People Have Taken It Upon Themselves To Get Racist Whites Fired With #RacistsGettingFired

Options

Comments

• Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The free speech concept was only meant to apply to governmental action. Your employer can fire you at any time for (almost) any reason.

I don't know about other states but here in Texas your employer don't need a reason to fire you.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The free speech concept was only meant to apply to governmental action. Your employer can fire you at any time for (almost) any reason.

I don't know about other states but here in Texas your employer don't need a reason to fire you.

Yeah, I qualified it bc there are certain exceptions (ie racial or gender discrimination if you can prove it)
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bignorm wrote: »
    what about free speech guys?

People are free to say what they want.
    Others are free to respond.
    Their employers are free to fire them, for their free speech.

Not if its benign

If I say I'm a pats fan you can't fire me as my employer for that
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »

Not if its benign

Actually they can. Let's say you work for the Jets organization, they could fire you for a FB post celebrating a Pats win over the Jets...if they wanted to.

I didn't think of those kinds of instances

If I'm just a salesman at a store or an insurance broker or something irrelevant statements about personal preferences are not solid grounds for termination though

• LUClEN
    Options
    But exactly which one of u idiots utilize crackas and other racially derogatory terms on ur facebook or twitter? The IC is the only place I see ppl publicly using words like that and the IC is pretty insulated

Six's license plate is KillCacs
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options

First Amendment rights only restrict the government, so these private corps can fire you for most reasons except discrimination on race, gender, sexual orientation etc.
  • LUClEN
    edited November 2014
    Options

Wrongful termination exists
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options

No

Yes, based on discrimination but not on free speech.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Options

Not if its benign

Actually they can. Let's say you work for the Jets organization, they could fire you for a FB post celebrating a Pats win over the Jets...if they wanted to.

If I'm just a salesman at a store or an insurance broker or something irrelevant statements about personal preferences are not solid grounds for termination though

Yea but an employer doesn't need "solid grounds" to fire. Like dude said a min ago, do some research on 'at-will employment.'
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good to see nignogs finally learning to use the internet.
  • LUClEN
    Options

Not if its benign

Yea but an employer doesn't need "solid grounds" to fire. Like dude said a min ago, do some research on 'at-will employment.'
    At-will employment is a term used in U.S. labor law for contractual relationships in which an employee can be dismissed by an employer for any reason (that is, without having to establish "just cause" for termination), and without warning.

It refers to specific contracts

Normally they need just cause
  • LUClEN
    Options

No

Yes, based on discrimination but not on free speech.

There is a just cause requirement in many places
  • LUClEN
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I just remembered you guys have ? laws
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? have went fool blown ? on my fb... i been exposing all of these ? too
  • Rubato Garcia
    Options

Not if its benign

At-will employment is a term used in U.S. labor law for contractual relationships in which an employee can be dismissed by an employer for any reason (that is, without having to establish "just cause" for termination), and without warning.

Nope. 99% of the jobs out there at at will. Contract workers are actually the exception. The "contract" term in your post is general term because all employees technically are under contract whether expressed or implicit.
  • LUClEN
    Options

Not if its benign

Nope. 99% of the jobs out there at at will. Contract workers are actually the exception. The "contract" term in your post is general term because all employees technically are under contract whether expressed or implicit.

At will doesn't exist here
    we have Just cause

Again, you guys have ? laws
This discussion has been closed.