Tim Burton Didn’t Direct Another Batman Film Because Warner Bros. Thought ‘Batman Returns’ Was Weird

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Batman-Returns.jpg?w=720&cdnnode=1

Let’s return to a fun time in the Batman franchise, when Tim Burton was at the helm of both ‘Batman’ and ‘Batman Returns,’ sharing his vision of kooky superhero action. Why didn’t Tim Burton make a third Batman film and save us from Joel Schumacher’s black light and Bat-nipple-adorned hell? As Burton makes the press rounds for ‘Big Eyes’ (a film that looks nothing like a Burton film—for better or worse), he’s giving us some answers about why he didn’t direct a third Batman film for Warner Bros.

Way back when, Burton took on the Batman franchise and gave us Bat-films that were quirky and darkly funny, but they could never be too dark or grim because WB was banking on a family-friendly franchise and needed to be able to peddle merchandise to adults and children alike. Regardless of WB’s financial strategy, Burton still delivered great Batman movies that showcased his sensibilities. (As a bonus, we also got a wacky Prince album out of it.)

But in a new interview with Yahoo!, Burton finally explains why he didn’t make a third Batman film for WB, and the answer might surprise you:

I think I upset McDonald’s. [They asked] ‘What’s that black stuff coming out of the Penguin’s mouth. We can’t sell Happy Meals with that!’ It was a weird reaction ‘Batman Returns,’ because half the people thought it was lighter than the first one, and half the people thought it was darker. I think the studio just thought it was too weird —they wanted to go with something more child- or family- friendly. In other words, they didn’t want me to do another one.

‘Batman Returns’ is arguably a better film than Burton’s 1989 ‘Batman,’ and that’s thanks in part to the slightly darker tone and storyline—but ‘Batman Returns’ still isn’t a very dark movie. While there are a few moments (mostly with Catwoman and Penguin) that skew a bit more grim and mature, the overall film is still family-friendly. I was seven when the film came out, and I was instantly obsessed. I bought the toys and I played ‘Batman’ role-playing games with my friends. We all argued over who got to be Catwoman. So the accusation that ‘Batman Returns’ was “too weird” or too dark is kind of ludicrous, especially when you take Christopher Nolan’s later Dark Knight trilogy into account—a superhero franchise that kick-started the rise of gritty, darker superhero films and was a huge success for WB. If they only knew then what they know now, right?

Even though ‘Batman Forever’ was a total ? -show, it debuted as the third highest-grossing film of all time back in 1995. But fans were disappointed with Schumacher’s Bat-movies, and while ‘Batman and Robin’ had a huge opening weekend, its box office dropped by 63% in the second week. Looking back on the Batman franchise now, Burton’s films remain beloved, while Schumacher’s are mocked and despised. Smooth move, WB.

Comments

• A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was a weird movie. I loved it though. The craziest thing looking back is Christoper Walken playing a normal character when he's king of the weirdos.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    I think I upset McDonald’s. [They asked] ‘What’s that black stuff coming out of the Penguin’s mouth. We can’t sell Happy Meals with that!’ It was a weird reaction ‘Batman Returns,’ because half the people thought it was lighter than the first one, and half the people thought it was darker. I think the studio just thought it was too weird —they wanted to go with something more child- or family- friendly. In other words, they didn’t want me to do another one.

Something more ? -friendly with innuendos...

The_Riddler_and_Two_Face.jpg

And how the ? is Bruce just gonna invite grown-ass ? Grayson to come live with him?

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mikelewis wrote: »
    So about the Riddler having "joy-gasms", asking people to spank him, and revealing Robin wanted to be naked with a woman in Batman Forever??

Ask Schumacher, not Burton..

that was a mistake lettting him helm batman. he's known for directing comedies like "car wash.
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    tim burton leaving is one thing. the reason why batman forever and batman and robin had a campy dayglo feel to it is because the set designer for the 1st two movies passed away before he could work on the third.
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

Something more ? -friendly with innuendos...

The_Riddler_and_Two_Face.jpg

And how the ? is Bruce just gonna invite grown-ass ? Grayson to come live with him?

the only thing good about that movie was jim carrey.
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    mikelewis wrote: »
    So about the Riddler having "joy-gasms", asking people to spank him, and revealing Robin wanted to be naked with a woman in Batman Forever??

wasn't joy gasms a ren and stimpy thing?
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman forever gets way too much hate its actually my fav behind the dark knight, i think it gets a bad wrap cause batman and robin was so ? and done by the same director so ppl just throw those two together
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »
    Batman forever gets way too much hate its actually my fav behind the dark knight, i think it gets a bad wrap cause batman and robin was so ? and done by the same director so ppl just throw those two together

Nah yo
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah bruh, they weren't that good. The last one especially. Filled with too many cliques and bright colors. Yet you're callin yourself the "Dark Knight".

Smh
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Options

My point exactly, granted the tone was a lot more jovial (odd in Batman but whatever Warner Bros.), but family friendly??
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah bruh, they weren't that good. The last one especially. Filled with too many cliques and bright colors. Yet you're callin yourself the "Dark Knight".

Smh

I think we can all agree that we'll be getting a much better movie than that Schumacher ? with

1010149_323006397885806_2469102586958652714_n_zpspbgenqwn.jpeg
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tim Burton did that movie right, how could that movie not have been weird? The main villain is a deformed man who liked birds and is based on a Penguin, ? . The ? was perfect.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Them two Schumacher movies were indefensible. But then again without them the Dark Knight trilogy would've never happened
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman Returns was/is my favourite Batman movie.

Lol @ going family friendly by having nippled suits in the next movie. Janet Jackson is ? right now!
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    that ? a person fave of mine now this
    wpid-bat_nipples.jpeg
    qZYhXd1.gif

nh

Was Weird
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tumblr_nh5acilxFd1tnt8s9o1_1280.jpg

Seen this on tumblr

It's supposed to be the early draft for Michael Keaton's Batman suit had he and Burton had done Batman Forever like they were originally planned
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Funny. I was just peeping this the other day. Not better than first one, but still a good flick doe
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tumblr_nh5acilxFd1tnt8s9o1_1280.jpg

Seen this on tumblr

It's supposed to be the early draft for Michael Keaton's Batman suit had he and Burton had done Batman Forever like they were originally planned

That would've been dope. It really shouldn't have taken them this long to go with the black and grey color scheme.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »

Smh

I think we can all agree that we'll be getting a much better movie than that Schumacher ? with

1010149_323006397885806_2469102586958652714_n_zpspbgenqwn.jpeg

cool poster
    now all they have to do is research what batman and superman looks like and switch their photos so it matches their respective names below them
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    which it was.....
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

my Libyan...Batman Forever is a classic to me I seen that ? like 3 times in the theater when it came out