Can Earth survive without religion or belief in ? ?

Options

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    @BiblicalAtheist i know you don't believe in spirit, but the bible is very clear that existence is more than the physically world and the kingdom of ? is more than just this life. I can pull many verses from the gospel talking about it to prove my point
    Yes I am aware of those verse as well, and I guess in some sorts I think there is another place other than here. But for this purpose of what I am saying I believe heaven and hell to be more of the mind type worlds. Sadly a lot of us choose to not only live in hell, but create it.

I don't know what to call it, I'd be most happy 'energy' over spirit. Energy is tangible, spirit is too hard to nail down. I say there is something greater than us because the parts cannot exist without the whole, even if that whole is merely energy. Energy imo must retain some sort of consciousness/intelligence or else it could not have built upon itself. It retains ya know?

Also I am more theist than atheist because of the mind. We can't even locate the mind but yet we're gonna use our minds to say something like ? doesn't exist. Seems funny to me.

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Please tell you realize how childish that kind of thought process is; someone specifically had to die on a cross to prepare a magical heavenly world apart from this world. Jesus said the kingdom of ? was close at hand; near by, that doesn't spell 'not of this world', it spells right here, right now, it is obtainable.

We all fall short, ? , jesus, holy ghost doesn't expect us to be perfect, they do however expect us to practice being perfect. And the only thing impeding that is ignorance.

All sin must be paid for if Christ did not die then all humans would have to pay for their sins. And the wages of sin is death and I mean real death.

How childish is it of you to not expect ? to practice justice by his own rules ? cannot just let sin go unpunished.

The kingdom of ? is not only a reference to heaven but to how ? does things on earth
    All that is chinese to me. Sin is 'to err, to miss the mark'. Errors aren't punished(I mean they are right now, hence the ways of the world), errors are corrected. You correct errors by either fixing mistakes or never doing the error again(repentance) by removing the ignorance that led to the error in the first place.

That is the curse of mankind, we learn backwards, through error, sometimes it isn't until many repeat tries do we hit the mark. Not a single one of us escapes it. Jesus would have to be ? incarnate cuz for a human to be aware of their every thought, action and word would take a miracle!

You can believe what you wish but Sorry that's is not what the bible teaches ? punishes these errors all over the bible plus this is what a sin is

1 john
    3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

• BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Please tell you realize how childish that kind of thought process is; someone specifically had to die on a cross to prepare a magical heavenly world apart from this world. Jesus said the kingdom of ? was close at hand; near by, that doesn't spell 'not of this world', it spells right here, right now, it is obtainable.

We all fall short, ? , jesus, holy ghost doesn't expect us to be perfect, they do however expect us to practice being perfect. And the only thing impeding that is ignorance.

All sin must be paid for if Christ did not die then all humans would have to pay for their sins. And the wages of sin is death and I mean real death.

How childish is it of you to not expect ? to practice justice by his own rules ? cannot just let sin go unpunished.

The kingdom of ? is not only a reference to heaven but to how ? does things on earth
    All that is chinese to me. Sin is 'to err, to miss the mark'. Errors aren't punished(I mean they are right now, hence the ways of the world), errors are corrected. You correct errors by either fixing mistakes or never doing the error again(repentance) by removing the ignorance that led to the error in the first place.

That is the curse of mankind, we learn backwards, through error, sometimes it isn't until many repeat tries do we hit the mark. Not a single one of us escapes it. Jesus would have to be ? incarnate cuz for a human to be aware of their every thought, action and word would take a miracle!

You can believe what you wish but Sorry that's is not what the bible teaches ? punishes these errors all over the bible plus this is what a sin is

1 john
    3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Sin(7683)

to go astray, err, commit sin or error

(Qal)

to err (mentally)

to sin (ignorantly or inadvertently)

Jesus didn't punish people, he corrected people and set their sights. No longer were they blind!
  • zombie
    Options
    which law am i talking about???

Matthew 22:36-40
    36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your ? with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
  • zombie
    Options
    @BiblicalAtheist i know you don't believe in spirit, but the bible is very clear that existence is more than the physically world and the kingdom of ? is more than just this life. I can pull many verses from the gospel talking about it to prove my point
    Yes I am aware of those verse as well, and I guess in some sorts I think there is another place other than here. But for this purpose of what I am saying I believe heaven and hell to be more of the mind type worlds. Sadly a lot of us choose to not only live in hell, but create it.

