San Antonio Spurs or New England Patriots fans. How does it feel?

Options
fightforolddc
fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
Comin from someone who watch two teams (Redskins, Wizards) who've been consistently bad for the last 15-20 years with a couple years of "Yea they OK but they ain't winnin ? ." I feel like sports would be more enjoyable if my team was a real contender but i don't even know what that feels like?

What's it like when your squad can win it all every year?

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a great feeling, the best feeling is when the pats are going undefeated (till the Super Bowl smh), Sox win a pennant and the Celtics win a ship all in the same year to year in a half, I'm greatful to go through my 20's with all this going on, especially after being pretty lousy for a whole decade in the 90's, Spurs fans probably feel the same way I do when I say it's going to be rough times when Brady/Belichick retire and for them Pop/Duncan
  • Knightryder
    Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I dont watch football like that but just from this thread im guessing.......

bill belichick, is the greg popovich of the nfl
    and brady like tim duncan is always on a consistent winning team,that
    always have a chance to go all the way and win it every year........lol

u take a couple pieces out, certain players retire, u ad some new pieces in,
    but it still doesnt matter cause they consistently is always a threat

obviously it feels good, im neither a fan of those 2 teams, but u can imagine
    that it feels good if u are a fan
  • fightforolddc
    Options
    It's a great feeling, the best feeling is when the pats are going undefeated (till the Super Bowl smh), Sox win a pennant and the Celtics win a ship all in the same year to year in a half, I'm greatful to go through my 20's with all this going on, especially after being pretty lousy for a whole decade in the 90's, Spurs fans probably feel the same way I do when I say it's going to be rough times when Brady/Belichick retire and for them Pop/Duncan

It just gotta be a different feeling being a fan. Im honestly asking cause i don't know what it's like to have hope. When BobG3 led us to that division title as a rookie, there was a moment early on in their first playoff game against Seattle ... when I was hype. They had scored two early TDs and there was an excitement that hasn't been in the urrea since I can remember (other than when Barack won). We were so damn happy for a minute.

But the Patriots, every year is like that.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options

It just gotta be a different feeling being a fan. Im honestly asking cause i don't know what it's like to have hope. When BobG3 led us to that division title as a rookie, there was a moment early on in their first playoff game against Seattle ... when I was hype. They had scored two early TDs and there was an excitement that hasn't been in the urrea since I can remember (other than when Barack won). We were so damn happy for a minute.

But the Patriots, every year is like that.

Yea man it's an incredible feeling, Id hate to be from NY, LA, Miami or some garbage sports town like that
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Im a Patriots and Spurs fan. If you don't win it all it's a lost season.We have high standards. So i'm still disappointed din my Pats for a decade now. 2006 to now especially has been rough on me.
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not a fan of either but it can be a gift and a curse. Your team being good enough to win almost every year can get extremely disappointing the years they don't. It makes for a rollercoaster of emotions. Sometimes you may wish you just had a bad team and never worried about winning at all instead of heartbreaking losses. The worst fan feeling of all though is trapped in mediocrity. You win enough to believe in the team, but don't lose enough to make big changes.
  • fightforolddc
    Options
    Not a fan of either but it can be a gift and a curse. Your team being good enough to win almost every year can get extremely disappointing the years they don't. It makes for a rollercoaster of emotions. Sometimes you may wish you just had a bad team and never worried about winning at all instead of heartbreaking losses. The worst fan feeling of all though is trapped in mediocrity. You win enough to believe in the team, but don't lose enough to make big changes.

I can't cosign that. Even if you don't win it all, you as a fan get to do the ? a fan posed to do ... celebrate division, playoff wins, pop big ? about your squad, watch em play in the big games.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited December 2014
    Options

I can't cosign that. Even if you don't win it all, you as a fan get to do the ? a fan posed to do ... celebrate division, playoff wins, pop big ? about your squad, watch em play in the big games.

It's all or nothing. Nobody wants to be the Atlanta Braves of sports or the Buffalo Bills of the late 80s to early 90s or Jason Kidd with the Nets, or Steve Nash with the Suns, unless you were used to losing so much that some form of success makes you feel better in comparison than the ultimate taste of it. No athlete ever goes into pro sports wanting to win "divisional" championships. They all want rings. All or nothing.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Comin from someone who watch two teams (Redskins, Wizards) who've been consistently bad for the last 15-20 years with a couple years of "Yea they OK but they ain't winnin ? ." I feel like sports would be more enjoyable if my team was a real contender but i don't even know what that feels like?

What's it like when your squad can win it all every year?

GOAT'd for humility. It was great in the 90's (Bulls/Cowboys fan). Ever since then...
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not winning it all doesn't necessarily mean you're mediocre. Mediocrity is when you're a fringe playoff team year in year out.

