Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    Meroe wrote: »

The would genie is taken from the Arabic word for a spirit, which they called Djinni.

umm yes this is a well known fact. What's your point? Any spiritual entity could have been used in my example.
    So basically nothing you said was any different than what he Proposed.
    Umm yes they're vastly different. I could explain the difference if you have troubles understanding.
    The science you worship
    I don't worship anything but if something had to be worshiped it would be the thing that vastly improved everyone's life and living expectancy like science.
    acknowledges the existence of multiple dimensions. Just because it is too infantile to foray into the topography of said planes doesn't make the multitude of schools whom profess to train people in activating the faculties that make travel and perception of said planes any less legit.

Please don't pretend to be scientifically literate. You'll embarrass your self. First of all, the minority of cosmologists that do believe in multi universes do not believe these are of supernatural origin or nature so your point is moot regardless. Even so, it's only conjecture and not a proven scientific theory. . There isn't a overwhelming majority of scientist that believes in such.
    In other words, there are ways to experience it yourself. You're just too lazy to take the time to research and apply the knowledge.

Not lazy just too rational to believe in pseudoscience.

HAS science vastly improved human life?? an argument could be made that the creations of science are actively killing the entire planet and human life being longer does not equal life being better. Science might not fully accept multiple dimension as really existing but science does not categorically rejects it's possibility either which is hypocrisy.

This is by far the most ignorant thing you've said. Has science improved human life? Look at the correlation between technological, medical, agricultural and biological advances and life expectancy. Science has eradicated small pox for crying out loud.

Lol longer human life doens't equal life being better. I'm done you gave the false impression of being a critical thinker. People take everyday scientific advancements for granted. Do you think life was better in the dark ages as opposed to know lmao....I'm done

IT'S ignorant to you because it does not fit your very limited perspective and clearly you have not understood what i am getting at with my question. i am not saying that science has not done good things but do these things really make living better?? for example we have television now so people spend less time reading the youth don't go outside anymore they play video games. we have cars now but the air is ? up we have all kinds of plastics now but there is poison in the fish and a nation sized pile of old plastic floating in the sea.

people live longer now but the average person is over stressed and family is less important we have nuclear power now but we also have nuclear bombs now. we have cured smallpox but we also have biological weapons now. and don't bring up history you proved you don't know a ? thing about it in the other thread.
  • zombie
    Options
    science has created physical good but cannot address the inner being of man that is why as our knowledge increases we still stay the murderous, selfish and greedy intelligent creatures we are. This reduction of man into purely animal and the perspective that all that exists is the physical world will make human life no better where is really counts.
  • zombie
    edited December 2014
    Options
    what is the point in living till 100 if more than half that time you spend living from pay check to pay check, a wage slave. eating ? food that does not taste as good as it did 50 years ago and breathing air that taste like ? and drinking water that is loaded with chemicals. better to die at 40 if that's how you are going to live.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do not believe that EVERYTHING has to be objective, to me subjective experience has great value
    Right, but the subjective(in the mind) experience that is true for you may not be necessarily true for someone elses mind(or subjective reality), nor does your subjective experience have any bearing on objective(outside the mind) reality.

You're penalizing people for not having the same subjective reality as you, but we never could because we're not you!

There are somethings that are collectively subjective meaning anyone who experiences it will have a similar experience but will lack a way to objectively prove the reality of what they experienced without personal input.

being subjective is more like giving a opinion about the reality you experienced it does not invalidate an experiences reality, a subjective experience is not based on imagination it's a personal perspective not an invention of the mind.

When you say 'collective subjective', what do you mean?
    science has created physical good but cannot address the inner being of man that is why as our knowledge increases we still stay the murderous, selfish and greedy intelligent creatures we are. This reduction of man into purely animal and the perspective that all that exists is the physical world will make human life no better where is really counts.

