Sony TV Boss Dissed 'The Boondocks' Creator

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Lights, Camera, Action!
boondocks.jpg

The Boondocks season 4 is the worst thing to ever happen to the series. Weeks before the season premiered, Aaron McGruder issued a statement that he was not involved with production in any way and now we think we know why.

It was strange to not see Aaron McGruder’s touch on the latest season of The Boondocks and it was greatly needed. The most recent and final season of The Boondocks was absolutely terrible and it should not exist. We recently had no real explanation as to why McGruder was not involved in season 4 of The Boondocks, but thanks to more Sony email leaks, we now have a bigger picture on what possibly transpired.

In an email exchange between Norm Aladjem (A. McGruder’s agent) and Sony executives, Aladjem demanded that the release of season 4 should in no way shape or form credit McGruder. Norm Aladjem stated the following regarding McGruder’s involvement with the final season of The Boondocks.

It would have only one purpose: to palm off Aaron’s good name and reputation regarding his life’s work by implying that he is associated with or endorses this season of the Boondocks.

Aladjem also warned Sony about what would happen if they did not pull McGruder’s name from the show before it premiered.

We will have no choice but to protect Aaron and his reputation by putting out a separate, contemporaneous release that separates and distances Aaron from this season. I do not think that’s good for Aaron, or for Sony, or for the show.”

A marketing officer at Sony Pictures Television paints a different scenario on what transpired. Sheraton Kalouria stated that it would be untrue for Sony not to credit McGruder’s involvement and that “he was partially involved.”

Head of Sony Pictures TV, Steve Mosko, completely slammed McGruder with the following statement.

fu*k em’. He’s going to tweet sh*t anyway. The fight will create good press. Send it all my way. I wish he wrote this fast on show.

Whatever transpired between Sony TV and McGruder must have gotten pretty nasty, but here is what we figured happened.

Sony Pictures Television probably put a lot of pressure on McGruder to put out a new season of The Boondocks quickly. McGruder, who is somewhat a perfectionist, also loves creative control. With three great seasons under McGruder’s belt, I am quite confident that McGruder wanted to take his time and deliver another great season. The Boondocks executive producer Carl Jones once told me in an interview that studio executives can be a pain in the ass when it comes to deadlines. I think Sony Pictures TV grew impatient with McGruder and gave the responsibility of producing episodes to other writers. Aaron McGruder more than likely did not like his creative control being stripped away and wanted to distance himself from the final season.

A wise person once said this.

Do what you have to do, just take my name off of it, it won’t be my vision.

The damning part about all of these emails is that Aaron McGruder already knew the final season would be sh*t before it even aired.

Comments

• saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    doesn't seem like much of a diss to me.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We already knew this.
    Cant wait 4 new season of black jeezus
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I actually just bought season 1 at Kmart today. Was on sale fo 7 dolla...

Already had season 2 & 3

Season 4 had no soul
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    Anyone own the books?

Are they actually dope? Or at least be dope for someone who was never a comic book guy?
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont own them but Ive been thinking about it. I'm definitely not a comic head but I think its worth it since I was a fan of the strip first and its the reason why I watch the show.

I've read entire the strip many times over online and it never gets old.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sony on its ? .
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked season 4
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have two books with collections of the strip and its classic. Macgruder and hudlin collaborated on another book as well, birth of a nation, that's classic as well.

The strips>>>>the show
    Sorry to tell y'all
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    I have two books with collections of the strip and its classic. Macgruder and hudlin collaborated on another book as well, birth of a nation, that's classic as well.

The strips>>>>the show
    Sorry to tell y'all

Huey is at his absolute most etherousness in the strip.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I went into season 4 ranting and raving and wanting to hate,but I actually liked that season.

It tackled Chris brown,Hollywood slavery,The kardashians,and a few funny subjects.

They still tried to keep Aaron's storytelling/message format,but they were a little less stinging.

• mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Options
    So how long did he want to take with the last season of the show?? I understand being meticulous and making sure things are perfect, but the last episode of season 3 was in August of 2010.

Maybe I am missing something with regards to whatever plans McGruder had. I mean Black Jesus was not a great substitute to m, but did he want that to come out then devote attention to the Boondocks??
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    Even Pops said it wasn't the same without Aaron and the other voice actors felt the same. He said if they weren't already under contract they wouldn't have done it
  • loch121
    Options
    mikelewis wrote: »
    So how long did he want to take with the last season of the show?? I understand being meticulous and making sure things are perfect, but the last episode of season 3 was in August of 2010.

Maybe I am missing something with regards to whatever plans McGruder had. I mean Black Jesus was not a great substitute to m, but did he want that to come out then devote attention to the Boondocks??

I don't think he wanted to do the season period.I think he wanted season 3 to be the last.

I disagree Black Jesus got better with every ep and is hilarious.Started shaky,but got much better.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    mikelewis wrote: »

I don't think he wanted to do the season period.I think he wanted season 3 to be the last.

I disagree Black Jesus got better with every ep and is hilarious.Started shaky,but got much better.

C/s black jesus
  • antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BoogaSuga wrote: »
    Anyone own the books?

Are they actually dope? Or at least be dope for someone who was never a comic book guy?

I own all the books. I read them before I seen the show. The comic books are very good, but the comics books have almost nothing to do with the show. So if you are a huge fan of the show, you might be disappointed by the comic books. The comics are extremely political, and the main focus of the comics is almost always solely on Huey. Almost all of the side characters and storylines that you see in the show that show black folks acting a fool for comedic effect don't exist in the comic books. A lot of times, many of the comic strips are extremely serious and don't have any comedy or fun in them at all. I personally like the comic books much more than I like the show, and I think Aaron sold out by making the show the way it is.
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    antoseeg wrote: »
    Anyone own the books?

I own all the books. I read them before I seen the show. The comic books are very good, but the comics books have almost nothing to do with the show. So if you are a huge fan of the show, you might be disappointed by the comic books. The comics are extremely political, and the main focus of the comics is almost always solely on Huey. Almost all of the side characters and storylines that you see in the show that show black folks acting a fool for comedic effect don't exist in the comic books. A lot of times, many of the comic strips are extremely serious and don't have any comedy or fun in them at all. I personally like the comic books much more than I like the show, and I think Aaron sold out by making the show the way it is.

Sounds better than the show. Huey is the best part to me. Im dont even like Riley & Ruckus like most people do.

You sold me. Imma have to grab a book off Amazon
  • loch121
    edited December 2014
    Options
    antoseeg wrote: »
    Anyone own the books?

Sounds better than the show. Huey is the best part to me. Im dont even like Riley & Ruckus like most people do.

You sold me. Imma have to grab a book off Amazon

I don't think he sold out at all.He never had ppl acting a fool for no reason or w/out a message.he took the South Park approach.

I also think TV is a different medium and conveying a message in a comic strip/book is different than conveying things in a TV show.

I found the Boondocks hilarious,but very smart
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    Currently at work watching "A Huey Freeman Christmas" right now...

"...dont look at Quincy Jones. Quincy Jones isn't going to protect you."
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have the books and even read the comics as they appeared in the Chicago Sun-Times. It wasn't strictly political, it's just that the animated series didn't focus on politics as much. A lot of "Fresh for 01 You Suckas" spend time targeting the Star Wars Phantom Menace movie and Jar Jar Binks for example. The comedy was always there, be it political or cultural, but it was more so in a Jon Stewart/Bill Maher kind of way and less of a South Park/Family Guy kind of way.

I wish the show had incorporated Cindy, Caesar, and the Star Wars fan.
  • loch121
    Options
    The Boondocks with aaron would have a field day w/ Bill Cosby and police shootings.