff said. he couldnt have came from the southside. im more southside than this ? and i aint even from the chi
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most talented player on my squad just openly admits that he doesn't want to be sore in meetings after basketball. I salute him for long term thinking, but I think that statement just confirmed we ain't seeing a ring if it means him digging deep.

He's Corbin Bernsen's (sp?) character from Major League at this point.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    So do you go out and play on sprained ankles because I sure don't so I won't say nothing when somebody else don't. Nobody in Chicago thinks Rose is the leader of the team, that title goes to Noah.

My only problem with dude was not returning from that ACL when he clearly could have did so before the playoffs started other than that the ? just had some ? up luck

Rose is getting paid the most and is the point guard of that team he needs to be the leader.

hes back form the sprained ankle talking about wanting to take games off for his kids graduation that's my issue. if you are back and 100% ready to go you need to get all the time you can get. Other players for the bulls have fought through injuries and played through them during the playoffs the last 2 years. Including Noah. To me rose is more worried about his brand (which is why he played usa basketball overseas) than his team. I respect the other bulls players who are giving more and getting less pay in many cases. But Rose isn't putting as much as the other players right now.

• Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This just comes across as highly ignorant and misinformed. Anyone who plays basketball as long and as frequently as he has is going to deal with aches and pains later in life, no way around it.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chi town is a ?
This discussion has been closed.