Wouldn't/couldn't psychology and be responsible for that?
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think spirit/mind is one in the same. Real question is what happens to it when we die? Does it die with the physical body or is it something beyond that. I need that answer. Nobody ? has it.

it leaves. Your spirit is in your heart. When a person dies, the heart chambers are empty. Now, your chambers are filled with somekind of gas/energy. Nobody knows where it goes when we die.

my theory is it travels to another part of the universe.
  • Alkinduz
    Options
    what is the point in living till 100 if more than half that time you spend living from pay check to pay check, a wage slave. eating ? food that does not taste as good as it did 50 years ago and breathing air that taste like ? and drinking water that is loaded with chemicals. better to die at 40 if that's how you are going to live.

we are closer to immortality than you might think. Some Australian chick discovered how to keep our cells from dying(cause when we age, its because cells are not reproducing/regenerating). You can ready buy the meds....she got a noble prize for her work.

side effecy is high risk for cancer....but in Holland (lumc) they allready have the cure for cancer, its all about the money now...

do the math. O,
  • Alkinduz
    Options
    Anyway, ghosts feel like a hot wind...and its high traffic at 3am for some reason.

according to Indonesian folklore.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options

acknowledges the existence of multiple dimensions. Just because it is too infantile to foray into the topography of said planes doesn't make the multitude of schools whom profess to train people in activating the faculties that make travel and perception of said planes any less legit.

Please don't pretend to be scientifically literate. You'll embarrass your self. First of all, the minority of cosmologists that do believe in multi universes do not believe these are of supernatural origin or nature so your point is moot regardless. Even so, it's only conjecture and not a proven scientific theory. . There isn't a overwhelming majority of scientist that believes in such.

Please dont pretend to know my educational background, it makes you sound stupid. Scientific validation for my experiences means nothing to me, therefore my point still stands.

there needs not to be an overwhelming support for theories to make them valid from an individual perspective in the beginning. I wasnt aware had science had a monolithic consensus on every point of research, sure seems to me like if that were the case, then it wouldnt be evolving as quickly as it is, or revising what it proclaims to know on a daily basis.

The difference between self righteous posters like yourself, and real scientists at the forefront of cutting edge research is that they dont cling to old paradigms to justify ignoring spiritual science, its becoming apparent a minority is embracing it. a few examples that can be given is the Russian Government's huge metaphysical research programs which have come to the point of abducting spiritual masters for interrogation of information, even before the end of WW2, to the CIA's remote viewing program, The United States New Earth Army, and the Chinese Government's regulation of the practice of Qigong.

But I guess you personally would know better than the 3 biggest governments researching arms wouldn't you?
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • zombie
    Options
    Alkinduz wrote: »

we are closer to immortality than you might think. Some Australian chick discovered how to keep our cells from dying(cause when we age, its because cells are not reproducing/regenerating). You can ready buy the meds....she got a noble prize for her work.

side effecy is high risk for cancer....but in Holland (lumc) they allready have the cure for cancer, its all about the money now...

do the math. O,

Yeah but is that a good thing??? Immortality on this earth with people being the way we are sounds horrible.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *sigh* I guess more ether is needed.

IT'S ignorant to you because it does not fit your very limited perspective and clearly you have not understood what i am getting at with my question. i am not saying that science has not done good things but do these things really make living better??
    umm yes they do. Everything from having mountains of peer reviewed at your finger tips, to airplanes capable of international travel, to the eradication of numerous virus to mapping the human genome to mass producing food on a large scale to feed the worlds population. Tell me, what has spirituality done to make our lives better?
    for example we have television now so people spend less time reading the youth don't go outside anymore they play video games. we have cars now but the air is ? up we have all kinds of plastics now but there is poison in the fish and a nation sized pile of old plastic floating in the sea.

Well yes we have technology that makes our lives more sedentary but some personal responsibility from individuals and governments are needed. Nothing new is perfect and without is flaws but as far as science goes, the good far outweighs the bad or else it wouldn't be a such an adopted successful methodology. I do see your point though.
    people live longer now but the average person is over stressed and family is less important we have nuclear power now but we also have nuclear bombs now. we have cured smallpox but we also have biological weapons now.

Like I said yes nothing is perfect. One could even argue nuclear bombs are a deterrent to long drawn out wars. Not to mention the amount of lives saved vs killed by biological breakthroughs is astounding.
    and don't bring up history you proved you don't know a ? thing about it in the other thread.

Yeah that would be almost as bad as having a "degree in science" and not knowing a "? thing about it"

Have a nice day
  • And_So_It_Burns
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Please dont pretend to know my educational background, it makes you sound stupid. Scientific validation for my experiences means nothing to me, therefore my point still stands

Lol you tell me not to know your educational background and then say science means nothing to you in the same post.
    there needs not to be an overwhelming support for theories to make them valid from an individual perspective in the beginning.
    ummm yes they do lol that's what theories are. unless you're confusing theories with hypothesizes. Theories have to undergo harsh processes of peer review and validation before becoming an accepted scientific theory. I can tell you more about the methodology if you would like.

