Can Earth survive without religion or belief in ? ?

Options
dr funky resurrected
dr funky resurrected Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
Yes or No and why?

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what do you mean by "earth" do you mean the planet or human society and if you mean human society do you mean our current global one or just human society in general.
  • whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Since human society existed prior to the invention of ? , it will exist after the idea fades.
  • zombie
    Options
    whar wrote: »
    Since human society existed prior to the invention of ? , it will exist after the idea fades.

just about all human societies in recored history have had gods
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Possible yes, will ya happen, more than likely no. ? is grace and understand and comfort and a shield. Humanity desires that strongly. Why do you think so many religions, off-shoots of religions, and cults pop up. We need answers and hope and security.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OF COURSE..

THERE ARE MILLIONS OF PEOPLE THAT DONT BELIEVE IN ? OR GO TO ANY TYPE OF CHURCH AND ? STILL SHINE HIS LIGHT ON THEM.

NOW WHEN THEY DIE, THATS A DIFFERENT STORY

• Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Earth" doesn't have beliefs
  • REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It would help humanity unite or at least make it easier.

• zombie
    Options
    The planet doesn't need religion it needs morals, and if you lack morals you don't lack religion, you lack a conscience.

Those without a conscious may need religion more than everyone one else
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Earth would do just find without religion, it's done so since the beginning of time.

With human society the main purpose of religion is to keep people in line. Controlling the masses. ? (s) are like Santa Claus from grown ups. It's mainly a code of conduct to keep people from fighting each other over the last piece of bread.

Without it human society would be a more extreme and blunt version of survival of the fittest.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is like asking if Magic Johnson can survive with ? .
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Human's always believe in a creative creator force. A deity like Yahweh, nah that wasn't always the case,but a deity like Amun something unknowable in it's fullness but everything in life is expressed through itself was the thinking. Like for example in the Orisha religion the orisha are expressions of Olumdare and through the creator all existence is an expression of itself, we are just the creator living in smaller pieces living a human experience.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    The planet doesn't need religion it needs morals, and if you lack morals you don't lack religion, you lack a conscience.

The only reason a person without a conscience needs religion is too hide. A bible isn't going to teach someone to have a conscience. Yeah they could 'learn' wrong or right, doesn't mean they agree and if they don't agree why follow it? They also hide behind other positions of piety or power.
  • zombie
    Options

The only reason a person without a conscience needs religion is too hide. A bible isn't going to teach someone to have a conscience. Yeah they could 'learn' wrong or right, doesn't mean they agree and if they don't agree why follow it? They also hide behind other positions of piety or power.

For people with no conscious teaching them right from wrong is useless. it's getting them to self regulate their behavior that counts. Anyway I was talking about the average person not the hierarchy Hiding behind priestly garments
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options

For people with no conscious teaching them right from wrong is useless. it's getting them to self regulate their behavior that counts.

Anyway I was talking about the average person not the hierarchy Hiding behind priestly garments

Why would they self regulate their behavior according to a book they don't agree with or moral laws they agree with? Just because you or some book says to? That's the entire issue. They don't give two ? about those rules and don't follow them. Or they follow them to the extent of furthering their goals.

It was a side note.
  • zombie
    Options

Humanity will never unite that's a pipe dream for one thing religion already exists different races exists so we are divided
  • REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Humanity will never unite that's a pipe dream for one thing religion already exists different races exists so we are divided

Well I guess we should just keep on keeping on towards extinction. Do not take my statement as idealism, I have no problem standing by while we destroy ourselves. You're right it is a Pipedream. I should had made my sarcasm a bit clearer.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Because Christianity doesn't divide.
    Revelation 21

He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their ? and they will be my children. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur.
    Pipe dream.
  • zombie
    Options
    Because Christianity doesn't divide.
    Revelation 21

He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their ? and they will be my children. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur.
    Pipe dream.

? actually divided man so the kind of unity I think people are talking about in this thread would not be something he would support.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no singular entity known as ? .

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Humans could survive without religion, many nations around the world have large amounts of non-religious people and they seem orderly enough. The real question is, how secure would many people feel without it. I used to feel insecure about being non-religious but after awhile, I realized I felt much stronger relying on myself and actual people compared to an invisible being in the sky. I'm always amazed at people who say they feel strength from worshiping an invisible ? , because I felt weaker as a person doing the same.
  • zombie
    edited December 2014
    Options

For people with no conscious teaching them right from wrong is useless. it's getting them to self regulate their behavior that counts.

Anyway I was talking about the average person not the hierarchy Hiding behind priestly garments

Why would they self regulate their behavior according to a book they don't agree with or moral laws they agree with? Just because you or some book says to? That's the entire issue. They don't give two ? about those rules and don't follow them. Or they follow them to the extent of furthering their goals.

It was a side note.

because to a religious person you obey your understanding of the doctrine regardless of how you may feel because you believe ? wants you too. So even if they don't care about the rules right away, once people believe they become more inclined to obey those rules. and slowly over time doing what the doctrine teaches becomes easier.

This is how people can cut heads off or strap bombs to themselves or even give all there money to the poor or killers truly repent. Religion once you start to practice it, it changes you OR IT CAN change some people in a way that no other ideology can , the way you think, talk and eat all that can change even the people who hang out with and the places you go change.

the bolded only applies to people who have false faith i am talking about people who really believe
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    because to a religious person you obey your understanding of the doctrine regardless of how you may feel because you believe ? wants you too. So even if they don't care about the rules right away, once people believe they become more inclined to obey those rules. and slowly over time doing what the doctrine teaches becomes easier.

This is how people can cut heads off or strap bombs to themselves or even give all there money to the poor or killers truly repent. Religion once you start to practice it, it changes you OR IT CAN change some people in a way that no other ideology can , the way you think, talk and eat all that can change even the people who hang out with and the places you go change.

the bolded only applies to people who have false faith i am talking about people who really believe

Yeah I see what you're saying, but our exchanges started off specifically talking about people who lack a conscience.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Poorly worded question. The Earth existed billions of years before humans much less religion arrived. I assume you mean society. Of course, humans, even in primitive hunter and gather tribes didn't need a holy book to tell them that killing other people was bad. In fact, religion retards society morally and technologically. Look how scientific advancement halted when religion ruled western society. we call this period of time "the dark ages" Look at non-religious Counties compared to ours like Sweden.