I don't know what to call it, I'd be most happy 'energy' over spirit. Energy is tangible, spirit is too hard to nail down. I say there is something greater than us because the parts cannot exist without the whole, even if that whole is merely energy. Energy imo must retain some sort of consciousness/intelligence or else it could not have built upon itself. It retains ya know?

Also I am more theist than atheist because of the mind. We can't even locate the mind but yet we're gonna use our minds to say something like ? doesn't exist. Seems funny to me.

Ok i guess you can use energy instead spirit i don't see much of a difference.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your ? with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

The only way I could love ? with all my mind would be if before every thought, action and word I thought of ? , I've practiced that, I didn't ever really have much to say.
  • zombie
    Options

1 john

Sin(7683)

(Qal)

to err (mentally)

Jesus didn't punish people, he corrected people and set their sights. No longer were they blind!

The definition of sin found in bible naturally trumps the definition of the dictionary , ? will correct you but you are also in some way going to get punished and the only way to escape that punishment is to repent and lay it on christ.
  • zombie
    Options

The only way I could love ? with all my mind would be if before every thought, action and word I thought of ? , I've practiced that, I didn't ever really have much to say.

I think you are missing the point when you love ? you have to do it fully ? should be the most important thing in your life, how you live should be based on that love, that's what is being said not to go around a religiously preoccupied mad man. by the way religious preoccupation is a real mental sickness
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options

1 john

Sin(7683)

(Qal)

to err (mentally)

The definition of sin found in bible naturally trumps the definition of the dictionary , ? will correct you but you are also in some way going to get punished and the only way to escape that punishment is to repent and lay it on christ.
    That's the definition of the word, if you go to a hebrew or greek dictionary, sin means err, to miss the mark. That's it's intended meaning in the instances of the bible.

Yes we suffer from our mistakes even if we correct them, and sometimes punishment endures a long time.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options

I think you are missing the point when you love ? you have to do it fully ? should be the most important thing in your life, how you live should be based on that love, that's what is being said not to go around a religiously preoccupied mad man. by the way religious preoccupation is a real mental sickness

And love is:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

So knowing this and the two main commandments, and transgression when you know it's a wrong is even worse than doing it out of ignorance, aren't you worried ? is gonna ? slap your ass for your attitude and words in the GNS last week? Or how do you go about applying these verses to your life?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLb3o65q0vk&feature=player_detailpage

--? up but funny video....Black Israelites going crazy. I love the Bible quotes they're using
  • zombie
    Options

And love is:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

So knowing this and the two main commandments, and transgression when you know it's a wrong is even worse than doing it out of ignorance, aren't you worried ? is gonna ? slap your ass for your attitude and words in the GNS last week? Or how do you go about applying these verses to your life?

lol ha trust me i am fully aware of my own sins and short falls of perfection the thing is I KNOW alot of people either don't know or pretend that what they do is ok, which means they cannot repent for it.
  • zombie
    Options

1 john

Sin(7683)

(Qal)

to err (mentally)

That's the definition of the word, if you go to a hebrew or greek dictionary, sin means err, to miss the mark. That's it's intended meaning in the instances of the bible.

Yes we suffer from our mistakes even if we correct them, and sometimes punishment endures a long time.

the meaning of a word without it's proper context is useless
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options

Are you saying I don't know how a dictionary works? I got like 4 of them man! I know what I'm doing.
  • zombie
    edited December 2014
    Options

Are you saying I don't know how a dictionary works? I got like 4 of them man! I know what I'm doing.

saying sin is to miss the mark means little unless you tell me more like what is the mark in the first place. Biblically speaking the mark should be obedience to ? . How do you obey ? ?? you do what he commands his laws have been codified in the old testament and brought to their full meaning/apex in the new testament.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Loving ? and thy neighbor are the two utmost important laws. Love is that verse posted earlier, so any deviation from that, is an error to that which it is, patience, kindness, etc....The mark is patience, kindness, selflessness, truth driven etc....
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems you're getting off track in the thread, the question was, CAN Earth survive without religion, and it's obvious the answer is yes. I don't understand what the hell you're still in denial about.....some people or many people need religion but many others don't and they do just fine. We all need something to believe in though I think but it doesn't have to be a ? in the sky