I wasnt aware had science had a monolithic consensus on every point of research, sure seems to me like if that were the case, then it wouldnt be evolving as quickly as it is, or revising what it proclaims to know on a daily basis.
    Observation (≠) Accepted theories.
    The difference between self righteous posters like yourself, and real scientists at the forefront of cutting edge research
    Please dont pretend to know my educationalprofessional background, it makes you sound stupid.

• zombie
    edited December 2014
    Options

IT'S ignorant to you because it does not fit your very limited perspective and clearly you have not understood what i am getting at with my question. i am not saying that science has not done good things but do these things really make living better??
    umm yes they do. Everything from having mountains of peer reviewed at your finger tips, to airplanes capable of international travel, to the eradication of numerous virus to mapping the human genome to mass producing food on a large scale to feed the worlds population. Tell me, what has spirituality done to make our lives better?
    for example we have television now so people spend less time reading the youth don't go outside anymore they play video games. we have cars now but the air is ? up we have all kinds of plastics now but there is poison in the fish and a nation sized pile of old plastic floating in the sea.

Well yes we have technology that makes our lives more sedentary but some personal responsibility from individuals and governments are needed. Nothing new is perfect and without is flaws but as far as science goes, the good far outweighs the bad or else it wouldn't be a such an adopted successful methodology. I do see your point though.
    people live longer now but the average person is over stressed and family is less important we have nuclear power now but we also have nuclear bombs now. we have cured smallpox but we also have biological weapons now.

Like I said yes nothing is perfect. One could even argue nuclear bombs are a deterrent to long drawn out wars. Not to mention the amount of lives saved vs killed by biological breakthroughs is astounding.
    and don't bring up history you proved you don't know a ? thing about it in the other thread.

Yeah that would be almost as bad as having a "degree in science" and not knowing a "? thing about it"

Have a nice day

lol at the feelings. all you did was support my opinion all those things you mentioned as being good for mankind are a matter of opinion and you all but admitted it. let me tell you something airplanes, the internet and all the technological marvels of the modern world are nice but they come with clear drawbacks and huge risks.

all this technology could very well be leading our whole species into extinction, most of the ? technology creates is ? we don't need and we are killing each other and the planet to get it. Do you know how many people are enslaved in some way so that you can have your new ? cell phone THAT YOU DON'T NEED or how much pollution the use and creation of one computer makes.

what spiritually has done for mankind is incalculable it has given individuals joy, love and a clear purpose for living out of all human ENDEAVORS it has created the tightest socials bonds and the greatest care for the public. it erodes selfishness within the group one belongs too and has been at the forefront of many social changes in human history.

I have mastered a science but I don't embody the process of science, I don't live science. It's just something I studied. A time is going to come when people reject not technological innovation but your ideological stance on it. WHAT area of the sciences are you in?? what level of education do you have???

you talk about feeding people I have both an mba and a masters in agricultural science I qualify to be an agronomist so I know how to feed the people and we have more than enough to feed all the people but we don't feed them because our advanced society does not care about humanity, so in this case science is not used to feed the people and is sometimes used to control a people and their politics. it's part of what the technologically advanced west does to keep control of certain areas of the world.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    Options
    I have a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options

I can actually agree with some parts of this, I've said similar in other threads. But a lot of those problems are caused by crooked govt officials who care more about profits then the environment and peoples' safety. Science has done a lot of good but govt and crooked companies and politicians use science to ruin a lot (of people or land) to benefit a select few.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options

Have a nice day

Yeah science has done way more good then bad in the long run. Its really crooked govt officials and companies, like many that support fracking which is poisonous to the environment in the long run. It's already messing up water in some parts of the south and midwest but science in the end may even help some of the problems of fracking (if we're lucky).