I've been a Spurs fan since I was a kid and looking back on the last 14 years, I'm not disappointed at all cause it's basically impossible to win a chip 100% of the time but it's another thing to say that win or lose, you're in an elite bracket. Everybody can't lay claim the the type of success and consistency the Spurs have. That's something to be proud of.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its expensive....ive seen giants eagles tickets cheaper than some regular season games i try to go to in new england the prices are expensive as ?

Its annoying....some of these fans are annoying as ? at these games and when the pats lose they act stupid as hell and have no idea what they are talking about

its funny...because ? hate on tom brady and talk about how he blew 2 superbowls vs the giants but them same ? be quiet when peyton has shrinked in hella playoffs games in the cold.

its frustrating...because despite winning 3 titles those 2 Ls to the giants were scary and personal. living in connecticut i remember having to go into high school and face the giants fans one year and about 4 years later walking back from a college superbowl party and some giants fan talking ? out the back seat of a car while a car sped away

but its worth it all to have a great team that has far exceeded the success id could ever imagine as a kid when they sucked
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im a Patriots and Spurs fan. If you don't win it all it's a lost season.We have high standards. So i'm still disappointed din my Pats for a decade now. 2006 to now especially has been rough on me.

KYS try being a raider fan since 2003

But I've seen my lakers play 7finals and win 5
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Thank you Pats for those two SB against the Giants
    ? u Spurs for 99 finals but ya still the best team since post MJ bulls imo
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options

What happened to being a Celtics fan?
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is always a great feeling when an under dog team like the Ravens knock an over hyped team like the Pats out lol.? was probably better than when they won the super bowl.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options

It is always a great feeling when an under dog team like the Ravens knock an over hyped team like the Pats out lol.? was probably better than when they won the super bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJDHWIiWF-A

[img]http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/955092/? .gif[/img]

tumblr_lxtss7Wnxm1qhap1n.gif
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options

The year after that though,what happened?

SPORTS_FBN-AFC_14_BZ_96742391-600x541.jpg
    159801631.0_standard_352.0.jpg
    159797699.0.jpg
    Vonta+Leach+AFC+Championship+Baltimore+Ravens+0xU7pHvexUwl.jpg

Is he.. is he.. is he.. dead?

Tom+Brady+AFC+Championship+Baltimore+Ravens+MLCoqyG8C9ll.jpg

We won the super bowl that year too unlike the Pats the year before lol

BS-BS-sp-p15-ravens-patriot.jpg

I can understand why you forgot that one
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? don't care , only thing that matters is we have home field advantage and superbowl bound
  • Huey_C
    Options
    Tom-Brady-sixty-seconds-Bears.jpgthis is brady's year!
  • its....JOHN B
    Options

159797699.0.jpg

tom-brady-lord-of-the-rings.jpg
  • Huey_C
    Options

159797699.0.jpg

tom-brady-lord-of-the-rings.jpg

Top 5 of all time!
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not winning it all doesn't necessarily mean you're mediocre. Mediocrity is when you're a fringe playoff team year in year out.

I've been a Spurs fan since I was a kid and looking back on the last 14 years, I'm not disappointed at all cause it's basically impossible to win a chip 100% of the time but it's another thing to say that win or lose, you're in an elite bracket. Everybody can't lay claim the the type of success and consistency the Spurs have. That's something to be proud of.

+infinity

Us Spurs fans have been blessed sense the drafting of David Robinson. The team has rarely had a down year sense I've been alive and even-though they haven't won back to back I'm always proud that they are in the hunt. It's going to be a sad day when Duncan, Manu & Pop leave. Which I think is sooner rather than later
  • fightforolddc
    Options
    Good article on why Patriots can contend year after year. "Brady’s current contract ranks him 17th among NFL quarterbacks in average annual value. QB luminaries such as Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Carson Palmer and Jay Cutler — combined playoff wins equal two — rank ahead of Saint Thomas of San Mateo.

Forbes valued the Patriots’ franchise at $2.6 billion, the second most valuable franchise in the NFL. Patriots coach Bill Belichick is widely believed to be the highest-paid coach in the NFL, his contract guarded like the nuclear launch codes.

At the time of Brady’s five-year, $57 million extension in 2013, one member of his camp said, “They don’t have a wing in the Hall of Fame for most highly paid players,” justifying the deal."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/12/29/tom-brady-restructures-contract-frees-million-for-patriots/K0zl0j1y36gOshr4d6QuIK/story.html
    Contract tweak will benefit both Tom Brady and Patriots

Once again, Tom Brady has endeared himself to Patriots fans while upsetting agents and other star quarterbacks around the league.