Yeah, now you don't want to address the faulty nonsense logic of your posts in this thread, Ok. The earth may exist as a planet if all humans die but can society continue is there is no religion???? No one knows because like i said EARLIER as far back as anyone can tell religions have always been with mankind. and every society that has tried to totally strip it self of any kind of religion has ended badly.

You're right, maybe I change my mind, mankind has no moral compass without ? . Without ? , all mankind would ? , murder, steal, etc. Good thing we got ? .

They say the same things would happen without police
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »
    It seems you're getting off track in the thread, the question was, CAN Earth survive without religion, and it's obvious the answer is yes. I don't understand what the hell you're still in denial about.....some people or many people need religion but many others don't and they do just fine. We all need something to believe in though I think but it doesn't have to be a ? in the sky

Yeah, now you don't want to address the faulty nonsense logic of your posts in this thread, Ok. The earth may exist as a planet if all humans die but can society continue is there is no religion???? No one knows because like i said EARLIER as far back as anyone can tell religions have always been with mankind. and every society that has tried to totally strip it self of any kind of religion has ended badly.

You're right, maybe I change my mind, mankind has no moral compass without ? . Without ? , all mankind would ? , murder, steal, etc. Good thing we got ? .

They say the same things would happen without police

Is kind of weird how easily ? is replaced by police in that.....
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

YOU CAN have morals that run against your conscience, morals that are based on feelings are not real morals because morals don't flip flop and change all over the place feelings do, i don't see where you are going with this

we don't need ? to have subjective morals (fake morals) but we do need some celestial law to have objective morals. people with morals follow their code no matter how they feel.

Okay, so back in the day the divinely inspired texts said we should be stone our heathen children to death, human on their own subjective feelings said ? that. Who's right?

If you are referring to the old testament then the text was right and the child should have been stoned because having children that don't obey and follow other religions is a greater threat to the entire tribe

No no, we're talking about the here an now. We've grown an HUMANS with our ? feeling morals, who's right? Do we stone all these bastard ass children here and now?

WELL FOR here and now we are ordered by ? to forgive our children so we don't stone them. On a side note religion has been around so long that the so called morals that most atheist think they possess are in truth informed by the very religion they reject. if we are talking about people living in the western world then that morality comes from the abrahamic religion. SO most ATHEIST really have no morality/ code of ethnics of there own.

they either follow abrahamic influenced morality or just follow/make up there own subjective morality as they go along which is no real morality at all
    And yet, I haven't heard from one bible believer why lying/stealing/murder* is bad other than because ? said so.

Whoever created this existence automatically has ownership of it. Everything we do either follows or violates the ownership laws of the Creator. If you lie about something, you're bending the perception of a reality that was purposefully designed. To murder someone is to take out an existence sent to do ? 's will. And so forth and so forth. What people don't understand... religion or no religion, we are all part of this existence and are responsible for our own actions as it relates to the summation of existence. Lying/stealing/murder is wrong on a fundamental level, and the wars and other ? we're going thru is just ? correcting the mistakes we made, hence all the war/slavery references (which I also have issues with).
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Lying/stealing/murder is wrong on a fundamental level:

If you lie about something, you're bending the perception of a reality that was purposefully designed.

To murder someone is to take out an existence sent to do ? 's will.

I agree a lie is bending the perception of a reality, but what is the reality that was purposefully designed?

Are all people sent to do ? 's will, and if so, is it bad humans get rid of horrible murders which in turn saves lives?

• kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Satanists put up their own temple in Michigan yesterday, looks kind of cool....it's a big statue of a snake, which resembles light, individualism and knowledge in Satanism

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Christians and Satanists put up competing displays Sunday on the Michigan Capitol grounds as Christmas week got underway.