I think it's possible there's ghosts or spirits out there but maybe only some can see them? Perhaps in the way that animals can see/smell/hear things that humans can't. If you read the story about Annabelle the doll and the sailor doll, it seems possible. A whole bunch of people verified these stories, especially with the sailor doll in Florida a couple of decades ago, so I'm not sure what to think.
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do not believe that EVERYTHING has to be objective, to me subjective experience has great value
    That's fine but please don't expect anyone to take what you believe as fact. We scientists and engineers have an obligation to believe what is true. Things subjective can never shown to be true and honestly, there isn't a good reason to believe it.
    You don't respect me, i can't respect you to me people who say the spiritual world does not exist are just as delusional as you think i am.
    This is far from the truth. "A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary." There is no superior evidence that a spirit world exist. Until something can be shown to be true, you don't believe in it. That's not delusion, that's called being a rational human being.
    Myself and many others have experienced it Talking to some of you people is like talking to a blind person about color they can never fully get it. Perhaps people who experience the spiritual have a sense that you don't have.
    Which is more likely? The laws of the physical universe momentarily ceased to exist or you misinterpreted what you saw?

I don't care if you take it as fact or not that's not why i come into these kinds of threads. The only reasons i need to believe in anything is my own. You don't want to place any importance on subjective experience that's fine but don't disparage those of us who do, or act as if you have the answers because you don't.

what superior evidence do you have that makes my subjective experience of the supernatural a delusion?? none and ANYTHING THAT IS logically possible can be believed to be real and the rejection of any logical possibility no mater how unlikely is not rational, unless you can prove that a possibility is an impossibility YOU CANNOT positively make a claim about it's reality. You cannot use conventional methods to define the supernatural.

WE DON'T HAVE A FULL UNDERSTANDING OF THE PHYSICAL LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE so to just dismiss the interpretation of any individuals experience without hard proof of the contrary is pure arrogance.

I have a degree in science and what is "true" is murky as ? especially when it comes to certain sciences so don't give me the science is the sole determining factor on truth ? .

These scientific folk never seem able to grasp this concept for whatever reason.
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please dont pretend to know my educational background, it makes you sound stupid. Scientific validation for my experiences means nothing to me, therefore my point still stands.

there needs not to be an overwhelming support for theories to make them valid from an individual perspective in the beginning. I wasnt aware had science had a monolithic consensus on every point of research, sure seems to me like if that were the case, then it wouldnt be evolving as quickly as it is, or revising what it proclaims to know on a daily basis.

The difference between self righteous posters like yourself, and real scientists at the forefront of cutting edge research is that they dont cling to old paradigms to justify ignoring spiritual science, its becoming apparent a minority is embracing it. a few examples that can be given is the Russian Government's huge metaphysical research programs which have come to the point of abducting spiritual masters for interrogation of information, even before the end of WW2, to the CIA's remote viewing program, The United States New Earth Army, and the Chinese Government's regulation of the practice of Qigong.

But I guess you personally would know better than the 3 biggest governments researching arms wouldn't you?

Say what now??!!
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    G.Avant wrote: »

Say what now??!!

I just pm'ed u about it.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    Options

lol at the feelings. all you did was support my opinion all those things you mentioned as being good for mankind are a matter of opinion and you all but admitted it.
    No they're not a matter of opinion. The modern medical breakthroughs are objectively good. You really want to argue that MRI's being better for us are a matter of opinion lol. Personally, one of my good friend's mother was actually saved by this device. We could talk about the thousands of anti bacterial and viral drugs that have saved lives in probably the billions at this point.
    let me tell you something airplanes, the internet and all the technological marvels of the modern world are nice but they come with clear drawbacks and huge risks.
    Yes, just like spiritual ideology and religion. Look at 9/11. Those people believed in the supernatural and that they were severing a spiritual being and killed thousands. So yes, there are drawbacks I'm sure you would say the drawbacks and risks in religion or spirituality are worth it.
    all this technology could very well be leading our whole species into extinction, most of the ? technology creates is ? we don't need and we are killing each other and the planet to get it. Do you know how many people are enslaved in some way so that you can have your new ? cell phone THAT YOU DON'T NEED or how much pollution the use and creation of one computer makes.

What do you mean we are killing each other to get it? Do you think more people are killed over technology everyday or spiritual ideology?
    what spiritually has done for mankind is incalculable it has given individuals joy, love and a clear purpose for living out of all human ENDEAVORS it has created the tightest socials bonds and the greatest care for the public. it erodes selfishness within the group one belongs too and has been at the forefront of many social changes in human history.

sorry but all of this could have been accomplished through secular means. Joy, love and clear purpose for living are all subjective as well. What is demonstrably true is the conflicts and war this ideology has created.
    I have mastered a science but I don't embody the process of science, I don't live science. It's just something I studied. A time is going to come when people reject not technological innovation but your ideological stance on it.