And he just might have gamed the system once again, setting himself up to cash in on another payday in 2016 while creating more cap space for the Patriots.

A source confirmed to the Globe that Brady tweaked his contract to free up cash flow for the Patriots front office, as first reported Monday by ESPN.

Brady’s contract, which he agreed to before the 2013 season, called for him to have his salaries from 2015-17 become fully guaranteed ($24 million in total) this past Saturday. But Brady agreed to take away the full guarantees and convert them to guarantees for injury only. For his trouble, Brady got an extra million in salary in each of the three years — now $8 million in 2015, $9 million in 2016, and $10 million in 2017.

The move has several practical implications both for the Patriots and for Brady’s long-term future. The cap stuff can be mind-numbing, so let’s try to explain this in plain English:

■ Salary-capwise, the move doesn’t have much of an effect. Brady’s cap numbers now increase by $1 million per season — $14 million in 2015, $15 million in 2016, and $16 million in 2017.

■ The move frees up cash for the Kraft family to spend in the 2015 offseason. NFL rules require teams to keep the full amount of a guarantee in reserve, so by removing the full guarantee, the Kraft family no longer has to put $24 million in escrow for Brady this offseason. Instead they can use that cash on signing bonus payments for their upcoming free agents, which include Darrelle Revis, Devin McCourty, Stephen Gostkowski, Shane Vereen, and possibly Nate Solder. Since Brady received an extra $1 million for next year, the Patriots really freed up $16 million in cash (because Brady is owed $8 million).

“They’re not really changing the cap hits, just the cash flows,” said Joel Corry, a salary cap expert for CBS Sports and a former longtime NFL and NBA agent.

■ Removing the full guarantee certainly benefits the Patriots, but also sets a terrible precedent for other star quarterbacks and franchise players around the league. Brady already takes a hometown discount to play for the Patriots, and now has further upset the NFL’s salary structure.

“It goes against all agent advice and infuriates all the agents in the business,” Corry said. “The older quarterbacks like Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, they’re now going to be asked if they’d be willing to do something like Brady just did.

“Most people who are in the business won’t like what he does, but he doesn’t have to make friends in the agent community.”

However, there is more to this move than Brady simply giving the Patriots more financial flexibility to re-sign Revis and other free agents this offseason.

Few league insiders expected Brady to play out his current contract, which is significantly undervalued for a franchise quarterback — the bar is set at about $20 million per year, while Brady was set to make $24 million over three years.

“There was always that speculation that there’s no way he was going to play for $7 [million], $8 [million], and $9 million,” Corry said.

It’s possible that by removing the guarantees, Brady is paving the way for his eventual release. But the far likelier scenario is that the Patriots have now made it much easier to restructure and extend Brady’s contract before the 2016 or 2017 seasons.

Let’s explain:

■ Let’s say the Patriots want to create salary cap space in 2016, in which Brady is set to have a $15 million salary cap number. They could designate Brady a post-June 1 cut, which would give the Patriots salary cap charges of $6 million in both 2016 and 2017. The Patriots could then re-sign Brady to a five-year deal through 2020, which would put more money in his pocket in the short term in a signing bonus, but would lower his cap number in 2016 by spreading the bonus out over five years. He did a similar thing in 2013, converting salary into signing bonus to help ease the cap charges.

Or the Patriots could wait until 2017 to restructure and extend Brady’s contract if they don’t want to toy around with cutting and re-signing him.

“Being in the business, I know there’s more than meets the eye with these things,” Corry said. “You extend [the contract] out so you’ve got five years, give him a signing bonus where he makes more than the $8 million, and pay Brady closer to what he actually deserves.”

■ And here’s another aspect to chew on: The Patriots recently extended director of player personnel Nick Caserio’s contract through 2020. It also prompted the thought that Bill Belichick plans to stay with the Patriots through 2020 as well, giving him a cool two decades on the job with the Patriots.

Is it possible that Brady’s contract tweak was made with the idea of keeping him with the Patriots through 2020, too? If he restructures his deal before 2016, he would almost certainly sign a new five-year deal that takes him through . . . wait for it . . . 2020.

Brady wants to play into his 40s, and the Patriots would be happy to have him as long as he’s playing at a high level. And the two sides may have just figured out a way to make it happen, while giving the Patriots cap flexibility and keeping Brady happy and well-paid.
  • fightforolddc
    Options
    B6Dd5QZIMAAKyx_.png

Of course he already got super guap so it's not like he taking food away from his family. But Tom has to be confident in his abilities to make that sort of move. If he starts falling off like people thought he was in the beginning of the year, NE can just cut him
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get off your knees, threadstarter.

'Ol "I wanna be just like you"-ass ? lol.