The Detroit chapter of the Satanic Temple set up its "Snaketivity Scene" featuring a snake offering a book called "Revolt of the Angels" as a gift. The snake is wrapped around the Satanic cross on the 3-feet-by-3-feet display. Capitol rules require that displays have to be taken down each night.

In a videotaped interview with the Lansing State Journal (http://on.lsj.com/1z9vp1h ), Satanic Temple spokeswoman Jex Blackmore said her group doesn't worship Satan but does promote individuality, compassion and views that differ from Christian and conservative beliefs.

Blackmore said that the "holiday season is a time of year that is celebrated in many different ways."

"Having our government endorse one singular viewpoint or method of celebrating the season is problematic when we have a diverse community of people in Michigan," she said.

Word of the Satanic Temple's plans led state Sen. Rick Jones, a Grand Ledge Republican, to ? a Nativity scene on Friday featuring baby Jesus, Joseph and Mary. He put it back up Sunday morning.

--Nice display of peace btw religions before the holidays

• kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Religion continues to spread its wonderful graces throughout the world. Especially in the Middle East....

http://news.yahoo.com/women-excised-public-life-abused-063315706.html

BEIRUT (AP) — The gunmen came to the all-girls' elementary school in the Iraqi city of Fallujah at midday with a special delivery: piles of long black robes with gloves and face veils, now required dress code for females in areas ruled by the Islamic State group.

"These are the winter version. Make sure every student gets one," one of the men told a supervisor at the school earlier this month.

Extremists are working to excise women from public life across the territory controlled by the Islamic State group, stretching hundreds of kilometers (miles) from the outskirts of the Syrian city of Aleppo in the west to the edges of the Iraqi capital in the east.

The group has been most notorious for its atrocities, including the horrors it inflicted on women and girls from Iraq's minority Yazidi community when its fighters overran their towns this year. Hundreds of Yazidi women and girls were abducted and given to extremists as slaves. A report by Amnesty International released Tuesday said the captives — including girls as young as 10-12 — endured torture, ? and sexual slavery, and that several abducted girls committed suicide.

In day-to-day life, the group has also dramatically hemmed in women's lives across the Sunni Muslim heartland that makes up the bulk of Islamic State group territory, activists and residents say. Their movements are restricted and their opportunity for work has shrunk.

While the Islamic State group imposes its extremist vision of Islamic law on Sunni Muslim women under its rule, it went further when it overran the Iraqi villages of the Yazidi minority in early August. The extremists consider followers of the Yazidi faith as infidels — and thus permissible to enslave.

--YAY RELIGION! ALL HAIL the kind hearted, all accepting Abrahamic ? !!!!

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Satanists put up their own temple in Michigan yesterday, looks kind of cool....it's a big statue of a snake, which resembles light, individualism and knowledge in Satanism

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Christians and Satanists put up competing displays Sunday on the Michigan Capitol grounds as Christmas week got underway.

The Detroit chapter of the Satanic Temple set up its "Snaketivity Scene" featuring a snake offering a book called "Revolt of the Angels" as a gift. The snake is wrapped around the Satanic cross on the 3-feet-by-3-feet display. Capitol rules require that displays have to be taken down each night.

In a videotaped interview with the Lansing State Journal (http://on.lsj.com/1z9vp1h ), Satanic Temple spokeswoman Jex Blackmore said her group doesn't worship Satan but does promote individuality, compassion and views that differ from Christian and conservative beliefs.

Blackmore said that the "holiday season is a time of year that is celebrated in many different ways."

"Having our government endorse one singular viewpoint or method of celebrating the season is problematic when we have a diverse community of people in Michigan," she said.

Word of the Satanic Temple's plans led state Sen. Rick Jones, a Grand Ledge Republican, to ? a Nativity scene on Friday featuring baby Jesus, Joseph and Mary. He put it back up Sunday morning.

You know the snake is a metaphor of our spinal cord and glands systems. It goes back to Botswana 68,000 BCE. Look it up.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

You know the snake is a metaphor of our spinal cord and glands systems. It goes back to Botswana 68,000 BCE. Look it up.

Wow will do so.....
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is a precept for this....
    1 John 5:3-4

3 For this is the love of ? , that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4 For whatsoever is born of ? overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

and that's the new testament......