Honestly, based on recent polls, people are more likely to reject spirituality in the future.
    [/b]you talk about feeding people I have both an mba and a masters in agricultural science I qualify to be an agronomist so I know how to feed the people and we have more than enough to feed all the people but we don't feed them because our advanced society does not care about humanity, so in this case science is not used to feed the people and is sometimes used to control a people and their politics. it's part of what the technologically advanced west does to keep control of certain areas of the world.

On a side note, I know very little about your field of study. Always thought it was an interesting field. Coincidentally, I design the hydraulic test systems for the motors that turn all of the agricultural vehicles. Like John Deere, Bobcat etc...
  • zombie
    Options

lol at the feelings. all you did was support my opinion all those things you mentioned as being good for mankind are a matter of opinion and you all but admitted it.
    No they're not a matter of opinion. The modern medical breakthroughs are objectively good. You really want to argue that MRI's being better for us are a matter of opinion lol. Personally, one of my good friend's mother was actually saved by this device. We could talk about the thousands of anti bacterial and viral drugs that have saved lives in probably the billions at this point.
    let me tell you something airplanes, the internet and all the technological marvels of the modern world are nice but they come with clear drawbacks and huge risks.
    Yes, just like spiritual ideology and religion. Look at 9/11. Those people believed in the supernatural and that they were severing a spiritual being and killed thousands. So yes, there are drawbacks I'm sure you would say the drawbacks and risks in religion or spirituality are worth it.

What do you mean we are killing each other to get it? Do you think more people are killed over technology everyday or spiritual ideology?

sorry but all of this could have been accomplished through secular means. Joy, love and clear purpose for living are all subjective as well. What is demonstrably true is the conflicts and war this ideology has created.
    I have mastered a science but I don't embody the process of science, I don't live science. It's just something I studied. A time is going to come when people reject not technological innovation but your ideological stance on it.

Honestly, based on recent polls, people are more likely to reject spirituality in the future.
    [/b]you talk about feeding people I have both an mba and a masters in agricultural science I qualify to be an agronomist so I know how to feed the people and we have more than enough to feed all the people but we don't feed them because our advanced society does not care about humanity, so in this case science is not used to feed the people and is sometimes used to control a people and their politics. it's part of what the technologically advanced west does to keep control of certain areas of the world.

On a side note, I know very little about your field of study. Always thought it was an interesting field. Coincidentally, I design the hydraulic test systems for the motors that turn all of the agricultural vehicles. Like John Deere, Bobcat etc...

I put very little stock in opinion polls about how people feel about the future of religion, a turn around can be made in less than a generation. I was in nyc on 9/11 and many so called atheist went to church on that day or right after it. The only SECULAR organization that can has been proven to create the same type of tight social bonds that religion does is the military, Let me know when members of secular organizations are ready to die or ? for each other or for the organization, even if you find a few they will be in the extreme minority. The ideologies of the various world religions in human history have very rarely been the actual cause of wars, religion = war is a myth of modern liberal society. WARS have always been fought for practical reasons of resource attainment.

what i meant was that more people suffer because of technology everyday than they do religion, we in the west live with the good of technology but some poor ? some place else has to suffer for our use of it. WHERE DO you think all the old computers end up?? what do you think in driving the conflict in the congo or the ecological destruction of the planet. Medical breakthroughs have been good i will give you that.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A Spirit is liken to that of the wind hence the name its unseen but you feel it and can see its wreckage.

Could you please explain how a spirit is felt?

Like lightening
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good thing I'm not the only superstitious ? up in here.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Doctors and other scientists are still trying to figure it out, but right now they are clear that the brain has control over functions such as speech, controlling body parts but as for the spirit/mind or that intangible part of you that everyone acknowledges and knows makes you-U they haven't been able to find it yet and so it seems the spirit is real.
    Last book I read on this was a Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons.
    It took you deep into what scientists as of 2005 have been able to pin point to what the brain is responsible for and what parts of the human mind/spirit are a mystery still.

I can't wait till they do brain transplants. A lot of questions will be answered then, haha
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh... It's 2015